PDA

View Full Version : Second amendment

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Do you support the 2nd amendment?

Do you own guns or just believe in folks inalienable rights to bear arms?

If you own guns, do you go target shooting often?

Hunting?

Discuss!

Powder
09-19-2016, 09:21 PM
I support it, but I do not necessarily want to make use of it. I just feel that the right should remain.

snake
09-19-2016, 09:21 PM
I firmly believe in the second amendment.

I do not yet own any guns. But I will own a small handgun for worst case scenarios when I get my own place.

I don't see the joy in hunting for fun. It seems too harsh for me.

Commenter 42
09-19-2016, 09:37 PM
I support it, but I do not necessarily want to make use of it. I just feel that the right should remain.

Same^^^.

I've never had need of a gun, probably never will.

Andrew NDB
09-19-2016, 10:55 PM

Hunting?

Discuss!

Absolutely, without question. I don't really go hunting... I just like to go camping in the deep forest. I also like to do so with a lot of guns so I can blow away a grizzly or cougar that wants to make a meal of my camping party. I can't even imagine doing the kind of camping we do without at least a gun or two... not going out like the Grizzly Man. Target shooting, sure.

Autbot_Benz
09-19-2016, 11:01 PM
I support the Right to Bear arms not the right to own Military Grade Assault rifles and other military guns. Also The NRA are some paranoid Freaks.

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the honest answer.

I used to feel this way as well. I don't hunt but I found myself feeling afraid of guns and I had been in scouting as a kid til I was 17. Never really used one since. Once or twice shooting a friend's revolver. But I decided I needed to figure out why I was afraid of them and to make myself not be afraid of them just because. I am in awe of their destructive nature but no longer do I fear just guns because.

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 11:08 PM
I firmly believe in the second amendment.

I do not yet own any guns. But I will own a small handgun for worst case scenarios when I get my own place.

I recently purchased a Ruger American to both allow myself use of the second amendment as well as to be prepared for such a day, worst case scenario.

I don't huntil either but most because I like my food dead prior to seeing it, lol.

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 11:10 PM
Absolutely, without question. I don't really go hunting... I just like to go camping in the deep forest. I also like to do so with a lot of guns so I can blow away a grizzly or cougar that wants to make a meal of my camping party. I can't even imagine doing the kind of camping we do without at least a gun or two... not going out like the Grizzly Man. Target shooting, sure.

I kind of figured we would agree here. Seems like it's just smoking that would be an issue (at least so far...lol).

I haven't been camping in ages, but I do believe the last time I did go, one of the guns had a shot gun for animal protection/defense.

mrmaczaps
09-19-2016, 11:16 PM
I support the Right to Bear arms not the right to own Military Grade Assault rifles and other military guns. Also The NRA are some paranoid Freaks.

I would encourage you to look more into the NRA on your own. I myself am not a member but they are not the "evil corporate enemy" that the newspapers make them out to be... I'mean learning too there but so far, not nearly as bad as thearly news says.

As far as type of weapons, I believe he the people should be able to own and maintain weapons of at least near the same capacity as their government. Not every single person needs heat seeking missiles but our enemies have access via black market arms... likely last year's model so to speak... I could be wrong, but it could be true. I don't trust the government to do the right thing so much as they do what makes them the most money. (Also, my old job saw lots of government over spending and throwing away piles of money, just because...)

Wildcat
09-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Funny I was just thinking of this today. There was an episode of What Would You Do? (hidden cam show) where a dad was buying a gun for his kid as the setup and there was actually some people defending it him.

I was surprised some said teaching a kid to fire a gun was a good idea and have purchased them for their kids. Like the lower grade ones. Assuming the show is genuine, which I believe so (regaurdless I'm sure there are people like this in real life).

I'm not against guns but other than like collecting or hunting (which I don't do anyway) I see so no legitimate reason for a civilian to have or be carrying around a gun. In my opinion its just arrogant.

I can kinda see as a self-defense thing in your home for a worst case scenario but even then...you should just try to get out. Not face an intruder.

There were commercials last year I think for small handguns that were all "be prepared" "have the confidence" something like that. One had a girl who thought someone was breaking in so she went and got her gun. The ad made no effort to say the obvious...call 911.

Just carrying around a gun is so arrogant imo. Like ooh look at you :roll:

If you need to carry around a gun you're either...full of yourself or have gotten yourself into one bad situation.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 12:01 AM
I support the Right to Bear arms not the right to own Military Grade Assault rifles and other military guns.

You can't buy "Military Grade Assault Rifles."

Also The NRA are some paranoid Freaks.

I'm not going to say they're beyond reproach, but sometimes they are the only thing stepping between the 100% anti-gun crazies and a battle of attrition that ends with gun rights being completely stripped away. It's not paranoia... the government would be absolutely thrilled if there was 0 right to bear arms.

In fact, it kind of goes hand in hand with the smoking thing. Within just 2 decades, it's gone little by little from... oh, you have to smoke in the smoking section, to oh, no smoking section, to oh, go outside and smoke, to oh, no, go 20 feet away from any entrance, to no smoking in this whole street, even your own home or balcony in many cases. Imagine another 10 years.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 12:07 AM
I haven't been camping in ages, but I do believe the last time I did go, one of the guns had a shot gun for animal protection/defense.

Packed with slugs, I hope. Bear skulls are super thick and they can still Leonardo DiCaprio you if you don't take them down in one.

Camping trips aside, though, we deserve the right to defend ourselves in any situation. Maybe it doesn't work out and maybe it does, but the idea that the only "right" thing to do in a situation where some crazy is going door to door down the hallway making swiss cheese out of everyone is ducking into a cupboard and calling and waiting on 911 to save you is beyond insane to me. And if loved ones are involved? Reprehensible. Don't be a sheep.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:30 AM
Funny I was just thinking of this today. There was an episode of What Would You Do? (hidden cam show) where a dad was buying a gun for his kid as the setup and there was actually some people defending it him.

I was surprised some said teaching a kid to fire a gun was a good idea and have purchased them for their kids. Like the lower grade ones. Assuming the show is genuine, which I believe so (regaurdless I'm sure there are people like this in real life).

I'm not against guns but other than like collecting or hunting (which I don't do anyway) I see so no legitimate reason for a civilian to have or be carrying around a gun. In my opinion its just arrogant.

I can kinda see as a self-defense thing in your home for a worst case scenario but even then...you should just try to get out. Not face an intruder.

There were commercials last year I think for small handguns that were all "be prepared" "have the confidence" something like that. One had a girl who thought someone was breaking in so she went and got her gun. The ad made no effort to say the obvious...call 911.

If you need to carry around a gun you're either...full of yourself or have gotten yourself into one bad situation.

Have you ever had to call 911 and wait for the cops to get there? In Minnesota, a good guy with a gun shot the aloha snack bar yelling muslim that had been standing people... Im sure the next guy in line was grateful the good guy with the gun was around.

When it an emergency situation, I would much rather been seen as arrogant for carrying my self defense weapon on my hip than be found dead on the ground when the cops shoe up.

Are you afraid of guns? I grew up in scouts. We learned first BB guns. It was along with cooking, one of the things I most enjoyed about the program. In my teens, I got out of scouts and didn't shoot another gun until about Ren years ago... I actually was nervous and haven't shot since but like I said, I carry now and am getting ready to take a class. I'm the first line of defense to protect myself and anyone around me. I'm responsible for my well-being... Its like eating better...that's on me. Protecting myself is on me.

It has nothing to do with being arrogant. Or even being weak. Or trying to show off. I dont open carry, but i support the right to do that as well... I just don't recommend it if the person is alone.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:34 AM
You can't buy "Military Grade Assault Rifles."

I'm not going to say they're beyond reproach, but sometimes they are the only thing stepping between the 100% anti-gun crazies and a battle of attrition that ends with gun rights being completely stripped away. It's not paranoia... the government would be absolutely thrilled if there was 0 right to bear arms.

In fact, it kind of goes hand in hand with the smoking thing. Within just 2 decades, it's gone little by little from... oh, you have to smoke in the smoking section, to oh, no smoking section, to oh, go outside and smoke, to oh, no, go 20 feet away from any entrance, to no smoking in this whole street, even your own home or balcony in many cases. Imagine another 10 years.

Andrew, smoking is one thing I wish could go away. As someone who literally can't breath around folks smoking... I could go outside again if smoking went away... Although, even then, some people wouldn't stop... I would rather folks rolled their own rather than smoking factory rolled ones if that makes sense... A friend I used to have rolled his own and I didn't find it was as bothered by those as store bought ones... But his was JUST tobacco so that's likely most of it... I would say if smokers could respect the rules and those who don't smoke, things would be easier. I tend to go to places that don't allow it for that purpose and hate when people smoke anyways...

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:41 AM
Packed with slugs, I hope. Bear skulls are super thick and they can still Leonardo DiCaprio you if you don't take them down in one.

Camping trips aside, though, we deserve the right to defend ourselves in any situation. Maybe it doesn't work out and maybe it does, but the idea that the only "right" thing to do in a situation where some crazy is going door to door down the hallway making swiss cheese out of everyone is ducking into a cupboard and calling and waiting on 911 to save you is beyond insane to me. And if loved ones are involved? Reprehensible. Don't be a sheep.

Honestly, I don't recall. It could have just been a .22 for all I know. Made that guy feel better. We weren't deep in the woods and something probably could have happened... But we were lucky.

Never be w victim if you dont have too. Obviously the bad guy could surprise you and you never get that chance to defend but if there is an opening to help and you are unarmed, you're likely dead before anyone can help.

My city has the nickname "Dirty Lew"... At the moment, it's where I call home because its home... My comic shop is downtown on the outskirts of the not so great neighborhoods... My car doors are locked. I don't get out for any reason. My dad always said if ingot hit downtown to stay in the car, call the cops and unused to have a two foot long Mag Light... Not a gun and not sharp but good for s good smack upside the head if needed. Thankfully I never had an issue and i don't intend to ever have to... But be prepared.

And yes, despite what anyone says, the Government wants sheep. They don't want the people to be able tondo anything more than fall in line. More laws every day. Less freedoms.

I don't want anarchy but I'm not going to bend over for an overreaching Government. Smaller government with less power and overseeing... Its not 1984... But if not careful...

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 12:42 AM
Andrew, smoking is one thing I wish could go away.

Said pretty much everyone who doesn't smoke.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 12:44 AM
Honestly, I don't recall. It could have just been a .22 for all I know. Made that guy feel better. We weren't deep in the woods and something probably could have happened... But we were lucky.

Never be w victim if you dont have too. Obviously the bad guy could surprise you and you never get that chance to defend but if there is an opening to help and you are unarmed, you're likely dead before anyone can help.

My city has the nickname "Dirty Lew"... At the moment, it's where I call home because its home... My comic shop is downtown on the outskirts of the not so great neighborhoods... My car doors are locked. I don't get out for any reason. My dad always said if ingot hit downtown to stay in the car, call the cops and unused to have a two foot long Mag Light... Not a gun and not sharp but good for s good smack upside the head if needed. Thankfully I never had an issue and i don't intend to ever have to... But be prepared.

And yes, despite what anyone says, the Government wants sheep. They don't want the people to be able tondo anything more than fall in line. More laws every day. Less freedoms.

I don't want anarchy but I'm not going to bend over for an overreaching Government. Smaller government with less power and overseeing... Its not 1984... But if not careful...

The government will gladly take any freedoms we surrender. Not for any evil agenda, but because why wouldn't they? The Patriot Act is a pretty hilarious thing. "YES! Sign it, ratify it! Protect us!" "Okay!" and then years later, Snowden and all that and the expose, "WHAT?? Why are they doing that??? WHY???" Because you f***ing let them, you nit. Stop doing that.

There exists no government conspiracy... it's really just sheep saying, one layer at a time, "OK, yes, take this away to protect me! That latest shooting/bombing/incident really upsets me and we just... have... to... do... SOMETHING!" while still somehow reserving the right to, later on, go, "But... but... this isn't right that the government can do this!" when they're the ones that happily brought down the ramp to begin with.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:46 AM
When I was younger, there was more teaching kids to hunt and use guns. They were tools for a certain job. Granted that was hunting, we were also KIDS... Older kids learned different skills. My junior year of high school we still had a few holdouts with long guns in pickup trucks... One guy even kept his through senior year, but it was behind his truck seat...

Train the young to respect the tool and there id less chance for trouble. Less focus on dang "feelings" would help today a great deal.

If you don't like guns, that's fine. But a shop class that teaches how to break down and clean a gun, some off campus range time and learning how to handle a few weapons would do wonders plus could help count as credits for ROTC classes... (Which had us in uniform s couple times a week without a weapon of course...)

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:47 AM
Said pretty much everyone who doesn't smoke.

It is pretty terrible for you.... Smell gets on you, you clothes, car seats, couches and whatnot... Stinks pretty bad too... Unless you smoke those fruity ones. Hehe

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:48 AM
The government will gladly take any freedoms we surrender. The Patriot Act is a pretty hilarious thing. "YES! Sign it, ratify it! Protect us!" "Okay!" and then years later, Snowden and all that and the expose, "WHAT?? Why are they doing that??? WHY???" Because you f***ing let them, you nit. Stop doing that.

See, we'd get along great next to the smoking thing!!

Red bandanas. 2nd amendment.Mirage Turtles are boss... Haha

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:50 AM
That Mom's demand group... Wants to ban ALL guns... Because bad guys...

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 12:57 AM

So you feel you are only allowed to protect yourself if you are home? Someone mugs you and whatever, because you were getting groceries? Or stopped for gas at the 711?

That's being a victim. Being unprepared. You currently have the right to be able to defend yourself. It's freeing to be able to do it.

You protect your family. Your friends. If you are married, it's kind of an obligation for you to protect your spouse as far as I'm concerned. If you love someone, shouldn't you do ALL that's in your power to do in order to protect them? I know I would... Granted I don't have too many people in my life but there are a few I'd even die for.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 12:57 AM
It is pretty terrible for you....

So is reality TV. So is fast food. Doesn't mean it needs to be stamped out over legislatured out of existance (as much as I'd like to see that happen).

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 01:01 AM
See, we'd get along great next to the smoking thing!!

Red bandanas. 2nd amendment.Mirage Turtles are boss... Haha

All right, get me a pack of Camel Platinums and we're cool. ;)

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 01:03 AM
So is reality TV. So is fast food. Doesn't mean it needs to be stamped out over legislatured out of existance (as much as I'd like to see that happen).

Ah but bad tv and frozen dinners don't directly involved the person next to them unless they're eating and watching too. With smoking. I could be across the room and a wiff of it puts me down. Eyes get irritated, throat closes up a bit. Csnt breathe or see well. Migraine sets in... My day is done. Lol

I'm fine if folks want to smoke but there has to be a way to be respectful of the people who don't want to be around it or near people doing it. And we live in an entitled age. "Please don't smoke nesr my kids" (or in this case, my sisters) was greeted with "f*ck off, I'll smoke where I damned well please!" even though the guy was in a park, with signs posted no smoking in the public park...

My last employer initiated a zero tolerance policy for no smoking on company grounds and people still tried to sneak smokes in their cars and behind the building and whatnot...

Wildcat
09-20-2016, 01:13 AM
Have you ever had to call 911 and wait for the cops to get there? In Minnesota, a good guy with a gun shot the aloha snack bar yelling muslim that had been standing people... Im sure the next guy in line was grateful the good guy with the gun was around.

When it an emergency situation, I would much rather been seen as arrogant for carrying my self defense weapon on my hip than be found dead on the ground when the cops shoe up.

Are you afraid of guns? I grew up in scouts. We learned first BB guns. It was along with cooking, one of the things I most enjoyed about the program. In my teens, I got out of scouts and didn't shoot another gun until about Ren years ago... I actually was nervous and haven't shot since but like I said, I carry now and am getting ready to take a class. I'm the first line of defense to protect myself and anyone around me. I'm responsible for my well-being... Its like eating better...that's on me. Protecting myself is on me.

It has nothing to do with being arrogant. Or even being weak. Or trying to show off. I dont open carry, but i support the right to do that as well... I just don't recommend it if the person is alone.(I'll just quote your first reply to me) No I've personally never had to call 911. I know it takes time for them arrive. That's why I said if someone is intruding you should focus on getting out, not confronting. The criminal probably has a gun too.

I just find it dumb that some people, and like those ads, portrayed carrying around a gun as some ultimate protection. Imo in a bad situation you're first instinct should be to get away. Carrying around a gun won't mean much if you're totally out numbered or some mass emergency happens.

I'm not afraid of guns. I've thought about learning to fire one just for fun. Ya know like at range or something. I've never had the desire to own a gun though.

Im not against owning them. I know some people like hunting and collecting them. Like military buffs or hobbyist.

I'm more against just carrying them around for the sake of it. It seems more like a false sense of security to me. Paranoia or thinking you'd be able to win a fight. I don't think it's that easy to just shoot someone.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 01:30 AM
(I'll just quote your first reply to me) No I've personally never had to call 911. I know it takes time for them arrive. That's why I said if someone is intruding you should focus on getting out, not confronting. The criminal probably has a gun too.

I just find it dumb that some people, and like those ads, portrayed carrying around a gun as some ultimate protection. Imo in a bad situation you're first instinct should be to get away. Carrying around a gun won't mean much if you're totally out numbered or some mass emergency happens.

I'm not afraid of guns. I've thought about learning to fire one just for fun. Ya know like at range or something. I've never had the desire to own a gun though.

Im not against owning them. I know some people like hunting and collecting them. Like military buffs or hobbyist.

I'm more against just carrying them around for the sake of it. It seems more like a false sense of security to me. Paranoia or thinking you'd be able to win a fight. I don't think it's that easy to just shoot someone.

I'd hate to have to shoot anyone but I'd like that option if someone is threatening me or someone I care about. Leaving/running should probably be the first thing, but what if you are cornered? The criminal breaks into you third story apartment and is between you and the room with the emergency escape ladder? Hide? Jump? Or because you know your place, fire off a round in the criminals direction... they're likely to run and not confront you if you're shooting at them (just don't chase them down...)

I'm not paranoid at all. I don't feel safer so to speak with it. It just changes the threat level. Due to my tumor, I am physically weaker than a dude my age and height should be... if someone wanted my valuables, I wouldn't have much to give them beyond a credit card and my license.

On the flip side, I don't see much point in collecting guns... I don't need a multitude... a few different ones maybe but not too many.

What I've learned is that you need to be aware of your surroundings and if you decide to fight, you best be prepared for the worst outcome. Also, not getting shot by cops because you have your gun out...

We had a fox in the backyard the other night, didn't know it was a fox when I heard what sounded like "help me" coming from beyond the fenced in poold area... I grabbed and loaded my gun and was out back before I knew what I was doing. Thankfully the guy next door had his rifle and a better flashlight and saw what it was... I was ready to help if it had been a person coming out of the woods but I wasn't about to go INTO the woods... lol.

Wildcat
09-20-2016, 01:55 AM
I'd hate to have to shoot anyone but I'd like that option if someone is threatening me or someone I care about. Leaving/running should probably be the first thing, but what if you are cornered? The criminal breaks into you third story apartment and is between you and the room with the emergency escape ladder? Hide? Jump? Or because you know your place, fire off a round in the criminals direction... they're likely to run and not confront you if you're shooting at them (just don't chase them down...)

I'm not paranoid at all. I don't feel safer so to speak with it. It just changes the threat level. Due to my tumor, I am physically weaker than a dude my age and height should be... if someone wanted my valuables, I wouldn't have much to give them beyond a credit card and my license.

On the flip side, I don't see much point in collecting guns... I don't need a multitude... a few different ones maybe but not too many.

What I've learned is that you need to be aware of your surroundings and if you decide to fight, you best be prepared for the worst outcome. Also, not getting shot by cops because you have your gun out...

We had a fox in the backyard the other night, didn't know it was a fox when I heard what sounded like "help me" coming from beyond the fenced in poold area... I grabbed and loaded my gun and was out back before I knew what I was doing. Thankfully the guy next door had his rifle and a better flashlight and saw what it was... I was ready to help if it had been a person coming out of the woods but I wasn't about to go INTO the woods... lol.Some people collect guns like from different eras and such. Vintage to modern or whatever the reasoning like with anything else I guess.

I know danger can arise anytime. I'd rather carry something that was non-lethal if I really had too. Aside from not wanting to shoot someone I wouldn't want to be responsible for some accident. There's other ways to protect yourself.

It's nothing personal. I just find carrying a gun paints a bad picture. Even if it's just for protection it comes off as false sense of security to me.

Like the fox thing. If either person fired thinking they were being attacked someone could have gotten shot by accident.

Katie
09-20-2016, 05:16 AM
I hunt, but with a bow. Animals don't have guns. Should be semi fair. Plus I love venison. We were so poor when I was young, venison was thd only meat we had sometimes.

I've been shot. There is a thread about it here somewhere in the archives. I prefer if guns are available for appropriately screened folks. Not automatic or semi automatic or military grade crap. Handguns and hunting rifles are ok.

I do not trust the average joe schmo to responsibly carry guns around in public because they're paranoid about criminals or terrorists. I don't want guns anywhere where some John Wayne decides he doesn't like the way something looks and shoots first and asks questions later.

Before my dad died he was getting paranoid because of ammonia build up in his brain. He wanted a gun so bad so he could "protect" us from "them". We didn't know he was really sick at the time. I guarantee that if he had gotten a gun, and he would have passed the background check, he would have shot my mom or brother or someone.

Guns ard ok if handled responsibly and not in the hands of crazy paranoid folks arming themselves to fight the government or a "them"

BubblyShell22
09-20-2016, 07:59 AM
I totally support the Second Amendment and feel we have the right to keep and bear arms. But I agree with Katie that there should be a limit and that we need to make sure that no crazy people get their hands on the guns because that's where all our problems are coming from.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 08:31 AM
I don't have a problem with the Second Amendment, though I wish more people paid attention to the "well regulated" clause.

Someday I'd like to learn how to shoot one, much the same way I would like to learn how to drive a standard transmission. That said, I would never own one nor would I ever keep one in my home. Statistics are not on my side in that regard.

I don't have a problem with people owning guns, but I agree with Chris Rock that bullets should be hard to get. I don't think it's a bad idea to require gun owners to carry Insurance either. Something to protect themselves should something go wrong. Friendly fire is a thing that happens.

So in short, I view guns much the same way I view cigarettes: They are a public health hazard that adults should be able to mitigate on their own.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Holy $hit, man, USE THE DAMN MULTIQUOTE!!!

I, too, am in favor of this right.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Holy $hit, man, USE THE DAMN MULTIQUOTE!!!

I, too, am in favor of this right.

I haven't figured out the mutliquote and its not mobile friendly... Do you know how difficult typing all this out on a phone is??

Crazy... Like shouldn't own a gun crazy...

But that's not the point.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 08:59 AM
I haven't figured out the mutliquote and its not mobile friendly... Do you know how difficult typing all this out on a phone is??

When 75% of all comments in a thread are you single multi-quoting, yeah, I'm a little irritated.

And yeah, I'm crazy. Strip me of my rights, browski. Constitutional rights don't apply to assholes, right?

Cure
09-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Multiquote exists, people.

I am indifferent to the second amendment. If people wanna have guns, cool. If they wanna get rid of them, cool.

Edit: wooops, forgot to refresh this page before replying. Long name beat me to it.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 10:03 AM
When 75% of all comments in a thread are you single multi-quoting, yeah, I'm a little irritated.

And yeah, I'm crazy. Strip me of my rights, browski. Constitutional rights don't apply to assholes, right?

Actually I wasn't trying to be mean with that... I was trying to joke that I had just learned/seen the multi quote thing and state that I don't know how to actually use that, because I haven't used it (obviously)...

Wasn't looking to offend. Just joke.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 10:08 AM
I don't think it's a bad idea to require gun owners to carry Insurance either.

Terrible, ghastly idea. It can't be a constitutional right you have to pay money every month to exercise. Especially when, in reality, it's just because you happen to own a gun that's legal for you to do so sitting in your gun locker that you take out maybe once, twice a year, if that.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Terrible, ghastly idea. It can't be a constitutional right you have to pay money every month to exercise. Especially when, in reality, it's just because you happen to own a gun that's legal for you to do so sitting in your gun locker that you take out maybe once, twice a year, if that.

That's a good point.
I'm curious, do homeowners who have firearms have to declare that on any homeowner's insurance policy, much the same way some policies require the declaration of "bully breeds?"

Seriously, I'm just looking out for the Good Guy With The Gun who accidentally shoots an innocent bystander. Because I can tell you right now, I'm suing the ever living bajebus out of anyone who shoots me, either intentionally or not. Medical consts are high, and even people with insurance have to declare bankruptcy to cover them sometimes. You'd better believe I'm not footing that bill alone.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 10:37 AM
That's a good point.
I'm curious, do homeowners who have firearms have to declare that on any homeowner's insurance policy, much the same way some policies require the declaration of "bully breeds?"

No. But that's not quite apples to apples. My pitbull just might one day get a wild hair up his ass enough to dig an El Chapo-esque tunnel under the backyard fence and maul a couple of passing mormons... my gun, however, has no chance of spontaneously loading itself and spraying bullets around one day from within its locker.

I don't own a pitbull, by the way, and would never. I do have 5 pugs, however.

Seriously, I'm just looking out for the Good Guy With The Gun who accidentally shoots an innocent bystander. Because I can tell you right now, I'm suing the ever living bajebus out of anyone who shoots me, either intentionally or not.

Which you can do. I'd sue, too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Actually I wasn't trying to be mean with that... I was trying to joke that I had just learned/seen the multi quote thing and state that I don't know how to actually use that, because I haven't used it (obviously)...

Wasn't looking to offend. Just joke.

My bad. Then I back down, apologize sincerely, and still plead that you use the multiquote feature. :tsmile:

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=Andrew NDB;1625696]No. But that's not quite apples to apples. My pitbull just might one day get a wild hair up his ass enough to dig an El Chapo-esque tunnel under the backyard fence and maul a couple of passing mormons... my gun, however, has no chance of spontaneously loading itself and spraying bullets around one day from within its locker.

I don't own a pitbull, by the way, and would never. I do have 5 pugs, however.

Kids, like dogs, have a nasty way of getting around protections meant to keep them away from things.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Kids, like dogs, have a nasty way of getting around protections meant to keep them away from things.

That falls squarely within the realm of "sh*t happens." It's unfortunate, but without a Department of Pre-Crime, I don't see that as something all gun owners need added legislature/insurance/what-have-you as a result of.

And what, the guy who has no children and lives alone has to add guns to his home insurance policy because other houses have kids that just miiight MacGuyver into the gun safes there? That's dumb. And if it's only if you have children in your house you have to add the guns part... you're basically just buying a "my kid grabbing my guns and shooting them" policy? That's even dumber.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 11:01 AM
That falls squarely within the realm of "sh*t happens." It's unfortunate, but without a Department of Pre-Crime, I don't see that as something all gun owners need added legislature/insurance/what-have-you as a result of.

And what, the guy who has no children and lives alone has to add guns to his home insurance policy because other houses have kids that just miiight MacGuyver into the gun safes there? That's dumb. And if it's only if you have children in your house you have to add the guns part... you're basically just buying a "my kid grabbing my guns and shooting them" policy? That's even dumber.

There isn't a policy out there that doesn't have some sort of scale for the increase/decrease in liability.
For instance, I pay less for insurance because I don't smoke.

We have reached the eventual impasse.
Good game. Go team us!

IndigoErth
09-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Fully agree with this.

Not against the right for people to own a normal gun for "just in case" or simple hobby target shooting or hunting (though I find hunting sad and imo you better plan on eating it), but beyond that I definitely believe in there being sane limits and background checks. Unless you're military on active duty, no civilian has any damn good reason to need an assault rifle. (In my mind that's like some wannabe thug teenager having to own a dog with a bad temperament. Neither make you a badass for having it. :roll: More of a 'try hard' in my mind.) Nor any reason to stockpile guns and ammo like a crazy old cat lady collecting cats; and probably equally as nuts.

No, no matter what they may think, people who are paranoid enough to believe that they NEED to be carrying a gun around with them at all times... no, I feel no safer around them if they are that afraid of the world. If they want to be a gun owner or simply like guns, that's one thing, but if you can't really ever walk around in public without it, yeah... see ya.

Oh yeah, and agree with the NRA stuff too. It's a shame that they supposedly started out at one time as a respectable group. Because my dad had wanted to be a member of a local gun club so he could target shoot the couple little guns he did have, he had to be a member of the NRA for some reason. (:roll:) I have ZERO respect for that group after seeing how much scare tactic propaganda showed up in our mail. With my dad gone, I'm not sad that we've been able to tell them to eff off.

It annoys me that knife laws are more stringent, in stupid ways, than gun laws. Really, wtf. While I totally believe there should be sane limits for that, too, some of it in comparison to what gun ownership gets away with... *sigh*

Tell you want I wish though... I wish that guns would become more technological and include tech within them that can read a hand print on the hand holding it and ONLY be able to be fired by the registered owner of it (who passed background checks and whatnot and is entirely sane and good). And somehow ensure that it will not fire for anyone else... not a thief, nor a child.

BubblyShell22
09-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Yeah, there has been talk about doing the whole hand print recognition thing which I think would be a good idea. I'm not sure if it will happen, but I think it would be a good thing.

I don't have a problem with the NRA. My dad's a member and has gotten stuff from them before. We own guns and as kids, we always knew better than to touch the guns and they were put away where we couldn't find them.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Yeah, there has been talk about doing the whole hand print recognition thing which I think would be a good idea.

I'm not really against that being on new guns... but if we're talking about legislature that indicates you have to either take your old, existing guns in to be customized with said tech (and pay for it), or turn in your existing guns... then that's not ever going to happen.

CyberCubed
09-20-2016, 02:58 PM
I've been shot. There is a thread about it here somewhere in the archives.

Hm, I don't think I've seen that thread. Is there a story behind this? I'm curious. Do you mean during hunting?

IndigoErth
09-20-2016, 03:29 PM
I'm not really against that being on new guns... but if we're talking about legislature that indicates you have to either take your old, existing guns in to be customized with said tech (and pay for it), or turn in your existing guns... then that's not ever going to happen.
Nah, if such technology ever existed, I could see it more likely just being phased in. Eventually it would just become more common place.

And maybe someday today's (and older) guns just become old relics that have their own separate permit if taken out into public. (But not if it is simply a retired heirloom displayed at home.)

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Hm, I don't think I've seen that thread. Is there a story behind this? I'm curious. Do you mean during hunting?

I have a funny friend on Facebook from the U.K.. Every time there would be a new shooting of any kind in the U.S., he'd be the kind of person that would start ballyhooing about guns need to be taken away (joined in by a bunch of other Brits, a lot of Canadians), that he was the victim of a shooting himself. For years he would stick with that. Then one day he admitted, basically, "Well... it was an air rifle, and my friend shot me in the leg to mess with me. But it's still a gun! It's still a shooting!" He still sticks to his guns, so to speak.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 03:36 PM

Multiquote exists, people.

I am indifferent to the second amendment. If people wanna have guns, cool. If they wanna get rid of them, cool.

Edit: wooops, forgot to refresh this page before replying. Long name beat me to it.

Fully agree with this.

Not against the right for people to own a normal gun for "just in case" or simple hobby target shooting or hunting (though I find hunting sad and imo you better plan on eating it), but beyond that I definitely believe in there being sane limits and background checks. Unless you're military on active duty, no civilian has any damn good reason to need an assault rifle. (In my mind that's like some wannabe thug teenager having to own a dog with a bad temperament. Neither make you a badass for having it. :roll: More of a 'try hard' in my mind.) Nor any reason to stockpile guns and ammo like a crazy old cat lady collecting cats; and probably equally as nuts.

No, no matter what they may think, people who are paranoid enough to believe that they NEED to be carrying a gun around with them at all times... no, I feel no safer around them if they are that afraid of the world. If they want to be a gun owner or simply like guns, that's one thing, but if you can't really ever walk around in public without it, yeah... see ya.

Oh yeah, and agree with the NRA stuff too. It's a shame that they supposedly started out at one time as a respectable group. Because my dad had wanted to be a member of a local gun club so he could target shoot the couple little guns he did have, he had to be a member of the NRA for some reason. (:roll:) I have ZERO respect for that group after seeing how much scare tactic propaganda showed up in our mail. With my dad gone, I'm not sad that we've been able to tell them to eff off.

It annoys me that knife laws are more stringent, in stupid ways, than gun laws. Really, wtf. While I totally believe there should be sane limits for that, too, some of it in comparison to what gun ownership gets away with... *sigh*

Tell you want I wish though... I wish that guns would become more technological and include tech within them that can read a hand print on the hand holding it and ONLY be able to be fired by the registered owner of it (who passed background checks and whatnot and is entirely sane and good). And somehow ensure that it will not fire for anyone else... not a thief, nor a child.

What's an assault rifle? You know that's a made up word right? A rifle is a rifle. Assault is an action. Someone hits you with a hammer, it's still a hammer.

There are already gun laws in place. Background checks already happen. Criminals can get their hands on military grade weapons if they want.

I had reservations prior to buying my own gun. Frankly, I have no issues since that. All the media tells you is "assault weapons" are bad. None of the guns used in any of the current attacks in the states have been fully automatic. You pull the trigger, ONE bullet comes out. The problem is a sign saying "no guns please" and some crackpot ignores it and opens fire anyway.

Don't hang out with my then. I'm always armed. My life is my responsibility to protect.

You are generalizing based on fear. Go buy a gun. Learn how to use it.

Even the fictional Turtles use guns... Bodycount... lol

Like in some countries booze and nudity is no big deal but in the States people freak out over a woman breastfeeding.... (some do anyways) off topic though.

There is tech for thumb prints to "authorize" a gun to work, and it doesn't work... if your hands are sweaty or dirty.. sorry, but I want a simple gun. Pull trigger and bullet comes out. Someone breaks into your house, uou aren't going to be able to say "hey wait, let me wash my hands and grab my gun..." if you are out and about and it's hot and your hands are sweaty... same thing. The criminal is going to take what they want...

Movies today portray guns are super easy to get (like a library book, wtf?) and some of those actors who make $$$$ from those movies come out against owning weapons...

People collect. I don't like it when folks give me crap for collecting comics and I'm sure as heck not going to give a gun owner crap for having a gun in every size and shape and caliber as they want... are you judging gun owners? Cuz I thought that was not cool to do?

Paranoia... didn't someone just blow up a pressure cooker bomv in NYC? It's not Paranoia if there are actual people that want you (innocent person) dead (for whatever reason).

Be prepared. Don't be a victim. Also a little accuracy would help. :)

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 03:37 PM
I don't know why or how that put those first three quotes in there...

Multiquote-fail! ��

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 03:43 PM
There is tech for thumb prints to "authorize" a gun to work, and it doesn't work... if your hands are sweaty or dirty.. sorry, but I want a simple gun. Pull trigger and bullet comes out. Someone breaks into your house, uou aren't going to be able to say "hey wait, let me wash my hands and grab my gun..." if you are out and about and it's hot and your hands are sweaty... same thing. The criminal is going to take what they want...

Imagine the poor bastard with the hand-print gun at 1 AM, whacking his pud next to a jar of K-Y when he hears the kitchen window break. It's curtains for him.

Even the fictional Turtles use guns... Bodycount... lol

Wasn't just that. I seem to recall the Turtles picking up and using machine guns in the middle of "Return to New York," too, spraying down Foot Soldiers.

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Came for the hyperbole, staying for the victim blaming.

ToTheNines
09-20-2016, 04:00 PM
https://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/khizr-khan-muslim-soldier-father-dead-diss-donald-trump-ap-ftr.jpg

IndigoErth
09-20-2016, 04:01 PM
*shrug*

Hey, you asked.

Hunting?

Discuss!

Next time maybe footnote it that only certain views/opinions are acceptable.

Annoying though when people who don't feel the same as gun enthusiasts try to take some middle ground and try to still be fair, but no, someone still has to have a fit over their own option.

And no, guns do not appeal to me, I do not see them as the be all and end all of weaponry and have no interest in ownership of that sort of thing.

BubblyShell22
09-20-2016, 05:14 PM
I don't know if I would ever use a gun myself considering I only have one eye and am nearsighted. I would probably use a knife or something else to subdue a criminal. I wouldn't mind using pepper spray or a taser though if I have it available.

joe-eyeball
09-20-2016, 05:20 PM
I absolutely support the second amendment. I am not a hunter as I never really found it to be all that appealing, but I love target shooting. I have been handling firearms since I was five. I'm sure someone will give me flack for this but I currently own 62 different firearms ranging from WWII era guns to modern handguns and ARs, AKs, to tactical shotguns. I will keep buying firearms and if I end up owning 100's of them then so be it. It's a hobby and I make no apologies for loving it. For the record if you can believe it I'm a college educated, happy, sane, and well adjusted person. Not some backwoods, inbred hillbilly so no worries here (for those who believe gun lovers are that way). I also have my CCW and carry everyday where I'm allowed. If we lose the right to bear arms it certainly won't end there! At least that's what I believe!

I love it when people claim that if someone carries a gun with them all the time they must be paranoid! First of all I will call you paranoid for worrying about law abiding, FBI level background check having citizens carrying their weapons in a concealed fashion. It's none of your concern what I choose to do that is perfectly within my rights to do!!! Second of all, everyone is paranoid at some time or another for whatever reason! So what? It's only a problem if your paranoia consumes you to the point where you can't function or cope. Am I being paranoid for wearing my seat belt even though it's not likely I will die or even sustain a serious injury in a car wreck? I view carrying a handgun in a concealed fashion the same way as wearing seatbelt, better to have that security measure in place than not to have it when you need it!

MsMarvelDuckie
09-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Ditto, Indigo. My stepdad has always been very pro-gun, and in fact owns several. They even put in a small firing range on their property (technically the property of his sister and brother-in-law, but it is essentially "community" property as anyone in the family is free to use it) and both my parents now have CC permits.

I on the other hand, do not like guns. Not "afraid" of them, but I simply dislike them. Hunting with one seems incredibly like cheating at a game that the other side isn't even aware of playing, and let's face it, if you are being responsible with your guns by keeping them out of the reach of kids or intruders, that means you are keeping them out of your OWN reach too, and in the middle of the night in the dark when there is someone in your home, a knife or bat is MUCH faster and easier to get your hands on. Not to mention quieter. The less chance they have of knowing you are there with protections, the better, IMHO. A gun being cocked or the safety being turned off is a DEAD give-away, pardon the pun. And the person intruding, if he has a gun himself, is probably FAR more likely to be ready to shoot than the person fumbling around in the dark to find and/or load one. Assuming they are being responsible and keeping it unloaded in case of kids, or what-not.

Basically, my view is that I'd rather GTFO or hide someplace unlikely to be found, and live to tell about it, or even wait in a spot where they most likely wouldn't noticed me with a weapon that doesn't require loading ammo or some other BS. It's all perspective. Plus, bullets can go through walls, especially in apartment buildings. Id do NOT want some idiot who only took a couple of classes firing a gun anywhere NEAR me, even if they are next door, as if they miss their intended target, myself or someone I care for could get hit by accident. Too much risk for "self-defense" IMO. I have no problem with people who hunt for FOOD, or is someone ABSOLUTELY thinks they need a handgun for protection, but I personally stay FAR away from the things, simply because it seems like a ridiculous amount of risk and effort to "protect" oneself. Not to mention that I firmly believe the vast majority of people are not level-headed or rational enough to use one properly.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-20-2016, 05:31 PM
I'm sure someone will give me flack for this but I currently own 62 different firearms ranging from WWII era guns to modern handguns and ARs, AKs, to tactical shotguns.

You remind me of Burt from 'Tremors'! :lol:

joe-eyeball
09-20-2016, 05:37 PM
You remind me of Burt from 'Tremors'! :lol:

No way Burt is a Hawks fan! I'm a Cavs fan! Oh, I'm also not a redneck!:D

IndigoErth
09-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Yeah, well, when that fictional zombie apocalypse 'happens' we'll see how long you gun guys last.

Ah, after a long while the macho guy with the gun has run out of ammo and can't locate anymore, huh? Shame. Better get behind that lady with the big blade in her hands and simply a sharpener in her pocket.

joe-eyeball
09-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Yeah, well, when that fictional zombie apocalypse 'happens' we'll see how long you gun guys last.

Ah, after a long while the macho guy with the gun has run out of ammo and can't locate anymore, huh? Shame. Better get behind that lady with the big blade in her hands and simply a sharpener in her pocket.

What a ridiculous post! Everyone that owns a gun is prepping for a zombie apocalypse and we are all "macho." Hilarious! Oh by the way I also own a knife and sharpener!:tgrin:;)

TheSkeletonMan939
09-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Incredible! This man is a human tank! :D

IndigoErth
09-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Don't forget to pack a sense a humor alongside all the artillery, joey.

https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/hostedimages/1380390008ra/751468.gif

joe-eyeball
09-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Don't forget to pack a sense a humor alongside all the artillery, joey.

https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/hostedimages/1380390008ra/751468.gif

Right, because sarcasm in your post came through so clearly! Don't deny that you actually believe in what wrote, even if only in some part. Also read my response and see that little sh!t eating grin at the end of it? That's me showing a sense of humor regarding your post!;)

IndigoErth
09-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Whatever you say, dear.

A person would have to try a lot harder than that to actually get me into an silly internet argument because they didn't like my opinion on something they're passionate about.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-20-2016, 07:25 PM

You and me Indigo. We'll BOTH be the ladies with big blades when the Zompocalypse comes. Let all the "macho" guys worry about digging up ammo when they run out. I'll ALWAYS be prepared.... (For the record, I also keep a short but heavy metal bar in my purse for when I'm away from home and my blades. Much easer to get out than a gun. It doesn't require a permit or special classes, either....)

joe-eyeball
09-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Whatever you say, dear.

A person would have to try a lot harder than that to actually get me into an silly internet argument because they didn't like my opinion on something they're passionate about.

What a coincidence I was just thinking the same thing!:lol::lol::lol:
Goodnight sunshine!:P

snake
09-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Pfft. Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Kid.

Commenter 42
09-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Came for the hyperbole, staying for the victim blaming.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/abfc908f735f8d69104dad3be92a1837/tumblr_nf860dlYkY1tp1mn2o1_500.jpg

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 08:39 PM
You and me Indigo. We'll BOTH be the ladies with big blades when the Zompocalypse comes. Let all the "macho" guys worry about digging up ammo when they run out. I'll ALWAYS be prepared.... (For the record, I also keep a short but heavy metal bar in my purse for when I'm away from home and my blades. Much easer to get out than a gun. It doesn't require a permit or special classes, either....)

If the Walking Dead has taught us anything (aside from how to string us along with B.S. cliffhangers), it's that it's not the zombies you have to worry about in the zombie apocalypse... it's the people. And they're probably not all packing knives and sharp sticks.

Navin Johnson
09-20-2016, 08:44 PM
I have several guns, I have a carry permit and carry almost daily. I know the Laws in my state. I hunt small game. I was raised around guns and never thought of it being a big deal.

mrmaczaps
09-20-2016, 09:11 PM
I have several guns, I have a carry permit and carry almost daily. I know the Laws in my state. I hunt small game. I was raised around guns and never thought of it being a big deal.

Its NOT a big deal.

ssjup81
09-20-2016, 09:25 PM
I guess for me, I don’t have a problem with the actual amendment, I guess, but I do feel that it’s terribly outdated and seriously needs to be updated. At the time it was originally set up, jt made sense that the country had the right to form an organized, militia to protect everyone from actual invaders. I don’t own a gun and never have and neither has anyone in my immediate family. In all honesty, outside of Walmart, I’ve never even seen a gun. Never fired one, etc. I just don’t feel there’s a need for it and feel that the country needs better gun laws…how to go about that…I dunno. I still do feel that the US has an unnatural obsession with them.

Hm, this topic got me thinking to how the gun laws are here in Japan. It’s a very extensive process, which is probably why gun ownership is so low here.

First and foremost, you have to be at least 18 to put in for a gun license. One of the requirements is to state a legit, and genuine reason why you want to own a firearm, like if you want to hunt or I guess if you’re a collector. You also have to do an extensive background check, which includes a mental health check and if you have any addictions. I guess if you’re an alcoholic, maybe you’re rejected or something. I never did ask what could disqualify you regarding “addictions”, but I’ll assume drug addiction. I also think you need a reference and I’m pretty sure that you have to take classes focusing on proper gun use, storage, safety, etc.

The gun license has to be renewed every two or three years, iirc, which means the mental health check and stuff again. Also, every gun sold by shops (and I think the same goes for ammo) has to be in a public registry.

Maybe that’s why gun fatalities are so low here. I guess it’s too easy to trace it back to the owner if used as, to my knowledge, your local police department has a record of gun owners in their jurisdiction. I only say that about those who actually you know, kill people, but seems knives are the thing here where that’s concerned.

Katie
09-20-2016, 09:35 PM

No, it was awhile ago. I still lived in Nashville in a pretty sh!tty neighborhood. My across the hall neighbor was a meth cooker/dealer and one night when I was taking my dog out I accidentally opened my door when he was out there and i surprised him. He surprised me with a .22. It went through my shoulder but only because I turned away as he shot. If I had stood still he would have killed me.

In that situation there was no time for me to do anything. Even if I had been armed it happened too fast. There was always stuff happening in that neighborhood, but I was never scared and I do not own a gun. I feel that in a neighborhood like that one, if it is known you have a gun, you become a target. No gun, no problems. The lady next door had guns and her place was broken in to on the regular.

Just my 2 cents. Guns are not for me. I don't care for them, Don't care if people have them with restrictions.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-20-2016, 09:48 PM
If the Walking Dead has taught us anything (aside from how to string us along with B.S. cliffhangers), it's that it's not the zombies you have to worry about in the zombie apocalypse... it's the people. And they're probably not all packing knives and sharp sticks.

At least until all the ammo is gone. One thing I've learned from my stepdud is that unless you can fill your own, you are going to find it difficult to aquire any after the first couple of months have passed because everyone will have already raided it all. And probably used most of it by that point too. People seem to think the stuff grows on trees or something, but believe it or not, it can be hard to come by. Plus, one has to find the right kind for the gun they are using, or both become useless. Its funny how people forget little details like that. Or the fact that in a self-defense situation, the person who is ready first is usually the one who wins- not neccessarily the one with the most "powerful" weapon.

Andrew NDB
09-20-2016, 10:10 PM
What really bothers and disappoints me is the gun-shaming that has been happening. Every time there's any sort of shooting, I see 10-20 crazies on Facebook talking about, "If you're a gun owner or an NRA member, UNFRIEND ME RIGHT NOW!!! You people are part of the problem!" I acquiesce of course. The articles that sprout up, the apologists... it's insane, and appears to get a little worse every time, to the point that the actual gun owners and such are afraid to even say anything back anymore.

At least until all the ammo is gone. One thing I've learned from my stepdud is that unless you can fill your own, you are going to find it difficult to aquire any after the first couple of months have passed because everyone will have already raided it all. And probably used most of it by that point too. People seem to think the stuff grows on trees or something, but believe it or not, it can be hard to come by. Plus, one has to find the right kind for the gun they are using, or both become useless. Its funny how people forget little details like that. Or the fact that in a self-defense situation, the person who is ready first is usually the one who wins- not neccessarily the one with the most "powerful" weapon.

You'd still want one around. You really want to roll the dice that no one else on the planet has a gun, or aren't coming to raid you for your stuff (or your life, or body, or worse) while you hold your butter knife?

plastroncafe
09-20-2016, 10:49 PM
There's no rational discourse left to be had regarding firearms.

Redeemer
09-20-2016, 11:42 PM
That's a good point.

Seriously, I'm just looking out for the Good Guy With The Gun who accidentally shoots an innocent bystander. Because I can tell you right now, I'm suing the ever living bajebus out of anyone who shoots me, either intentionally or not. Medical consts are high, and even people with insurance have to declare bankruptcy to cover them sometimes. You'd better believe I'm not footing that bill alone.

Thats why I shoot to kill :D
lol
Thats one thing that scares me though are these horror stories of people defending themselves/homes from intruders by shooting them and getting sued by the assailant.

But if a gun owner wrongfully shoots someone intentionally or not then they should have to pay. You are completely right Plastron medical bills are ridiculously expensive, I was buried in medical bills at one point.

mrmaczaps
09-21-2016, 12:20 PM
What really bothers and disappoints me is the gun-shaming that has been happening. Every time there's any sort of shooting, I see 10-20 crazies on Facebook talking about, "If you're a gun owner or an NRA member, UNFRIEND ME RIGHT NOW!!! You people are part of the problem!" I acquiesce of course. The articles that sprout up, the apologists... it's insane, and appears to get a little worse every time, to the point that the actual gun owners and such are afraid to even say anything back anymore.

You'd still want one around. You really want to roll the dice that no one else on the planet has a gun, or aren't coming to raid you for your stuff (or your life, or body, or worse) while you hold your butter knife?

Exactly this. Criminals will ALWAYS find a way to hurt other people.

Gun Free Zones are criminal target practice arenas. That should be obvious by any attack anywhere that doesn't allow guns.

Are we going to ban crockpots and slowcookers? That are ready made for bomb makkng...
Are we going to ban steak knives and butcher knives and machetes? Those kill too.
Cars.... lol.

BubblyShell22
09-21-2016, 12:29 PM
True story: There was a case in Elkhart, Indiana where five kids went and broke into a guy's home. The guy was armed and shot one of the kids and he died. Instead of charging the homeowner who was defending his home against intruders, they charged the kids with the murder and they are now in jail and are infamously known as The Elkhart Four.

Candy Kappa
09-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Reading this thread.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/79/79916e151ea66505fb19d1b583cfc4c4a3b7679e13395c0a1a 894ce86346ae87.jpg

All seriousness. If people want a firearm for hunting or recreational fun, I have no issues with it.

mrmaczaps
09-21-2016, 01:03 PM
True story: There was a case in Elkhart, Indiana where five kids went and broke into a guy's home. The guy was armed and shot one of the kids and he died. Instead of charging the homeowner who was defending his home against intruders, they charged the kids with the murder and they are now in jail and are infamously known as The Elkhart Four.

So whats your point? Regardless of their age, they broke into this guys house. He has a right to defend himself and his property from theft, damage or his death.

Does it suck? Sure. Those kids should not have broken into the guys house. They made poor choices. Their friend paid the ultimate price.

If you drink and drive and crash into a telephone pole, is it the poles fault?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-21-2016, 01:17 PM

Leave the Poles alone. The Polish are a proud and noble people.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Nope. Read my earlier posts if you don't understand why. I need no gun to do damage to someone trying to hurt me. I prefer sharp pointy things that can be used repeatedly without needing to reload. Statistically, did you know that most women who kill use kitchen utensils? Why do you suppose that is? One word- CONVENIENCE, baby! We know where all the fun stuff is, and we have no qualms about using it if the need arises. You have to know how to shoot to hit anything with a gun, but a cast iron skillet upside an intruder's head will get the job done in one hit. Makes a nice omelet too. And since qe are on the subject, do you REALLY think Id go for a mere butter knife?! HECK TO THE NO. I have a nice long dagger that I keep within reach of the bed, and theres a trusty meat cleaver in the kitchen if I need a backup blade. And a few others I have handy aroynd the house too.

This does not surprise me. But it is the chance they took by breaking in.

plastroncafe
09-21-2016, 01:33 PM
https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/052cd2b72d128a097ef3d26f655448bc95584f-v5-wm.jpg

MsMarvelDuckie
09-21-2016, 02:32 PM
https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/052cd2b72d128a097ef3d26f655448bc95584f-v5-wm.jpg

Plas, I have never loved you more than I do right now! ROFLMAO!!

ToTheNines
09-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Off with their dicks!

plastroncafe
09-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Plas, I have never loved you more than I do right now! ROFLMAO!!

Is that love for finding the pic?
Or for editing to put it behind a cut once I realized how freakin' huge it was?

;)

Now that I look at it again, I have a few of those in my own home, only they're no where near as pretty.
They're ground down and have this really awesome rusty-looking patina to them, on account of the fact that I inherited them from my grandfather from his butchery days.

Funny story:
Because my apartment doesn't have a drawer deep enough to hold them, I keep them in this tupperware container. Because we're short on storage space, that tupperware container lived on the bottom shelf of a bookcase in the kitchen.

We were preparing to have a party, and I was fretting to a friend about how I didn't think the house was childproof enough, as I don't spend enough time around kids to really know what is/isn't safe at low levels.

"Plas, you're fine. It's not like you have a box of rusty knives within reach."
"..."
"You don't do you? Do you?"
"I'll be right back...."

Commenter 42
09-21-2016, 02:44 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/825/103/4ce.jpg

because, yeah...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-21-2016, 02:49 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/825/103/4ce.jpg

because, yeah...

CyberCubed = Commenter42!?

I shoulda taken the Blue Pill. :teek:

Powder
09-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Gender, grrr!

BubblyShell22
09-21-2016, 03:17 PM
So whats your point? Regardless of their age, they broke into this guys house. He has a right to defend himself and his property from theft, damage or his death.

Does it suck? Sure. Those kids should not have broken into the guys house. They made poor choices. Their friend paid the ultimate price.

Hey, I'm not condemning the guy. My point is that it's always good to have a gun handy for something like that. Sorry I didn't clarify that but I was in a hurry.

Nope. Read my earlier posts if you don't understand why. I need no gun to do damage to someone trying to hurt me. I prefer sharp pointy things that can be used repeatedly without needing to reload. Statistically, did you know that most women who kill use kitchen utensils? Why do you suppose that is? One word- CONVENIENCE, baby! We know where all the fun stuff is, and we have no qualms about using it if the need arises. You have to know how to shoot to hit anything with a gun, but a cast iron skillet upside an intruder's head will get the job done in one hit. Makes a nice omelet too. And since qe are on the subject, do you REALLY think Id go for a mere butter knife?! HECK TO THE NO. I have a nice long dagger that I keep within reach of the bed, and theres a trusty meat cleaver in the kitchen if I need a backup blade. And a few others I have handy aroynd the house too.

This does not surprise me. But it is the chance they took by breaking in.

Yep, I agree that the kids took a bad chance and paid for it. And knives are a good weapon to have. Wish I had a katana blade though. That would REALLY come in handy.

IndigoErth
09-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Officially renaming the kitchen "The Amory."

MsMarvelDuckie
09-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Is that love for finding the pic?
Or for editing to put it behind a cut once I realized how freakin' huge it was?

;)

Now that I look at it again, I have a few of those in my own home, only they're no where near as pretty.
They're ground down and have this really awesome rusty-looking patina to them, on account of the fact that I inherited them from my grandfather from his butchery days.

Funny story:
Because my apartment doesn't have a drawer deep enough to hold them, I keep them in this tupperware container. Because we're short on storage space, that tupperware container lived on the bottom shelf of a bookcase in the kitchen.

We were preparing to have a party, and I was fretting to a friend about how I didn't think the house was childproof enough, as I don't spend enough time around kids to really know what is/isn't safe at low levels.

"Plas, you're fine. It's not like you have a box of rusty knives within reach."
"..."
"You don't do you? Do you?"
"I'll be right back...."

OMG!! That's the best laugh I've had all day. And yes the love was for the pic. Too funny.

snake
09-21-2016, 06:02 PM

Kitchen. Get back to it now.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-21-2016, 06:07 PM
He likes to live dangerously....

mrmaczaps
09-21-2016, 07:50 PM
Hey, I'm not condemning the guy. My point is that it's always good to have a gun handy for something like that. Sorry I didn't clarify that but I was in a hurry.

Okay. Sorry. Just wasn't clear (for me) if you were saying he was wrong cuz "kids" or not.

Bry
09-21-2016, 08:26 PM

The Walking Dead has mostly taught me to worry about nihilistic writers. ;)

Andrew NDB
09-21-2016, 10:46 PM

Of course the homeowner shouldn't be charged but... why would the kids be charged with the murder? Breaking and entering and attempted burglary and all that, of course. Some states have... oddities.

Commenter 42
09-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Of course the homeowner shouldn't be charged but... why would the kids be charged with the murder? Breaking and entering and attempted burglary and all that, of course. Some states have... oddities.

Kind of a
Obvious, right? Their actions triggered the homeowner. The court decided it was the kids at fault.

Obvious.

Andrew NDB
09-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Kind of a
Obvious, right? Their actions triggered the homeowner. The court decided it was the kids at fault.

Obvious.

I dunno... if I say, hey, Commenter 42, let's go pull a lick on this 7-Eleven with pistols, you agree, and the attendant blows you away with a shotgun... I don't know that I should be going down for your murder. While the attendant has the right to blow you or I away, he didn't have to... that is not an action that either of us forced.

Commenter 42
09-21-2016, 11:00 PM
I dunno... if I say, hey, Commenter 42, let's go pull a lick on this 7-Eleven, you agree, and the attendant blows you away with a shotgun... I don't know that I should be going down for your murder.

But, causality? You initiated the action, involved me...
The store clerk was only defending himself.

Aren't you then to blame?

I get your point, but, really, maybe it's not even you at fault. Maybe it's bigger than that. Maybe your in a no win senario, institutionalized poverty, all that jazz.

Like, if you watch Warren take down Wells Fargo CEO, she's holding him accountable, even though he wasn't directly commiting the crime, He instigated it.

snake
09-22-2016, 04:51 AM
I'm with c42 on this. If you initiate the action, you should face the consequences.

If someone breaks into my house with the intention of causing harm, until the police get there I'm not going to stand down. I have a metal bat next to my bed for self defense purposes for that very reason. Casey Jones style.

plastroncafe
09-22-2016, 08:00 AM
I did a quick Google search on this particular case, and the people seeking leniency for the convicted are doing so because they were children and tried as adults. From what I could tell the rationale behind the law, whether you believe it is flawed or not, isn't what's up for debate. There is some neurological evidence to support the theory that teenagers are not physiologically adults, that their reason centers aren't fully developed yet, and to try them as fully functioning adults is unfair.

In addition to that a case could be made that the younger people were coerced by the older ones.

It's a weird case to be certain.

BubblyShell22
09-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Okay. Sorry. Just wasn't clear (for me) if you were saying he was wrong cuz "kids" or not.

Nope, he was totally in the right. And no worries. That was my fault for not clarifying.

Andrew, it may seem weird to you, but they weren't going to charge the homeowner because he was defending his home and was doing the right thing. The kids were in the wrong for breaking in and they really could have killed the guy if they'd wanted to.

Plas, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care if they were teenagers. They committed a crime and if the courts say they should be charged as adults because of the severity of said crime, then that's the way it works. The whole idea of, "Well, they're just kids so they weren't thinking clearly" is no excuse. They knew what they were doing when they made the choice to break into the guy's home and should therefore be held responsible.

Andrew NDB
09-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Andrew, it may seem weird to you, but they weren't going to charge the homeowner because he was defending his home and was doing the right thing. The kids were in the wrong for breaking in and they really could have killed the guy if they'd wanted to.

Huh? Where did I say the homeowner should be charged? Of course he shouldn't be charged.

I'm saying the surviving kid shouldn't be charged with murder because the homeowner killed the other kid. The homeowner had every right to blow the kid away, but that doesn't mean he HAD to, nor did Kid B have anything to do with any murder.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Those tags.... Kill all men? Certainly not. But if one threatens me.... Well, I'm not taking that lying down. Just ask the LAST guy. Though I wonder if he actually remembers getting beat with the shovel handle. Drugs can mess up your brain until you dont even remember what you did, or so I hear.

BubblyShell22
09-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Huh? Where did I say the homeowner should be charged? Of course he shouldn't be charged.

I'm saying the surviving kid shouldn't be charged with murder because the homeowner killed the other kid. The homeowner had every right to blow the kid away, but that doesn't mean he HAD to, nor did Kid B have anything to do with any murder.

I know you didn't say that but you were questioning why they would charge the kids. It wasn't just one kid, it was all of them who were charged and that's because they felt the homeowner had the right to defend his home and the kids were in the wrong for going in there to break in. No, he didn't have to kill the kid, but he was in fear for his life because he didn't know what these kids were going to do, so he just acted out of instinct and I don't blame him for that.

joe-eyeball
09-24-2016, 09:17 PM

I agree. The surviving kid or kids shouldn't be charged with murder. According to the story NO murder even took place. Only a justifiable killing in self defense took place. I could see charging the kids with wrongful death, or like some type of negligence resulting in ones death but not murder! But the kid certainly had a great deal to do with that kids death!!

Commenter 42
09-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Those tags.... Kill all men? Certainly not. But if one threatens me.... Well, I'm not taking that lying down. Just ask the LAST guy. Though I wonder if he actually remembers getting beat with the shovel handle. Drugs can mess up your brain until you dont even remember what you did, or so I hear.

um? what?

This is, kinda strange Duckie.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Lol. It's kind of a long story. Short version is never try to rob a place where a certain short Irish-tempered lass has been working all night without a break whilst dealing with drunk idiots. Unless ya want to get clobbered, that is....

BubblyShell22
09-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Good for you, Duckie. They always say never to look afraid during something like that and to act tough so they know not to mess with you. I would have done the same thing if I had been in your shoes.

IndigoErth
09-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Lol. It's kind of a long story. Short version is never try to rob a place where a certain short Irish-tempered lass has been working all night without a break whilst dealing with drunk idiots. Unless ya want to get clobbered, that is....

"For a ninja, anything can be a weapon." - Splinter
You applied his teachings well, well done. :tsmile::twink: