PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on painting silver with no rub

tmntfannumerouno
09-20-2016, 12:29 PM
I'm using testors silver on a custom and the testors clear spray lacquer. I've used this before and still ended up with some of the silver paint rubbing off. This isn't on any joints just on the figure itself and this only happens with the silver paint for some reason. Any help is appreciated

Plasticplayhouse
09-20-2016, 11:07 PM
I'm using testors silver on a custom and the testors clear spray lacquer. I've used this before and still ended up with some of the silver paint rubbing off. This isn't on any joints just on the figure itself and this only happens with the silver paint for some reason. Any help is appreciated

Citadel silver always works pretty well for me. More durable than testors, but all silvers rub to some degree.

Huzzah
09-21-2016, 08:16 AM
I typically avoid painting anything straight silver. I've had the best luck painting it gun metal and then dry brushing lairs of Testors Steel as opposed to the silver. It holds up well and doesn't typically rub off.

That's the method I used on this figure years ago and it held up well.

Discogod
09-21-2016, 09:56 AM
I use a spray paint, although it's not practical for small areas unless you mask it all off.

When I'm brushing it on, I'll paint a light grey basecoat first, then several thin layers of silver. Citadel's paints are decent, but the best silver I've used is Tamiya's, especially when it comes to rub.

tmntfannumerouno
09-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Discogod when you use the spray paint do you still seal it?

Discogod
09-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Discogod when you use the spray paint do you still seal it?

Yeah, I spray a matt sealer, then if needs be I'll brush on a light coat or two of Citadel's gloss varnish.