PDA

View Full Version : Shredder Recast: Any In-Universe Explanation?

WebLurker
09-21-2016, 07:55 PM
In Out of the Shadows, they had a new actor playing Shredder, who looked nothing like the original one (who seemed to be taking his cues from the Nick Shredder). Was there ever an in-universe explanation for his drastic change, or was it supposed to be something we ignored?

snake
09-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Much like this entire incarnation, it should just be ignored

wpugh2424
09-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Just rewatched
While there are many things I dislike, I think as a whole it's not bad
Pretty funny

Powder
09-21-2016, 08:23 PM
No explanation whatsoever. As was the case for many other plotholes & stuff.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-21-2016, 08:56 PM
No official explanation, but a fan theory is the mutagen seeped through his gloves, and rejuvenated him into a more youthful state after the skyscraper fall.

IndigoErth
09-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Nope, not a hint to explain anything in the film. While I like him as Shredder, I don't really get the point of bothering to recast both he and Karai if they were hardly going to use them anyhow.

Even if the film had tried to pass it off as the mutagen rejuvenating theory, how do they explain Karai. o.O

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Plastic surgery to not get arrested like shredder was? She was unmasked during the subway hostage crisis, and could be recognized and arrested.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-21-2016, 09:35 PM
I was cool with Shredder being recast, I think it should've been him from the first movie, but I thought re-casting Karai was pointless, I liked her better in the first movie.

As for the explanation, I guess the mutagen helped him, but that didn't matter much to me. I really enjoyed the movie, better than the first definetly. Bebop and Rocksteady were the best, my man!

WebLurker
09-21-2016, 10:13 PM
No official explanation, but a fan theory is the mutagen seeped through his gloves, and rejuvenated him into a more youthful state after the skyscraper fall.

That was actually my assumption. I was curious if there were other ideas out there, esp. since the filmmakers have been silent on the subject, as far as I know.

Nope, not a hint to explain anything in the film. While I like him as Shredder, I don't really get the point of bothering to recast both he and Karai if they were hardly going to use them anyhow.

Even if the film had tried to pass it off as the mutagen rejuvenating theory, how do they explain Karai. o.O

Plastic surgery to not get arrested like shredder was? She was unmasked during the subway hostage crisis, and could be recognized and arrested.

Although you can tell that different actresses played the character, they looked close enough that I don't see a "need" to explain it. The fact that Karai dresses in an utilitarian style in the first movie but is more dolled up in the second one also helps disguise the differences as makeup and clothing details.

(Another possibility is that the Foot Clan had two people named Karai as members. Movie one Karai could've been killed when Raph smashed into her jeep during the snow chase (we don't see her after she ducks inside and the jeep takes quite a beating afterwards), and movie two Karai then wound up where she was in movie two.)

Andrew NDB
09-21-2016, 10:37 PM
I think what happened was that, the 11th hour reshoot guy who played him in the first one was decided to be too old by the brilliant powers that be when it came time for a part 2 for toddlers and the Fred Wolf whack pack. As such, they also had to recast Karai a little younger than the now-younger Saki because she's still presumably supposed to be his daughter.

None of this makes a lick of a sense at all if the Fichtner character was raised as Saki's son, as the first movie told us.

A simple, dumb line inserted about "the mutagen healed me... it gave me back many years" would at least show some effort to reconcile the recasting with everything, and then they wouldn't even have to recast Karai.

But just dumb, dumb, dumb decisions all around by people that don't even care. Even now, they probably don't care. "I got paid, yo." It's not even worth seriously discussing.

Katie
09-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Same in universe explanation as the re-casting of April in the second and third movie ;)

....and changing Donatello's voice...

myconius
09-26-2016, 09:19 PM
maybe the original actor from the first movie saw his CGI counterpart was easily taken out by Megan O'Neil and decided to commit seppuku?

Jephael
09-27-2016, 01:06 AM
Maybe the actor from the first film has been to this forum and saw what a bunch of bung-holes some of us fans are.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-27-2016, 08:05 AM
I don't get why people wonder if there's an "in-universe" reason why an actor changed. Do people wonder what the "in-universe" reason is for why Steve Ditko Spidey looks different from Gil Kane Spidey?

Andrew NDB
09-27-2016, 09:57 AM
I don't get why people wonder if there's an "in-universe" reason why an actor changed.

Well, it's a bit different here when the new actor is noticeably younger, not bald and not scarred up like this:

http://cdn.movieweb.com/img.site/PHGcQMwrut3sJP_1_l.jpg

to this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UKgzlqyBTM8/maxresdefault.jpg

IndigoErth
09-27-2016, 10:14 AM
I don't understand why these writers are incapable of seeing the small, simple solutions that would just smooth it over and leave it at that. New Shredder is Saki, previous guy was his now injured or deceased father. There. Easy. He even gets a motive against the Turtles. Would take just a couple seconds of dialogue to point out then move on and the recast no longer matters.

I guess when you exist in Bay World you can only mostly just see BIG and BIGGER things and the little stuff gets too confusing and lost or disregarded as being little and therefore unimportant.

I don't know how they manged to keep the moderately subtle underlying tension between the Turtles going for a bit.

ToTheNines
09-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Maybe the actor from the first film has been to this forum and saw what a bunch of bung-holes some of us fans are.

Maybe you creeped on his girlfriend, and that's why.

Andrew NDB
09-27-2016, 12:17 PM

I'm going with that.

Filespit
09-27-2016, 02:05 PM
They recast him because they messed everything up in the first place, and when they finally realized what a mess they'd made they recast some characters and tried to ignore the first mess up by making a sequel that has almost no connection to the first movie but is still considered a sequel. There is no in-universe, it's all just a big pile of bad decisions.

CyberCubed
09-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Why is this a big deal? They recast what's her name between Batman Begins and Batman: The Dark Knight Rises.

She was Katie Holmes in the first movie and then the other actress in the second. Nobody cared or called it a plot hole.

Andrew NDB
09-27-2016, 03:51 PM
She was Katie Holmes in the first movie and then the other actress in the second. Nobody cared or called it a plot hole.

If Katie Holmes was shaved bald and had makeup-added burns all over her face and scalp in Batman Begins, and then they recast her in TDK with Maggie Gyllenhaal looking normal with long brown hair and no made-up scars... that'd be equivalent. But they didn't.

Jephael
09-27-2016, 08:25 PM

My, somebody sure has big balls all of a sudden! Actually now that I think about it, you might wanna get those looked at.

http://i.imgur.com/Ljf29SL.gif

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Why is this a big deal? They recast what's her name between Batman Begins and Batman: The Dark Knight Rises.

That's because nobody cared about Rachel Dawes except for Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent.

ToTheNines
09-27-2016, 08:37 PM
My, somebody sure has big balls all of a sudden! Actually now that I think about it, you might wanna get those looked at.

http://i.imgur.com/Ljf29SL.gif

Eat my ass Jeff.

IndigoErth
09-27-2016, 08:48 PM

I'm not familiar with it to know who "the other actress" is... but I'm willing to guess that the actresses are probably reasonably close enough in age? And the films did not suddenly recast the entire generation the character exists as a part of?

The age is the part that bugs me about the Shredder recast since the first movie went and suggested Shredder had been like Sack's surrogate father. It was an entirely unnecessary line they used to dig a hole for themselves.

Edit: Speaking of Shredder...

Comicbook.com: Brian Tee interview.

fHX7if5LdLY

http://comicbook.com/2016/09/27/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-brian-tee-on-playing-shredder-possi/

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise has seen a number of iterations brought to film over the past few decades, but Out of the Shadows was perhaps the most faithful to the fan-favorite animated cartoon. The movie -- which is now available on Blu-ray, DVD or digital download -- brought to life characters like Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, and of course the turtle's main nemesis, Shredder.

ComicBook.com host Chris Killian recently had the chance to talk with actor Brian Tee, who portrayed the iconic role in Out of the Shadows. If you've seen the film, you know that Shredder was betrayed by his one-time ally Krang.

Tee was asked if Shredder will ultimately get his revenge on Krang somewhere down the line.

"Ohhh that would be great," Tee said. "I actually do think that Shredder is way cooler than Krang anyway, and his betrayal was definitely one of those things that we have to be like, "really? really dude?" You know, as he betrayed me and he froze me in time, um, people get unfrozen, I feel, so just saying that there will definitely will be a revenge of the Shredder, hopefully in a movie really really soon, so we'll have to wait and see."

To be fair, the little pink alien ball of goop isn't exactly known for his loyalty, and really villains, in general, tend to skip that whole ethics thing overall, so it's not like it is that surprising.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles continue to be as popular as ever, no matter how many renditions or transformations the characters receive. Tee said that it is easy to see why Michaelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo, and Raphael have managed to remain so popular.

"It's amazing that, you know I have a little daughter now that will probably grow up loving the turtles as well, but you know I have friends with like 5-year-olds, so it's like, it's the one I feel comic book superhero, whether it's within the cartoon or the movies that kind of transcends generations," he said. "So grownups can enjoy the turtles just as much as their kids do and there's really no effort in like saying, 'okay, I'm going to go watch that movie because my kid watches that movie.' No, I'm actually going to go watch that movie because I enjoy watching that movie ya know, so it's one of those great things, and that's why I think the turtles have kind of stood the test of time."

Jephael
09-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Eat my ass Jeff.

Now that you mention it, I am a little famished.

*Digs tomato sauce out of the fridge*

Andrew NDB
09-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Now that you mention it, I am a little famished.

*Digs tomato sauce out of the fridge*

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/45/32/ee/4532eec8c1979fdedd988013ec1e0cce.jpg