PDA

View Full Version : Muckman's legs

tmntskid
09-22-2016, 03:04 AM
Hi everyone

I just got a Muckman and I've noticed his legs are a little bit loose.

https://sendvid.com/y1ng35i9

I am afraid they are going to break.

Is this normal with this figure?

Thank you

joefsas
09-22-2016, 03:54 AM
I could live with that! My Usagi figure can hardly stand cus his legs are so loose :lol:

nellyp
09-22-2016, 06:19 AM
It is a bit loose but should be fine for display. Wouldn't recommend any rough playtime with it though. If you have kids I would keep it away from them and if you are a kid don't have him hang out with your GI Joes cause they get in all kinds of rough situations :P

I have a Raph the Green Berret in a similar state and I don't like my kids playing with it. I keep it in a box with the other vintage figures at the moment. I call it my mystery box of awesomeness so when the kids try to get toys out of it I say "what is it with your obsession with daddy's mystery box of awesomeness?" Then I let them take just a couple figures out on special occasions cause they break a lot of their nick turtles.

tmntman
09-22-2016, 07:08 AM
If the ball joints were loose, I was going to suggest the trick that Transformers fans use: spraying furniture polish onto the ball to add a bit more resistance.

But in your case, since both legs are wiggling together it isn't the ball joints that are the problem. It appears that the plastic piece inside which has the
male ends of each hip joint is moving around. Without opening up the figure, you won't know why. (You might try removing one of the legs and trying to inspect the damage through the hip socket.) But without cracking the body of the figure open, their isn't a lot you can do to access or repair that part.

jestergoblin
09-22-2016, 07:56 AM
You can also brush the ball (or inside the leg) with clear nail polish to give it grip back.

Mzx10484
09-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Surgical intervention respective ball joints is one of my professions, but minor scars could remain.

tmntskid
09-22-2016, 12:03 PM
I could live with that! My Usagi figure can hardly stand cus his legs are so loose :lol:

Thank you for your reply. Otherwise the figure is in great condition. It is just that I like the figure very much that I feel a bit disappointed for this issue.

It is a bit loose but should be fine for display. Wouldn't recommend any rough playtime with it though. If you have kids I would keep it away from them and if you are a kid don't have him hang out with your GI Joes cause they get in all kinds of rough situations :P

I have a Raph the Green Berret in a similar state and I don't like my kids playing with it. I keep it in a box with the other vintage figures at the moment. I call it my mystery box of awesomeness so when the kids try to get toys out of it I say "what is it with your obsession with daddy's mystery box of awesomeness?" Then I let them take just a couple figures out on special occasions cause they break a lot of their nick turtles.

Thank you for your reply. I like the figure very much. I will have to be careful every time I put the retromutagen ooze for display. Thank you for your advice as well. The mistery box of awesomeness sounds sounds great. I think I could apply something like that. Thanks.

If the ball joints were loose, I was going to suggest the trick that Transformers fans use: spraying furniture polish onto the ball to add a bit more resistance.

But in your case, since both legs are wiggling together it isn't the ball joints that are the problem. It appears that the plastic piece inside which has the
male ends of each hip joint is moving around. Without opening up the figure, you won't know why. (You might try removing one of the legs and trying to inspect the damage through the hip socket.) But without cracking the body of the figure open, their isn't a lot you can do to access or repair that part.

Exactly as you say, the ball joints are not the problem. I am afraid the plastic piece inside that grips the ball joints and the legs get loose completely. It doesn't look it is going to happen now, but I am afraid it happens eventually. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

tmntskid
09-22-2016, 01:14 PM
You can also brush the ball (or inside the leg) with clear nail polish to give it grip back.

Surgical intervention respective ball joints is one of my professions, but minor scars could remain.

Thank you for your replies. However, it doesn't seem ball joints are the problem. As tmntman said. It is the piece inside that grips them.
Mzx10484 could we know your procedure in those cases? Thanks

Mzx10484
09-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Thank you for your replies. However, it doesn't seem ball joints are the problem. As tmntman said. It is the piece inside that grips them.
Mzx10484 could we know your procedure in those cases? Thanks

The ball joints are not broken but the pair of ball joints is probably loose (maybe the frame of the ball joint pair is broken)... I repaired a Movie Star Don figure by replacing a broken ball joint pair, but I had to separate the two halfs with a sharp blade. If you would do this, you could fix the ball joint piece with super glue. Easier: Just auction an uninjured figure.

Meow
09-22-2016, 02:12 PM
The ball joints are not broken but the pair of ball joints is probably loose (maybe the frame of the ball joint pair is broken)... I repaired a Movie Star Don figure by replacing a broken ball joint pair, but I had to separate the two halfs with a sharp blade. If you would do this, you could fix the ball joint piece with super glue. Easier: Just auction an uninjured figure.
Absolutely agree. It's the inner plastic piece that's about to go loose on the inside. Instead of cutting the figure open which can turn out as an intense task aside probably damaging figure parts I'd recommend to get some poxy glue (not putty! eg smoothon epoxacast), let it sit for a while if it is too thin so it can thicken to be then comfortably applied with a qtip or something like that while the legs were temporarly removed. Let dry for 24-48 hours and be happy :tgrin:

In a similar but a bit more filigrane way I repaired the broken off ball-joint on the inside of mondo geko's back + recreated the ball-joint itself so he could have a tail popped on and off again :)

tmntskid
09-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Absolutely agree. It's the inner plastic piece that's about to go loose on the inside. Instead of cutting the figure open which can turn out as an intense task aside probably damaging figure parts I'd recommend to get some poxy glue (not putty! eg smoothon epoxacast), let it sit for a while if it is too thin so it can thicken to be then comfortably applied with a qtip or something like that while the legs were temporarly removed. Let dry for 24-48 hours and be happy :tgrin:

In a similar but a bit more filigrane way I repaired the broken off ball-joint on the inside of mondo geko's back + recreated the ball-joint itself so he could have a tail popped on and off again :)

Thank you for your reply. Could you put a picture of the glue you used please? and what is the best way to remove the legs? Thanks.

Mzx10484
09-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Just try and make decisions - self-sufficiently !

Meow
09-24-2016, 03:01 AM
Thank you for your reply. Could you put a picture of the glue you used please? and what is the best way to remove the legs? Thanks.
It depends on which one you're planning to get. The one I mentioned exists in different variaties while I personally use the 690 which wouldn't be one I'd recommend for repairs since it's a high quality clear casting epoxy and usually doesn't come in small sizes, hence an interesting price. Take a look at it here for an overview of the epoxacast series: https://www.smooth-on.com/category/epoxy-resin/

If you're in possession of a similar 2-component casting epoxy, feel free to use it. If not I'm sure someone on this board is able to recommend one or another of those for your repair use. Just make sure you're safe while working with those!

How to remove the legs? Pull them off carefully, those are simple ball joints. Once removed take a flashlight and examine the inside to find out what's exactly broken if you haven't done that yet.

go_ninja84
09-24-2016, 06:33 AM
its probably the square peg inside the body that the ball joint secures to thats loose or the square hole on the ball joint is starting to round out. take a leg off and put some JB Weld in there. that stuff holds anything together

Meow
09-25-2016, 03:50 AM
(...) and put some JB Weld in there. that stuff holds anything together
Never heard of that before but a quick research on the web about it seems to be the right thing and so therefore would be a good example of "surely someone else able to give directions" :)

Go for it tmntskid tiger :tgrin:

go_ninja84
09-29-2016, 06:24 AM
Never heard of that before but a quick research on the web about it seems to be the right thing and so therefore would be a good example of "surely someone else able to give directions" :)

Go for it tmntskid tiger :tgrin:
all you have to do is remove the leg, mix a small amount from the 2 tubes onto a piece of cardboard (the epoxy and hardener), grab a toothpick and dab some inside the square hole of the leg joint.

let the figure sit for 24 hours to cure and your good. its strong stuff. its mostly used in automotive applications but i have fixed a retro collection Donatello that suffered from the same thing.

the guy at Autozone told me he used it to fix a crack in an engine block to get his car back home. pretty strong stuff

tmntman
09-29-2016, 06:56 AM
Of course, if you do use JB Weld, we will all have to call your figure redneck Muckman from now on. Next to duct tape, JB Weld is one of the most misused/abused way of slapping items together. Though in this instance, since it is an interior repair, it should work well.