PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Nick Adventures #14 (final issue?)

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Well just read it. Finished the weird drip mutant story from the previous one, just a small tiny water mutant who tried to flood the sewers. Don put it in a canister and put it on the shelf similar to what he did with The Creep.

The back-up story was a nice gag comic where Renet took Mikey back in time 1 year to see Leo slip on a banana peel to relive his "funniest moment." Renet is cute in 2D form, but that's it.

If this was the last issue since the Batman crossover is coming next, its kind of an underwhelming end to the Nick comics.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Well just read it. Finished the weird drip mutant story from the previous one, just a small tiny water mutant who tried to flood the sewers. Don put it in a canister and put it on the shelf similar to what he did with The Creep.

The back-up story was a nice gag comic where Renet took Mikey back in time 1 year to see Leo slip on a banana peel to relive his "funniest moment." Renet is cute in 2D form, but that's it.

If this was the last issue since the Batman crossover is coming next, its kind of an underwhelming end to the Nick comics.

Yeah, well...

Doesn't "underwhelming" pretty much sum up the entire TMNT Nick comics run?

CyberCubed
09-22-2016, 12:25 PM
If it was the final issue, I would have expected something a bit bigger like a final story with Shredder or the Foot.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-22-2016, 12:32 PM
If it was the final issue, I would have expected something a bit bigger like a final story with Shredder or the Foot.

But they've never done anything to establish their own continuity or break out from the show's televised continuity.

Why would the final issue (if that's what it is) be any different?

myconius
09-22-2016, 11:33 PM

i think he meant that 'Last issue' more of a "previously in Tmnt: Amazing Adventures" sort of naration.

but yeah, that could have also been a sign of "The End" as well?

CyberCubed
09-23-2016, 01:19 AM
They're doing the Batman/TMNT crossover next, but this seems to be the last standard issue of the series.

Unless it resumes 6 months from now after the Batman/Nick TMNT crossover ends.

myconius
09-23-2016, 05:36 AM
i think there was word of this series going on hiatus now that you mention it?

i'll keep this title in my pull-list just in case it comes back.

and i hope it does return. it might not be to most incredible comic series ever, but it was nice silly fun.

ToTheNines
09-24-2016, 07:41 AM
Another fun issue. I was honestly expecting the backup to lead directly into the Batman Adventure, since it involved Renet and Sommariva was drawing it. Guess he was just warming up. I certainly enjoy his sequentials more than his covers, so that's good.

Jephael
09-25-2016, 07:09 AM
Haven't gotten my copy yet, though it sounds like a fun final issue. Much like how I feel towards the cartoon itself, part of me wants to see the series continue but then part of me kinda wants to see it end for good. Sadly, I'm just not as into this stuff as I used to be :tconfuse:

oldmanwinters
09-25-2016, 11:55 AM
The thing I'll miss most about the Animated/Amazing Adventures is the backup stories, which often have a remarkable diversity of styles and colors from the more "on model" consistency of the main story. I really like how many of the backups are simple short stories that wrap-up in at appropriate pace and focus on the joy of the medium rather than trying to over-dramatize a minor threat.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Haven't gotten my copy yet, though it sounds like a fun final issue. Much like how I feel towards the cartoon itself, part of me wants to see the series continue but then part of me kinda wants to see it end for good. Sadly, I'm just not as into this stuff as I used to be :tconfuse:

The more you say it, the less I believe you.

snake
09-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Jeph moved on from silly funny-books and cartoons and soley focuses on fat hookers nowadays.

beardcore84
09-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Can anyone confirm this was the last issue, or if the chalkboard writing meant "this is what happened last issue?"

ToTheNines
09-25-2016, 09:03 PM
This is it. Batman/TMNT Adventures starts in November and runs until April. After that it's hard to say, but since the cartoon's ending they probably won't make any more comics based on it.

CyberCubed
09-25-2016, 09:12 PM
They could make more one-shot specials like that weird basketball star issue.

Andrew NDB
09-26-2016, 01:06 AM
I'm not sure Nick Adventures is really "for" anyone in this thread. It's a bit like all the people complaining about the lack of quality in the latest Playmates TMNT toys. Over and over again.

ToTheNines
09-26-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure Nick Adventures is really "for" anyone in this thread. It's a bit like all the people complaining about the lack of quality in the latest Playmates TMNT toys. Over and over again.

I think it's just never escaped that "Adventures" stigma. People so badly want it to be the modern TMNTA by Dean Clarrain, but won't accept it.

Andrew NDB
09-26-2016, 09:54 AM
I think something like this was sort of doomed from the start. I get the idea that it's supposed to either be a gateway hook into TMNT for little kids, or simply to funnel existing Nick TMNT kid fans into comics... but that's not really the way the market has worked for over a decade. Comics aren't in grocery stores anymore, barely even in things like Barnes and Noble, and little kids aren't really wandering into dedicated comic stores in any significant number. Maybe if they struck some deal with, you know, Toys'R'Us to put the book on the shelf next to TMNT toys or something, that'd have some chance.

I'm not sure how it shook out with IDW, but I remember way back when Nick was speaking with Boom!, part of the deal was that Nick was wanting them to do both a kids TMNT book based on the cartoon to be and the more young adult TMNT book. So this all might be a thing being pushed by Nick, not IDW.

ToTheNines
09-26-2016, 10:36 AM
Right. If it was still the grocery store era, it would probably behoove them to make each issue stand-alone.

But I bet the majority of the New Animated/Amazing Adventures are actually adults. They would have been better off to just make the best book possible, but I guess they thought it would be better to go with a low-risk/(potential) high-reward approach.

CyberCubed
09-26-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm surprised they kept it alive as long as they did. Nick Animated Adventures lasted 24 issues, and Amazing Adventures 14 issues. Then the basketball special and the 6-issue Batman crossover.

Taken altogether that's about 45 issues, which is nothing to scoff at. We got 45 issues and that's quite a bit for what was a comic that never sold well.

neatoman
09-26-2016, 12:36 PM
I think something like this was sort of doomed from the start. I get the idea that it's supposed to either be a gateway hook into TMNT for little kids, or simply to funnel existing Nick TMNT kid fans into comics... but that's not really the way the market has worked for over a decade. Comics aren't in grocery stores anymore, barely even in things like Barnes and Noble, and little kids aren't really wandering into dedicated comic stores in any significant number. Maybe if they struck some deal with, you know, Toys'R'Us to put the book on the shelf next to TMNT toys or something, that'd have some chance.

I'm not sure how it shook out with IDW, but I remember way back when Nick was speaking with Boom!, part of the deal was that Nick was wanting them to do both a kids TMNT book based on the cartoon to be and the more young adult TMNT book. So this all might be a thing being pushed by Nick, not IDW.

It does make sense if Nick pushed for a kids' book, they kept a series nobody was buying going for 24 issues and followed it up with another series nobody was buying that went on for 14 issues. Even if Nick wasn't pushing for it there had to be some kind of agenda for a Nick tie-in book not directly tied to profits, otherwise there wouldn't have been a rebranding or even a two year run to begin with.

myconius
09-26-2016, 08:22 PM
i wonder if the new Batman cross-over with the Nick Cartoon is a lost hope to stir interest in the cartoon based comics?

not that i mind the cartoon based comic cross-over, but given with how successful the first Batman/Tmnt cross-over was, you'd think they'd go for the safe bet and follow up with a sequel?

myconius
10-06-2016, 09:45 PM
looks like the final A.A. collected edition will only have issues #13 & #14 as well as the Basketball special issue

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631408437/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CyberCubed
10-06-2016, 10:02 PM
looks like the final A.A. collected edition will only have issues #13 & #14 as well as the Basketball special issue

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631408437/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well the basketball special was the length of two issues, so its a standard 4 issue trade.

But yes this looks like the end besides the Batman crossover.

myconius
10-07-2016, 04:15 AM
i'm actually gonna miss it.

but "all good things..." as they say

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 10:08 AM
i wonder if the new Batman cross-over with the Nick Cartoon is a lost hope to stir interest in the cartoon based comics?

Or the last hurrah. Either way, it's cool that it's out there.

myconius
10-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Or the last hurrah. Either way, it's cool that it's out there.

i've already added it to my pull-list at my local comic shop.

just thinking if i want to subscribe to it on Comixology as well? :)