PDA

View Full Version : Now There's A New Female-Led Magnum PI Sequel

ZariusTwo
09-22-2016, 01:24 PM
ABC is teaming with Leverage creator John Rogers and producer Eva Longoria for a Magnum P.I. sequel focusing on the daughter of the iconic character played by Tom Selleck, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Magnum has received a script commitment with a hefty penalty. The potential series is described as an action-packed drama in the same style of the original. It follows Magnum's daughter, Lily "Tommy" Magnum, who returns to Hawaii to take up the mantle of her father's PI firm. She and her tribe of friends mix tropical beaches with the seedy underbelly of international crime and modern espionage, even as she tries to unravel the mystery of the blown spy operation that ended her career in Navy intelligence.

From Tina Fey to Bryan Fuller, 41 Hollywood Producers Explain the Weird, Personal Origins of Their Company Names

Rogers will pen the script and executive produce alongside his Kung Fu Monkey topper Jennifer Court. Universal Television-based Longoria will executive produce alongside Ben Spector. Magnum P.I. owns the rights to the series, and Longoria's affiliation with the studio is important to the ABC revival.

Originally created by Donald P. Bellisario and Glen A. Larson, Magnum P.I. launched in 1980 and ran for eight seasons on CBS. Magnum's daughter was featured in four episodes. She was raised by her mother, Magnum's presumed dead wife, Michele, and her second husband. Following their deaths, Lily was reunited with her birth father.

Reboots continue to remain in high demand as broadcast, cable and streaming outlets look for proven IP in a bid to cut through a cluttered scripted landscape that is quickly approaching 500 original series. Key to the remakes is having the original producers involved in some capacity as more studios look to monetize their existing film libraries.

28 TV Network Chiefs on Dream Casting, the Reboot Craze and What Happens Under President Trump

Already in the works this season are reboots of The Lost Boys (The CW), Varsity Blues (CMT), The Departed (Amazon), Let the Right One In (TNT) and L.A. Law, though the latter does not yet have a network attached.

The upcoming broadcast season features a number of familiar titles, including MacGyver (CBS), Training Day (CBS), Frequency (The CW), Lethal Weapon (Fox), 24: Legacy (Fox), The Exorcist (Fox) and Taken (NBC).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/magnum-pi-sequel-works-at-931861

TheSkeletonMan939
09-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Reminds me of the "Mrs. Columbo" series they tried doing some time ago... that didn't go so well.

plastroncafe
09-22-2016, 01:37 PM
I did enjoy "Leverage," and most of the early "Burn Notice," and this sounds like it's the lovechild of both those shows.

Could be good?
Or it could be something I just burn through next time I'm home sick with the flu.

snake
09-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Ah, riding on the coattails of men as usual. Never change, feminists.

Commenter 42
09-22-2016, 02:18 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/TshIRS1XTxB0A/giphy.gif

Candy Kappa
09-22-2016, 02:52 PM
I donno... Magnum PI is pretty awesome, and the name is catching. But I think I'd rather have a reboot series set in 70s/80s then contemporary times. I'm more interested in the MacGyver reboot, I absolutely loved the original show.

So, when does V.I.P. get its reboot series, or Tropic Thunder?

ZariusTwo
09-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Thunder In Paradise with John Cena A.S.A.P

Storm Eagle
09-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Dang. I'm almost surprised MacGyver doesn't feature a female lead.

The Deadman
09-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Ah, riding on the coattails of men as usual. Never change, feminists.

But..but..equality!

Raph's Girl
09-23-2016, 03:23 PM
A Magnum P.I spin-off about Thomas' daughter?? Isn't that My Little Pony Friendship is Magic?? Seriously Rarity's dad is ponified Thomas Magnum. The rest of the Magnum P.I gang have even appeared in the comics. :P

I wonder if this spin-off will crossover with Hawaii 5.0?

Powder
09-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Is this the kind of entertainment the average broad really wants? Female versions of everything? I don't see it.

I've never sat through something & thought "You know what would make this better? If those women were men." & I can't imagine too many women doing the inverse, though obviously some do, & there's is plenty of room for gender-balanced casts.

Andrew NDB
09-23-2016, 03:28 PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_0JKEUU7--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1339326076669610567.png

Jephael
09-23-2016, 04:07 PM
You know what's funny is they could easily do a Back to the Future spin-off featuring Marty and Jennifer's daughter Marlene McFly who would be about 18 by now.

plastroncafe
09-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Is this the kind of entertainment the average broad really wants? Female versions of everything? I don't see it.

I've never sat through something & thought "You know what would make this better? If those women were men." & I can't imagine too many women doing the inverse, though obviously some do, & there's is plenty of room for gender-balanced casts.

Personally? I'd rather see Karen Sisco back on the screen than Magnum P.I., and not just because Carla Gugino...okay, maybe it's a little bit Carla Gugino. Shame Elmore Leonard doesn't have the tv rights anymore.

There's some good sociological work out there regarding Perception Bias and gender parity, if you're actually interested.

Language Myth # 6
Women Talk Too Much (http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/prejudice/women/) pbs.org
The ‘Feminized Society’ Myth (http://inthesetimes.com/article/16157/our_feminized_society) inthesetimes.com

Andrew, thanks for reminding me of the hotness that is Holtzmann.
A day without her is like a day without sunshine.

snake
09-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Personally? I'd rather see Karen Sisco back on the screen than Magnum P.I., and not just because Carla Gugino...okay, maybe it's a little bit Carla Gugino. Shame Elmore Leonard doesn't have the tv rights anymore.

There's some good sociological work out there regarding Perception Bias and gender parity, if you're actually interested.

Language Myth # 6
Women Talk Too Much (http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/prejudice/women/) pbs.org
The ‘Feminized Society’ Myth (http://inthesetimes.com/article/16157/our_feminized_society) inthesetimes.com

Andrew, thanks for reminding me of the hotness that is Holtzmann.
A day without her is like a day without sunshine.

I'm not reading your bullsh*t mind control cuck articles.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-23-2016, 09:15 PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_0JKEUU7--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1339326076669610567.png

Damn you, Andrew! I had almost forgotten this exists. :P

snake
09-23-2016, 09:30 PM
I wonder if the 10+ people Plastron dragged along to see Fembusters are still friends with her

BubblyShell22
09-24-2016, 07:02 AM
If they're entitled feminists like she is, then I'm sure they're still friends with her.

As for this show, I'm not that against it because it is a next generation thing and not a whole reboot. But I get where you're coming from, Powder, and do feel that some things should be left alone just like in the case of Ghostbusters. They better not make MacGyver female because it just would ruin everything.

ToTheNines
09-24-2016, 07:09 AM
Anyone ever been to a Lez Zeppelin concert? Now there's a cool all-female version of something.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
09-24-2016, 04:52 PM
You know what's funny is they could easily do a Back to the Future spin-off featuring Marty and Jennifer's daughter Marlene McFly who would be about 18 by now.

My idea for the Back to the Future reboot is that Marty and Doc travel through time stopping Hollywood from doing terrible reboots...

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
09-24-2016, 04:55 PM

I don't know man I've sorta always pined for a new version of Little Women called Little Men with an all midget cast.

ToTheNines
09-24-2016, 04:59 PM
All female G.I. Joe.

Titled G.I. Ho.

plastroncafe
09-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Anyone ever been to a Lez Zeppelin concert? Now there's a cool all-female version of something.

Lez Zeppelin is AMAZING!
And I will forever be disappointed that Expendables 2 wasn't the crew from the first vs Linda Hamilton, Sigorney Weaver, Pam Grier, Michelle Yeoh....etc.

BubblyShell22
09-25-2016, 06:22 AM
I don't know man I've sorta always pined for a new version of Little Women called Little Men with an all midget cast.

Louisa May Alcott did write a story called Little Men and another called Jo's Boys so if they wanted to, they could adapt them.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
09-25-2016, 09:34 PM
Louisa May Alcott did write a story called Little Men and another called Jo's Boys so if they wanted to, they could adapt them.

Actually I think I knew that about Little Men. My wife is a fan of Little Women.

Allio
09-25-2016, 10:46 PM
We need a Male Hocus pocus

After being destroyed in their original movie, The Sanderson sisters are given a second chance to cause some hell again as Satan reincarnates them back into the mortal world. but now they have been given new bodies with some extra…”wand” power.

Utrommaniac
09-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Male Charlie's Angels.
Brotherhoood of the Traveling Pants.

I'll be waiting.

plastroncafe
09-26-2016, 08:46 AM
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, you're getting your own Splash.