PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the CG animation of the show will age well 10 years from now?

CyberCubed
09-23-2016, 06:14 PM
How well do you think the CG animation of this show will age? If people watch the show 10 years from now, will they still say, "This show looks good" or will the graphics be dated like videogame graphics from previous consoles?

The first season already looks a bit dated compared to Seasons 3 and 4, but do you think it will age well?

Cartoons are timeless, but CG animation ages a bit rougher. What do you think? People can still watch Toy Story 1 which came out in 1995 (20 years ago) and it still looks good today.

ssjup81
09-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Probably, but luckily, I'm not the type to care about animation ruining a show for me or whatever. I still like old stuff.:P

lonewarrior20
09-23-2016, 06:27 PM
well i think it'll age ok. i mean look at beast wars. that came out in 96.
5SepcT0KtUM

snake
09-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Yeah. Stuff made today will probably still look good in 2026.

ToTheNines
09-23-2016, 07:48 PM
The first season already looks a bit dated compared to Seasons 3 and 4, but do you think it will age well?.

That's a crock of sh*t.

snake
09-23-2016, 07:50 PM
That's a crock of sh*t.

They look exactly the same. If anything, you'd think the animation would improve since season 1.

IndigoErth
09-23-2016, 08:08 PM
Visually, it'll probably still look fine because it is a cartoon design rather than something that is trying to be realistic. So this imo will prob hold up fine on it's own as an art style. What will look bad then are probably lower budget-looking things that already look bad now. Far older things unsurprisingly look bad in comparison now simply because the technology has come a long way at this point.

Consider how movies such as Monsters, Inc. holds up. That film is already 15 years old! But the technology had already made leaps and bounds. If I recall, and if it is correct, I think Sully supposedly may have been the first legitimately furry 3D character. And though hair has continued to improve in 3D, his design still looks good.

I think if anything in this TMNT looks kinda "blah" later is the way too plastic look to human hair. It bugs me a little as it is, but I know more realistic hair would just bog down the rendering and cost them more.

Things that are trying to be realistic probably stand to be more noticeable. This will probably apply more to characters such as the PD Turtles, rather than the Nick series.

Coola Yagami
09-23-2016, 08:10 PM
Yeah, if we get used to newer series with better hair detail somehow working within the budget of a weekly show, looking back at TMNT will be just horrible with April's fake plastic mold hair.

Powder
09-23-2016, 08:15 PM
That's a crock of sh*t.

Not dated necessarily, but they are at times less fluid (which I actually kinda preferred).

CyberCubed
09-23-2016, 08:28 PM
The show looks visually better in Season 3 and 4. Even when the eps were airing for the first time I noticed it immediately.

plastroncafe
09-23-2016, 08:34 PM
The CG will age a hell of a lot better than the OT hand drawn did.

Commenter 42
09-23-2016, 09:16 PM
No.

It already looks cheap now, not to mention in 10 years, flat HD television will be long gone.

I mean, how good do the effects of superman returns look today?

Things change.

I mean, this was normal in 2006
http://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20130418/douchebags_04.jpg

victory_angel
09-24-2016, 12:58 AM
The Ninja Turtles themselves will be timeless and there will always be different interpretations, different versions, different visions.

But yes the shows and mediums in which they are offered will not age well.

I don't think the animation of this show will age as well when compared:lol: to animation ten years from now.

I mean the OT is cheesy and dated and very much viewed as a reflection of its time. And yes you do see a lot of errors or situations that you look at and say "Seriously?"

The 2k3 the animation wasn't as good in some episodes as it was in others. Both in plot and animation. Such as some episodes the turtles were more clunky, other episodes they were more streamlined.

Even this series has shown some age with the earlier episodes resembling digital stop motion.

neatoman
09-24-2016, 02:50 AM
I'd have to agree with Commenter 42 on this one, the show looks pretty cheap even today so there's no way in hell it'll age well. Season one is only four years old and it's already showing signs of not really aging that well, the creepy ghost town setting and limited sets certainly doesn't help.

shredder orokusaki
09-24-2016, 05:31 AM
Only if it starts be made on 4k resolution with latest graphics techoloy that current high end pc's and tvs can do only if this happen it will age well. It looks almost the same on my GTX 970 and 2560x1440 monitor and as it did on the GTX 560 TI and 1280x1024 monitor that i had when it started in 2012. Wjy? Because it is not made in high resolution and new graphics techology to take advantage of the power that pc's and high resolution tv's/monitors have nowdays.

ToTheNines
09-24-2016, 06:16 AM
No wonder Tang Shen wouldn't fu*k you, ya goddamned nerd.

ABrown
09-24-2016, 08:14 AM
No.
It already looks cheap now, not to mention in 10 years, flat HD television will be long gone.

I'd have to agree with Commenter 42 on this one, the show looks pretty cheap even today so there's no way in hell it'll age well.

Agreed. I don't think the animation in this series looks all that great NOW. It's a very odd style of animation.

snake
09-24-2016, 08:36 AM
I think the animation works well on mutants/masked characters. Humans look weird as f*ck though.

Aaronardo
09-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Not dated necessarily, but they are at times less fluid (which I actually kinda preferred).

Hell yes. For whatever reason the somewhat jerky animation made it somewhat interesting to watch. At least in seasons 1 and 2 it could pass off as some kind of style. Seasons 3 and 4, while they look great for CG TV now, might not age well since they don't have that same edge.

Powder
09-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I liked that a lot. It gave it an almost claymation/stopmotion kinda vibe which was pretty endearing.

Bry
09-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Well, CG animation is always going to age kinda poorly so long as the art form keeps pushing forward. Most television animation is going to look dated from a distance.

For example, I remember being a kid when ReBoot and Beast Wars were mind-blowing stuff, and as much as I still love those shows... the earlier seasons in particular really haven't aged well. Hard to avoid. It's best to look at this stuff as a product of the time they were produced.

TMNT is going for a specific kind of art style that I think will help it in the long run, though, and help cover some of its animation flaws. It's never tried for something especially "realistic".

I mean, how good do the effects of superman returns look today?

I dunno about you, but 2006-era effects be damned, the plane rescue scene is still awesome.

Commenter 42
09-24-2016, 11:57 PM
I dunno about you, but 2006-era effects be damned, the plane rescue scene is still awesome.

That's one of the sequences that look the most dated.