PDA

View Full Version : Raph full circle with Apritello

victory_angel
09-26-2016, 11:17 AM
With the Dark April arc looming forward we know that a certain Purple-Masked turtle is not going to come out of this event unscathed.

This show has had some off and on Donnie/Raph bonding moments throughout this series. But this season, in particular, has been putting a good deal Donnie and Raph's relationship as brothers.

A particularly good example of this is the Revenge of the Triceratons when Raph is telling Donnie the words he needed to hear at that moment in time. Throughout this series, Raph has shown the least patience for Donnie's scientific prowess. So for him to be the one who is able to convince Donnie to at least try and repair the Fugitoid it's a big deal.

Also, Raph has had the least tolerance about Donnie's feelings for April. Early on he would mostly roll his eyes with disgust, or point out that Donnie's attempts at impressing April were so pathetic that he didn't want to have any part in it. To dropping hints in season two about April no longer needing them in her life to stating he doesn't want to take sides between his brother and his "Best" friend in the whole April issue. To Foot Too Big in season three where he pretty much spells out that any further attempts at trying to woo April's heart would only result in heartbreak.

While Raph has always been the more realist view in regards his each of his brothers love-interests, he seems to have changed his views after finding a love interest of his own. So perhaps when April becomes evil, Raph will be the one who is there to help get Don back on track. And quite possibly admitting that Donnie's did feel something genuine for April so that had to count for something in getting her back. While Leo on the other hand, would be the one telling Don that April is no longer there.

CyberCubed
09-26-2016, 12:29 PM
No. No more shipping.

TurtleTitan97
09-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Yeah, this is probably one of the few instances I will agree with Cubed.

plastroncafe
09-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Granted I've mentally blocked out a good portion of the Apritello stuff, but I don't remember having the impression that Raph didn't believe Don's affection to be real, rather he disliked how Don expressed that affection.

Like a Nice Guy Creeper.

ToTheNines
09-26-2016, 12:38 PM
I ship Dr. Cluckingsworth and The Hammer.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-26-2016, 12:54 PM
No. No more shipping.

A vote for Cubed is a vote for sanity.

NO MORE SHIPPING. You people ship more than FedEx and UPS combined. :trolleye:

plastroncafe
09-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Then maybe don't check in with this thread?

Sabacooza
09-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Stop with the shipping. It's disgusting.

Autbot_Benz
09-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Damn Shippers ruin Shows.Enough with the Shipping

plastroncafe
09-26-2016, 01:32 PM
:D

It might be time to break out some fanart!

IndigoErth
09-26-2016, 02:31 PM
:D

It might be time to break out some fanart!
Uh oh, getting out the heavy artillery. :tlol:

From what I got from it the topic is more about Raph just being there for his brother, after April goes 'bad,' rather than just brushing it off with no compassion as he might have previously done - rather than being 'just some shipping thread.'

Powder
09-26-2016, 02:50 PM
I think you're looking for (fill in the blank) where there is none.

plastroncafe
09-26-2016, 02:51 PM
http://66.media.tumblr.com/344254a9c0d2f45531e61992343d3c07/tumblr_nq9amvDIeA1tc37luo1_500.jpg

BubblyShell22
09-26-2016, 03:37 PM
I think Raph's feelings on Don having a crush on April and his bitterness was more of cynicism as he didn't feel it could happen to them. And though he did feel something for Mona Lisa, after the whole Evil of Dregg episode, I believe he decided it wasn't worth it because of the fact that she betrayed him. I could see him trying to cheer up Donnie, but that remains to be seen as he still could dismiss this whole thing too.

And there is nothing wrong with shipping as it makes the world go round.

victory_angel
09-26-2016, 04:22 PM
From what I got from it the topic is more about Raph just being there for his brother, after April goes 'bad,' rather than just brushing it off with no compassion as he might have previously done - rather than being 'just some shipping thread.'

That's it exactly. While Raph is well aware Donnie's feelings for April being real, he has also seen it as a happy delusion that would only end with his brother getting hurt.

And he has offered some support such as telling Donnie not to get so worked up about April after he divorced herself from them. He also helps clear up Donnie's misgivings of having to take out Mutagenman.

In that moment Donnie says "If we destroy him, I might not find the way to make retromutagen, what about April's dad?

And Raph answers by saying "What about April?" as though reminding him what is currently at stake at that moment in time.

Also during the invasion there is a moment where Raph sticks up for Donnie when Casey is asking if April ever talks about him.

Raph then responds by saying "I don't want to take sides here, but remember my brother also has feelings for her."

And in Foot too big he does come out and say it by telling Donnie to his face.

"She's a girl, (he never says she's human, he just says she's a girl) your a mutant turtle, accept that it's that it's never going to happen."

So when April becomes evil, Donnie would be hurt by this event either physically, emotionally, possibly mentally, or maybe some combo of these options.

And someone is going to need to be there to scrape up the pieces and try to put their brother back together in some degree of functioning order.

Mikey wouldn't be a good in that department. I mean yeah he would try to cheer his brother up, but Mikey isn't all that that tactful with some of the things he says. Such as when he tries to sound comforting and ends up saying the opposite of what he was meaning. For example during the invasion when Donnie is trying to ease April's anxieties about what she has just caused for them. And Mikey responds by saying "Yeah, we can blame you ourselves." And other times his idea of fixing the issue makes it worse.

Leo would feel a sense of loss with April, but he also will feel that someone needs to be pragmatic about it as well. While his view may be right for the situation, it may or may not be the right solution.

Such as during Mutagen Man Unleashed, there is a moment where Leo falls back and tells Donnie directly that Timothy was no longer there.

And Lonely Mutation of Baxter Stockman, Leo is the only one of the two turtles who was reaching for his weapon after April fell into the mutagen.

Also in the "Try Harder Argument, " Leo easily could have dragged April into the issue by saying "You don't want to save Karai, because she's tried to kill April!" But maturely chose not to.

And yet he also has used Donnie's infatuation with April to indicate why they shouldn't forsake Karai as well.

Such as when Donnie is pointing out that if he can't find a cure for Karai, they are going to need to focus on the other things that are going on in the city. And Leo responds with "It's not that simple, you of all people should know this."

So I can certainly see Leo telling Donnie that the April they knew may no longer be there. They would do what they could to save her, but for the sake of the city they would have to accept the worst.

Which leaves Raph. And Raph would certainly be the one who would say that if April can be reached by any of them, he knows it would be Donnie.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-26-2016, 04:32 PM
The Titanic sank but this ship is still going?

Bloody outrage.

plastroncafe
09-26-2016, 04:42 PM
The Titanic sank but this ship is still going?

Bloody outrage.

DNyKDI9pn0Q
...it was too easy.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-26-2016, 04:46 PM
DNyKDI9pn0Q
...it was too easy.

There was room for both Jack and Rose on that floating debris AND YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT!!!!!!

Splinter the boss
09-26-2016, 06:40 PM
I thought that the show had put a temporary stop to them interacting as love interests. Is it back? I haven't watched recent episodes.

victory_angel
09-26-2016, 07:10 PM
I thought that the show had put a temporary stop to them interacting as love interests. Is it back? I haven't watched recent episodes.

The love interest thing is still there, but it is just subtle moments in the background at the moment.

myconius
09-26-2016, 09:54 PM
NO MORE SHIPPING. You people ship more than FedEx and UPS combined. :trolleye:

GOOD ONE!!! :lol:

is it me or has the shipping on this show gotten even worse?
eventually they won't even ninja fight anymore!! it'll just be one big cluster %*#& orgy!!!

TigerClaw
09-26-2016, 10:29 PM

eventually they won't even ninja fight anymore!! it'll just be one big cluster %*#& orgy!!!
When the characters are being shipped, it just shows how much the fans care about these characters.

plastroncafe
09-26-2016, 11:22 PM

I wouldn't say it's gotten worse, especially since the whole premise of the show itself is based on a shipping war.

Saki/Shen vs Yoshi/Shen

Powder
09-26-2016, 11:45 PM
When the characters are being shipped, it just shows how much the fans care about these characters.

Your post makes no sense.

victory_angel
09-27-2016, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't say it's gotten worse, especially since the whole premise of the show itself is based on a shipping war.

Saki/Shen vs Yoshi/Shen

Auman actually confirmed to me over FaceBook that yes the Capritello triangle was a mirror to the HamatoShenSaki triangle, just not as bloody.

Sabacooza
09-27-2016, 07:49 AM
When the characters are being shipped, it just shows how much the fans care about these characters.WOW! You'll defend absolutely anything won't you even to the point where you make up total nonsense.

plastroncafe
09-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Auman actually confirmed to me over FaceBook that yes the Capritello triangle was a mirror to the HamatoShenSaki triangle, just not as bloody.

Which is a shame because...actual stakes might make it interesting.
...Oooh, which one is which though.

I think Don is totally the Saki in this situation, by his claim of April being his.
Where as Casey is Yoshi, back in his Angry Young Man phase.

BubblyShell22
09-27-2016, 12:31 PM
No. No more shipping.

Says the guy who wants Karai and Shinigami to be revealed as lesbian lovers. Methinks the Cubed doth protest too much.

TigerClaw
09-27-2016, 02:11 PM
The whole shipping between Raph and Mona Lisa is fine, its ok to ship two characters who aren't human anyways.

I think most people draw the line, is when you ship a human with a mutants or aliens.

But when its mutants or aliens that are being shipped together, people should be ok with that cause they ain't human.

victory_angel
09-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Which is a shame because...actual stakes might make it interesting.
...Oooh, which one is which though.

I think Don is totally the Saki in this situation, by his claim of April being his.
Where as Casey is Yoshi, back in his Angry Young Man phase.

And yet Donnie has been maintaining a respectful distance in his relationship with April while Casey is still saying things like "Don't worry, Red, your man is here."

It feels more to me that April had true feelings for Donnie. But every time she cheerfully runs up and hugs Casey or whatever it feels staged. Like she is trying to convince herself that Casey is the better of her two suitors. But she still seems to have some misgivings about it.

Splinter the boss
09-27-2016, 02:58 PM
The show is strange, seriously. April is a teenage girl who goes to high school, sees boys all the time, and yet she might have feelings for a genetically mutated Turtle. Wow! It's incomprehensible.

plastroncafe
09-27-2016, 02:59 PM
We'd have to actually see April in school having friends and interacting with other kids to know that for sure.

Splinter the boss
09-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Still, it's high school, we're assuming there are interactions.

plastroncafe
09-27-2016, 03:05 PM

If she's in high school. Does she talk about school?
Because if she doesn't, then this is fanwank speculation.

BubblyShell22
09-27-2016, 03:32 PM
She did talk about how school wasn't fun in the first season and then there was that time she tutored Casey. But since then, nothing about school has been mentioned.

victory_angel
09-27-2016, 03:38 PM
If she's in high school. Does she talk about school?
Because if she doesn't, then this is fanwank speculation.

She did talk about school in season 1 a few times. That's one of the arguments she had against staying with the Turtles after her first fight with Karai. She says "What about school, what about my friends.". And season 2 she was shown attending school and convincing herself about what she should be focused on.

And even season 3 in the mondo gecko she mentions that both she and Casey have homework that needs doing.

As of right now, it is possible that she may have graduated high school. This would probably explain why she is supposedly living with the Turtles currently since she is now a Kunoichi.

ToTheNines
09-27-2016, 03:42 PM
The whole shipping between Raph and Mona Lisa is fine, its ok to ship two characters who aren't human anyways.

I think most people draw the line, is when you ship a human with a mutants or aliens.

But when its mutants or aliens that are being shipped together, people should be ok with that cause they ain't human.

And now you're making even less sense. Keep it up!

TigerClaw
09-27-2016, 04:15 PM
There were episodes that showed April in High School hanging with Erma, before she found out she was Kraang Sub Prime.

plastroncafe
09-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Seasons ago. There's been no recent indication that she's been anything but homeschooled by Splinter since.

TigerClaw
09-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Seasons ago. There's been no recent indication that she's been anything but homeschooled by Splinter since.
Probably during the time when her father was missing.

victory_angel
09-27-2016, 04:36 PM

In the meet mondo gecko episode there is a moment where she tries to reach Casey on her cell and says "Where's casey? We have homework to do!"

April would roughly be 19 years old now, so odds are likely she had graduated High School.

BubblyShell22
09-27-2016, 06:14 PM
Either that or maybe she does go to school but she just doesn't mention it as much.

TigerClaw
09-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Either that or maybe she does go to school but she just doesn't mention it as much.
you're probably right, cause when the Turtles went to her school, crazy things happened.

BubblyShell22
09-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Yep, but crazy things always happen when the Turtles are involved.

thundermaster612
09-28-2016, 03:13 PM
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew something would go bad.

TigerClaw
09-28-2016, 03:27 PM
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew something would go bad.
Very true.

BubblyShell22
09-28-2016, 04:57 PM
But it's not really that bad. I've seen worse threads than this.