PDA

View Full Version : New Neca Bootlegs

Redemption
09-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Does anyone think they will be bootlegging the new arcade and e&l villian sets?

D Piddy 1982
09-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Chinese bootleg SDCC sets are already up on UK eBay. Price is £140~£150 for a single set & £250 for both.

I must admit I'm tempted, but if rather invest the money into some real NECA TMNT merch.

Maybe if they were around £50 a set I'd seriously consider. I'm sure after a few months the Chinese will drop their prices.

Edit: obvs no E&L villain set yet as they haven't got their grubby little hands on a set to copy yet.

Redemption
09-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Well I collect real neca and not bootlegs. How can you tell the difference between real and bootleg arcade sets?

D Piddy 1982
09-27-2016, 01:08 PM
If the seller is located in China (Hong Kong or Guangzhou) then I generally take that as a bootleg.

In this case the SDCC sets currently on eBay are from China.

Edit: whether that's right or wrong (ie they are genuine NECAs, just from China) I don't know, but thems the rules I play by. China = knock off.

Discogod
09-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Chinese bootleg SDCC sets are already up on UK eBay. Price is £140~£150 for a single set & £250 for both.

They're not bootlegs. They're genuine NECA product, more than likely obtained by less-than-scrupulous means. The factories that produce these figures are based in China, so it's probable that they're either factory rejects or they're "free samples", if you catch my drift.

Rukitron
09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
I think most of the really good KOs are just figures done by the factories that were leased to make the official batches and still had the molds. There's some small differences though like MP Transformer KOs are generally very good despite coming from a brand called "Takasa Tony". Whatever factory that did the past Neca bootlegs improved a lot when they started doing colored bandana versions, even though they were still kinda hit or miss.

Powder
09-27-2016, 05:31 PM
They're not bootlegs. They're genuine NECA product, more than likely obtained by less-than-scrupulous means. The factories that produce these figures are based in China, so it's probable that they're either factory rejects or they're "free samples", if you catch my drift.

This. People need to stop being elitist about buying sets from Taobao or Aliexpress, they're genuine goods.

cloud
09-27-2016, 07:23 PM
I ordered a set from Taobao.
Now they are clearly not from SDCC. But that being said I wouldn't call them KOs or bootlegs being that the quality of the figures seems pretty good. It's not loose figures or packed in weird packaging. They might have been straight from the factory that was producing the SDCC NECA Turtles.

D Piddy 1982
09-28-2016, 01:52 AM
Discogod / Powder

I hear where you’re coming from, and I have no doubt these figures located in China are made using the same mould tools that created the 3,000 SDCC sets.

I work for a company who use Chinese moulders and mould tools. We make tons of stuff out of plastic. But believe me when I say the Chinese will do anything and everything to cut corners and costs if they are not QA’d. Cheaper materials, cheap paint, reduction in packaging quality etc.

Sometimes a deal is done where the company commissioning the mould (let’s say NECA in this instance) will get the mould for free or at a reduced cost with the agreement that the moulders can use the mould after the customer has finished with it, so the mould maker can make their money back on the mould (and hopefully some profit on top). This is only sometimes though, other times we are looking at copy moulds.

So I agree that these current sets, because they are out so early, are probably made using the same moulds that NECA used. But unfortunately, yes, I am a toy snob (sorry Powder! :P ). And knowing what I know about China, I’d rather pay the extra to get one of the ‘NECA approved’ sets that was sold at SDCC.

At least then I know that those figures have passed all NECA’s quality checks etc.

This is a bad analogy as we are talking toys here and not £50,000 super cars, but if a fully qualified mechanic bought all the exact components that Ferrari buys, from the same suppliers, and built the car in the same way, would it be a Ferrari? No it would be a damn near identical replica, but it wouldn’t be a ‘Ferrari’.

It’s the same with these Chinese knock offs. They are near as damn it (they use the same moulds etc) and that might be good enough for some people, but for me they aren’t ‘official’ NECA endorsed product so I find it difficult to bring myself to make a purchase. There’s always that chance that the quality could be poor (as seen with some of the Revoltech knock offs).

So in summary...basically…what Rukitron said!

Unfortunately for me, the limited run of 3,000 sets is now even less as some people have already repainted some sets, so in fact there are now less than 3,000 sets out there in original condition. Guess I’ll just keep on searching…

So Discogod, yes I would agree to some extent that some of the sets are probably as official as the SDCC sets, as in they are extras moulded for approval and whatnot, but I still believe MOST of the sets from China are made outside of NECAs quality checks. It might look, feel and smell like a NECA, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a NECA.

That's my way of thinking anyway.

DVD
09-28-2016, 02:46 AM
This. People need to stop being elitist about buying sets from Taobao or Aliexpress, they're genuine goods.

Thank you.

I can't explain how I feel when I read all this excrament about the neca sets being bootlegs, or using same molds makes them knock offs...etc. and I know a few people that would take extreme exception to it.
Ands it's on their behalf that I'm commenting.
Hot Toys does a run of toys, sells out then makes more after the fact- are they bootlegs!!
The Ferrari analogy doesn't hold water as that's how Ferraris are built. - a piece from here, a piece from there!! Then assembled in a factory - but not all at once, and there are rarely ever two that are identical!! Anyway.
If you don't know, have facts or are otherwise jumping to conclusions. Please don't comment.

I'm sure if I talked about a blue HSH dinosaur some folks would have said it was a fake... one member here knows different ;-)

Anyways. I'm glad a couple people here contacted me about certain sales. And I think it worked out for you.

Don't be put off by the comments here. You won't be disappointed with your Product in the slightest.

On that, today I got an25th anniversary neca April.

D Piddy 1982
09-28-2016, 03:40 AM
Thank you.

I can't explain how I feel when I read all this excrament about the neca sets being bootlegs, or using same molds makes them knock offs...etc. and I know a few people that would take extreme exception to it.
Ands it's on their behalf that I'm commenting.
Hot Toys does a run of toys, sells out then makes more after the fact- are they bootlegs!!
The Ferrari analogy doesn't hold water as that's how Ferraris are built. - a piece from here, a piece from there!! Then assembled in a factory - but not all at once, and there are rarely ever two that are identical!! Anyway.
If you don't know, have facts or are otherwise jumping to conclusions. Please don't comment.

I'm sure if I talked about a blue HSH dinosaur some folks would have said it was a fake... one member here knows different ;-)

Anyways. I'm glad a couple people here contacted me about certain sales. And I think it worked out for you.

Don't be put off by the comments here. You won't be disappointed with your Product in the slightest.

On that, today I got an25th anniversary neca April.

Hey, as I said, I can see where you and others are coming from.

My point of view is, using the example of the SDCC sets, NECA themselves stated that the sets were limited to 3,000 pieces. That means 3,000 sets made and approved by NECA themselves. Would you not agree then, that makes anything made on number 3,001+ is not an officially licensed NECA product? That’s how I am looking at it. Yeah, for sure, the factory that made the sets 3,001+ just ran the moulds for a little longer, ran the painting line a little longer…so yes in that respect these sets are just as good as the 3,000 original sets, because they were made at the same time, using the same materials etc. I’m sure these sets are of exceptional…or NECA approved quality, and buyers will not be disappointed, I’m sure.

However I’m afraid I would have to disagree on your Ferrari comments…unless the car rolls out of the factory in Maranello, Italy, I wouldn’t call it a Ferrari, despite the fact it had been made somewhere else using the exact same parts.

It’s good to have this discussion, but I am surprised how defensive/uppity people get on here. I’m laid back, so I’m not gonna say “I’m right, you’re wrong, end of discussion”. I’m just stating my opinion that anything outside of NECA’s official production run isn’t “officially” NECA. Unless NECA comes out and says “yeah we made some extra sets and let our Chinese partners sell them”.

mikeyatemypizza
09-28-2016, 04:15 AM
I am almost certain those moulds are going to be retained. Knowing that Randy is somewhat of a devious (in a good way) person, they may be seeing molten green plastic in the future. I can't believe that the cost of those moulds can be justified for such a small run. It took a while but he managed to get the Foot and Shredder out. I am certain he has a plan for the brothers.

Redemption
09-28-2016, 07:51 AM
I agree with what your saying 100% I completely understand your logic and I agree. Eventually 3000 sets turn into 5000 sets and then we will be having the discussion of what's bootleg and what isn't. We did with the original necas turtles and revoltech.

I also like your chill attitude. Rock on!

Hey, as I said, I can see where you and others are coming from.

My point of view is, using the example of the SDCC sets, NECA themselves stated that the sets were limited to 3,000 pieces. That means 3,000 sets made and approved by NECA themselves. Would you not agree then, that makes anything made on number 3,001+ is not an officially licensed NECA product? That’s how I am looking at it. Yeah, for sure, the factory that made the sets 3,001+ just ran the moulds for a little longer, ran the painting line a little longer…so yes in that respect these sets are just as good as the 3,000 original sets, because they were made at the same time, using the same materials etc. I’m sure these sets are of exceptional…or NECA approved quality, and buyers will not be disappointed, I’m sure.

However I’m afraid I would have to disagree on your Ferrari comments…unless the car rolls out of the factory in Maranello, Italy, I wouldn’t call it a Ferrari, despite the fact it had been made somewhere else using the exact same parts.

It’s good to have this discussion, but I am surprised how defensive/uppity people get on here. I’m laid back, so I’m not gonna say “I’m right, you’re wrong, end of discussion”. I’m just stating my opinion that anything outside of NECA’s official production run isn’t “officially” NECA. Unless NECA comes out and says “yeah we made some extra sets and let our Chinese partners sell them”.

Candy Kappa
09-28-2016, 10:29 AM
"Bootleg" is a very big and loose term nowadays, from illegal destribution and sale of any goods to counterfeit items. But, when it comes to toys and action figures, it's universally common that bootleg refers to counterfeits/recasts/fake/imitations. Which the NECA Mirage Tube bootlegs are, they are counterfeits. And so goes for the Revoltech Bootlegs, they are cheap imitations.

So, that said, I highly doubt the SDCC sets have been bootlegged in the counterfeit regards, as the NECA Video Game Apparences is a very niche market to begin with. And 3000 sets of VGA figures are a high number when all things considered.

Could they have been bootlegged as in stolen as sold illegally, sure. It's a possibility that all toys have, especially online regardless of what country the seller is located at (remember that US stores sold Tube bootlegs under the assumption they where real). But if your set have the SDCC sticker, it should be a legal copy since NECA applied them themselves.

D Piddy 1982
09-29-2016, 06:39 AM
"Bootleg" is a very big and loose term nowadays, from illegal destribution and sale of any goods to counterfeit items. But, when it comes to toys and action figures, it's universally common that bootleg refers to counterfeits/recasts/fake/imitations. Which the NECA Mirage Tube bootlegs are, they are counterfeits. And so goes for the Revoltech Bootlegs, they are cheap imitations.

So, that said, I highly doubt the SDCC sets have been bootlegged in the counterfeit regards, as the NECA Video Game Apparences is a very niche market to begin with. And 3000 sets of VGA figures are a high number when all things considered.

Could they have been bootlegged as in stolen as sold illegally, sure. It's a possibility that all toys have, especially online regardless of what country the seller is located at (remember that US stores sold Tube bootlegs under the assumption they where real). But if your set have the SDCC sticker, it should be a legal copy since NECA applied them themselves.

Yeah I can't deny I don't know the exact correct terminology, but essentially what I am trying to say is, if it's not one of the 3,000 sets then in my eyes it's not official NECA.

I'd actually be interested to know if NECA took all 3,000 sets to the comic con, that way we'd know that at least the 3,000 pieces started off in the US.

Agree with what you say though, and I have started looking out for the sticker on the uploaded images - I'm using that as my "stamp of approval". That's not to say someone can't create a fake one of those either!!

shredmiester
09-29-2016, 09:10 AM
I recently got a set from china and I must say that these are technically not bootlegs because they share the same quality as an original NECA figure. The smell is the same as on a regular NECA fig and the paint and joints are flawless. Hell it even has an SDCC sticker on the box.

I think a lot of people should be glad that because of chinese manufacturers, people who do not live in the states or couldn't attend SDCC 16 won't have to pay ridiculous aftermarket prices for the same product on ebay. I got my set for $98 from aliexpress with free shipping. Worth a shot if you ask me :tcool:

D Piddy 1982
09-29-2016, 10:05 AM
I recently got a set from china and I must say that these are technically not bootlegs because they share the same quality as an original NECA figure. The smell is the same as on a regular NECA fig and the paint and joints are flawless. Hell it even has an SDCC sticker on the box.

I think a lot of people should be glad that because of chinese manufacturers, people who do not live in the states or couldn't attend SDCC 16 won't have to pay ridiculous aftermarket prices for the same product on ebay. I got my set for $98 from aliexpress with free shipping. Worth a shot if you ask me :tcool:

Thanks for sharing, really interesting.

I must admit, each night that passes, I spend far too much time looking at these Chinese sets on eBay...my finger hoovering over the 'buy it now button'...so tempted...

Never heard of Aliexpress before, I wonder if they ship to the UK?

shredmiester
09-29-2016, 10:51 AM

I must admit, each night that passes, I spend far too much time looking at these Chinese sets on eBay...my finger hoovering over the 'buy it now button'...so tempted...

Go for it man! they have both turtles and shredder/foot clan sets available. now they cost. Ask this guy to put them in a box before he ships. You'll not regret it. Also check the feedback. Free shipping worldwide!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-NECA-SDCC-ORIGINAL-10CM-TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-The-Shredder-Action-Figure-Anime-Model/32708833044.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.1.1lswRQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_3_100 57_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058 _9915_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_1006 2_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=aa759eab-97b4-4384-aea9-2884733040fa

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-NECA-SDCC-ORIGINAL-10CM-TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Action-Figure-Anime-Model-PVC-Classic/32708191004.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.11.1lswRQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_3_100 57_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058 _9915_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_1006 2_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=aa759eab-97b4-4384-aea9-2884733040fa

ProdUK
09-29-2016, 12:44 PM

I've ordered a set from aliexpress to the uk (free delivery) and worked out cheaper than eBay. They should be here very soon so I'll upload some pics when I have them.

go_ninja84
09-29-2016, 01:29 PM
everyone who is calling these bootlegs, could i suggest maybe a bunch of people from China went to comic con and bought out most of their sets to sell at a discount to sell more units?

IDK im just speculating but im happy i got my set from comic con

shredmiester
09-29-2016, 01:32 PM
everyone who is calling these bootlegs, could i suggest maybe a bunch of people from China went to comic con and bought out most of their sets to sell at a discount to sell more units?

Not impossible but it says around 3000 sets available :tsmile:

Powder
09-29-2016, 03:28 PM

I hope you're not serious.

EddieNES
09-29-2016, 03:45 PM
They are bootlegs.

Regardless of quality, these aren't verified by Neca. They are made by someone else and have nothing to do with Neca. Everyone's been calling the mirage turtles bootlegs for years, but why not these?

I just think people don't want to admit they have bootlegs over the official release. If these weren't bought at comic con, they are bootlegged turtles. No matter how you slice it.

Just my opinion. I like bootlegs.

mikeyatemypizza
09-29-2016, 04:05 PM
I hope you're not serious.

Made me laugh. Can you imagine. The price of the cab to the airport alone lol.

oldmanwinters
09-29-2016, 09:50 PM
I'll admit, it's really frustrating to see so many bootlegs (quality notwithstanding) being listed on ebay as genuine NECA products. I think NECA should look into some kind of authentication program to protect their brand and help distinguish their stuff from the fakes.

Powder
09-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Do other NECA products get the same post-retail reproductions, or is it just the TMNT stuff?

sdp
09-29-2016, 10:05 PM
Is there a place to buy turtles separate? I only want a Donatello..

shredmiester
09-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Do other NECA products get the same post-retail reproductions, or is it just the TMNT stuff?

Yeah some of their other figures do too and they're pretty horrendous actually.

Is there a place to buy turtles separate? I only want a Donatello..

Ebay

D Piddy 1982
09-30-2016, 01:57 AM
They are bootlegs.

Regardless of quality, these aren't verified by Neca. They are made by someone else and have nothing to do with Neca. Everyone's been calling the mirage turtles bootlegs for years, but why not these?

I just think people don't want to admit they have bootlegs over the official release. If these weren't bought at comic con, they are bootlegged turtles. No matter how you slice it.

Just my opinion. I like bootlegs.

Agree 100%. That's what I've been trying to say, just in a more convoluted way with a lot more words!

I'll admit, it's really frustrating to see so many bootlegs (quality notwithstanding) being listed on ebay as genuine NECA products. I think NECA should look into some kind of authentication program to protect their brand and help distinguish their stuff from the fakes.

This is what I've been thinking. Unfortunately even though this would knock out most bootleggers, a small percentage of them will also try to incorporate the 'authentication' in their unapproved product, and muddy the waters further.

My company makes safety equipment and each product is produced with a bar code. You can visit our website and scan the code and it will tell you date and time of manufacture and what the product should be. Again we have had to do this because of copy products coming in from Asia.

I'd like to think the SDCC sticker is a mark of authentication, but you never know...

Timmetry
09-30-2016, 10:03 AM
I wish they would create bootlegs of the mousers with opening mouths. I have two from when April was first released (and 6 regulars) but I would love to get more at a reasonable price. And by reasonable, I mean cheap. I already have some, I'm not going to spend a lot on more.

Candy Kappa
09-30-2016, 10:39 AM
They are bootlegs.

Regardless of quality, these aren't verified by Neca.

Sets with SDCC stickers should be a part of the 3000 sets. Or do you have any sources stating otherwise?

They are made by someone else and have nothing to do with Neca.
Do you have any actual source that the Arcade sets have been counterfeited by a third party?

Everyone's been calling the mirage turtles bootlegs for years, but why not these?

The Mirage Bootlegs have been verified as bootlegs. Just because one product have a large quantity of imitations, don't mean all of NECA products gets the ecaxt same treatment.

oldmanwinters
09-30-2016, 10:59 AM
My company makes safety equipment and each product is produced with a bar code. You can visit our website and scan the code and it will tell you date and time of manufacture and what the product should be. Again we have had to do this because of copy products coming in from Asia.

I'd like to think the SDCC sticker is a mark of authentication, but you never know...

I was also thinking that online authentication would have to be the way to go. Sure bootleggers would just print fake ones and most people would buy them not knowing the difference, but it would go a long way to serving the collector's market.

Speaking of the SDCC stickers... looks like the bootleggers may have finally gotten around to NECA April O'Neil. I was unaware that she had been bootlegged but I've noticed more Chinese sellers stockpiling cases that don't have the SDCC sticker:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NECA-2009-SDCC-TMNT-TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-APRIL-ONEIL-FIGURE-MOUSERS-/282170059850?hash=item41b2a56c4a:g:rK0AAOSwvzRXynG l&_trksid=p2349526.m3874.l7936

EddieNES
09-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Sets with SDCC stickers should be a part of the 3000 sets. Or do you have any sources stating otherwise?

Do you have any actual source that the Arcade sets have been counterfeited by a third party?

The Mirage Bootlegs have been verified as bootlegs. Just because one product have a large quantity of imitations, don't mean all of NECA products gets the ecaxt same treatment.

I don't need sources, I have common sense.

But if you want to believe a bunch of dudes from China went to the con and stocked up, go ahead. I won't lose sleep over it.

Candy Kappa
09-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Basically, you're basing your opinions on nothing then. Good talk...

EddieNES
09-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Maybe this will settle it.

Bootlegs by definition. No authorization.

Cry about it.

EddieNES
09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Good talk.

Candy Kappa
09-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Oh you got be champ. I too contacted Randy about bootlegs.

So bootlegs as in unauthorized sale of genuine goods exists, which was never really any disputes about. Still no proof of "made by someone else" as you claimed, which would be reproductions like what happened with the Mirage figures.

TMNachoT
09-30-2016, 12:37 PM
What if those sets are original figures stolen from the factory?

Candy Kappa
09-30-2016, 12:51 PM
What if those sets are original figures stolen from the factory?

"Bootleg" is a very big and loose term nowadays, from illegal destribution and sale of any goods to counterfeit items. But, when it comes to toys and action figures, it's universally common that bootleg refers to counterfeits/recasts/fake/imitations. Which the NECA Mirage Tube bootlegs are, they are counterfeits. And so goes for the Revoltech Bootlegs, they are cheap imitations..

It still falls under the definition of "Bootleg".

D Piddy 1982
09-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Also I would strongly believe that NECA ordered or made or 'whatever' 3,000 sets. These sets would have been delivered to NECA stores or warehouse. Logged onto the NECA system as stock. Shipped out to SDCC & they would have hoped to shift all 3,000 sets in order to make profit.

The above is making me wonder what some people are trying to claim or imply. NECA wouldn't let some of their 3,000 stock (which they invested good money into) just go missing, or go out a side door in the factory. They would expect to receive 3,000 pieces because that's what they ordered. It would flag up straight away if any stock was missing. This is business, not a hobby for NECA.

Which is what makes my spider sense tingle when I see sets for sale from China. Why would a set from San Diego find itself all the way back over in China only to try to be sold on again for hardly any profit?

Redemption
09-30-2016, 01:35 PM
As I suspected from the start. Bootlegs are already out there and I bet there will be differences in quality and packaging.

We will want to know the differences especially the people who own genuine neca. I know I will.

mikeyatemypizza
09-30-2016, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Redemption;1628672]As I suspected from the start. Bootlegs are already out there and I bet there will be differences in quality and packaging.

All this is making me want to order some bootlegs.

Darxide
09-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Speaking of the SDCC stickers... looks like the bootleggers may have finally gotten around to NECA April O'Neil. I was unaware that she had been bootlegged but I've noticed more Chinese sellers stockpiling cases that don't have the SDCC sticker:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NECA-2009-SDCC-TMNT-TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-APRIL-ONEIL-FIGURE-MOUSERS-/282170059850?hash=item41b2a56c4a:g:rK0AAOSwvzRXynG l&_trksid=p2349526.m3874.l7936

These are definitely new. There are multiple sellers (China and US) That have suddenly started selling them for ~$30 and they have tons of them. I recently just bought a set of each of the red and colored mask tube turtles along with an April from this exact link you posted...All three transactions were canceled by ebay as fraudulent. I don't know how this specific seller managed to keep it posted but buyer beware. The turtles sellers were removed from ebay completely. I did just Purchase another April from one of these US Sellers who has a good reputation so I'll post up pictures when it arrives.

I unfortunately was very late to the NECA line (and now Mondo) and missed out completely, so now I'm left with no choice but to buy the Bootlegs. I just can't bring myself to spend $400 to $800 on figures that were $12 and clearanced in some places as low as $6. I kind of wish NECA would do a re-issue like the Revoltech figures are getting.

Darxide
09-30-2016, 05:13 PM
Also, am I the only one dying for the NYCC bootlegs to rollout??? I'm probably going to pay the scalper prices up front but the bootlegs will definitely follow.

inaheap
10-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Also, am I the only one dying for the NYCC bootlegs to rollout??? I'm probably going to pay the scalper prices up front but the bootlegs will definitely follow.

Nope. Kinda hoping to army build the foot this way.