PDA

View Full Version : Well now....

Coola Yagami
09-27-2016, 11:35 PM
So after FINALLY seeing Out of the Shadows... I dare say it wasn't THAT bad. Mostly because it felt like it was the TURTLES' movie, not April's with Turtles on the side. We got to see them more often and they really dug more into their personalities. Also good to see Leo be a bit of jerk so he's not so flawless all the time. Mikey was more bearable since he wasn't perving over April anymore, though he did fall victim to being the dumb one again. "wait... we're doing something?"

I knew Bebop and Rocksteady were gonna nail it.

Still don't like Casey being a cop. Still don't like the turtlemobile with the giant arms swinging nunchucks and swords around.... Still don't like Krang... the voice just didn't resonate with me, and they should have kept the android looking closer to the cartoon like in the Super Bowl tv commercial. The Turtles only fought Bebop and Rocksteady once and they were defeated by Casey.... and then April basically took Karai out by bashing a laptop or something into her....

The city thanking and acknowledging the turtles was just.... I don't know... that's just not them. Yeah sure, having the cops with them rather than against them makes stopping the bad guys easier.... but the turtles have always been able to save the day from the shadows before. I know there was at least one time the Turtles got a standing ovation from the city in the old cartoon, but it just looks so out of place in live action taking place 'in the real world'. Yeah... no. The people in New York are not just gonna suddenly let the Turtles live normal lives among them without gawking at them and whatnot.

Leo did more martial arts when doing all his katas while Raph was arguing with him than everyone else during the whole movie. Well... to be fair, the Foot Ninja did some sweet moves though. However, they did a lot of stealth and sneaking around during the police station scene, so that's cool.

Still won't buy it. Far from being the best TMNT movie, but I will admit, I liked it more than I thought I would and it's definitely way better than the first.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-27-2016, 11:37 PM
I'm probably in the minority when I say I really enjoyed it and there was so much that put a smile on my face. B&R were my favourite part hands down.

Overall, I like it alot more than 2014, but I enjoyed that too, not the best, but still enjoyable.

Powder
09-27-2016, 11:50 PM
Why didn't you use one of the many other threads for reviews/opinions?

CyberCubed
09-28-2016, 12:00 AM
Its better than the first. But had the first never existed, I don't know if we'd have something really bad to compare it with.

Coola Yagami
09-28-2016, 12:05 AM
Well if the first didn't exist, the movie would have fared worse due to the horrible turtle designs. As a sequel, it's not so bad because we're already past the initial shock and disgust from the previous film and had to swallow the fact that if there was a sequel, we'd be stuck with those designs.

If this was the only movie without a prequel, there would be no first movie to desensitize us to those designs and we would have been complaining about turtle nostrils and Donnie running around with a SNES controller strapped to his wrist.

IndigoErth
09-28-2016, 12:11 AM
The city thanking and acknowledging the turtles was just.... I don't know... that's just not them. Yeah sure, having the cops with them rather than against them makes stopping the bad guys easier.... but the turtles have always been able to save the day from the shadows before. I know there was at least one time the Turtles got a standing ovation from the city in the old cartoon, but it just looks so out of place in live action taking place 'in the real world'. Yeah... no. The people in New York are not just gonna suddenly let the Turtles live normal lives among them without gawking at them and whatnot.
To be fair, it was only the police from that police station, only thanking on behalf of the city, and in a location that the rest of the city would not be privy to their little 'ceremony' at that hour and are still entirely clueless. Having seen that's all that scene was I can deal with it. (Plus...were there somehow more films it could be interesting to see if all of the cops keep their mouths shut, or if someone ever risks outing them.)

If this had been films capable of having a lengthy series of them and IF the Turtles ended up known to the city, I'd rather it be very gradual over multiple films. Preferably start off as an urban legend that eventually proves to be real. I don't mind the idea if seeing them gain hard won acceptance (kinda heart warming to me to think of them sort of getting there), but it's gotta be won very slowly and not fully realized until the end of a series of films. (And then they find they have celebrity-like problems because they stick out like a sore thumb and not every human is kind and accepting. Welcome, Turtles, life still sucks but partly in a whole new way. lol)

I did like the Turtles so much better in this one. Yeah, Leo does come across kind of harsh, trying to nip that whole idea in the bud, but I get that he had his motivations (and very likely fears over it and it seems to bother him for a while in the film) and they'd have been all better off to actually just casually discuss the whole concept and their thoughts/perspectives on it, including him.

Well if the first didn't exist, the movie would have fared worse due to the horrible turtle designs. As a sequel, it's not so bad because we're already past the initial shock and disgust from the previous film and had to swallow the fact that if there was a sequel, we'd be stuck with those designs.

If this was the only movie without a prequel, there would be no first movie to desensitize us to those designs and we would have been complaining about turtle nostrils and Donnie running around with a SNES controller strapped to his wrist.
While true about the designs and that would no doubt take a while to get over either way, at least if they started here with this one a second after it might have fared a little better; unlike this one that partly was passed over thanks to the mistakes/writing of the first.

Coola Yagami
09-28-2016, 12:14 AM
To be fair, it was only the police from that police station, only thanking on behalf of the city, and in a location that the rest of the city would not be privy to their little 'ceremony' at that hour and are still entirely clueless. Having seen that's all that scene was I can deal with it. (Plus...were there somehow more films it could be interesting to see if all of the cops keep their mouths shut, or if someone ever risks outing them.)

If this had been films capable of having a lengthy series of them and IF the Turtles ended up known to the city, I'd rather it be very gradual over multiple films. Preferably start off as an urban legend that eventually proves to be real. I don't mind the idea if seeing them gain hard won acceptance (kinda heart warming to me to think of them sort of getting there), but it's gotta be won very slowly and not fully realized until the end of a series of films. (And then they find they have celebrity-like problems because they stick out like a sore thumb and not every human is kind and accepting. Welcome, Turtles, life still sucks but partly in a whole new way. lol)

I did like the Turtles so much better in this one. Yeah, Leo does come across kind of harsh, trying to nip that whole idea in the bud, but I get that he had his motivations (and very likely fears over it and it seems to bother him for a while in the film) and they'd have been all better off to actually just casually discuss the whole concept and their thoughts/perspectives on it, including him.

"There's only one opinion that matters.... mine" total dick move, but served the character well, and he did finally mellow at the end.

IndigoErth
09-28-2016, 12:41 AM
"There's only one opinion that matters.... mine" total dick move, but served the character well, and he did finally mellow at the end.
Yeah, it was. And not saying that it wasn't, or that he wasn't. Makes him all the more real; everyone has their moments. But just been trying to pick his brain a bit more over it lately after finally getting a second viewing.

I'm sort of impressed that they got a lot more depth to these guys this time, after treating them a lot like hallow sentient props last time. The film doesn't really directly address it much, but the implications of that mutagen that could turn them human and fracture the team and family... which comes up shortly (and I assume purposely) after that scene where Splinter tells a bummed out Leo if he keeps the team together they will always succeed. Add mutagen revelation, all while Leo is already unhappy over the quality of teamwork they're pulling off, and now this mutagen thing threatens to tear them apart, make him lose his footing with trying to lead the team and keep control of it and keep the family together and safe... Considering it all collectively.... he was being jerky, but I think reasonable to assume that quietly on the inside he was kind of freaking out. It's a threat to his sense of control and security for his family that he really has zero control over.

(Sorry, been bugging to discuss this kind of junk, but there's been no where to actually do so.)

Although talk about hypocritical Raph. Call Leo out on trying to have the only say... then smash the vial without asking anyone. What, Mikey is suddenly okay with it if Raph says no?

Coola Yagami
09-28-2016, 07:32 AM
Well at that time, all the turtles had that look of doubt. None of them was really stepping up to be human. I kinda think even Mike would only dare try it if someone else tried it first. The only problem I saw is that if they turned human they probably wouldn't be ****in huge powerhouses anymore (unless they do turn into roided out humans) and they would have to get used to their new bodies, lack of shell, etc and at the time there was really no time to waste messing around.

This isn't a complaint for this movie in general but for any movie where monsters want to fit into society. They never stop to think that if they did fit in they'd now have to worry about getting jobs, paying rent, health care, hell, having social security numbers, etc. Better to live on the sewers and skip all that noise.

Walkabout
09-28-2016, 07:42 AM
TMNT fan since 89, still haven't seen either Bay movie.

Transformers fan since say 86...saw the Bayformers movies- I'm not doing that to myself again.

Calling them films is an insult.

Sabacooza
09-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Although talk about hypocritical Raph. Call Leo out on trying to have the only say... then smash the vial without asking anyone. What, Mikey is suddenly okay with it if Raph says no? They all had a chance to speak up and say something seeing as how they were all standing there for about a minute but didn't so apparently they were all in agreement so I don't know where this whole Raph being a hypocrite comes from. I guess it could've been handled better like most stuff in this movie but I suppose they wanted to build up suspense. If we knew they all agreed not to use it, there would be no suspense.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-28-2016, 09:07 AM
What did you think about the lack of fight scenes compared to the first one and how they handled Shredder and Karai?

IndigoErth
09-28-2016, 08:28 PM
This isn't a complaint for this movie in general but for any movie where monsters want to fit into society. They never stop to think that if they did fit in they'd now have to worry about getting jobs, paying rent, health care, hell, having social security numbers, etc. Better to live on the sewers and skip all that noise.
Yeah, it bugs me most that Donnie so thoughtlessly just came into contact with the stuff and was excited to do it without studying it further. They don't even know if enough of the stuff even existed, nor if "one sip" is actually going to do anything other than make you ill - not the same as B & R being injected with it...

And just how clumsy would they become for a while with the sudden change in center of gravity. Even if they didn't lose their strength and skills, it would surely be hurt for a while. Try to kick Shredder in the face and...you miss and fall on your own instead.

They're better off staying who they are (and was proud of my fave that he wanted to) and just build on their growing alliances, etc. At least with friends in the police force that might be some contacts that could help them out in some ways, not just with battling bad guys and fighting crime.

Honestly, if there was a third... I'd like to see "April" go in vacation and a cop friend who works as their main contact with that police unit step in to be their gal pal for a bit.

Coola Yagami
09-29-2016, 10:02 PM
What did you think about the lack of fight scenes compared to the first one and how they handled Shredder and Karai?

Honestly, there was so much stuff going on that it's one of those things that you don't really notice until after watching the movie. I guess the most ninja moves and whatnot came when they fought Krang at the end. The fight with Bebop and Rocksteady was the usual tackling and overpowering the enemy stuff. Again, I noticed that Leo did more martial arts moves and poses when he was ignoring Raph during his katas than in actual battle.

Shredder was aight, it's just dude.... he just went along with Krang and actually trusted him??? BS! Even 80's Shredder was planning on just using Krang and betraying him first chance he got. Once Shredder was beamed back to Earth, his orders to the Foot should have been like 'we'll play along.... for now, but the moment the portal is open, we kill the creature and take all his technology for the Foot'. That's the worst part... that he actually trusted Krang and was actually surprised that he was betrayed without setting up a betrayal of his own. He should have seen it coming a mile away and make preparations for it....

Karai was.... ok. But again... they left her for Casey and April to take down where she should have in all honestly killed them both 5 times before they could hit the floor. And of course Megan Fox got to land the last hit on her. Ugh...

Jephael
10-02-2016, 06:51 PM
I really like your critique on the film, Coola. Too many people are too far off in one side of the spectrum. They either hate it with a passion or put on a damn pedestal.