PDA

View Full Version : Character Justice

Powder
09-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Who is the one character you feel IDW nailed better than any other? Whether it be because they just feel right, are an improvement on previous versions, have a creative new origin or design, etc.

It would seem most are in agreement that the turtles, Splinter, & Shredder all have been handled properly (barring the occasional exception), that the re-incarnation angle works well, so we're gonna leave them out of the "poll", if you will. Also excluded are new characters, exclusive to the IDW-verse, like Old Hob.

For me, it's Baxter Stockman. I feel like, no matter which iteration is your favorite, they're giving you something to appreciate. He's sharp, cunning, evil, somewhat of an independent entity rather than a lackey for the Shredder, has both ties to robots & flies without having to become either of the two. You get the best of everything in him. & the design is on point too, a an homage to Mirage, without any meek or mad scientist vibes. I feel he's absolutely perfect, the best Stockman of them all.

Who's your choice? Other than TMNT/Splinter/Shredder, that is.

CyberCubed
09-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Hun, Bebop/Rocksteady, probably Slash too.

I really like the idea of Hun being Casey's father, and its kind of amazing how much he's been developed since we first met him way back in issue #1 and 2 of the entire series back in 2011. Right now I'm not sure where they plan to take him, but he's been handled well.

IDW Bebop/Rocksteady are pretty fun in general. They're basically what I imagined new more competent versions of them being. They're still pretty stupid and sometimes comical (especially when other writers outside of Tom Waltz write them), but they're still more true to their original incarnations than say...Nick's Bebop and Rocksteady.

Slash has also received a lot of development since the beginning of the series. While I think Archie Slash is still my favorite due to how crazy he was, IDW did do Slash pretty well.

I think after we see more of him, IDW's Leatherhead is going to be pretty up there too. Sadly some others like Karai feel underdeveloped in IDW, oddly enough.

PApagreg
09-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Casey Jones, while still not the sharpest tool in the shed he isn't a moron like 4kids and he has more character than "other side of the love triangle" Nick version he actually feels like a 3 dimensional character with emotional vulnerabilities and ambitions.

Utrommaniac
09-30-2016, 01:42 AM
This seems like the thread to talk about this realization I had about Krang.

Look at previous versions of him and his character type.
OT Krang, 2003 Ch'rell, and even the PD Krang.
They all share a very distinct "I don't need anyone! F*** having friends and a family! I'm an independent brain who don't need nobody! Power is everything!" mentality. IDW Krang doesn't have this mentality. Well...the "power is everything" mentality, but the rest is an exception.

He introduces the Utroms as his family, before we even had a clue of what happened on Utrominion. His relationship with his father was terrible, but he still loves him, and that is painful considering all that has happened. I call to question the extent his closeness to Colonel Ch'rell - who already has a vastly different character from the original character and he's not even conscious. He whose reaction to Krang being imprisoned concerns his sister so deeply that she wants to have a mass meeting to discuss how to break it to him. I'd say Krang was probably close to Ma'riell because of his relationship with Ch'rell. That and because she was his Chief Scientific Advisor - which is a pretty important job.
Even Stockman knows Krang loves his people, and he exploited that in hopes of dragging him down. Stockman, who seems to have taken up some of Krang's traits of total independence from companionship. Krang goes into territory that no other Krang has before, and that's cutting his selfishness down a little bit.

Now, why do I call this justice? Mostly because the "I don't care about friends" mentality is boring for me. Sure, OT Krang and Ch'rell pull it off pretty well, and OT Krang ultimately doesn't live up to it by the later seasons. He probably would call Shredder his friend after he gave some his life force to him.

It's a pretty welcome trait for this particular story. It wouldn't work in the slightest for other versions, but it does here.

Technogeek29
09-30-2016, 01:52 AM
Hmm going for me I would have to say Rat King, usually I don't really care about Rat King and beyond finding him cool I don't think about him. But this version ironically hasn't done anything and I can't help but wonder, "what does he want?"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Man, it's a tough choice.

I liked 4Kids Baxter just fine, and Mirage Karai is more interesting, so not those two.

General Krang is amazing. Bebop and Rocksteady are amazing. And Slash is great.

If I had to choose between those three, I'd say Bebop and Rocksteady. They killed Donatello with a sledgehammer... 'nuff said.

Editor's Note Comics
09-30-2016, 10:03 AM
I like IDW expanding on the Pantheon. I think Mirage only had that idea for one issue, and it's an interesting concept.

Kingoji
09-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Bop'n'Rock, yo.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-30-2016, 10:18 AM
I like IDW expanding on the Pantheon. I think Mirage only had that idea for one issue, and it's an interesting concept.

Mirage Pantheon was not the same thing. Entirely different concept, just the same name.

PApagreg
09-30-2016, 10:31 AM
This seems like the thread to talk about this realization I had about Krang.

Look at previous versions of him and his character type.
OT Krang, 2003 Ch'rell, and even the PD Krang.
They all share a very distinct "I don't need anyone! F*** having friends and a family! I'm an independent brain who don't need nobody! Power is everything!" mentality. IDW Krang doesn't have this mentality. Well...the "power is everything" mentality, but the rest is an exception.

He introduces the Utroms as his family, before we even had a clue of what happened on Utrominion. His relationship with his father was terrible, but he still loves him, and that is painful considering all that has happened. I call to question the extent his closeness to Colonel Ch'rell - who already has a vastly different character from the original character and he's not even conscious. He whose reaction to Krang being imprisoned concerns his sister so deeply that she wants to have a mass meeting to discuss how to break it to him. I'd say Krang was probably close to Ma'riell because of his relationship with Ch'rell. That and because she was his Chief Scientific Advisor - which is a pretty important job.
Even Stockman knows Krang loves his people, and he exploited that in hopes of dragging him down. Stockman, who seems to have taken up some of Krang's traits of total independence from companionship. Krang goes into territory that no other Krang has before, and that's cutting his selfishness down a little bit.

Now, why do I call this justice? Mostly because the "I don't care about friends" mentality is boring for me. Sure, OT Krang and Ch'rell pull it off pretty well, and OT Krang ultimately doesn't live up to it by the later seasons. He probably would call Shredder his friend after he gave some his life force to him.

It's a pretty welcome trait for this particular story. It wouldn't work in the slightest for other versions, but it does here.

You would love the Phantom Troupe

CyberCubed
09-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Mirage Pantheon was not the same thing. Entirely different concept, just the same name.

Technically it was a similar concept, especially with Rat King part of both. Just that in typical Mirage fashion, it was a wasted concept since we only saw it for one issue and never again. A bunch of Gods/higher beings or whatever who can interact with the mortal realm?

spookycookies
09-30-2016, 04:47 PM
I have to say the IDW version of Shredder is beyond fantastic. I would read a comic just about him.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Technically it was a similar concept, especially with Rat King part of both. Just that in typical Mirage fashion, it was a wasted concept since we only saw it for one issue and never again. A bunch of Gods/higher beings or whatever who can interact with the mortal realm?

They were basically IIRC the god of each major type of animal. That's the only reason Rat King was in it.

I thought it was beyond stupid.

dragonside
10-01-2016, 02:57 PM
B & R . they are literally the best versions.

ToTheNines
10-01-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I never liked Fugitoid. But I think IDW made him an awesome character with a poignant back story, with out being too melodramatic. David Tennant made Nick Fugitoid so loveable though... can't pick my favorite version between those two.

Also, IDW Slash is probably my favorite version of him.

darthsmozers
10-01-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I never liked Fugitoid. But I think IDW made him an awesome character with a poignant back story, with out being too melodramatic. David Tennant made Nick Fugitoid so loveable though... can't pick my favorite version between those two.

Also, IDW Slash is probably my favorite version of him.

My favorite version of Fugitoid is the Playmates toy :-)

The Happy One
10-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Everyone :lol:

Okay no...Baxter Stockman is one of my favorite villians and I love that he's such a worthy opponent- if you will. He's taken so seriously and he's a real threat, but has this cockiness to him and this charm. I just love him.

CyberCubed
10-01-2016, 04:37 PM

I like the idea of Fugitoid being a Neutrino and having a family, rather than just some old coot living in the wilderness like he usually is.

Utrommaniac
10-01-2016, 04:50 PM
It really does build up his sense of morality with Krang and the Utroms that way. That way, he knows what it's like to lose everything that was precious to him and have his world ransacked in pursuit of justice for a travesty (remember, there were Neutrinos in the rebellion on Utrominion). But Honeycutt, however, doesn't have Krang's militarization and aggression. He has a greater sense of reason and mercy. He pulls himself together to save his own people, and goes another step further to protect the Utroms from Stockman.

So yeah. IDW Fugitoid is the best one for sure. He has the strongest sense of morality and responsibility.

MikeandRaph87
10-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Man, it's a tough choice.

I liked 4Kids Baxter just fine.

General Krang is amazing. Bebop and Rocksteady are amazing. And Slash is great.

If I had to choose between those three, I'd say Bebop and Rocksteady. They killed Donatello with a sledgehammer... 'nuff said.

Agreed on almost all statements except Archie Slash is still my favorite portrayal of Slash.

I like the fact that 64 issues in and Baxter has yet to turn into anything.

I would add, even though we have only seen a little of thrm I quite enjoyed The Neutrinos as IDW portrayed them.

Harukuro
10-06-2016, 08:18 AM
I personally feel like the IDW comics did an amazing job of making Angel part of the TMNT family. While her appearances in the 2003 cartoon showed that she was indeed part of the extended family, she was really only in the background and did not really actively contribute to many stories. Granted this is better than her original version in the Image comics, where I can't even find an image of her and her character description is basically only two sentences.

But in the IDW comics Angel is her own character, with her own motivations, established important relationships with different characters, and had her own character arc. She clearly has a place on the team, and I love seeing her as Nobody.

I also love how Michelangelo has been written in these comics; he is treated with a lot more respect than most other TMNT writers, who usually just see him as the "comic relief", have done with the character. Plus, showing that Mikey's empathetic voice has value alongside the rest of his brothers is also refreshing to see (I loved it when he spoke his mind in issue #61) and I hope the writers to continue to showcase this aspect of Mikey's character.

And finally, I think the IDW comics did a great job with Splinter. He really subverts the expectations that a lot of people have about the character, which is that he is perfect and can do no wrong. In these comics, especially the most recent arc, Splinter is making a lot of shocking and terrible decisions, showing that he is only one person and one person alone cannot be right all the time.

myconius
10-06-2016, 08:29 AM
In these comics, especially the most recent arc, Splinter is making a lot of shocking and terrible decisions, showing that he is only one person and one person alone cannot be right all the time.

yeah, i really feel like Splinter (Hamato Yoshi) has really been given so many new layers and depth to his character.
and one thing i really love is how Tang Shen finally gets a presence the likes we've never really seen before. :)

ProphetofGanja
10-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Since the cartoon was what I was most familiar with before this comic series I have to go with Shredder and Bebop and Rocksteady, it's a tie. They are all so much more competent and interesting than they were portrayed in the cartoon

ProphetofGanja
10-06-2016, 10:52 AM
I personally feel like the IDW comics did an amazing job of making Angel part of the TMNT family. While her appearances in the 2003 cartoon showed that she was indeed part of the extended family, she was really only in the background and did not really actively contribute to many stories. Granted this is better than her original version in the Image comics, where I can't even find an image of her and her character description is basically only two sentences.

But in the IDW comics Angel is her own character, with her own motivations, established important relationships with different characters, and had her own character arc. She clearly has a place on the team, and I love seeing her as Nobody.

I also love how Michelangelo has been written in these comics; he is treated with a lot more respect than most other TMNT writers, who usually just see him as the "comic relief", have done with the character. Plus, showing that Mikey's empathetic voice has value alongside the rest of his brothers is also refreshing to see (I loved it when he spoke his mind in issue #61) and I hope the writers to continue to showcase this aspect of Mikey's character.

And finally, I think the IDW comics did a great job with Splinter. He really subverts the expectations that a lot of people have about the character, which is that he is perfect and can do no wrong. In these comics, especially the most recent arc, Splinter is making a lot of shocking and terrible decisions, showing that he is only one person and one person alone cannot be right all the time.

Ditto on all three points

You know it'd be easier to ask us which old character we feel like IDW HASN'T done a great job with, and even in that case I feel like it's more like asking "which old character has IDW not done well YET"

CyberCubed
10-06-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm still waiting to see how IDW handles Rahzar (or Tokka).

Oddly enough Rahzar's one of the few "big" mutant characters we haven't seen yet. He would be nice in Hob's gang.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-06-2016, 11:54 AM

Oddly enough Rahzar's one of the few "big" mutant characters we haven't seen yet. He would be nice in Hob's gang.

We really do need Rahzar in IDW. Second the motion!

myconius
10-06-2016, 01:20 PM

i'm really curious to see Rahzar and Tokka as well.

though now that Orohu Saki has been beheaded, i really REALLY want to see (Worm) Shredder and the Shredder Clones!!!!! :D

those are the characters i'd love to see done by IDW the MOST!!!

CyberCubed
10-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Technically IDW has already included almost every major TMNT character from past universes. That's why I said Rahzar (or Tokka), are the only ones absent so far. There's also Armaggon, but he might be hard to use with Bludgeon around.

Other than that I can't think of anyone else too important. They also don't want to use Nick characters for whatever reason so I doubt we'll see the likes of Fishface or Tiger Claw.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Technically IDW has already included almost every major TMNT character from past universes. That's why I said Rahzar (or Tokka), are the only ones absent so far. There's also Armaggon, but he might be hard to use with Bludgeon around.

Other than that I can't think of anyone else too important. They also don't want to use Nick characters for whatever reason so I doubt we'll see the likes of Fishface or Tiger Claw.

The mutant angler fish (whatever the name is... he never even got past concept art, so I don't care) is the closest we came to Fishface.

And Old Hob is aces, way better than Tiger Claw. Old Hob doesn't need to be a tiger to be a badass.

But I really really really want Rahzar. Not Tokka, he never had any real characterization anyway besides "mamma." Just gimme Rahzar. (And Pimiko?)

Utrommaniac
10-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Rahzar in the Mutanimals should be interesting, considering Hob doesn't like dogs. And with good reason, since one attacked him after he was kicked out into the streets.

myconius
10-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Rahzar in the Mutanimals should be interesting, considering Hob doesn't like dogs. And with good reason, since one attacked him after he was kicked out into the streets.

i just can't image either tokka or rahzar not lackys of the foot clan.

but who knows if we'll ever see them or just how they'd be used?

CyberCubed
10-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Heh, IDW could also introduce Chrome Dome. Have Metalhead and Chrome Dome fight each other in a robot battle royale.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-06-2016, 06:42 PM

Heh, IDW could also introduce Chrome Dome. Have Metalhead and Chrome Dome fight each other in a robot battle royale.

IDW has to introduce characters who are more than one-shot action figure / single episode foes. Chrome Dome has the most limited potential. He's literally just a robot Shredder... what's the point other than nostalgia?

Rahzar, on the other hand, has tons of potential.

Joey Kamikaze
10-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Just for the mythos as a whole, I'd think of IDW as the definitive version of the TMNT thus far. I know that might tweak some Mirage purists, but... IDW is the result of 30 years of Turtles evolution across multimedia up to now. It's a melting pot of everything that came before and some great new additions. I grew up with Mirage and Archie and love them both in their ways, but IDW really has redefined and modernized TMNT same as happened with decades-old characters like Batman and the X-Men in the 80's and 90's. If you ever wanted to know what the golden age of TMNT stories would look like... it's this book. Or well, thanks to TMNTU now, these books. :D

In answer to the question... Bebop and Rocksteady, with Shredder a close second and so many characters fighting for third. But B&R languished forgotten outside nostalgia since the Fred Wolf and Archie era until a couple years ago, and neither old universe allowed the pair's real destructive potential to be realized like IDW has. What's more, IDW has managed to keep them lovable in their too-stupid-to-live-if-they-weren't-practically-invulnerable sort of way.

And Shredder... this is by far the most interesting and competent version of Oroku Saki the mythos has yet seen. Mirage Shredder goes out like a bitch in the first issue. Movie Shredder keeps getting squished. Fred Wolf Shredder... hahaha. Archie Shredder is hit and miss. 2k3 Shredder is... an alien, not actually Shredder. I hope IDW Shredder stays dead a good long time, but damn did he make the book interesting while he was alive.

Powder
10-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Granted this is better than her original version in the Image comics, where I can't even find an image of her and her character description is basically only two sentences.

Her original version is in the Mirage comics. Image's run was a continuation of those, but during it's short time, she played only a small part (with good reason as there was a lot of other interesting stuff going on between the turtles' dynamic & their new foes). In Mirage as a whole she has plenty of involvement & family ties. Probably less frequent screen-time than IDW, but certainly on par with respect to the role's significance & her emotional connection to the boys. It's just spread out more, where IDW & Nick have her there almost all the time.

Harukuro
10-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Her original version is in the Mirage comics. Image's run was a continuation of those, but during it's short time, she played only a small part (with good reason as there was a lot of other interesting stuff going on between the turtles' dynamic & their new foes). In Mirage as a whole she has plenty of involvement & family ties. Probably less frequent screen-time than IDW, but certainly on par with respect to the role's significance & her emotional connection to the boys. It's just spread out more, where IDW & Nick have her there almost all the time.

No offence, but do you have a source for that? Because this is the first I've heard that Angel was in the Mirage comics. From what I've read, she was originally a Foot ninja who worked for Pimiko in the Image comics. Also, she has not been in the Nick cartoon, unless that is a new development. I think you've gotten her confused with someone else?

Just for the mythos as a whole, I'd think of IDW as the definitive version of the TMNT thus far. I know that might tweak some Mirage purists, but... IDW is the result of 30 years of Turtles evolution across multimedia up to now. It's a melting pot of everything that came before and some great new additions. I grew up with Mirage and Archie and love them both in their ways, but IDW really has redefined and modernized TMNT same as happened with decades-old characters like Batman and the X-Men in the 80's and 90's. If you ever wanted to know what the golden age of TMNT stories would look like... it's this book. Or well, thanks to TMNTU now, these books. :D

I agree with all of this. The IDW comics have combined several different elements from all of the previous incarnations of TMNT and have created something entirely new and wonderful from them. They also do not insult or belittle these old characters or ideas, but rather build upon them and respect them for what they were and what they meant to their readers/viewers. It really is my favourite version of TMNT. :tgrin:

Powder
10-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Wow, I'm a moron. I misread "Angel" as April. Sorry about that!

Harukuro
10-07-2016, 06:36 AM
Wow, I'm a moron. I misread "Angel" as April. Sorry about that!

It's OK. No harm done. :tsmile:

CyberCubed
10-07-2016, 11:48 AM
No offence, but do you have a source for that? Because this is the first I've heard that Angel was in the Mirage comics. From what I've read, she was originally a Foot ninja who worked for Pimiko in the Image comics. Also, she has not been in the Nick cartoon, unless that is a new development. I think you've gotten her confused with someone else:

Angel was created for the 2k3 cartoon. She wasn't in any previous series. If there is a character named "Angel" in any other comic its a different character.