PDA

View Full Version : Do you still wear watches? Is there any point for a watch nowadays?

CyberCubed
10-01-2016, 01:31 AM
I just came to the realization that I've never worn a watch in my entire life. And that's because by the time I became a teenager I had a cell phone, and your cell phone already tells you the time.

So what is the point of a watch in today's day and age? Everyone owns a cell phone. You can just look at your phone for the time. Not only are most watches expensive, they do nothing but sit on your wrist all day.

Do you people still wear watches? Is there any point? Or is it just a fashion statement nowadays?

ssjup81
10-01-2016, 02:49 AM
Haven't worn a watch in years. Used to always mess up the band on it. The last watch I had, my father had it and left it at his friend's house. Neither of us ever visited again, though for reasons. That aside, I wouldn't mind a new watch though. Easier than digging through my bag to take out my phone to check the time. At least you can't accidentally drop your watch.

Surprisingly, here in Japan, I still notice people using watches despite having cell phones, especially businessmen.

TheBlueTurtle1
10-01-2016, 03:04 AM
I still do. I love the look of them. Worn them my whole life, don't intend on stopping now.

joefsas
10-01-2016, 03:20 AM
I've got a nice expensive one that my wife got me to wear on our wedding day.
I wear it when I have to dress up smart and that's about it.

Prowler
10-01-2016, 03:35 AM
No. Haven't worn one in like 6 years.

Candy Kappa
10-01-2016, 04:18 AM
Last time I've used s watch must have been like 10-15 years ago.

Powder
10-01-2016, 05:33 AM
Never been a watch guy. I do like wrist wear, though. I rock clear beads these days.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-01-2016, 09:04 AM
I wear a watch all day every day.

BubblyShell22
10-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Nope. I have no interest in wearing watches.

IndigoErth
10-01-2016, 11:36 AM
I've never worn them much, with the thin wrists that I have I've never found wearing stuff on them to be all that comfortable. I don't mind watches as a thing and I think they can still easily have their place as jewelry even if not often necessary as a tool.

CyberCubed
10-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I guess the only people who wear watches nowadays are old fogey's who were already adults before cell phones were invented and are used to it, or business tycoons who sport $1000 watches to show off how rich they are.

TigerClaw
10-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I wear my Pebble Smartwatch all the time.

mrmaczaps
10-01-2016, 11:44 AM
I used to wear watches off and on through high school and a few years after that... Haven't seriously worn one for about 10 years now until the other day when I got a Fitbit as a gift... A little odd having it on my wrist but not bad.

Andrew NDB
10-01-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm always wearing thr latest huge Fossil watch.

plastroncafe
10-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Of people who don't wear watches, do you carry an alternative time piece with you?
(Smartphone, iPod, pocket watch, etc.)

Of those who do wear a watch, on which wrist do you wear it?

TheSkeletonMan939
10-01-2016, 11:51 AM
On the left.

Jester
10-01-2016, 12:23 PM
I wear a watch. I went about a month with just my phone as a time piece, but the old habit of looking to my left wrist was too great and I gave in and replaced my watch not long ago.

TigerClaw
10-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Of people who don't wear watches, do you carry an alternative time piece with you?

On the left.

Krutch
10-01-2016, 12:53 PM
I wear a Fossil watch. I love, the ladies love it 8)

CyberCubed
10-01-2016, 01:05 PM
What's a fossil watch? Pics?

ssjup81
10-01-2016, 01:08 PM
I guess the only people who wear watches nowadays are old fogey's who were already adults before cell phones were invented and are used to it, or business tycoons who sport $1000 watches to show off how rich they are.Who you calling old? I'm just pushing 35 here. :P

I still wish I owned a watch again. Still hate the fact that my watch from years ago was accidentally left at my father's friend's disgusting place, which is why neither of us ever went back to get it. I let my father borrow the watch. Anyway, his last visit there, he said he saw a rat, and never went back there again. Don't blame him.

A friend of mine here, he doesn't use a wristwatch, and he does have a cell phone, my age, but he does have a pocket watch, which I think is totally cool.

Anywho, I wore watches in elementary school, middle school, and high school.

Edit: lol Found an old photo of me...wearing a watch. lol When I was a kid, I wore the watch on whatever wrist I wanted. When a little older, I learned how to wear one properly and on my left wrist, since I was right-handed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/ssjup81/Geek001.jpg

TigerClaw
10-01-2016, 01:23 PM
The great thing about Pebble, You can put any Watchface you want.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/9rolld.jpg

Candy Kappa
10-01-2016, 01:42 PM

I'm using my phone, I never leave home without it.

The great thing about Pebble, You can put any Watchface you want.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/9rolld.jpg

That's really cute. The last clock I had was a tmnt themed clock, the one before that was Mickey Mouse where the arms showed the time :P

Cure
10-01-2016, 02:20 PM
I wear a watch on my left wrist. In EMT class there were plenty of people younger than me who wore watches so no, it's not just old people.

TigerClaw
10-01-2016, 02:36 PM
I wear a watch on my left wrist. In EMT class there were plenty of people younger than me who wore watches so no, it's not just old people.
Sooner or later you'll start seeing more people wearing watches when Smartwatches become the norm, one of the advantages of having one is, you can check your phone's notifications or see whose calling, even answer and talk on the watch.

Casey
10-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Apple watch is my new best friend.

Andrew NDB
10-01-2016, 08:32 PM
What's a fossil watch? Pics?

Here's what I currently sport:
http://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/f/o/fossil-nate-chronograph-black-dial-black-ion-plated-men_s-watch-jr1401_4.jpg

I dunno, without a watch I just feel naked. The times I don't have one on, even if I have a cellphone in my pocket or can look at the clock on the wall, I find myself raising my wrist to look at the time anyway.

MikeandRaph87
10-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Here's what I currently sport:

I dunno, without a watch I just feel naked. The times I don't have one on, even if I have a cellphone in my pocket or can look at the clock on the wall, I find myself raising my wrist to look at the time anyway.

This we agree on.

This is what I currently wear.
http://cdn.watchshop.com/profiler/thumb_cache/zoom/99962003_v_1423993263.jpg

Andrew NDB
10-01-2016, 09:16 PM
This we agree on.

This is what I currently wear.
http://cdn.watchshop.com/profiler/thumb_cache/zoom/99962003_v_1423993263.jpg

Very sleek.

Andrew NDB
10-01-2016, 09:17 PM
I think smart watches will one day largely replace cell phones. We're not quite there yet, though.

CyberCubed
10-01-2016, 11:12 PM
I guess age has to do with it. Cell phones were already invented by the time I was an early teen around 14-15...which is when I needed to see the time every day to know what classes to go to.

I had those old crappy flip top phones from the early 2000's, but they still had the clock/time on it.

sdp
10-01-2016, 11:23 PM
I had a few watches as a kid but I never got into the habit and yeah cellphones that I had since I was in 6th grade made them even more useless. I like to wear watches a lot more now though because I have a job that I need to look at the time in a subtle way/without anyone noticing and because it's great to have while you're running.

Prowler
10-02-2016, 01:25 AM
I remember being a kid and wanting a digital watch but my mom bought me an ordinary one instead because "it will teach you how to tell time properly!". But I already knew how to tell the time properly. And besides, with digital watches it's faster to check time and you're actually sure it's 8:25 and not 8:24 or 8:26.

Ninturtle
10-02-2016, 07:40 AM
I use my watch to tell time time quickly on my SAT or an AP exam, but that's about it.

MikeandRaph87
10-02-2016, 07:50 AM
I think smart watches will one day largely replace cell phones. We're not quite there yet, though.

I remember when the smart watches came out produced by Samsung. Loved the commercials for it, but I got the impression that it never took off or the world was not ready for it.
KMsWnw18EAg┼++

BubblyShell22
10-02-2016, 09:28 AM
I guess the only people who wear watches nowadays are old fogey's who were already adults before cell phones were invented and are used to it, or business tycoons who sport $1000 watches to show off how rich they are.

Hey, my mom still wears her watch! You better not call my mom an old fogey!

I have my cell phone with me so when I do want to check the time, I use that though it's very rare that I have to.

Mom wears her watch on the left wrist and she hates it when she forgets it.

ssjup81
10-03-2016, 02:44 AM
Today at work, I decided to take notice of my coworkers. The majority of them were wearing watches, which included those in their early to mid 20s.

Cell phones were more prominent here than other places got hooked on them, and people still seem to use both phones and watches. It's like how you can still find working payphones here, despite the majority of people using cell/mobile phones and smartphones.

Shark_Blade
10-03-2016, 03:39 AM
Sports watch. Practicality is my main reason, especially for running/marathon.

It's pointless and a waste of money wearing expensive watches like Omega and what not. You want to tell time when not exercising? Your phone is enough.

ssjup81
10-03-2016, 04:01 AM
Sports watch. Practicality is my main reason, especially for running/marathon.

It's pointless and a waste of money wearing expensive watches like Omega and what not. You want to tell time when not exercising? Your phone is enough.I think it can be useful depending on your job. For me, none of my suit skirts have pockets. I have to carry around a bag. It gets tiresome taking the phone in and out of it. You can accidentally drop it. Thinking about it, a watch would be more beneficial for me. At work too since I can't always see the clock.

I will never understand why they put the clock in the front of the room where the teacher teaches and sits as opposed to the back, so that way, you won't go over or under your time and you won't break the flow to stop and look at the clock. It'll always be in your field of view. Hm, maybe that's why my coworkers wear watches...it's easier to quickly glance down at your watch than it is to move around the room to see the clock.

Shark_Blade
10-03-2016, 04:39 AM
Ah, I was talking about the men.

Women normally don't have large pockets in their attire, so it's perfectly understandable. Fancy watches are like jewellery on them imo, it suits them rather nicely.

ssjup81
10-03-2016, 07:28 AM

Women normally don't have large pockets in their attire, so it's perfectly understandable. Fancy watches are like jewellery on them imo, it suits them rather nicely.
I'm more practical. A plain watch would suit me fine, but a Mickey watch would be nice to have again. Ooo, if it exists, a Legend of Zelda watch would be super nice. lol

plastroncafe
10-03-2016, 10:30 AM

It's interesting that you use that particular turn of phrase, because the dudes I know who wear and collect watches say the same thing about them. That watches are one of the few forms of jewelry that it's socially acceptable for a man to wear. And that it suits them.

Stephen
10-04-2016, 05:39 PM
I still wear one. It's useful for time management at work, keeping track of how much time to allocate for a specific task.

DisKosh
11-14-2016, 09:09 PM
I use my phone usually and the clock when I'm at work. To be honest, I don't always like the feel of things on my wrist (which can be frustrating as I have some beautiful bracelets).

shuriken
11-17-2016, 01:37 PM
I use it when I'm on a run or doing exercise.

Lisardo
12-08-2016, 01:45 PM
I like watches. It's a helluva lot easier to quickly glance at the time on my wrist then to dig out my phone to check the time. Even now my watch band broke so I'm watchless, and my wrist feels so naked!

TigerClaw
12-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Found out yesterday that Pebble was bought my Fitbit, and then the company shuts down, they stopped production on the Pebble Watches, and Kickstarter backers who were supposed to get the newest watches are getting a full refund, But the existing watches will continue to work, but probably with some limitations.

Cyndaquilfan123
12-25-2016, 09:48 AM
I wear one, all the time because I do Cross Country and Track, so I kind of need it.

TigerClaw
12-25-2016, 03:52 PM
I just ordered a Huawei Smartwatch, Its one of those watches that uses Android Wear, so I can put on a bunch of watch faces or watch apps on it, and they have TMNT Watch Faces too.
https://facerepo.com/app/search/results?query=teenage%20mutant%20ninja%20turtles&platform=android&sortOrder=uploaded-newest&watchModel=huawei-watch&compatibleIncluded=true&page=1

TigerClaw
12-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Just got a Huawei Smartwatch, I can put all kinds of Watch Faces. :tsmile:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0ytABjXAAEkoWT.jpg:small

Cure
12-28-2016, 03:26 PM
That's pretty dope. I like that it's round and not square like most smartwatches.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
12-29-2016, 05:38 AM
I haven't worn wristwatch for years, mobile telephones take over everything now.

TigerClaw
12-29-2016, 08:34 AM
I haven't worn wristwatch for years, mobile telephones take over everything now.
Some people don't want to pull out there mobile phone when its in a pocket, So they would use a smart watch to check on notifications, and even respond to them and make calls.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
12-30-2016, 04:11 AM
Some people don't want to pull out there mobile phone when its in a pocket, So they would use a smart watch to check on notifications, and even respond to them and make calls.

Getting a visible wallclock is usually easy.

Shark_Blade
12-30-2016, 04:27 AM

Yep. I don't want to keep pushing my phone button just to check the time everytime. It'll break faster that way, and it'll be costly to repair.

I only wear sports watch - also I can use it while running as well. I have no interest in expensive and branded watches.

Prowler
12-30-2016, 09:40 AM
I guess some people are afraid of getting it stolen. My parents warned me to avoid pulling it outside when I was a kid since someone could walk up to me and rob me. As an adult, I obviously don't fear that anymore.

DestronMirage22
05-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Just bought myself a watch for a really good price. It's been a few years since I've worn one, but I figured it was about time to start again. It'll take awhile to get used to wearing one again.

BubblyShell22
05-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Looks pretty neat, Destron.

DestronMirage22
05-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Looks pretty neat, Destron.

Thanks! :D
I'm really happy with this purchase and the overall design of the watch. It'll keep me looking sharp. :P

DarkFell
05-20-2017, 12:04 AM
I have a love / hate relationship with wrist watches; the wrist bands tend to detach from the lugs, and the watch batteries themselves crap out within a month or two. (I try to remember to pull the crown as it might help to 'save' the battery. However, I do tend to forget.)

Despite all of the above, I do own a few nice watches that I will occasionally wear.

Stephen
05-22-2017, 06:18 PM
I've pretty much always worn one. It helps with time management for keeping track of how much time to spend on a particular task at work.

Edit - I'd already replied to this thread before. Oh, well ...

Netkeeper
05-22-2017, 06:23 PM
I can only read digital clocks [not because I wasn't taught, I tried to learn over and over and over and I just can't do it] and it's really hard to find a good digital watch. Or at least it was for a long time. I'm just used to not bothering but when I do have one it's stupidly useful

Stephen
05-22-2017, 06:26 PM
I can only read digital clocks [not because I wasn't taught, I tried to learn over and over and over and I just can't do it] and it's really hard to find a good digital watch. Or at least it was for a long time. I'm just used to not bothering but when I do have one it's stupidly useful

I'm not particularly keen on the analogue ones. I can read them, but find them less convenient for just looking at the time at a glance.

ProphetofGanja
05-22-2017, 06:48 PM
If I could afford this wildly impractical and unnecessary watch (http://mentalfloss.com/article/79911/astronomical-watch-gorgeously-depicts-real-time-orbits-planets), I would definitely wear one

Most watches can tell time, but how many keep track of the planetary orbits? Luxury watch maker Van Cleef & Arpels created the Midnight PlanÚtarium timepiece, which does just that. The wristwear is encased in 18-carat gold and sports a variety of different semi-precious gems. As the watchmakers explain on their website, the company has "achieved its dream of reducing the scale of the heavens to the dimensions of a wristwatch." Pretty fancy stuff.

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/35klj53lkj53.png

Each planet is represented with a different colored stone: Earth is turquoise, Mercury is serpentine, Venus is chloromelanite, Mars is red jasper, Jupiter is blue agate, and Saturn is sugilite. Other celestial objects on the watch include a pink gold shooting star and sun.

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/k64jlkj35.png

Most watches can tell time, but how many keep track of the planetary orbits? Luxury watch maker Van Cleef & Arpels created the Midnight PlanÚtarium timepiece, which does just that. The wristwear is encased in 18-carat gold and sports a variety of different semi-precious gems. As the watchmakers explain on their website, the company has "achieved its dream of reducing the scale of the heavens to the dimensions of a wristwatch." Pretty fancy stuff.

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/4kj6lk46j_2.png

Each planet is represented with a different colored stone: Earth is turquoise, Mercury is serpentine, Venus is chloromelanite, Mars is red jasper, Jupiter is blue agate, and Saturn is sugilite. Other celestial objects on the watch include a pink gold shooting star and sun.

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/5j3lk35j53_0.png

This watch isn't just for looks: The planets actually move in time with their real-life depictions. A self-winding mechanism containing 396 separate parts moves each miniature planet in true time to its actual orbit length. That means it will take your tiny Saturn 29 years to make its way around the watch's dial, with Jupiter taking about 12 years, Mars 687 days, Earth 365 days, and Mercury 88 days. (Neptune and Uranus aren't included as their orbits are longer than most human lifetimes at 165 years and 84 years respectively.)

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/4kj3l5k5j3.png

The back of the watch features an engraving of the starry night sky. You can set the date and view it through two apertures on the dial. You can also tell the time thanks to the shooting star which completes a revolution around the dial in 24 hours. Adorably, the owner can choose a specific day as their "lucky day" and on that date the Earth will move directly underneath the star engraved on sapphire crystal to symbolize good fortunes.

The watch retails for $225,000, which really isn't so much to have the entire solar system adorning your arm.

BubblyShell22
05-23-2017, 06:12 AM
Now, that's pretty neat!

Coola Yagami
05-24-2017, 07:30 PM
They're still good if you want to know the time and you're stuck working someplace where you get written up if you they catch you looking at your phone.

Splinter the boss
05-25-2017, 01:26 PM
I wear a watch, it's practical. You can look at the time easily without having to take a phone out of your pocket.