PDA

View Full Version : rat learning martial arts/the ancient one

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-06-2016, 12:42 AM
You know, looking at the Mirage origin, and the usual problems people have with the 'rat learned from the cage' part, a re-watching of the 4kids series got me to thinking; wouldn't it have made more sense to have had the ancient one teach Splinter his martial arts? The ninja tribunal arc revealed Splinter had made contact with him again after mutation when the TMNT were little. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have Splinter mimic the moves, then actually be taught martial arts by Yoshi's teacher. I don't know, it just makes more sense to me he'd become a master if taught by the ancient one after mutation, but before the turtles were old enough to start learning themselves. I think it's silly to have him become become a martial arts master just by copying moves from a cage for a few years.

FredWolfLeonardo
10-06-2016, 01:49 AM
I have to admit that really sounds like a good theory, especially considering how Splinter visited the ancient one while the turtles were still kids. It would have made for some great character development and a more creative take on how Splinter obtained his ninja skills despite being an ordinary rat at one time. I'm surprised 4kids didn't make this a part of the story, since they seem to pay alot of attention to details in the 2k3 series and they didn't always follow the Mirage comics strictly, so I think this would've been a really good change.

Cryomancer
10-06-2016, 01:53 AM
I think this would raise a lot of questions about why would Splinter (in the 2k3 continuity) even stay in the sewers anyway. If he could have just taken himself and the turtles off to Japan it probably would have been safer and more pleasant to do so. There might be similar questions regarding the Guardians and the Battle Nexus now that I think about it. When did Splinter know about / have access to all these things, hmm.

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-06-2016, 06:39 AM
I think this would raise a lot of questions about why would Splinter (in the 2k3 continuity) even stay in the sewers anyway. If he could have just taken himself and the turtles off to Japan it probably would have been safer and more pleasant to do so. There might be similar questions regarding the Guardians and the Battle Nexus now that I think about it. When did Splinter know about / have access to all these things, hmm.

That's what intrigues me about this theory; Splinter and the TMNT DID go off to Japan, DID meet the ancient one again as mutants, and Splinter WAS participating in battle nexus tournaments during the years the TMNT grew up. And it helps answer questions about a fully-furnished sewer home, finely crafted ninja weapons, and things like being able to read, meditate, and understand and know Eastern philosophies without having had a formal education; the ancient one taught him. It also has Splinter using his ninjitsu training in the battle nexus to fight in his prime, rather than just training and teaching in the sewer all his life.