PDA

View Full Version : Possible outcomes for Mirage TMNT Vol. 4

myconius
10-06-2016, 08:19 AM
the topic of possible outcomes of the many loose threads for Mirage TMNT Vol. 4 has stirred up, and i thought it would be fun to start a discussion of it.

I'm not fond of Mikey coming home with 3 little alien turtle babies though. I don't think even PL was planning that.

My gut is that no, he wouldn't be planning that. Mikey was frauded.

Given how much PL hates the idea of the Turtles reproducing, I'd think that too.

they should have had Michelangelo coming back to Earth with babies from some other species. something that couldn't possible be his!
and have it that the Mother just took off and left him holding the 'diaper' bag.

That could be one possible outcome. Mikey playing single father to Styracodon babies that aren't his. I could see that happening, possibly.

that i think is more likely! Michelangelo seems the noble type that would be a father to children that weren't his. sort of like Casey with Shadow.

Agreed. I mean, come on... I don't think Styracodons lay a clutch of eggs within 24 hours.

feel free to share thoughts and insight. :D

does anyone have the image of Jim Lawson's Vol. 4 conclusion to post?

that'd be a pretty good starting point i think?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-06-2016, 08:32 AM
Personally, I don't like the Jim Lawson artwork. Mikey with a big-ass gun is out of character. Even when he's fighting alongside the Triceraton Empire, he's using techno-chucks.

If it weren't for the last page reveal of Issue #32, I'd also expect Splinter to stay dead. I really feel like that's either leading up to another plot twist, but if it's not and Splinter really is still alive... cheap.

But as for the various hanging plot threads, they're mainly regarding two situations:

Sitrep 1
What's up with Karai, the Foot, and the evil book?
What about the genderless warriors?
The Battle Nexus, and mirror universe Splinter and Shredder?

Sitrep 2
How does Mikey return home?
Who is the Regenta really, why did she manipulate him?
The outcome of the Triceraton/Styracodon war?
Is Mikey really outRaphing Raph?

Except for that, the rest is piecemeal small stuff: Donnie getting his size back (figure it out, Glurin), the mysterious disappearances, and April and Casey getting back together.

myconius
10-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Personally, I don't like the Jim Lawson artwork. Mikey with a big-ass gun is out of character. Even when he's fighting alongside the Triceraton Empire, he's using techno-chucks.

If it weren't for the last page reveal of Issue #32, I'd also expect Splinter to stay dead. I really feel like that's either leading up to another plot twist, but if it's not and Splinter really is still alive... cheap.

But as for the various hanging plot threads, they're mainly regarding two situations:

Sitrep 1
What's up with Karai, the Foot, and the evil book?
What about the genderless warriors?
The Battle Nexus, and mirror universe Splinter and Shredder?

Sitrep 2
How does Mikey return home?
Who is the Regenta really, why did she manipulate him?
The outcome of the Triceraton/Styracodon war?
Is Mikey really outRaphing Raph?

Except for that, the rest is piecemeal small stuff: Donnie getting his size back (figure it out, Glurin), the mysterious disappearances, and April and Casey getting back together.

although i did like the piece of art that Jim Lawson made, i wasn't a fan of Mikey armed to the teeth with that BFG from 'Doom'.

i kind of feel that the 'True' Splinter didn't actually die.
we saw a Splinter looking figure alive in (issue #31?)
and that conversation between Donatello right after Raph returned back to normal, saying the Splinter that died wasn't actually the same Splinter that raised them.
that creates a HUGE amount of possibilities!!!
why was there a cloned figure standing in Splinter's place?
and what was Splinter doing at the Battle Nexus?
why would he not reveal himself to Leonardo?

i'm still really really disappointed the Battle Nexus was built up and never fully utilized.

i never gave the issues a proper beginning to end read-through as i had a time putting them together. i will give all the issues a proper re-read soon though.

Editor's Note Comics
10-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Jim's image showed everything kind of going back to status quo, but I'm don't know if that's the route Pete would take. We already know what happens beyond Vol. 4, and it's depressing as all hell.

myconius
10-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Jim's image showed everything kind of going back to status quo, but I'm don't know if that's the route Pete would take. We already know what happens beyond Vol. 4, and it's depressing as all hell.

very true!

if Raph living in the Swamps as a crazy hermit wasn't bad enough, that 'Old Times' story with Donnie is a real fist through the soul!!!!

i still think the 'Death' and 'Return' of Splinter was the thing that really has me curious what Peter Laird was up to!
i'd probably just shrugged issue #32 off had i gotten it at cover price, instead of having to pop open a graded copy to read it! :lol:

Editor's Note Comics
10-07-2016, 09:48 AM
i still think the 'Death' and 'Return' of Splinter was the thing that really has me curious what Peter Laird was up to!

I'd guess the one that died was an alternate reality Splinter. The Battle Nexus, acts as some kind of hub that all dimensions can meet at and the original Splinter traded places, for whatever reason. Alternate reality would also explain the Oroku Yoshi character.

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 09:56 AM
It might be a time loop and both Splinters are the same guy. i.e., at some point before his death, Splinter found a way to travel to the Battle Nexus, where time flows differently, spent some time there (possibly years), and then time-traveled back to the real universe to one day die of a heart attack reaching for the milk.

Or... the Battle Nexus Splinter is a fraud trying to get in the Turtles' good graces. Remember, that vision of a Turtle killing Splinter from Vol. 2, #1 has never truly been fulfilled (though an argument could be made about Raph almost stabbing Splinter to death in Vol. 3... but the point is, that obviously isn't what Peter would have been planning), when all of the other visions have.

What I really hope was that Peter introducing the Battle Nexus Splinter as potentially the "real Splinter all along" wasn't just his way of backpeddling on killing Splinter because fans were butt hurt about it. Not that he's ever really written things reactionarily.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 09:59 AM
It might be a time loop and the Battle Nexus Splinter is the core Splinter. i.e., at some point before his death, Splinter found a way to travel to the Battle Nexus, where time flows differently, spent some time there (possibly years), and then time-traveled back to the real universe to one day die of a heart attack reaching for the milk.

Or... the Battle Nexus Splinter is a fraud trying to get in the Turtles' good graces. Remember, that vision of a Turtle killing Splinter from Vol. 2, #1 has never truly been fulfilled (though an argument could be made about Raph almost stabbing Splinter to death in Vol. 3... but the point is, that obviously isn't what Peter would have been planning), when all of the other visions have.

What I really hope was that Peter introducing the Battle Nexus Splinter as potentially the "real Splinter all along" wasn't just his way of backpeddling on killing Splinter because fans were butt hurt about it. Not that he's ever really written things reactionarily.

Andrew, were any of us butt-hurt over Splinter's death? I mean, that was 15 years ago now or whenever... and I think most of us on here today fully endorse and embrace Splinter's death. It's true Mirage, reminding us that life is short and bittersweet.

I hadn't thought of the timeloop thing. I like that idea.

I'd LOVE to someday have that vision fulfilled. And Volume 4 finished.

Tell me again, mate... when do you write up your own Volume 4 conclusion for us? I will throw ALL the money at you for that. :twink:

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Andrew, were any of us butt-hurt over Splinter's death?

I do have memories of people being very upset about it, lumping his death right in there with other things a lot of folks didn't like such as April as a doodle (which I'm totally fine with), April as a cockroach, etc.. In the lettercol and here.

I mean, that was 15 years ago now or whenever... and I think most of us on here today fully endorse and embrace Splinter's death. It's true Mirage, reminding us that life is short and bittersweet.

Which is why the prospect of waving a magic wand and going, "Oh sh*t, that Splinter that died was a fake one, the real one's perfectly fine, see?" would be... concerning.

Tell me again, mate... when do you write up your own Volume 4 conclusion for us? I will throw ALL the money at you for that. :twink:

After Origin. After The Shredder. And only if Peter still shows no sign of movement on it.

myconius
10-07-2016, 10:15 AM
It might be a time loop and both Splinters are the same guy. i.e., at some point before his death, Splinter found a way to travel to the Battle Nexus, where time flows differently, spent some time there (possibly years), and then time-traveled back to the real universe to one day die of a heart attack reaching for the milk.

"backpeddling" is definitely a good way of looking at it!!
because when i read issues #31 & #32 that really gave me the message that the Splinter we see in the Battle Nexus was the Genuine Splinter all along, and the one who died was either a clone or an alternate reality version?

i'm thinking he had some complex story planned out with the Battle Nexus, but it's just sad that he gave up on it.

Editor's Note Comics
10-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Or... the Battle Nexus Splinter is a fraud trying to get in the Turtles' good graces. Remember, that vision of a Turtle killing Splinter from Vol. 2, #1 has never truly been fulfilled (though an argument could be made about Raph almost stabbing Splinter to death in Vol. 3... but the point is, that obviously isn't what Peter would have been planning), when all of the other visions have

I like the idea of a time loop, but I don't think it works since Don said it wasn't the same Splinter.

It would be great if it somehow connected to the Vol. 2, always bugged me how that was never addressed.

You're right that the Battle Nexus Splinter might be a fraud. We don't have a lot of information to go off of with him.

And then there's the clone Splinter. Maybe the Battle Nexus acts as an afterlife and Splinter will go back into the body Don made?

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 10:32 AM
"backpeddling" is definitely a good way of looking at it!!
because when i read issues #31 & #32 that really gave me the message that the Splinter we see in the Battle Nexus was the Genuine Splinter all along, and the one who died was either a clone or an alternate reality version?

i'm thinking he had some complex story planned out with the Battle Nexus, but it's just sad that he gave up on it.

I'm pretty sure. And it was just getting started.

I like the idea of a time loop, but I don't think it works since Don said it wasn't the same Splinter.

It would be great if it somehow connected to the Vol. 2, always bugged me how that was never addressed.

You're right that the Battle Nexus Splinter might be a fraud. We don't have a lot of information to go off of with him.

If "Oroku Yoshi" is inherently good and we are in opposites land... maybe Splinter is inherently bad.

And then there's the clone Splinter. Maybe the Battle Nexus acts as an afterlife and Splinter will go back into the body Don made?

Possibly... if Peter was just going to return the status quo. I hope that wasn't the plan.

What I'm wondering is... let's play devil's advocate and assume the Battle Nexus is the "real" Splinter and the Splinter that died was indeed a fake Splinter (which is a weird thing in itself... why would a fake Splinter just hang around Northampton drinking milk with Casey Jones? what would be their M.O.?), which is what the last couple of Vol. 4 comics are suggesting us to consider. If that's true, when did the switch happen? When could it have happened?

I had the thought that maybe Battle Nexus Splinter had Turtles of his own that he'd raised as sons, they all died, so he came to Real Splinter to ask if he'd mind doing a switcheroo for a little while so he could hang with his alternate dimension sons. They do, but Battle Nexus Splinter never keeps up his end of the deal to undo the switcheroo and just keeps hanging out in the core universe until he dies one day reaching for the milk. Real Splinter didn't tell the Turtles about it because the idea would be that Battle Nexus Splinter wanted them to treat him like, well, their actual Splinter.

Which would work... except Splinter never did a whole lot of hanging out with the Turtles in Vol. 4 or really... much at all with them since like Vol. 3. And if the imposter Splinter has been with the Turtles all the way back then, possibly even further... then isn't he basically the real Splinter anyway?

Really, the only possibility I like is the Battle Nexus Splinter playing the Turtles.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 10:36 AM
After Origin. After The Shredder. And only if Peter still shows no sign of movement on it.

What's The Shredder? I don't believe I've heard you mention this project before...

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 10:40 AM
What's The Shredder? I don't believe I've heard you mention this project before...

A proper Round 3. Intermixed with Saki's origin.

Editor's Note Comics
10-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Or it's Utrom Splinter. No one would see it coming!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 10:53 AM
A proper Round 3. Intermixed with Saki's origin.

So, basically updating/expanding/improving the old Shredder trilogy fan fic on Ninja Turtles Empire? :tgrin: I'm on board for that!

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 11:20 AM
So, basically updating/expanding/improving the old Shredder trilogy fan fic on Ninja Turtles Empire? :tgrin: I'm on board for that!

Hah! There would be some shades of those. It will be split pretty much 50/50 with the past/present, though. And the present would be shortly before "Origin" but after Vol. 4.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Hah! There would be some shades of those. It will be split pretty much 50/50 with the past/present, though. And the present would be shortly before "Origin" but after Vol. 4.

Cool!

But :tsad: for no Pimiko.

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Cool!

But :tsad: for no Pimiko.

She's in it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 11:35 AM
She's in it.

Aaaaaaaaaaand this is why I love you, man. Wish I'd been back on the 'Drome in time to get in on for the Image Volume 3 conclusion instead of after the fact.

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaand this is why I love you, man. Wish I'd been back on the 'Drome in time to get in on for the Image Volume 3 conclusion instead of after the fact.

You don't have a copy of either? DemonAlukard is seemingly perpetually selling an "unofficial" third printing of #24 and an "unofficial" second printing of #25 on eBay for a while now.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 12:09 PM
You don't have a copy of either? DemonAlukard is seemingly perpetually selling an "unofficial" third printing of #24 and an "unofficial" second printing of #25 on eBay for a while now.

I do, I just mean that I didn't get on in time to do the Kickstarter or however you raised money.

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 03:15 PM
I do, I just mean that I didn't get on in time to do the Kickstarter or however you raised money.

I didn't do that for those, as there was no one that needed to be paid. Pre-orders gathered here (I think?) helped with the printing, though.

"The Shredder" might be a little different than you're expecting. There will be minor Utrom involvement, we will see that "horrible" thing that Shadow did to Donatello, and things might even get a little... "Super." :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 03:38 PM
I didn't do that for those, as there was no one that needed to be paid. Pre-orders gathered here (I think?) helped with the printing, though.

"The Shredder" might be a little different than you're expecting. There will be minor Utrom involvement, we will see that "horrible" thing that Shadow did to Donatello, and things might even get a little... "Super." :)

Ah, okay. I just now I returned to the 'Drome right when the PDFs were freely available to download. I saw it, said "Whaaaaaaaaat?" and then set about reading and then later collecting.

Huh. Well now I don't know WHAT the heck to expect. :tgrin:

John Pannozzi
10-07-2016, 03:51 PM

Are you still planning to do Predator vs. TMNT?

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Are you still planning to do Predator vs. TMNT?

Little by little. The artist is down to do it at his pace and I'm not going to sweat him.

CyberCubed
10-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Interesting. Its too bad none of this can be officially published.

Andrew NDB
10-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Interesting. Its too bad none of this can be officially published.

Oh, stop it. :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 08:55 PM
So does anyone even care if Donatello regains his normal size? It seems perfectly obvious that eventually, Glurin and Honeycutt will figure out something, explain it with technobabble, and presto chango, Donnie is back in full-sized action.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impatient to see it HAPPEN, but it's not anything that keeps me up at night.

His whole storyline with the South American Utroms was great, but since then, it's been boring. At least Don got a real storyline, unlike Raph's monster transformation and fighting Leatherhead for sides of beef. Huge step down from the awesomeness that was Image Volume 3 and leading the Foot Clan.

mrmaczaps
10-07-2016, 10:40 PM
So does anyone even care if Donatello regains his normal size? It seems perfectly obvious that eventually, Glurin and Honeycutt will figure out something, explain it with technobabble, and presto chango, Donnie is back in full-sized action.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impatient to see it HAPPEN, but it's not anything that keeps me up at night.

His whole storyline with the South American Utroms was great, but since then, it's been boring. At least Don got a real storyline, unlike Raph's monster transformation and fighting Leatherhead for sides of beef. Huge step down from the awesomeness that was Image Volume 3 and leading the Foot Clan.

I didn't mind Raph's transformation... Either way. Don in story explains it well enough... Don's story is good... Need more Leo & Mikey happenings.

Over all, I like Lawson's take for a "final page" of vol 4. Even with a new Klunk tossed in for good measure.

Some of the story is wishy-washy all over but still better than today's story telling... Just imagine if Eastman had come back to New England and said Hey Pete, let's wrap up vol 4 together... I bet that would spark Peter into completing it with fire and passion... Not to mention blowing it out of the water with all of us fans...

Andrew NDB
10-08-2016, 12:42 AM
So does anyone even care if Donatello regains his normal size?

We know that has to happen at some point imminently. In the "early 21st century" we see normal-size Donatello living in Japan with his new costume on in Plastron Cafe #1... written and drawn by Peter Laird.

Utrommaniac
10-08-2016, 01:11 AM
Or it's Utrom Splinter. No one would see it coming!
An Utrom Shredder origin would be interesting. Where he got the scar, why he came to despise his own kind so much, how he managed to get away with so many alter egos...that would be fun. I once considered something like that, and then scrapped it in favor of IDW Krang (and now IDW Ch'rell...interested in their history together)

His whole storyline with the South American Utroms was great, but since then, it's been boring.
Most of the South America story was "and the point is"??? Mostly just world building for the Utroms. The organic exosuits was a pretty cool concept, but not very impactful. And also horrifying.

bjaxx87
10-08-2016, 02:00 AM
What I'm wondering is... let's play devil's advocate and assume the Battle Nexus is the "real" Splinter and the Splinter that died was indeed a fake Splinter (which is a weird thing in itself... why would a fake Splinter just hang around Northampton drinking milk with Casey Jones? what would be their M.O.?), which is what the last couple of Vol. 4 comics are suggesting us to consider. If that's true, when did the switch happen? When could it have happened?
My thoughts exactly! WHEN did it happen? If it happened early in the timeline the fake Splinter might still be the one that raised the Turtles while the "real" one might have changed a lot. Maybe real Splinter IS the evil/mad one (the one that raised children to kill his enemy).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-08-2016, 07:38 AM
Most of the South America story was "and the point is"??? Mostly just world building for the Utroms. The organic exosuits was a pretty cool concept, but not very impactful. And also horrifying.

The point was, SOMETHING was causing explorers and people to go missing. And something created dinosaur-like creatures. Except for Laird's incessant Gollum-ing, I love that plot line.

I didn't mind Raph's transformation... Either way. Don in story explains it well enough... Don's story is good... Need more Leo & Mikey happenings.

I can't agree with you; of the four, this volume seemed to give Leo and Mikey tons of stuff to do. Leo with the Foot Clan, Karai and Cha Ocho, the weird book, the genderless warriors, leading to the Battle Nexus and Oroku Yoshi...

Mikey with the Regenta and romance, then betrayal, then imprisonment (TMNT Gitmo), then jailbreak, Triceratons, commandos!?!

And Raph just did vampire steroids and went on a rampage. :tlol:

myconius
10-08-2016, 08:56 AM

I had the thought that maybe Battle Nexus Splinter had Turtles of his own that he'd raised as sons, they all died, so he came to Real Splinter to ask if he'd mind doing a switcheroo for a little while so he could hang with his alternate dimension sons. They do, but Battle Nexus Splinter never keeps up his end of the deal to undo the switcheroo and just keeps hanging out in the core universe until he dies one day reaching for the milk. Real Splinter didn't tell the Turtles about it because the idea would be that Battle Nexus Splinter wanted them to treat him like, well, their actual Splinter.

Which would work... except Splinter never did a whole lot of hanging out with the Turtles in Vol. 4 or really... much at all with them since like Vol. 3. And if the imposter Splinter has been with the Turtles all the way back then, possibly even further... then isn't he basically the real Splinter anyway?

Really, the only possibility I like is the Battle Nexus Splinter playing the Turtles.

i have to say, that actually a pretty frikken awesome theory!!

and it would leave the door open to the premonition Splinter had in Lawson's Vol. 2 . which is actually a far worse and brutal death!!!

i still would have loved (as i imagine many other do as well) to see more exploration of the Battle Nexus!!
we've seen it in cartoons, but that's not even the same species as what they can get away with in comics as far as i'm concerned!

Editor's Note Comics
10-08-2016, 10:02 AM
I want to see the April stuff wrapped up. A lot of time went into the whole "Ah, I'm having an existential crisis because I'm a drawing and have sex with cockroaches" thing.

myconius
10-08-2016, 10:17 AM
"Ah, I'm having an existential crisis because I'm a drawing and have sex with cockroaches" thing.

i don't think i'll EVER be able to wrap my brain around that one!!! :o

***First of Two Latin Kings***
10-08-2016, 11:51 AM
If Casey had slept with Karai they'd be even, since April and Renet had a lesbian cockroach affair.

Laird has some interesting fetishes.

CyberCubed
10-08-2016, 11:54 AM
If Casey had slept with Karai they'd be even, since April and Renet had a lesbian cockroach affair.

LOL, I completely forgot Casey possibly slept with Karai in one issue. I guess that plotline was so bad I blocked it out completely from memory. :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-08-2016, 01:13 PM

:tlol:

LOL, I completely forgot Casey possibly slept with Karai in one issue. I guess that plotline was so bad I blocked it out completely from memory. :lol:

It was never confirmed that Casey slept with her. It's quite possible, but unconfirmed.

Editor's Note Comics
10-08-2016, 01:20 PM

No way Casey slept with her. Not for moral reasons, more just what we're presented with. He's partially dressed when he wakes up. Nobody gets blackout drunk, has sex, then decides boxers are needed.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-08-2016, 01:36 PM
No way Casey slept with her. Not for moral reasons, more just what we're presented with. He's partially dressed when he wakes up. Nobody gets blackout drunk, has sex, then decides boxers are needed.

They do in older television shows. For PG related reasons. :tlol:

But yeah, your point is valid. :tgrin:

myconius
10-08-2016, 01:38 PM

i felt the same way with the evidence we got as well.

oh well, poor Casey! can't catch a break!

Editor's Note Comics
10-08-2016, 01:44 PM
They do in older television shows. For PG related reasons.

We've (unfortunately) seen Triceraton dong in the past...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-08-2016, 01:58 PM
We've (unfortunately) seen Triceraton dong in the past...

Oh, man, I completely forgot about that! :tlol: Thanks a lot, Lawson. :trazz: