PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #63 Preview & Discussion

AlZarkovski
10-07-2016, 07:54 AM
Preview here (http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-63/1100-156108/).

MikeandRaph87
10-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Can't believe we are getting #63 this quick! I am curious if we will see Splinter's motives for his surprising move. That is the highlight I am looking to see.

ChosenOne
10-07-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and wager this is the last arc the Turtles spend with the Foot Clan. Safe bet at this point.

neatoman
10-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Hope they'll save Harry... Or not... Whatever works out best in the longrun.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 08:31 AM
This is everything I want. And the covers for this story arc have been BEAUTIFUL. Especially this one.

ProphetofGanja
10-07-2016, 10:48 AM
This is everything I want. And the covers for this story arc have been BEAUTIFUL. Especially this one.

Totally, man.

I'm really curious what the solicitations are going to hint at for the story arc coming after this and the holiday issue.

ChosenOne
10-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Totally, man.

I'm really curious what the solicitations are going to hint at for the story arc coming after this and the holiday issue.

The Alopex issue is up next, if I recall. Then the solicit for #67 will probably be plenty spoilery but it won't matter, seeing as how we'll already know the end of Chasing Phantoms by then. Funny how well this whole thing plays out.

MikeandRaph87
10-07-2016, 12:02 PM
The Alopex issue is up next, if I recall. Then the solicit for #67 will probably be plenty spoilery but it won't matter, seeing as how we'll already know the end of Chasing Phantoms by then. Funny how well this whole thing plays out.

We are getting two consecutive one shot stories with the Christmas themed story and Alopex in Alaska,right? The n3xt arc will startvwith #68.

ChosenOne
10-07-2016, 12:07 PM
We are getting two consecutive one shot stories with the Christmas themed story and Alopex in Alaska,right? The n3xt arc will startvwith #68.

#63 - Chasing Phantoms, Part 3
#64 - Chasing Phantoms, Part 4
#65 - Christmas story
#66 - Alopex story
#67 - New arc begins

Or at least I think this is it, could be wrong.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 12:07 PM

Correct.

Based on Mateus' art, the next art is Bishop hunting down the Mutanimals and the Turtles.

CyberCubed
10-07-2016, 12:08 PM
The next arc may very well be Bishop's attack on Burnow Island against the Utroms. Or at least I hope so, I'd rather them get back to the Utroms/Fugitoids problems and see Bishop go all out after them.

The Pantheon arc will probably be on the backburner for a while, and we know Leatherhead meets Hob in the next Universe story. So other than that there's not much else to go back to other than the Utroms/Fugitoid and Bishop attacking them.

Technogeek29
10-07-2016, 01:27 PM
I love Harold, have I said that before?:D I've I thought at any point I was going to be killed anyway, I'd be pretty snarky myself. And hello Mirage Splinter it's been too long.

CyberCubed
10-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Its kind of interesting the woman is totally fine with Harold being kidnapped and working for criminals. I think she's not as innocent as we assume.

Utrommaniac
10-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Quite a surprise this is coming so soon. Probably because October ends on a Monday, so some releases have to be pushed back a little bit.

And again...someone apologize to Michelangelo right now for not taking his concerns seriously.

Based on Mateus' art, the next art is Bishop hunting down the Mutanimals and the Turtles.
I'm pretty sure the Mutanimals story is a mini. Which is good, because it probably wouldn't contribute to the main plot overall, and would just be an unnecessary detour.

Not only that, but it's already been established in the main series that Bishop knows about Burnow - and not the mutanimals. A colony of aliens is probably going to be his first priority over the mutants that were created by their presence.

CyberCubed
10-07-2016, 02:17 PM
If the Street Phantoms story is only 2 issues more, I wonder how this will all play out. Darius will likely escape/get away, or maybe the Turtles won't even see him. They'll likely rescue Harold at the end, I'm guessing the woman will stick with Darius.

I wonder if the Street Phantoms will be straight up murdered like The Savate.

MikeandRaph87
10-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Correct.

Can you post a link to Mateus's page?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Quite a surprise this is coming so soon. Probably because October ends on a Monday, so some releases have to be pushed back a little bit.

And again...someone apologize to Michelangelo right now for not taking his concerns seriously.

I'm pretty sure the Mutanimals story is a mini. Which is good, because it probably wouldn't contribute to the main plot overall, and would just be an unnecessary detour.

Not only that, but it's already been established in the main series that Bishop knows about Burnow - and not the mutanimals. A colony of aliens is probably going to be his first priority over the mutants that were created by their presence.

Pretty sure it's not a mini. But we'll see. I agree, Bishop has a lot of different targets to hit, but the main one SHOULD be Burnow Island. Not sure why he hasn't made a move there yet.

If the Street Phantoms story is only 2 issues more, I wonder how this will all play out. Darius will likely escape/get away, or maybe the Turtles won't even see him. They'll likely rescue Harold at the end, I'm guessing the woman will stick with Darius.

I wonder if the Street Phantoms will be straight up murdered like The Savate.

I still think Jennika will assassinate Darius Dun at Splinter's command. The final straw that severs Splinter and Turtles.

Can you post a link to Mateus's page?

https://www.instagram.com/santolouco_art/

Just scroll through there... LOTS of Mutanimals stuff.

CyberCubed
10-07-2016, 03:51 PM
I still think Jennika will assassinate Darius Dun at Splinter's command. The final straw that severs Splinter and Turtles.

Maybe in the future, but right now he's too new a character to be killed off so quickly.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Maybe in the future, but right now he's too new a character to be killed off so quickly.

Not necessarily. If his sole purpose was to lead a force antagonistic to the Foot Clan and then have his death showcase Splinter's divide from his sons... what would be the point of his sticking around?

Characters are brought into a narrative for a specific purpose, Cubed. Sometimes, a character just has to die.

CyberCubed
10-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Seems like a waste of potential to kill off Dun so fast, he seems like a character who will be around for a while. That's why I said I wonder if the Street Phantoms would be literally killed off, as in dying rather than just being defeated.

MikeandRaph87
10-07-2016, 06:12 PM
I don't like the idea of the Savate ninjas,a rival clan brand new to Ninja Turtles lore, simply created as fodder to make Shredder appear dominant in the New York underworld and build him up as a foe. Darius Dunn had a murderous past for a cartoon character with limited interest in fandom. The Street Phantoms, I suppose the technology concept as a small rival for the turtles, but either long-term threats? Nah. So using them as a way of using established characters and not hurting fandom by using them for the Foot the way Savate were used? Ok. Besides there was no expectation of potential of a brand new character that came with the Savate.

Also, the killing of the Street Phantoms don't serve much purpose. Its the technology in the wrong hands. Killing Dunn just might be effective if IDW can make it impactful. Look at the useless character Jason Todd was only to be elevated 1,000 in relevance in death!

myconius
10-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Can't believe we are getting #63 this quick! I am curious if we will see Splinter's motives for his surprising move. That is the highlight I am looking to see.

a few issues here and there have been delayed. so i'll glad they are recovering some of that time. :)

myconius
10-12-2016, 05:51 AM
very emotionally charged issue!
Leo seems more even disgusted at Jennika than Splinter for keeping secrets from him.
Splinter's explanation though really turned the situation on it's ear!
it still doesn't dismiss Splinter's treatment of Harold as a mere pawn to lure the enemy where he wants them, but not things don't exactly seem as 'Black & White' as they previously had.

Harold's sharp tongue directed right at Darius Dunn and the Street Phantoms was PURE GOLD!!!!!!! :lol:

Harold has been one one my favorite additions to the IDW universe since his introduction in the Donatello micro series.
this issue he REALLY shined!

i was nicely shocked when i saw Casey's entrance with the Purple Dragons.
very cool visual!

the interaction between Harold and Libby was handled really well!
you could just feel his utter contempt!
surprising but not TOO surprising that was his former wife.

this issue was a terrific set up for next month!!! :D

i have to admit that was pretty funny with Michelangelo-

"i hate to be the guy who says i told you so..." :D

Harukuro
10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm gonna be honest, this issue was very difficult for me to read. This is partially because I'm a highly empathetic person, so seeing characters in distress makes me feel uncomfortable as well. I really felt for Mikey in this issue; he decides to take Raph on his offer to come back to the family just as they start gearing up for war, and adding the Purple Dragons to their army. Plus, he clearly seemed increasingly distressed as the issue progressed. I've said it before and I'll say it again: poor Mikey just can't catch a break this year.

And there was so much emotional manipulation going on in this issue. Splinter "justifying" his actions by guilt-tripping Leo about the Technodrome incident (which in my opinion is low, since the turtles had talked to Splinter about going for the Technodrome before they started to plan behind his back, which makes the analogy to the current Harold situation a false equivalent). And speaking of Harold, I can't help but feel he's been emotionally manipulated as well by his ex, especially since the last line she said in the issue is very similar to what abusive people say to their ex-partners.

Granted, I knew things were probably going to get worse this issue, and will probably escalate in the next one, but I gotta say this issue was rough to read. It wasn't bad, the writing was excellent as usual and the fight scenes were great, but it was just difficult for me. :tsad:

myconius
10-12-2016, 11:55 AM
i didn't really get the feeling that Michelangelo had reached as low a point that he had in issue #54.
at least he had some one on one time with Raph to know that his brothers hadn't turned their backs to him.
if anything he see's now that Raphael and Donatello are starting to come around to his point of view.

Leonardo on the other hand seems lost.
it's looking like some of the fears he experienced within his brainwashing hallucination might actually be coming true?

Harold's ex from what i can tell so far is just a rotten witch!!!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-12-2016, 05:06 PM
I certainly never expected to say this, but Harold Lilja is THE highlight of this issue. The man is never afraid, not for a moment. He sasses Libby, he sasses Dun, he sasses the Phantoms. And he has the most badass compact tech ever.

The Leo/Splinter stuff was great. Really curious to see where this goes, and I'm now torn between sympathizing with the Turtles and sympathizing with Splinter. The incredible interactions between Leo and Splinter have been on a roll since Leo was brought back from the Foot Clan (Northampton), encountered the Rat King (#36), and butted heads over the Technodrome. I love it.

The new look of the Purple Dragons is also pretty neat. The man has made his mark.

Looks like next month is nothing but throwdown... very curious to know what the fallout will be with everyone involved!

ctt4lfecw
10-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Great stuff in this issue. How many time though is Mikey going to stress no killing though? And when Donatello says his shell is bulletproof that's only his shell right? Because Rocksteady and Bebop's attack? This isn't like Michael Bay turtles where they're all bulletproof just because?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Great stuff in this issue. How many time though is Mikey going to stress no killing though? And when Donatello says his shell is bulletproof that's only his shell right? Because Rocksteady and Bebop's attack? This isn't like Michael Bay turtles where they're all bulletproof just because?

Yes, it's his new shell from Fugitoid and the Utroms.

ctt4lfecw
10-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Yes, it's his new shell from Fugitoid and the Utroms.

I thought so. In the comic it makes sense. For a minute there I was like keep that Bay crap out of my comic.

myconius
10-12-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm now torn between sympathizing with the Turtles and sympathizing with Splinter.

yeah that's what's making this new direction SO powerful!! :D

it's really testing the limits between Leonardo's relationship with Splinter.

Utrommaniac
10-12-2016, 10:24 PM
I'm a little surprised that Harold and Libby were actually married at one point. Their interaction at the end of the issue seems to suggest a small chance that they might get back together. Which might be sweet, depending on how things go. While they likely didn't have children (and probably shouldn't), I can't help but think that with the way their relationship went, any child of theirs would probably end up something like April Ludgate from Parks and Recreation.

neatoman
10-13-2016, 02:55 AM
So they were married? Wonder how they... You know... Tried to keep things interesting?...

myconius
10-13-2016, 05:21 AM
i don't really think Harold should go back with her.

that bridge wasn't just burned . . . . . it was INCINERATED!!!

MikeandRaph87
10-13-2016, 08:04 AM
Is Libby going to free Harold or keep him from escaping?

myconius
10-13-2016, 09:04 AM
that's a GOOD question!!!

i was really thinking she was there to stop Harold, but she also seems interested in getting back with him.

now the question IS- are her intentions genuine? or does she just see Harold as an object for her own personal desires?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 09:18 AM
I really have no idea what will happen with Harold and Libby. Regardless, I'm psyched.

The romantic in me wants them to reconcile, but the realist in me isn't quite sure that's in the cards... :tlol:

myconius
10-13-2016, 09:34 AM
I really have no idea what will happen with Harold and Libby. Regardless, I'm psyched.

The romantic in me wants them to reconcile, but the realist in me isn't quite sure that's in the cards... :tlol:

^ this right here!

it seems Harold had that look that he MIGHT still have feelings for her, but who knows what kind of person Libby really is?

this story is REALLY getting intense on ALL fronts!!!! :D

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 09:53 AM
^ this right here!

it seems Harold had that look that he MIGHT still have feelings for her, but who knows what kind of person Libby really is?

this story is REALLY getting intense on ALL fronts!!!! :D

I think Harold still has feelings for Libby, but he knows that he can't trust her. So he won't act on his feelings and will try to keep them from influencing his decisions.

Although I imagine Libby might make some snide comments once she meets Angel.

ProphetofGanja
10-13-2016, 09:58 AM
wow, the scientists in the IDW TMNTverse sure live complicated love lives

and they're also very prone to kidnapping

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 10:04 AM
wow, the scientists in the IDW TMNTverse sure live complicated love lives

and they're also very prone to kidnapping

Oh come on... we don't know a THING about Baxter's love life! :tlol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 10:10 AM
I really wanna reiterate here...

I LOVE Darius Dun. The guy knows what he wants, is confident, and doesn't give a damn about forcing people into doing what he wants. Also, he looks great... big burly dude with a monocle and salt-and-pepper goatee. I love his design.

He's got all the confidence, arrogance, conniving, and fashion sense of Baxter Stockman.

AND WHO WOULD'VE EXPECTED THAT FROM A LAME "FAST FORWARD" CHARACTER!?

Not me! :tgrin: :tcool:

myconius
10-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Oh come on... we don't know a THING about Baxter's love life! :tlol:

next story arc-

the many Loves and Losses of Baxter Stockman :lol:

myconius
10-13-2016, 10:28 AM
I really wanna reiterate here...

I LOVE Darius Dun. The guy knows what he wants, is confident, and doesn't give a damn about forcing people into doing what he wants. Also, he looks great... big burly dude with a monocle and salt-and-pepper goatee. I love his design.

He's got all the confidence, arrogance, conniving, and fashion sense of Baxter Stockman.

AND WHO WOULD'VE EXPECTED THAT FROM A LAME "FAST FORWARD" CHARACTER!?

Not me! :tgrin: :tcool:

i really enjoyed his dynamic with Libby! :D

and he was a pretty good foil to Harold as well!

talk that SASS Harold!!!! ...TALLLK that SASS!!!!!! :lol:

MikeandRaph87
10-13-2016, 10:49 AM
next story arc-

the many Loves and Losses of Baxter Stockman :lol:

it will be followed by Inventing Romance with Harold and Libby. Only in TMNT Universe.

Did anyone think it weird seeing the Purple Dragons with hocket mask and a purle dragon spray painted on it? It looked like a Joker-esque grin painted on it without looking closely.

Utrommaniac
10-13-2016, 11:01 AM
I imagine Dr. Stockman doesn't really want a romantic relationship...nor can I really imagine him having one either. Sure, maybe one-night stands, but I can't see him in a permanent relationship.

myconius
10-13-2016, 11:07 AM
it will be followed by Inventing Romance with Harold and Libby. Only in TMNT Universe.

Did anyone think it weird seeing the Purple Dragons with hocket mask and a purle dragon spray painted on it? It looked like a Joker-esque grin painted on it without looking closely.

i think a more appropriate title for Harold would be-

'50 Shades of Meh'

:lol:

yeah they did have a Joker/Harlequin look to them

CyberCubed
10-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Harold really was great in the issue, loved the trick he had in his glasses to escape. While I'm not that interested in the marriage crisis of two middle age 50+ year old scientists, I have to say its very interesting to find out where it goes. The woman doesn't seem to have any problems working for Dun, but she still cares for Harold, so we'll see.

So at the end we find out Casey has the Purple Dragons under his control. It'll be interesting to find out what Hun thinks when he discovers that. Or Angel for that matter since she's here. I guess Hun will be impressed he took over the gang?

Next issue I imagine the Foot will take out the Street Phantoms. I expect Dun to escape, most likely with the woman, for another day though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Next issue I imagine the Foot will take out the Street Phantoms. I expect Dun to escape, most likely with the woman, for another day though.

I still say Dun will be killed by Jennika per Splinter's orders.

CyberCubed
10-13-2016, 01:56 PM
I still say Dun will be killed by Jennika per Splinter's orders.

I can't see it. Maybe in a future story arc, but now is still way too soon. We still have no idea what Dun's real motivations are. He wants the city...but for what? How does he intend to do that?

Jammerhead and the Street Phantoms are just henchmen essentially, so if they're being killed off it doesn't matter too much, but Dun has a story brewing.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 02:14 PM
I can't see it. Maybe in a future story arc, but now is still way too soon. We still have no idea what Dun's real motivations are. He wants the city...but for what? How does he intend to do that?

Jammerhead and the Street Phantoms are just henchmen essentially, so if they're being killed off it doesn't matter too much, but Dun has a story brewing.

I won't complain if Dun is left alive for future story potential, but I think it'd be a hell of a ending for this story arc! :tcool:

MikeandRaph87
10-13-2016, 03:31 PM
I won't complain if Dun is left alive for future story potential, but I think it'd be a hell of a ending for this story arc! :tcool:

That would be the perfect catalyst for the already drifting away TMNT. While I agree with Cubed that Darius Dunn has proven to have story potential the only way to stop the threat for good is to kill Darius Dunn. Killing the Street Phantoms will only remove the threat temporarily as someone else will fill their costume. Killing Dunn removes the trigger man who can throw another threat in the way. Also, what would motive the story more is if someone dies and some one will. Will it be Jenika? Darius Dunn? The Street Phantoms? I see the third option as not happening, but both option one and two are quite possible. I will be okay with either if it can serve the overall story well.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 03:34 PM
That would be the perfect catalyst for the already drifting away TMNT. While I agree with Cubed that Darius Dunn has proven to have story potential the only way to stop the threat for good is to kill Darius Dunn. Killing the Street Phantoms will only remove the threat temporarily as someone else will fill their costume. Killing Dunn removes the trigger man who can throw another threat in the way. Also, what would motive the story more is if someone dies and some one will. Will it be Jenika? Darius Dunn? The Street Phantoms? I see the third option as not happening, but both option one and two are quite possible. I will be okay with either if it can serve the overall story well.

You get it. :tgrin:

CyberCubed
10-13-2016, 03:36 PM
There are a lot of factions now:

Splinter/Foot Clan
Casey/Purple Dragons (working for Splinter)

Dun/Street Phantoms
Bishop/EPF
Old Hob/Mutanimals

Apparently this is all going to boil down together eventually. Even moreso if people like Null or The Pantheon get involved.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 03:47 PM

Splinter/Foot Clan

Dun/Street Phantoms
Bishop/EPF
Old Hob/Mutanimals

Apparently this is all going to boil down together eventually. Even moreso if people like Null or The Pantheon get involved.

Well, it's two obvious different stories: the struggle for power in the NYC underworld (Foot Clan, Purple Dragons, Street Phantoms) and the mutant issue (EPF, Mutanimals, Foot Clan). I don't see it boiling together like you said.

Null will... honestly, Null actually COULD link the two, maybe. I don't know where she fits in.

CyberCubed
10-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Well Zodi works for Null and she's already had a run in with the EPF, so who knows.

There is a lot going on, and as said they still have to solve the Utrom problem on Burnow Island as well but I'm guessing Bishop will launch a full-scale attack on them sooner or later. Bishop will probably go after everyone.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Well Zodi works for Null and she's already had a run in with the EPF, so who knows.

There is a lot going on, and as said they still have to solve the Utrom problem on Burnow Island as well but I'm guessing Bishop will launch a full-scale attack on them sooner or later. Bishop will probably go after everyone.

True, true... and Stockman will be in the mess, his own faction delightfully trying to screw everybody else over.

I can't WAIT for Bishop to slip the reins and UNLEASH THE DOGS OF WAR!!!

ChosenOne
10-13-2016, 04:02 PM

Splinter/Foot Clan

Dun/Street Phantoms
Bishop/EPF
Old Hob/Mutanimals

The more the merrier, I say! Hob and Hun's alliance could also bridge both worlds together, not to mention Hob definitely has his eye on the prize that is NYC at some point down the line. Otherwise why bother amassing an arsenal and building a mutant army?

Utrommaniac
10-13-2016, 08:15 PM
I for one think that the Street Phantoms are just a little dab of glue to set up the next several storylines. They may not survive through to the next storylines, but the impact they have on the turtles, Splinter, and the Foot Clan will be their legacy.

They could also be the resting place before Bishop goes to Burnow. Which again, is probably the force that would let Ch'rell out from hibernation. Which then brings Ma'riell having to explain what happened to Krang. Which probably means a storyline where Ch'rell attempts to liberate him. Since it appears that Krang had two sets of armor, Ch'rell would probably end up using the green one that he normally used to fight Bishop.

At that point, the turtles would end up seeing of Ch'rell's reputations at once. The war hero side and the war criminal side.

CyberCubed
10-13-2016, 08:36 PM
It is a pretty good thing we have TMNT Universe around now for story arcs because having two main stories going on at the same time speeds up the narrative.

Since each arc is usually 4 issues that takes 4 months to get through in real life, so its a long wait to see everything come together. Remember Bishop still only has a single panel cameo in the main series, but now thanks to Universe we're seeing a full story with him.

I really hope Universe covers some more stuff we've been pondering from the main ongoing. I'm glad Leatherhead is meeting Hob already.

PApagreg
10-13-2016, 09:47 PM
The more the merrier, I say! Hob and Hun's alliance could also bridge both worlds together, not to mention Hob definitely has his eye on the prize that is NYC at some point down the line. Otherwise why bother amassing an arsenal and building a mutant army?

I just hope all of them do better than the Savate ninjas(seriously what was the point of them)

myconius
10-13-2016, 10:00 PM
the Savate were fairly active characters in the series up until the end of City Fall.

PApagreg
10-13-2016, 10:06 PM
the Savate were fairly active characters in the series up until the end of City Fall.

I don't know all I remeber the Savate ninjas doing is getting their butt kicks by pretty much everyone

CyberCubed
10-13-2016, 10:13 PM
They merely existed to be a rival gang for Shredder and the Foot Clan to exterminate and show their dominance over the city, not much more than that.

PApagreg
10-13-2016, 10:24 PM
They merely existed to be a rival gang for Shredder and the Foot Clan to exterminate and show their dominance over the city, not much more than that.

Thanks Cube for stating my criticism with them

ChosenOne
10-13-2016, 11:10 PM
Thanks Cube for stating my criticism with them

It's not exactly criticism, though, is it? They served a role in the story. If they'd been any more of a threat to the Foot, then City Fall wouldn't have happened or at least not the way it did.

Shredder needed to steamroll over his criminal opposition on the way to the top spot to make things interesting, and the Turtles couldn't exactly have stood in for the Savate every single time both groups came into conflict without their continued survival against the Foot becoming too contrived.

The same can be said now for the Street Phantoms, they're just the right amount of a competent threat to keep the story moving forward, without overstaying their welcome. Now Darius, he's a whole 'nother story. Plenty of potential there, he's perfectly serviceable as a recurring villain.

PApagreg
10-13-2016, 11:22 PM
It's not exactly criticism, though, is it? They served a role in the story. If they'd been any more of a threat to the Foot, then City Fall wouldn't have happened or at least not the way it did.

Shredder needed to steamroll over his criminal opposition on the way to the top spot to make things interesting, and the Turtles couldn't exactly have stood in for the Savate every single time both groups came into conflict without their continued survival against the Foot becoming too contrived.

The same can be said now for the Street Phantoms, they're just the right amount of a competent threat to keep the story moving forward, without overstaying their welcome. Now Darius, he's a whole 'nother story. Plenty of potential there, he's perfectly serviceable as a recurring villain.

Honestly my main problem with the Savate is that they weren't really a threat they got their asses handed to them in every turn if they put up more of a fight and then Shredder killed them then I would't really have a a problem with them but like I said they didn't really do much but get their asses kicked in the story they were pretty much fodder you can replace them with some generic mob and the story would've been the same

ChosenOne
10-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Honestly my main problem with the Savate is that they weren't really a threat they got their asses handed to them in every turn if they put up more of a fight and then Shredder killed them then I would't really have a a problem with them but like I said they didn't really do much but get their asses kicked in the story they were pretty much fodder you can replace them with some generic mob and the story would've been the same

Ah, but then if they'd been replaced by some other criminal group, they wouldn't be as sympathetic. I don't recall any instance of the Savate fighting the Turtles, but I do recall one scene early on where one of the brothers (Mikey?) wanted to intervene while they were watching a fight between the Foot and the Savate on a rooftop. I believe we were supposed to feel for them a little when they were slaughtered, even root for them when they challenged the Shredder, and the same likely wouldn't have been true of any other gang.

PApagreg
10-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Ah, but then if they'd been replaced by some other criminal group, they wouldn't be as sympathetic. I don't recall any instance of the Savate fighting the Turtles, but I do recall one scene early on where one of the brothers (Mikey?) wanted to intervene while they were watching a fight between the Foot and the Savate on a rooftop. I believe we were supposed to feel for them a little when they were slaughtered, even root for them when they challenged the Shredder, and the same likely wouldn't have been true of any other gang.

I don't know, we know nothing about them. We don't know whether or not they were better than Shredder or worse hell for all we know maybe they had strong ties with human Traffickers, if we knew more about them then yeah maybe I could feel sorry for them but since I know crap about them they are pretty much faceless goons. Which is a damn shame because the idea of a ninja cell originating in France could have a lot of potential

CyberCubed
10-14-2016, 01:02 AM
Which makes me wonder if the Street Phantoms will be wiped out in the next issue, or they'll live to see another day.

Wouldn't mind just Jammerhead surviving and escaping with Dun while the others are all killed or defeated. Jammerhead needs to go full cyborg like in the show.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Which makes me wonder if the Street Phantoms will be wiped out in the next issue, or they'll live to see another day.

Wouldn't mind just Jammerhead surviving and escaping with Dun while the others are all killed or defeated. Jammerhead needs to go full cyborg like in the show.

Cubed, not everything needs or deserves to be 100% faithfully adapted. Jammerhead isn't going full cyborg, Dun isn't a time-traveling Jones/O'Neil descendant. Nor should they be.

myconius
10-14-2016, 02:32 PM

aside from fabrice or victor i felt the savate to be fairly sympathetic characters.
the soldiers anyway.

i think that scene you were referencing was in issue #6?

the turtles witness 2 foot soldiers fighting 1 savate.
raph wants to help, but leo says they can't reveal themselves.
after the 2 foot soldiers overpower the 1 savate raph rushes in, but the foot vanish.
the turtles stay with the savate and try to get him help but it is too late.
before the savate dies he says in french that "war is coming".

but that one panel were the savate dies was very powerful.

myconius
10-14-2016, 02:37 PM

Cubed, not everything needs or deserves to be 100% faithfully adapted. Jammerhead isn't going full cyborg, Dun isn't a time-traveling Jones/O'Neil descendant. Nor should they be.

true! you can't just tell the exact same story every time in all different versions.

if that were the case then the Turtles would kill-off the Shredder the first night they meet him.

ChosenOne
10-14-2016, 03:18 PM
aside from fabrice or victor i felt the savate to be fairly sympathetic characters.
the soldiers anyway.

i think that scene you were referencing was in issue #6?

the turtles witness 2 foot soldiers fighting 1 savate.
raph wants to help, but leo says they can't reveal themselves.
after the 2 foot soldiers overpower the 1 savate raph rushes in, but the foot vanish.
the turtles stay with the savate and try to get him help but it is too late.
before the savate dies he says in french that "war is coming".

but that one panel were the savate dies was very powerful.

Yes indeed, you're exactly right. They absolutely felt like they were meant to be sympathetic characters all the way, and even if the named characters were fairly jerk-ish, at least they're not as bad as the Shredder in terms of the damage they could do to the city and its populace.

myconius
10-14-2016, 11:30 PM
Yes indeed, you're exactly right. They absolutely felt like they were meant to be sympathetic characters all the way, and even if the named characters were fairly jerk-ish, at least they're not as bad as the Shredder in terms of the damage they could do to the city and its populace.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who appreciated them. i actually thought they were pretty cool characters personally. it made it all the more upsetting to see them get wiped out. victor's death juxtaposed with Leonardo and his family's own execution.

spookycookies
10-15-2016, 01:46 AM
i'm glad i'm not the only one who appreciated them. i actually thought they were pretty cool characters personally. it made it all the more upsetting to see them get wiped out. victor's death juxtaposed with Leonardo and his family's own execution.

Yeah I was always a fan of the Savate and I honestly assumed that there was more to them then just being wiped out in City Fall but here we are. Figured that the named characters were at least important but then again all of the bank robbers in #33 had names...

ctt4lfecw
10-15-2016, 09:28 PM
I miss the Savate. It was nice to have another ninja clan. I wonder if the Ghost Boys are still around? Haven't seen them since R and B micro.

PApagreg
10-15-2016, 09:40 PM
I miss the Savate. It was nice to have another ninja clan. I wonder if the Ghost Boys are still around? Haven't seen them since R and B micro.

I wonder if their leader is a boy too
(Bad Scott Pilgrim Joke I know)

CyberCubed
10-15-2016, 10:05 PM

I'm guessing all these alternate gangs/clans only exist to be wiped out. There's also that Brazillian guy with the transformer like robots in the first Bebop/Rocksteady Destroy everything issue, and they were destroyed by Bebop/Rocksteady too.

The Foot Clan and the Purple Dragons are usually the only two who survive, and the Purple Dragons work for the Foot Clan anyway.

myconius
10-16-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm guessing all these alternate gangs/clans only exist to be wiped out.

that might be a bit of an oversimplification of the supporting cast, i think?

it's almost like saying the turtle only exist just to save the day.

myconius
10-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Yeah I was always a fan of the Savate and I honestly assumed that there was more to them then just being wiped out in City Fall but here we are. Figured that the named characters were at least important but then again all of the bank robbers in #33 had names...

(checks issue #33) yeah you're right!!! :D
but those guys weren't nearly as cool and the Savate though. :)
and there COULD maybe be another branch of the Savate somewhere? like it was only the NY branch in the U.S. that was totally wiped out.
i'm not gonna hold my breath or anything, but it's a nice idea.

PApagreg
10-16-2016, 09:53 PM
and there COULD maybe be another branch of the Savate somewhere? like it was only the NY branch in the U.S. that was totally wiped out.

Honestly it would've been cooler if the Foot/ The turtles went up against The Warriors

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qS0WVmcpS3w/VMhmZLemXyI/AAAAAAAAvCw/tmAOAhqEaaA/s1600/sttorm%3F.jpg

myconius
10-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Honestly it would've been cooler if the Foot/ The turtles went up against The Warriors

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qS0WVmcpS3w/VMhmZLemXyI/AAAAAAAAvCw/tmAOAhqEaaA/s1600/sttorm%3F.jpg

a homage to the Warriors would still be cool!

at least we did get the 49th street stompers in Mirage. :D

spookycookies
10-17-2016, 12:03 AM

At least we don't have to worry about Hob dealing with Heisenberg and getting his paws on that Blue Mutagen...:tlol:

ProphetofGanja
10-17-2016, 09:00 AM

somewhere in France, the head of the international branch of the Savate is informed that the NY chapter has been wiped out:

"Patron, we need to mount a counter-attack immediately!"

"But I am le tired!"
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/960/end.jpg
:lol::lol::lol:

bushido
10-17-2016, 10:55 AM
somewhere in France, the head of the international branch of the Savate is informed that the NY chapter has been wiped out:

"But I am le tired!"

Quel est ton problème?

MikeandRaph87
10-17-2016, 10:58 AM
a homage to the Warriors would still be cool!

at least we did get the 49th street stompers in Mirage. :D

I would like to see Luther's group. The Warriors seemed more like a community watch type like Angel's version of the Purple Dragons. "Turtles!...Turtles! Come out to plaa-ay!"

Hob making a reference to Heisenburg though would fit. What other criminal groups would fit in for small cameos?

ProphetofGanja
10-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Quel est ton problème?

I just suddenly remembered a silly flash video from ebaumsworld like ten years ago

edit: damn, probably more like 13 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-17-2016, 11:03 AM
I would like to see Luther's group. The Warriors seemed more like a community watch type like Angel's version of the Purple Dragons. "Turtles!...Turtles! Come out to plaa-ay!"

Hob making a reference to Heisenburg though would fit. What other criminal groups would fit in for small cameos?

I'm disappointed Mateus didn't include Jesse or Mike while he was at it. Or Saul. :tlol:

ChosenOne
10-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Meh. The improbable notion of Walter being of any use in a fight against the Turtles kinda ruins that cameo for me when Shredder orders them all to attack.

Saul would just be overkill. Not to mention roadkill, when the dust settled.

Now Mike I could see...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-17-2016, 11:27 AM
Meh. The improbable notion of Walter being of any use in a fight against the Turtles kinda ruins that cameo for me when Shredder orders them all to attack.

Now Mike I could see...

Mike was a BAMF. Like, the legitimate Webster definition.

PApagreg
10-17-2016, 12:25 PM

Now Mike I could see...
How about the turtles versus Omar

myconius
10-17-2016, 02:05 PM

"But I am le tired!"

that is AWESOME!!!! :lol:

i think an episode of the Nick cartoon actually had Bebop taunting the turtles with- "turtles, come out to playyy-EE-yayyyyyy" :D

ProphetofGanja
10-17-2016, 02:23 PM

that's some classic throwback internet for you, right there, along with rubber johnny and a bunch of other weird videos

myconius
10-17-2016, 05:11 PM
that's some classic throwback internet for you, right there, along with rubber johnny and a bunch of other weird videos

what makes it even funnier is the Picasso style eyes on the man! :D

MikeandRaph87
10-17-2016, 08:35 PM

i think an episode of the Nick cartoon actually had Bebop taunting the turtles with- "turtles, come out to playyy-EE-yayyyyyy" :D

That is true and what made me think of the cameo with Luthur working in IDW.

MikeandRaph87
10-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Moriarty would have been a nice touch. Perhaps TMNT villains that could fit from other incarnations within situations like that. Big Louie and Bebop and Rocksteady's old gang either from season 1 or season 3/5 would have worked for example.

You know what I would like to see? A list of characters in IDW. I don't mean a source book, but a thread with a list of allies, enemies, and others.

PApagreg
10-19-2016, 01:23 PM
Moriarty would have been a nice touch. Perhaps TMNT villains that could fit from other incarnations within situations like that. Big Louie and Bebop and Rocksteady's old gang either from season 1 or season 3/5 would have worked for example.

You know what I would like to see? A list of characters in IDW. I don't mean a source book, but a thread with a list of allies, enemies, and others.

So like a TMNT IDW Encyclopedia

ToTheNines
10-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Man, Watcher is so awesome. I was getting so pumped at the beginning, those storyboards were epic. I really hope The Foot get to do some damage next month.

Not sure how I feel about the new Purple Dragons. We'll see how that goes, though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Man, Watcher is so awesome. I was getting so pumped at the beginning, those storyboards were epic. I really hope The Foot get to do some damage next month.

Not sure how I feel about the new Purple Dragons. We'll see how that goes, though.

How do you feel about the specific point of Casey taking them over? :twink:

ToTheNines
10-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I get the Hun parallel, and it's cool. Makes plenty of sense considering Splinter leads the Foot.

I just feel like the whole gang wearing hockey masks might have been a bit much, is all. You also gotta wonder how long it's actually going to last.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I get the Hun parallel, and it's cool. Makes plenty of sense considering Splinter leads the Foot.

I just feel like the whole gang wearing hockey masks might have been a bit much, is all. You also gotta wonder how long it's actually going to last.

I'm really really curious to see how far in Hun's footsteps Casey will follow. :tcool:

And for how long. I wonder how Angel will take this? Or April?

DrSpengler
10-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #63 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/10/tmnt-idw-63.html)

Harold's back story seems a little belated, especially when you realize he's been part of the book since close to the beginning. But he's been a fun character all this while and I'm glad we're starting to learn more about him. The intimidation sequence between him and Dun was my favorite part of the issue, particularly for Wachter's pencils (loved Harold's smugness and Meitner's irritation).

And the personalized Purple Dragon thematic hockey masks are pretty killer.

MikeandRaph87
10-21-2016, 08:43 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #63 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/10/tmnt-idw-63.html)

Harold's back story seems a little belated, especially when you realize he's been part of the book since close to the beginning. But he's been a fun character all this while and I'm glad we're starting to learn more about him. The intimidation sequence between him and Dun was my favorite part of the issue, particularly for Wachter's pencils (loved Harold's smugness and Meitner's irritation).

And the personalized Purple Dragon thematic hockey masks are pretty killer.

His snarky commentary and banter are welcome breaks from everything. Remember how Agent Bishop went a season and a half as a complete mystery until we got it in a cold open? Sometimes it takes time until the appropriate moment for the origin comes. At least we got Harold's backstory. Some never come. I am still upset we never got Rat King's backstory in TMNT 1987.

Technogeek29
01-27-2017, 06:35 AM
Anyone notice that the fight in the alley is a subtle reference to Issue 1 of Mirage?

myconius
01-27-2017, 07:14 AM
oh wow!! yeah!
look at the composition of each of those top two panels of page 15.

very cool find! :D