PDA

View Full Version : A few upcoming TMNT trades from IDW

John Pannozzi
10-09-2016, 12:50 PM
TMNT Universe vol. 1 will collect the first five issues of that series: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631408747/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1476037442&sr=1-28&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=idw+publishing

There's a deluxe hardcover of the TMNT/Ghostbusters crossover on the horizon:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631408739/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1476037442&sr=1-20&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=idw+publishing

Tea Time for a Turtle seems to be reprinting Amazing Adventures material: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631408860/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476037404&sr=1-5&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=idw+publishing

And TMNT Artisan Edition is reproducing the original art boards of TMNT vol. 1 #1: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631408976/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476037404&sr=1-1&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=idw+publishing#productDescription_seconda ry_view_div_1476037554536

The Fifth Turtle
10-09-2016, 01:05 PM
While I wish they'd stop with re releasing stuff that's already been collected and get to stuff like volume 3, I do have to say that I'm very intrigued about the issue 1 release.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Also Volume 16 of the ongoing, "Chasing Phantoms":

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Vol/dp/1631408593/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476040264&sr=8-1&keywords=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles+Volume+16+ch asing+phantoms

CyberCubed
10-09-2016, 02:40 PM
As of right now the only Mirage material still being collected is Tales of the TMNT. Volume 9 comes out in January:

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles/dp/1631406892/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476045551&sr=8-1&keywords=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles+tales+of+the +tmnt

Collects issues #26-30. Good that its a 5 issue trade.

Still Tales V. 2 lasted 70 issues so we're not even halfway through that series being collected.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-09-2016, 02:43 PM
They really need to get their people in gear and start reprinting Volumes 3 and 4. Half of "Tales Volume 2" sucks anyway. Go where the ongoing narrative is!

CyberCubed
10-09-2016, 02:44 PM
I imagine there has to be some sort of holdup with Image either due to rights (since Savage Dragon and a lot of Image superheroes crossover in it), or Viacom/Nick doesn't like it because its too violent.

Volume 4 is probably on the backburner because its not even finished yet, so IDW probably doesn't want to start collecting something yet that has no ending.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-09-2016, 02:59 PM
I imagine there has to be some sort of holdup with Image either due to rights (since Savage Dragon and a lot of Image superheroes crossover in it), or Viacom/Nick doesn't like it because its too violent.

I guess. We keep talking about it, somebody always has a newsflash that "Hey! Fosco is drawing covers!" and then nothing ever happens.

Volume 4 is probably on the backburner because its not even finished yet, so IDW probably doesn't want to start collecting something yet that has no ending.

But what about the money? Tell me 75% of all buyers AREN'T already aware that Laird will never finish the damn thing. :tlol: We'll buy it anyway.

DrSolarMOTA
10-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Artisan Edition (http://amzn.to/2e4JzPx)

Bobby,

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, or if you're even the right person to ask, but has there ever been any discussion of a TMNT Artist's Edition?

My personal interest would be an AE of volume 1, but I'm pretty sure that I've heard that most of the original art has been sold off over the years, thereby making such a book next-to-impossible to produce.

Thanks,

Greg
That's a good question, but not anything I've heard about. I do think finding the original pages would be pretty hard in this situation. It's interesting enough that I may just ask Scott Dunbier, who heads up those books.

I'm guessing that Scott or someone else at IDW liked my suggestion? Awesome!!

pferreira
10-13-2016, 08:32 AM
They really need to get their people in gear and start reprinting Volumes 3 and 4. Half of "Tales Volume 2" sucks anyway. Go where the ongoing narrative is!Well Volume 3 needs colouring and Volume 4 as Cybercubed said is incomplete. Anyway we're lucky to get these reprints, better this than nothing at all.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Well Volume 3 needs colouring and Volume 4 as Cybercubed said is incomplete. Anyway we're lucky to get these reprints, better this than nothing at all.

Volume 3 doesn't NEED coloring; some of us prefer B&W. But yeah, IDW would say it needs coloring.

Lots of TPBs collect comic runs that were never completed. I don't see the big deal here.

Powder
10-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Well Volume 3 needs colouring

No the hell it does not. It was drawn in a style meant to remain colorless, it's why there's so much spotting & contrast.

myconius
10-16-2016, 09:27 PM
TMNT Universe vol. 1 will collect the first five issues of that series: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631408747/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1476037442&sr=1-28&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=idw+publishing

Also Volume 16 of the ongoing, "Chasing Phantoms":

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Vol/dp/1631408593/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476040264&sr=8-1&keywords=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles+Volume+16+ch asing+phantoms

i actually just found and pre-ordered these today. :)
was going to make a post about it if no-one else had. but here they are. :D

Well Volume 3 needs colouring

i share the sentiment of everyone else that says ........ Nay.
the colored story for vol.3 in the 30th anniversary special looked nice but lacked the charm that vol. 3 had in B&W.
plus they'd just muck it up like they did with the coloring they did for Color Classics vol 3!!
green turtles with pure white bottom lips!!!! :x

And TMNT Artisan Edition is reproducing the original art boards of TMNT vol. 1 #1: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631408976/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476037404&sr=1-1&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=idw+publishing#productDescription_seconda ry_view_div_1476037554536

this i am very intrigued by!!! :D

myconius
10-18-2016, 07:04 PM
a few Trade Paperback pre-order prices dropped.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe, Vol. 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631408747/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Vol. 16: Chasing Phantoms

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631408593/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they went from $19.99 down to $12.52

Mormegil
10-19-2016, 05:48 AM
a few Trade Paperback pre-order prices dropped.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe, Vol. 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631408747/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Vol. 16: Chasing Phantoms

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631408593/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they went from $19.99 down to $12.52

I'm surprised to see the price of Vol. 16 drop so low. 15 never did that and i watched it on my wishlist since they first put it up there. even now its hardly below MSRP.

myconius
10-19-2016, 07:31 AM
I'm surprised to see the price of Vol. 16 drop so low. 15 never did that and i watched it on my wishlist since they first put it up there. even now its hardly below MSRP.

vol. 15 has some very beautiful Mateus art, so that's a high selling point as is the inclusion of Leatherhead.

trust me though, it's WELL worth it even at standard MSRP! :D

Mormegil
10-19-2016, 10:18 AM
vol. 15 has some very beautiful Mateus art, so that's a high selling point as is the inclusion of Leatherhead.

trust me though, it's WELL worth it even at standard MSRP! :D

I agree with that! I have the single issues. I was saying its weird how some volumes go for a lot less than others.

myconius
10-19-2016, 11:11 AM
I agree with that! I have the single issues. I was saying its weird how some volumes go for a lot less than others.

even though i buy all the Single issues of the series i always pre-order the trades as soon as they come available.
i don't know if i've ever seen such a pre-order deal such as this Chasing Phantoms? especially since it contains 5 issues!

Andrew NDB
10-19-2016, 11:17 AM

Nick is the holdup, not IDW. For whatever reasons. Reasons, though, that could probably be... educatedly speculated on given the holdups/snags in collecting other TMNT material in recent history.

Plus skipping volume 3 while its being held up with Nick to start collecting 4 with the idea of one day, hopefully when/if Nick gives the green light to then go back and retroactively collect 3 after 4... probably just seems tedious.

Come to think of it, it's a little bit sad to look back and realize that neither volume 2, volume 3 (beyond the finisher I put together), or volume 4 were ever actually finished.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Nick is the holdup, not IDW. For whatever reasons. Reasons, though, that could probably be... educatedly speculated on given the holdups/snags in collecting other TMNT material in recent history.

Plus skipping volume 3 while its being held up with Nick to start collecting 4 with the idea of one day, hopefully when/if Nick gives the green light to then go back and retroactively collect 3 after 4... probably just seems tedious.

Come to think of it, it's a little bit sad to look back and realize that neither volume 2, volume 3 (beyond the finisher I put together), or volume 4 were ever actually finished.

I know; old-school TMNT has a TERRIBLE track record after "City at War."

Andrew NDB
10-19-2016, 11:32 AM
I know; old-school TMNT has a TERRIBLE track record after "City at War."

Technically we could even lump in Archie TMNT as never being finished. Hell, even Dreamwave.

In fact, Mirage TMNT Vol. 1 remains the one volume of TMNT in any universe that's concluded as intended.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Technically we could even lump in Archie TMNT as never being finished. Hell, even Dreamwave.

In fact, Mirage TMNT Vol. 1 remains the one volume of TMNT in any universe that's concluded as intended.

Eesh, that's right. Forever War never happened. And Dreamwave was just an pathetic mess, God rest its soul. It had, what, all of six issues? Seven at the most?

myconius
10-19-2016, 11:44 AM

at least Mirage vol 2 had it's cobbled together rushed ending.

pferreira
10-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Volume 3 doesn't NEED coloring; some of us prefer B&W. But yeah, IDW would say it needs coloring.

Some of us prefer colour. :D

No the hell it does not. It was drawn in a style meant to remain colorless, it's why there's so much spotting & contrast.Hey I'm just thinking what IDW might be thinking. They have re-coloured Volume 1 and Volume 2 was already in colour.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Hey I'm just thinking what IDW might be thinking. They have re-coloured Volume 1 and Volume 2 was already in colour.

Yup, understood.

myconius
10-20-2016, 04:03 PM

color can be good if done with care.

i own all 3 volumes of the Tmnt color classics and i can tell you the coloring is lazy and messy.

some of it looks decent, but there are too many glaring errors throughout to justify coloring comics that were originally intended to be printed in B&W.

slashpieturtlemix
10-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Ugh. More tmnt books I need in my life lol I am still four books behind on idw but this is still a good start in my book.

pferreira
10-27-2016, 08:44 AM
color can be good if done with care.

i own all 3 volumes of the Tmnt color classics and i can tell you the coloring is lazy and messy.

some of it looks decent, but there are too many glaring errors throughout to justify coloring comics that were originally intended to be printed in B&W.I'm interested to know how you guys feel about the colour trade reprints done in the late 80s/early 90s, how they stand up next to IDW's ones. The Book II trade paperback was my introduction to Mirage and I liked how the colour was handled.

Powder
10-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Old ones > new ones

The new stuff is riddled with inexcusable errors.

myconius
10-27-2016, 04:59 PM
I'm interested to know how you guys feel about the colour trade reprints done in the late 80s/early 90s, how they stand up next to IDW's ones. The Book II trade paperback was my introduction to Mirage and I liked how the colour was handled.

the original 1-4 TPB by 'First Comics' have much better coloring than the IDW Color Classics/The Works .

http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/020/020d123d-a163-47df-a839-a1d3b7cb0494.jpg http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/books/first04.jpg

the only drawback to the original 4 trades is they stopped at issue 11.

The Fifth Turtle
10-29-2016, 06:45 AM
Just an FYI but Amazon has updated all of these product listings with photos of the covers. The artisan addition looks fantastic:

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Artisan/dp/1631408976/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1631408976&pd_rd_r=EB6XMP1CVE63CWEFTESE&pd_rd_w=Pl28A&pd_rd_wg=080vR&psc=1&refRID=EB6XMP1CVE63CWEFTESE

myconius
10-29-2016, 07:16 AM
Just an FYI but Amazon has updated all of these product listings with photos of the covers. The artisan addition looks fantastic:

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Artisan/dp/1631408976/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1631408976&pd_rd_r=EB6XMP1CVE63CWEFTESE&pd_rd_w=Pl28A&pd_rd_wg=080vR&psc=1&refRID=EB6XMP1CVE63CWEFTESE

the artisan does look incredible!!
took me a bit to come around but i had to plunk down the pre-order! :)

i just wish it had the page size dimensions.
hopefully it'll be a 1:1 ratio to the original art?

pferreira
11-03-2016, 11:56 AM
the original 1-4 TPB by 'First Comics' have much better coloring than the IDW Color Classics/The Works .

http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/020/020d123d-a163-47df-a839-a1d3b7cb0494.jpg http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/books/first04.jpg

the only drawback to the original 4 trades is they stopped at issue 11.I can't remember the name of the publisher in the UK, I'm sure it was just a port of First Comics ones. But that's good to know. I suppose considering it was only the first eleven issues there was less room for errors. Maybe they should have used First Comics trades as a basis for the first patch of reprints? Just to add I know Asterix fans weren't too happy with the remastering of the Asterix books. They changed a lot of the fonts in places.

myconius
11-03-2016, 06:25 PM
I can't remember the name of the publisher in the UK, I'm sure it was just a port of First Comics ones. But that's good to know. I suppose considering it was only the first eleven issues there was less room for errors. Maybe they should have used First Comics trades as a basis for the first patch of reprints? Just to add I know Asterix fans weren't too happy with the remastering of the Asterix books. They changed a lot of the fonts in places.

you're welcome :)

one thing i should add about the 'First Comics' TPB collections -
along with issues 1-11 it also included the Leonardo One-Shot that led directly into issue #10.
unfortunately it didn't include any of the One-Shots for the other Turtles.
i figured they might have at least included Raph's as well since that was Casey Jones first appearance?
i really wish they'd also have done a Tpb for issues #19-21 'Return to NY'

it's a mixed bag really since there's good and bad about both series.

pferreira
11-10-2016, 08:35 AM
you're welcome :)

one thing i should add about the 'First Comics' TPB collections -
along with issues 1-11 it also included the Leonardo One-Shot that led directly into issue #10.
unfortunately it didn't include any of the One-Shots for the other Turtles.
i figured they might have at least included Raph's as well since that was Casey Jones first appearance?
i really wish they'd also have done a Tpb for issues #19-21 'Return to NY'

it's a mixed bag really since there's good and bad about both series.Yeah I really need to start reading the properly all the way through. I think with the first eleven I'll use the First Comics trades as you guys feel the colouring is better. I certainly didn't have a problem with Volume 2 of the First Comics reprints. EDIT: After some research the UK editions were published by Penguin Books. Apparently the colouring for the original reprints was done by Steve Lavigne, not sure if that's a good or bad thing among fans.

myconius
11-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Yeah I really need to start reading the properly all the way through. I think with the first eleven I'll use the First Comics trades as you guys feel the colouring is better. I certainly didn't have a problem with Volume 2 of the First Comics reprints. EDIT: After some research the UK editions were published by Penguin Books. Apparently the colouring for the original reprints was done by Steve Lavigne, not sure if that's a good or bad thing among fans.

i know many people prefer to read comics in color, but the best way (at least for me) to enjoy the original Mirage stories in in their original B&W form.
the Ultimate B&W editions for me have been the best reprints since they printed all the Eastman and Laird issues. (micro-series and all)

even though that's how i prefer to read the OG Mirage it didn't stop me from re-hunting down the First Comics TPB as well as getting the color classics when they came out. :lol:

i say as long as you get to just read and enjoy the full story that's all that really matters. :)

RaphaelsIsolation
11-11-2016, 07:00 AM
It is always best to read any comic in the way it came out.

And if you're really picky, it's best to read them as issues too I guess. You get that feel. In a large book its fine, but you lose that speacial issue feel.

myconius
11-11-2016, 12:29 PM
It is always best to read any comic in the way it came out.

And if you're really picky, it's best to read them as issues too I guess. You get that feel. In a large book its fine, but you lose that speacial issue feel.

very true!

in any of the reproductions i find the duo-tome doesn't look as nice as it did in the original printed issues.
the integrity is at least close in the B&W trades that Mirage originally put out.

pferreira
11-17-2016, 08:32 AM
very true!

in any of the reproductions i find the duo-tome doesn't look as nice as it did in the original printed issues.
the integrity is at least close in the B&W trades that Mirage originally put out.For me the colour added so much detail and atmosphere to the original comics, then again I did grow up with the Penguin reprint. :lol:

myconius
11-19-2016, 09:44 AM
For me the colour added so much detail and atmosphere to the original comics, then again I did grow up with the Penguin reprint. :lol:

yeah, i can see that having an effect. :)

my first exposure to Ninja Turtles was buying my friends collection of Mirage single issues (various printings) 1-23.
my local comic store at the time didn't get the Mirage stuff in. so that's all i had.
but it definitely made an impression! :D

it wasn't till years later i hunted down the full run of 1-62. - - - - - (also various printings) :lol:

oldmanwinters
11-19-2016, 07:23 PM
The cover to TMNT Adventures Vol. 13 looks so funky!
https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Adventures/dp/1631408852/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479608520&sr=8-5&keywords=ninja+turtles+adventures

CyberCubed
11-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Those covers have looked like fanart for a while. Looks like something you'd see on deviantart.

myconius
11-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Those covers have looked like fanart for a while. Looks like something you'd see on deviantart.

in order to get the full DA experience, the Turtles would have to be groping one another. :lol:

pferreira
11-24-2016, 08:40 AM
yeah, i can see that having an effect. :)

I wouldn't have it any other way though. :)