PDA

View Full Version : A company over Playmates?

thundermaster612
10-11-2016, 03:29 PM
With Playmates becoming worse and worse now, what toy company would you rather see make TMNT stuff than them? There has been light conversation about this around this section but no real thread. I'd like to see what others think. I might go for Bandai but I'm not sure about that.

Andrew NDB
10-11-2016, 03:30 PM
With Playmates becoming worse and worse now, what toy company would you rather see make TMNT stuff than them?

I dunno... who do the 5 year-olds these days like their toys made by?

Candy Kappa
10-11-2016, 04:05 PM
All in all Playmates is probably the best fit for TMNT, despite the current lack of quality and other issues. But their iron grip on the license creating a near monopoly on the brand hindering other companies that could take up the slack when it comes to collector figures, is annoying. Especially when it's clear playmates don't give a damn about collector lines, which is obvious by heir half-assed Classics series.

useasneeded4pain
10-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Honestly, I'm happy with how things have turned out this year with NECA, Figuarts, and Mondo all making different collector-grade figures. Playmates' collector stuff have been highly disappointed so far, so I don't care if they ever make something else for collectors. It looks like NECA is just getting started, and Figuarts stuff looks pretty cool, so I'm happy with those (and they're expensive enough).

Andrew NDB
10-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Especially when it's clear playmates don't give a damn about collector lines, which is obvious by heir half-assed Classics series.

Yeah, it's tough one. Make untold millions making fairly simple toys for these...

http://parentsavvy.com/uploads/Image/Kids/iStock_000005393464XSmall.jpg

... or a fraction of that trying to make more intricate, adult toys for these...

https://longawkwardpause.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/bye-bye-hipster.jpg

Autbot_Benz
10-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Just let NECA make 7 inch figures and Playmates can keep the license and make crappy happy meal toys for the kids and NECA can do collector stuff.

Playmates is making toys for the Voltron Netflix show too.

Powder
10-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Jakks has really been stepping up their Pokemon figures lately (like the human protagonists for example) so maybe them? Their giant sized Leo & Mikey are very series-accurate, that's something. Diamond's stuff seems good, & Funko has been making more regular action figure styled toys in recent years. There are options. I dunno, I don't collect any western toys other than TMNT, so I'm not terribly familiar with the output of companies like Mattel, Hasbro, etc. They all have their pluses & minuses, from what I hear/read.

I go mostly for the collector grade stuff, so my wants are mainly with overseas companies like Bandai & Goodsmile. Thing is, they don't often do huge waves of characters, though Figuarts has some exceptions, like their large collection of DBZ figures.

Huzzah
10-11-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm honestly okay with Playmates maintaining their toy rights, provided they deal in the current cartoon or movies, I'd just want them to loosen their grip that prevents other companies from creating 6/7 inch collectors lines seeing as Playmates version of collector's figures are jokes. NECA being the obvious choice to bring comic book versions of the characters to plastic.

hitmonkey
10-11-2016, 05:20 PM
I'd much rather see the license with Ban Dai. They've been doing an awesome job at releasing consistent quality kids and collector lines for Power Rangers simultaneously. Their kids figures and roleplay gear are awesome and really have a lot of play value for a kid, and their collector releases like the Legacy Zords, Morphers, and 6" action figures are top notch.