PDA

View Full Version : Real Life TMNT Related locations in Northampton, MA

TriceratonZog
10-12-2016, 02:44 PM
I'm heading from Dallas to the Shellback Artworks closing in Maine this weekend and aside from a couple NYC trips, this is my first time up in the northeast so I’m also taking the opportunity to visit the Turtles Holy Land of Northampton, Mass! :tsmile:

I’ve been rereading the old comics that take place there to keep an eye out, but if anyone has tracked down real places inserted in the Turtles exploits and places pivotal to Mirage's history I'd love some tips.

I’m especially wondering if the Farmhouse was based on any specific real life counterpart,
thus far the rest of my list consists of:

(Former site of) Eastman’s Words & Pictures Museum
140 Main St. Northampton, MA 01060

The Original Mirage Studios / Residence
(From the end of credits scene in the Turtle Power Doc it looks to now be an open lot)
56 Main St. Northampton, MA 01060

The Hotel Northampton (Shown in V1 #14 When Casey is looking for the stolen Brass Bull)
36 King St, Northampton, MA 01060

funatic
10-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Just saw this - hope you havn't visited yet as I've lived in Northampton for 6 years and can give you a few more:

Mirage Studios
16 Market St
Not sure if this is the exact address. It's a big red brick building and last I checked had a teeny turtle-head Mirage logo on the ground level door. This is the last building to serve as Mirage Studios and I believe they still own the space for storage of comics/memorabilia and a couple former Mirage artists may still rent studio space there. They unfortunately don't offer regular tours (though maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask Dan Berger at dan@miragelicensing.com). I've gone in the lobby a few times to pick up art from Dan or Katie. They had a few posters on the wall and a set of the statues but that was many years ago.

Intersection of Main & King
Stand at the corner in front of Silverscape Designs (or if you're ballsy enough find a way to climb onto its roof!) for a similar perspective to the splash page panel from #11 when the turtles arrive in Noho http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/volume01/11/1102.gif

The Bluebonnet Diner
324 King St
Go a mile or two down King Street from The Hotel Northampton and you'll find the diner where April worked in #14!

Second Time Around
34 Pleasant St
This is actually a chain consignment store that popped up a few years ago, NOT the original inspiration for April's antique shop - but hey, it's got the name and it's in Northampton, so, worth the mention. There's actually an old antique shop across the street from Mirage Studios on Market too that could have been the literal inspiration?

Turtle(ish) Mural
allyway on ~21 Pleasant St
Somewhat across the street from Second Time Around there's an ally between a boba tea and music shop that has some very abstract homages to the turtles, rather than attempt to describe them I'll let you be surprised. There used to be a Fred Wolf style depiction on a wall in the Thornes Marketplace but sadly they painted over that a few years back.

Norwottuck Rail Trail Bridge
off Damon Rd, next to where Rt 9 crosses the Connecticut River
About 5 min out of town, I believe this bikepath bridge was featured in #28 "Sons of the Silent Age," where the turtles did some reflection (metaphorical and literal)

The Quabbin Resevoir
485 Ware Rd
Belchertown, MA 01007
About a 30 min drive from Northampton, the Quabbin was featured as a campsite for the turtles in Tales v2 #45 "Rocks" [http://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/talesvol2/45/45.html]

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting (i.e. I think there's an Ice Cream place somewhere that has a big cow on top which could have been further inspiration for #14 but can't remoomber where it is anymore). Not sure on the farmhouse. Anyway, that's a decent list to go from. Make sure to check out the local Comic Shops in Northampton (Modern Myths & Newbury Comics) & Easthampton (Comics N' More) while you're here! Have a happy time in the Happy Valley!

jestergoblin
10-19-2016, 12:21 PM
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting (i.e. I think there's an Ice Cream place somewhere that has a big cow on top which could have been further inspiration for #14 but can't remoomber where it is anymore). Not sure on the farmhouse. Anyway, that's a decent list to go from. Make sure to check out the local Comic Shops in Northampton (Modern Myths & Newbury Comics) & Easthampton (Comics N' More) while you're here! Have a happy time in the Happy Valley!

The cow is actually up in Gorham, Maine - it was near where Eastman grew up. It's a store called Nicely's. It's undergone major renovations over the years, but the cow is still there.

http://i.imgur.com/mlsYVxn.png

Steve Lavigne confirmed it on Facebook for me last year.

funatic
10-19-2016, 04:58 PM
The cow is actually up in Gorham, Maine - it was near where Eastman grew up. It's a store called Nicely's. It's undergone major renovations over the years, but the cow is still there.

Nice(ly's)!

TriceratonZog
10-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Just saw this - hope you havn't visited yet as I've lived in Northampton for 6 years and can give you a few more:

Thank you much for the responses! Funatic, unfortunately I didn't see your response til I had left Northampton, but I did find the current Mirage office and Bluebonnet Diner on my own, and also noticed that same 'Second Time Around' store- pretty crazy naming coincidence!

I was only in Noho the one night but I loved it and hope to go back when I have more time to explore and enjoy it so hopefully I will be able to fully utilize your list then.

TriceratonZog
10-19-2016, 11:13 PM

This was driving me crazy, thanks for the info!
We stayed in the Hotel Noho our one night in town and this antique "Grab the Bull by the Horns game" was tucked into a corner by the back stairs, I was starting to wonder if that had been there for 25+ years was somehow the spark for the idea of the brass cow.

funatic
10-20-2016, 01:41 AM
Thank you much for the responses! Funatic, unfortunately I didn't see your response til I had left Northampton, but I did find the current Mirage office and Bluebonnet Diner on my own, and also noticed that same 'Second Time Around' store- pretty crazy naming coincidence!

I was only in Noho the one night but I loved it and hope to go back when I have more time to explore and enjoy it so hopefully I will be able to fully utilize your list then.

You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed yourself!