PDA

View Full Version : Should You Get Original Artwork Signed?

TMNTChris1980
10-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Soooo...

I have a page from Mirage TMNT Issue #5. I'm not sure if I should get it signed at the bottom or not.

I'm expecting that the Shellback signing Saturday may be Peter's final public appearance, since he doesn't do signings, except as a favor to Steve. So this may be my last chance to get it signed by Steve, Peter, and eventually Kevin.

So what do you guys think, sign it or don't sign it.

Bonus Question:

What's the best pen for sig's on duo-shade paper?

mrmaczaps
10-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Soooo...

I have a page from Mirage TMNT Issue #5. I'm not sure if I should get it signed at the bottom or not.

I'm expecting that the Shellback signing Saturday may be Peter's final public appearance, since he doesn't do signings, except as a favor to Steve. So this may be my last chance to get it signed by Steve, Peter, and eventually Kevin.

So what do you guys think, sign it or don't sign it.

Bonus Question:

What's the best pen for sig's on duo-shade paper?

I would have them sign it... but thats me. I'm just bringing 18 copies of TMNTU #1 blank... I don't expect mkre than 4 to get signed but I can always hope the line will be short, right? Lol

TMNTChris1980
10-13-2016, 10:25 PM
I would have them sign it... but thats me. I'm just bringing 18 copies of TMNTU #1 blank... I don't expect mkre than 4 to get signed but I can always hope the line will be short, right? Lol

Def, I wonder how crazy its going to be. I wonder if they'll have any cool art for sale.

mrmaczaps
10-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Def, I wonder how crazy its going to be. I wonder if they'll have any cool art for sale.

I was told at least two prints... limited/exclusive...

Powder
10-14-2016, 12:27 AM
I say go for it. I recently had Steven sign a piece he & Ryan Brown did in 1989. I was unsure about getting done at first, but I'm glad I did. It's so much cooler having that little extra nod of authenticity, plus it commemorates the experience of having met them.

drewizzle88
10-14-2016, 08:07 AM
If you plan on selling the page keep in mind not everyone likes autographs on the pages they buy. However if you're keeping it I say go for it. I love getting my things signed by the artists who worked on them. I also think we may not be seeing Peter again for any sort of public fan autographs so this is your chance. Have fun, I wish I could be there. :tsmile:

TMNTChris1980
10-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Cool, I'll probably get it signed. I need to ask Peter not to date his signature, I don't want 2016 on a page from the 80's.

I need to hit up Sofistocat and see what kind of pens he's used for get duo-shade stuff signed.

Sofistocat
10-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Ears were burning.... ha

DO NOT USE SHARPIES! The sigs bleed/degrade over time.

I use Sakura Archive pens, size 1, 08, or 05. Pretty much a standard for inking. The pens are sold at any craft store and are tan/beige.

P.S. Get the page signed, worst case they can sign the back. That's how some of my pages are. I'm not picky about sigs too much, just like getting pages signed.

Roseangelo
10-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Ears were burning.... ha

I use Sakura Archive pens, size 1, 08, or 05. Pretty much a standard for inking. The pens are sold at any craft store and are tan/beige.

P.S. Get the page signed, worst case they can sign the back. That's how some of my pages are. I'm not picky about sigs too much, just like getting pages signed.

I was going to emphasize the don't use Sharpies point. Not even because of the fading part, but because I think Sharpie signatures just don't do any favors to original art. I'd honestly go for ballpoint pen.

(The thing that makes me twitch most is seeing people getting their first print TMNT #1 signed on the front cover in gold Sharpie. WHY?)

June Bug
10-14-2016, 10:11 PM
I purchased this IDW #44 "death of Donatello" original art cover that was done by Cory Smith. I took it with me to Sac Con last year hoping to get it signed by Kevin. Kevin said he had no problem signing it but I ended up getting cold feet and didn't get it signed. Thinking that it might lower the value of it with Kevin's signature. Would Kevin's signature lower the value? I also have "cover B" for #44 that was never printed as a cover variant. My plan is to one day get them all framed as one piece. Any suggestions if I should get Kevin to sign the Cory Smith cover? Thank You

TMNTChris1980
10-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Ears were burning.... ha

HAHAHA, I was saying to Katie, that I wish I remembered t etxt you to ask you about what pens you used. Thanks dude! I'll swing by a Michael's tomorrow and grab a couple.

Powder
10-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Would Kevin's signature lower the value? I also have "cover B" for #44 that was never printed as a cover variant. My plan is to one day get them all framed as one piece. Any suggestions if I should get Kevin to sign the Cory Smith cover? Thank You

It's not Kevin's art, doesn't make sense to have him sign it. In my personal opinion, yes, it would lower the value. I would want Cory's signature, no-one else's. I myself have avoided making certain purchases based on the fact they were signed by someone who didn't participate in the items creation, I doubt I'm alone on that.

mrmaczaps
10-15-2016, 08:54 PM
It's not Kevin's art, doesn't make sense to have him sign it. In my personal opinion, yes, it would lower the value. I would want Cory's signature, no-one else's. I myself have avoided making certain purchases based on the fact they were signed by someone who didn't participate in the items creation, I doubt I'm alone on that.

Being that Kevin is co-creator of TMNT I really cannot imagine someone NOT wanting him to sign anything Turtles... but I guess thats me...

I had Peter Laird & Steve Lavigne both sign my NECA Mikey in the clamshell packaging... they didn't have anything to do with making the toy, but Peter co-created Mikey and Steve kind is Mikey as a personality...

Now, if it had been any other IDW artist and you wanted their signature, a different book is a must...

Powder
10-15-2016, 10:12 PM
A one of a kind & arguably historical piece of art, & toys that they made thousands of, are two very different things.

plastroncafe
10-15-2016, 11:39 PM
Cool, I'll probably get it signed. I need to ask Peter not to date his signature, I don't want 2016 on a page from the 80's.

I need to hit up Sofistocat and see what kind of pens he's used for get duo-shade stuff signed.

If I see something being passed off as Laird signed, but there isn't a year with his name, I assume the signature isn't real.

nellyp
10-16-2016, 07:51 AM
At least the NECA TMNT figures were based on those original Mirage comics so that has some merit. If you tried to get Peter to sign a Venus action figure from Next Mutation that would be a whole other story. :P

For art it I would say the person signing should have had a direct hand in its creation. The date would be good to have as it is a reminder of the event. If it is Peter's potential last signing that has significance and should be remembered.

TMNTChris1980
10-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Welp! I got it signed, and Pete was totally cool with not dating it. I have no problem if someone thinks the sig is a fake, because I'm never selling it, so when it is sold, I'll be long gone.

Anyway, here's how the sigs came out so far. Honestly, I really think the sigs add to the piece.

Can't wait to have Kevin sign it.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/TMNTChris1980/20161015_205656_zpsfha2yck5.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/TMNTChris1980/media/20161015_205656_zpsfha2yck5.jpg.html)

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a608/TMNTChris1980/20161015_205702_zpsnd7dzrek.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/TMNTChris1980/media/20161015_205702_zpsnd7dzrek.jpg.html)

MrPliggins
10-16-2016, 08:45 PM
That looks fine to me. i think signatures are fine as long as they don't draw too much attention away from the art itself. i have a few volume 1 pages signed in the margins by Eastman and Laird, similar to the look of these, and I agree that they add to the piece. Congrats and good luck with Kevin. Can you show the entire page with the signatures?

TMNTChris1980
10-16-2016, 10:52 PM
That looks fine to me. i think signatures are fine as long as they don't draw too much attention away from the art itself. i have a few volume 1 pages signed in the margins by Eastman and Laird, similar to the look of these, and I agree that they add to the piece. Congrats and good luck with Kevin. Can you show the entire page with the signatures?

Yeah, I can post a pic of the whole page. May not be for a little bit (one of my best friend's is getting married, one of my wife's best friend's is getting married, etc.), but I will post it.

d_osborn
10-17-2016, 01:12 PM
While I love having an artist's signature on OA from a historical stance, I want it from the time that they originally did the piece. I'm definitely in the "no added signatures" camp, but I can understand why you might dig having a piece signed.

I have a some original TMNT movie production ephemera-- a lot of which was signed by Eastman prior to me acquiring it. It's cool, but aside from older dated sigs, doesn't add a ton, IMHO. Some of it I just plain wish wasn't signed.

Andrew NDB
10-17-2016, 01:21 PM
I dunno... like, would it make any sense to have Kevin sign a random issue of Vol. 3? Or especially, an issue of Vol. 4? I dunno... I guess I could see an argument for it, but it intrinsically seems wrong to me.

TMNTChris1980
10-17-2016, 03:06 PM
I dunno... like, would it make any sense to have Kevin sign a random issue of Vol. 3? Or especially, an issue of Vol. 4? I dunno... I guess I could see an argument for it, but it intrinsically seems wrong to me.

Honestly, I think Kevin and Peter can sign any TMNT piece, and its okay. It doesn't matter if they were involved with it or not, it will always be (to me anyway) Eastman and Laird's TMNT.