PDA

View Full Version : Should you tip when you pick up carryout food?

Andrew NDB
10-14-2016, 04:12 PM
Like, if you call the teriyaki restaurant in advance, go there and pick up the food and leave... is it good etiquette still to tip? I put "0" in the tip field and I'm being told "of course you should" by others and that seems moronic to me.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-14-2016, 04:15 PM
I don't think so. The guy at the register expends no effort in going to the back to get your food.

TonySiegel
10-14-2016, 04:20 PM
when i worked at a restaurant i didn't expect tips but it was nice when people did even if they only went to carryout food...

you got a 16 dollar order and your cant tip me 1 or 2 bucks when your paying with a 20$ bill?

cheap muthaf....!

granted I was a kid back then...

but nowadays I say if you carryout and have suntin extra that you can spare, hit them off with a tip...

Candy Kappa
10-14-2016, 04:31 PM
If drive-tru workers in America are paid as ****** as waiters, you should tip.

plastroncafe
10-14-2016, 04:40 PM
I honestly don't know.
I know I usually tip a little something to the guy who runs my local sushi place, but I don't know that I tip at any other take-out style restaurant.

Andrew NDB
10-14-2016, 04:55 PM
If drive-tru workers in America are paid as ****** as waiters, you should tip.

Well, in Washington, there is no special "waiter" wage that's less than minimum wage... everyone is paid minimum wage, period. So the "paid in tips" thing doesn't apply here.

Powder
10-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Hell nah, dude.

sdp
10-14-2016, 06:03 PM
No. Why would you, only those crazy people who tip 10% when they get bad service do.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-14-2016, 06:19 PM
I can say that tips are not expected, but generally are accepted in carryout places. And that person who brings it to you might have also helped prepare it so yes there IS effort involved on their part. Especially in pizza places where order takers and cashiers are also part of the make staff.

mrmaczaps
10-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Take out should not require a tip.

My fav pizza place has teo or three tip cups at the order counter... I don't ever recall tipping... flirting with the cute single ladies, yes. Tipping no. I honestly would never work a job thay DIDN'T pay me a fair wage and relied on tips or incentives to really make money. Thats horsepocky.

Cure
10-14-2016, 08:08 PM
I do, I don't mind.

Roseangelo
10-14-2016, 08:34 PM
I just picked up pizza from Pizza Hut tonight and there was a tip line when I signed the credit card slip. I put $0.

Jephael
10-14-2016, 08:57 PM
My dad insists on tipping generously, which I must admit I kind of agree on, and when I have disposable income I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for good service.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Take out should not require a tip.

My fav pizza place has teo or three tip cups at the order counter... I don't ever recall tipping... flirting with the cute single ladies, yes. Tipping no. I honestly would never work a job thay DIDN'T pay me a fair wage and relied on tips or incentives to really make money. Thats horsepocky.

It isn't required, but it IS considered a sign of appreciation for good service just as if it were a delivery. Most places that do take out pay minimum(at least in my state) but tips are still greatly appreciated when given.

Bry
10-14-2016, 09:25 PM
I do sometimes. Not as much as with sit-down dining, but I'll often give a little something extra if it's an option. I don't know much about the restaurant business, but I hear that a lot of places share the tips with the kitchen staff and it doesn't just go to the servers/cashiers. If that's the case, the cooks deserve a tip just as much for take-out as they do for customers eating in.

Well, in Washington, there is no special "waiter" wage that's less than minimum wage... everyone is paid minimum wage, period. So the "paid in tips" thing doesn't apply here.

I think the same's true in Canada, which is better, but at the same time nobody's getting ahead (or even by) on minimum wage these days.

Allio
10-14-2016, 11:13 PM
I'd say a dollar and what ever change

Katie
10-15-2016, 01:09 PM
If the service is good I usually tip.

Wildcat
10-16-2016, 03:51 AM
No. You're the one who went to pick it up. If you want just as a nice gesture that's fine but it should not be expected.

Once the pizza delivery guy right out asked me for a tip at the door. I was not the one paying for the food so I told him I couldn't. Sometimes we do.

I just found it funny he actually came out and asked. I wouldn't. If they didn't say keep the change I would assume they wanted it back.

It's so awkward to ask for a tip imo. It's embarrassing for both people if you can't.

Wingnut
10-17-2016, 11:57 PM
If it's carry-out and they have a tip jar, I'll float them a couple bucks.

The cooks should/might get a cut of the jar money.

ProactiveMan
10-18-2016, 08:19 AM
You guys and your tipping. It's a wonder you don't all have back problems from carrying the huge wads of cash it must take to get through an average day.

justforapic
11-02-2016, 01:50 AM
Like, if you call the teriyaki restaurant in advance, go there and pick up the food and leave... is it good etiquette still to tip? I put "0" in the tip field and I'm being told "of course you should" by others and that seems moronic to me.

It might be a good idea to tip. My family orders take out food, but I don't know if they tip or not.

Iroh
11-02-2016, 10:28 AM
It depends on the service and the quality of food. If you have been going to the same place for years then yes, place a tip. If not, no. I have been going to a place for years where I have established a relationship with the workers. Speaking Mandarin with them as well. They are worthy of my tips because they know my usual cuisine.:D