PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Universe #3 Preview & Discussion

AlZarkovski
10-19-2016, 03:50 AM
Full preview soon. First look:

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple71/v4/2e/cd/80/2ecd8012-fea1-0489-6fd8-cccdd1cfc6f3/screen480x480.jpeghttp://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple71/v4/9b/7a/9b/9b7a9b33-0f38-35eb-76c1-803644cb31e2/screen480x480.jpeghttp://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple71/v4/ae/42/63/ae426364-554f-99ed-2684-be4b93cfcf26/screen480x480.jpeg

ProphetofGanja
10-19-2016, 07:36 AM
I can't read half the dialogue but that's some pretty sweet action

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Yay, Donnie's finally getting back in the action!

AlZarkovski
10-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Full preview:

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_2560/public/Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_7.59.46_PM.png

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_8.00.16_PM.png

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_8.00.46_PM.png

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_8.01.14_PM.png

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_8.01.38_PM.png

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_8.01.58_PM.png

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/width_1280/public/Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_8.02.35_PM.png

ChosenOne
10-21-2016, 04:55 PM
As I was reading that preview, I suddenly got a bit worried that Zodi might turn out to be just another Alopex in the long run. Hope I'm wrong.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Man, Alopex really did get turned into Tumblr furry bait, didn't she? :trazz:

Let's keep Zodi an antagonistic badass asshole, please. :tcool:

PaulAllor
10-21-2016, 09:21 PM
As I was reading that preview, I suddenly got a bit worried that Zodi might turn out to be just another Alopex in the long run. Hope I'm wrong.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

CyberCubed
10-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Zodi is probably going to be like Catwoman. An ambiguous character who helps out on occasion but is still mostly concerned with her own interests.

PApagreg
10-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Man, Alopex really did get turned into Tumblr furry bait, didn't she? :trazz:

Let's keep Zodi an antagonistic badass asshole, please. :tcool:

She's been furry bait for years now seriously furries love foxes

Technogeek29
10-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Y'know? This version of Raphael doesn't really lose his temper a lot. Sure he can be grumpy and sullen but his blind rage moments are only at 3 so far. I like that, most cartoons (save OT) always have him too angry.

Sabacooza
10-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Y'know? This version of Raphael doesn't really lose his temper a lot. Sure he can be grumpy and sullen but his blind rage moments are only at 3 so far. I like that most cartoons (save OT) always have him too angry.Yes, the current Nick show has him too angry or too much of a smartass like pretty much all the time. It's an over the top, beat you over the head caricature that's become annoying. Thank God for these comics and the IDW writers. I appreciate the amount of depth they've given him not to mention Mikey as well. Mikey isn't portaited as a moron. As a matter of fact he has a full gamut of emotions just like the rest and not once have I read any issue where Mikey came off as being annoying. That goes for all of IDW but Universe so far is also well done.

The Happy One
10-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Yes, the current Nick show has him too angry or too much of a smartass like pretty much all the time. It's an over the top, beat you over the head caricature that's become annoying. Thank God for these comics and the IDW writers. I appreciate the amount of depth they've given him not to mention Mikey as well. Mikey isn't portaited as a moron. As a matter of fact he has a full gamut of emotions just like the rest and not once have I read any issue where Mikey came off as being annoying. That goes for all of IDW but Universe so far is also well done.

Pretty much all of this.

I really, really, really like this Raph and, in general, IDW Raph. I love the portrayal of him being pretty much mellowed out- and he's been the voice of reason of several occasions. In the same way Mikey's allowed to have serious moments...all while holding that...purity he has. Idw by far is my favorite incarnation.

Joey Kamikaze
10-22-2016, 02:43 PM
She's been furry bait for years now seriously furries love foxes

Especially since Alopex comes across as a Ninjara expy and furries also seem to love Ninjara.

(Seeing Alopex as a Ninjara expy is not a complaint, btw. I think TMNTA showed "female fox humanoid who starts out bad, then joins the team and has a relationship with Raph" is a good addition to the mythos, but Ninjara herself would have been a bad fit in the modern book. Not many tribes of magical animal people in IDW so far. Alopex takes that basic role and fills it in a way that befits IDW.)

Far as Zodi goes... I like her so far. The concern about being "another Alopex" is an interesting problem though. If the similarity is just that she is an antagonistic female mutant, that isn't a problem. If she becomes another Raph foil long term... I say embrace the Catwoman vibe and make her poke at Leo's Batmanish serious side.

myconius
10-25-2016, 08:07 PM
tomorrow can't get here soon enough!!!!!! :D

i try my best to avoid the previews as i hate getting cut off just as it's getting good.
getting to the end of a comic and having to wait till next issue is frustrating enough. :lol:

Allio
10-25-2016, 09:08 PM
Zodi is pretty hot.

Ninjinister
10-25-2016, 11:06 PM
I feel like IDW Turtles have the most rounded personalities of any incarnation. Leo's not one-dimensional, Don's not some catch-all, omnipotent scientist, Mike isn't an utter joke, and Raph's not a constant raging asshole or ball of snark.

expy

dufuq...?

Vicky82
10-26-2016, 12:57 AM
I had a quick read before I left for work but Holy ****. :o

April getting shot in the arm when she jumped over to next building and seeing blood

It was a shocking moment as it's very rare to see April getting injured.

Utrommaniac
10-26-2016, 01:26 AM
About ****ing time we get something with a "literal" dragon, even if it's in a dream.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/Bat-Snake/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-26%20at%202.22.09%20AM_zpsddijpprf.png

The can opener is getting plugged in, so that we might get some big ol' worms opened up on this whole dragon ordeal.

myconius
10-26-2016, 06:38 AM
i absolutely LOVED Baxter's dialog in this issue!!! :D

MikeandRaph87
10-26-2016, 07:10 AM
I had a quick read before I left for work but Holy ****. :o

April getting shot in the arm when she jumped over to next building and seeing blood

It was a shocking moment as it's very rare to see April getting injured.

You all must be getting this digitally. I have to wait another 4 hours to read it!:(

Will this little detail lead Casey Jones back to April? IDW has a tendency of the little things playing off later on.

myconius
10-26-2016, 07:33 AM
You all must be getting this digitally. I have to wait another 4 hours to read it!:(

yeah, Comixolgy sent me notice that my book was ready to read early this morning.
i'm still picking up my physical copy later today though.

Vicky82
10-26-2016, 07:35 AM

Will this little detail lead Casey Jones back to April? IDW has a tendency of the little things playing off later on.

Yeah I use I Tunes.

Yeah maybe, I guess she's going to contact Casey for help.

myconius
10-26-2016, 07:35 AM
i really feel like in the back-up story, Leo's mind is coming under attack just like it did in issue #23.

i really hope the appearance of the Shredder clones was some foreshadowing!!! :D

ProphetofGanja
10-26-2016, 12:24 PM
The writing and art in this issue were fantastic. The creative teams IDW puts together for all these different story arcs are always top shelf.

I loved that in the middle of Mikey's heartfelt speech to Raphael that there is a cut to Zodi standing there looking exasperated as Mikey says EXACTLY what she knew one of the Turtles would say, like "called it!" That was great, I actually laughed out loud. And it didn't take away from the seriousness of the conversation though, it just added to it. The IDW books have always been great about setting a tone while still being able to have fun

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Man, this is my favorite story-arc. It would make such a great movie. Fast action, snappy dialogue, real heart, and Bishop is UNHINGED. Seriously, that man is dangerous. He is definitely on the level of Oroku Saki and Krang.

"And do you STILL not know our names, Stockman?"

"Yes... I waited. It certainly wasn't a coincidence."

"Because... I'm April O'Neil." "Well, that certainly puts all of my concerns to rest." :tlol: :tlol: :tlol:

Bonus points for the Shredder worm clones in the back-up. And does Leo remember the Rat King now? Unclear!

So... what is Zodi's plan? How do the mutants get out of this siege?

CyberCubed
10-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Zodi really does remind me so much of Catwoman. I'm not sure if its a coincidence or not, but if this were a Batman story and Zodi was Catwoman she'd behave in almost the exact same way.

I also have to say its funny seeing Kara Lewis and April in the same story together, because they both have orange hair and look rather similar. Like if they were standing side by side they'd look almost identical besides clothing and a change in a ponytail set-up. :P

Some nice dialogue in this issue and its leading up to a nice conclusion. I also liked the Leo back-up.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Zodi really does remind me so much of Catwoman. I'm not sure if its a coincidence or not, but if this were a Batman story and Zodi was Catwoman she'd behave in almost the exact same way.

I also have to say its funny seeing Kara Lewis and April in the same story together, because they both have orange hair and look rather similar. Like if they were standing side by side they'd look almost identical besides clothing and a change in a ponytail set-up. :P

Some nice dialogue in this issue and its leading up to a nice conclusion. I also liked the Leo back-up.

One's wearing a badge and a bulletproof vest. :tcool:

But I never noticed the similarities until you pointed it out. :trazz:

PaulAllor
10-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Zodi really does remind me so much of Catwoman. I'm not sure if its a coincidence or not

(it is a coincidence)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-26-2016, 03:48 PM
(...it is)

I haven't enjoyed a new mutant this much since Herman the Hermit Crab. Thanks, Paul!

PApagreg
10-26-2016, 03:56 PM
I also have to say its funny seeing Kara Lewis and April in the same story together, because they both have orange hair and look rather similar.

I was kind've confused at that point, I thought April tried to disguise as a cop.

Ninjinister
10-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Dudes April was badass. My favorite non-emotional April moment of any incarnation.

DrSpengler
10-26-2016, 06:15 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #3 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/10/tmnt-universe-3.html)

April was great in this issue, and has been through the whole arc so far. Her pragmatic and calculating method of getting through danger and gambling with her odds, it reminds me of how she was written in the April Micro-Series a few years ago. I'd been waiting to see THAT April make a comeback. I'm not disappointed!

Redeemer
10-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Dudes April was badass. My favorite non-emotional April moment of any incarnation.

Definitely a awesome moment for April. Its kind funny April showed her inner tough guy and Raph showed some emotion in this issue. Definitely a little character growth for both characters.

Technogeek29
10-27-2016, 01:46 AM
I would just like to add Stockman and April were the stars of this issue for me. Mikey pointed something funny, beyond their headbands and quirks Stockman really has no reason to know any of their names. :lol:

liugeaux
10-27-2016, 07:07 AM
"Where's the smart one, the one that does your machines." (I'm sure i'm bungling that quote a bit)

That line made me laugh out loud.

myconius
10-27-2016, 07:11 AM
"Where's the smart one, the one that does your machines." (I'm sure i'm bungling that quote a bit)

That line made me laugh out loud.

that line was very well done!!! :lol:

MikeandRaph87
10-27-2016, 12:47 PM
That was the quote of the issue. Just like Don's username Duz_Machines from the Donatello issue. A nod to the oddly worded theme lyric. Italso reminded me as to how no one can get Baxter Stockman's nmae right in the Nicktoon. Stockman knows who they are by their experiment numbers. :p That is a new one,one I would not of thought of and it was clever.

I do want to know what Agent Bishop's overall plan is and his goal. Is it aliens or mutants or aliens and mutants that he feels are a pest that will destroy the planet?

I also hope to see how the Earth protection Force and Dark Water fit under the government.

ctt4lfecw
10-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Great issue. Cool to see the Shredder clones in the backup.

MikeandRaph87
10-30-2016, 07:37 PM
When was this back supposed to take place? If its after the Alopex standalone issue you could argue its The Rat King trying to take Kitsune's influence Leonardo for himself.

DestronMirage22
11-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Hey, did anybody else notice that in the back up, when they showed the Shredder Elite, that in multiple panels they showed more than one clawed Shredder? The mini Shredder only showed up like in one panel, and in the rest of the group shots another clawed Shredder replaced him. I know that the back up is supposed to be like a dream sequence or something, but that was weird.
Just wanted to give my two cents about that :P.