PDA

View Full Version : NX official reveal 10:30am EST

CyberCubed
10-19-2016, 07:42 PM
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/788900063833493504

Be among the first to discover #NX. Watch the Preview Trailer at 7am PT/10am ET!

https://media.giphy.com/media/rzBUxFJm1EJ20/giphy.gif

https://i.imgur.com/7drHiqr.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1296861

HYPE HYPE

Cure
10-19-2016, 07:46 PM
I wish Krang banned neogaf like he did that Ninja Turtles site.

Spike Spiegel
10-19-2016, 07:50 PM
All I want is a Metroid launch title that's actually good.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-19-2016, 07:57 PM
Considering how poorly the Wii U was treated, purportedly to focus on NX development, this had better ****in' blow me away.

CyberCubed
10-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Its basically rumored to be a console and handled all in one. Basically replaces both the Wii-U and 3DS.

TonySiegel
10-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Tomorrow will be a glorious day!

Powder
10-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Holy guacamole! I was not expecting this.

Guess I'll be setting my alarm... :tlol:

Redeemer
10-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Holy guacamole! I was not expecting this.

Guess I'll be setting my alarm... :tlol:

Setting an alarm???? I won't be able to sleep!!!! :o

Powder
10-20-2016, 12:40 AM
It's only gonna be a 3 minute trailer, it seems. I'll just look forward to having something good to see when I wake up on my own. :tlol:

snake
10-20-2016, 03:43 AM
Can't wait. It's gonna be great.

TheBlueTurtle1
10-20-2016, 08:36 AM
25 mins to go!

TheBlueTurtle1
10-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Looks amazing. I need this in my life now!

Powder
10-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Well lads, the leaks were true. It's the hybrid console.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/789103913328709632

I'm all for it.

Cure
10-20-2016, 09:12 AM
f5uik5fgIaI

TheSkeletonMan939
10-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Not diggin' the apparently updated MK8 with King Boo. That had better be FREE DLC for the Wii U.

TheBlueTurtle1
10-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Not diggin' the apparently updated MK8 with King Boo. That had better be FREE DLC for the Wii U.

Hopefully there will be more characters, such as Diddy Kong. Also mean a high chance of a Smash bros port with added content, hopefully water down all the sh*tty Fireemblem and bayonetta characters.

Utrommaniac
10-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Easily lost parts: The console

But with that aside, it looks pretty cool. Probably more of a polished WiiU that can play DS games, but I might use it. If I could invest in it and had the time.

Powder
10-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Probably more of a polished WiiU that can play DS games

Uh, no? Switch games are cartridges.

Dat new Mario. Mmmm.

Ninjinister
10-20-2016, 09:24 AM
I'm down for this

This is a proof-of-concept trailer for the system. There's no confirmation everything in the video will even be a thing for the system.

turtlefanforever
10-20-2016, 09:41 AM
That thing is so f'n cool!

TonySiegel
10-20-2016, 10:03 AM
everyone online is hyped for the games they had running which are most likely just tech demos...

anyway I'm worried about this one... the detachable controllers look less comfortable than a wiimote...

it's gonna be tough for people to support this console once the initial hype wears off... (besides nintendo fans)

the call of duty and grand theft auto era is to strong...

*end pessimistic rant*

Spike Spiegel
10-20-2016, 10:46 AM
With all those moving parts, the level of inherent wear and tear might be kind of high. I can imagine kids breaking these quite easily.

I hope the price is more competitive than that of the first model of the 3DS.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-20-2016, 10:56 AM
I can imagine kids breaking these quite easily.

Or simply losing them in between the couch cushions.

So am I missing something or is designed for 2 players only?

Redeemer
10-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Or simply losing them in between the couch cushions.

So am I missing something or is designed for 2 players only?

I don't know if everyone saw, but it looked like they also had traditional controllers they could use so I imagine it is 4 player capable and I think it will reduce wear and tear on the detachable parts.

TigerClaw
10-20-2016, 12:16 PM
With the new Zelda coming out on both those consoles, I wonder on which console will it run better on.

CyberCubed
10-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Looks like its going to have a lot of Wii-U ports.

Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon were shown and they don't look like sequels to me, they'll probably be the Wii-U games. Zelda is also technically a port and they'll likely re-release Mario Maker and Smash U too.

Mario was the only new title shown.

TigerClaw
10-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Nintendo Switch is getting a ton of 3rd party support
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/789155375526260736

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvOkoK-UkAAt3Bc.jpg:small

Andrew NDB
10-20-2016, 01:40 PM
I guess it makes sense for kids that get stuffed into cars a lot, or something. I don't know that I'd ever want/need to play the latest Zelda game at stoplights in my car, or on the toilet.

sdp
10-20-2016, 03:37 PM
It's awesome and I'm hyped, I hope the "switch" is very smooth anywho can't wait to hear more about it but sadly as much as I love it I think it's a tough sell.

TurtleWA
10-20-2016, 03:52 PM
I hope this doesn't mean the end of the DS line and innovations with the portables. I have the new 3ds xl and love it.

Can't help but think of the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none."

But Switch has my attention and I look forward to learning more. I love Nintendo and will most likely purchase it.

Powder
10-20-2016, 05:25 PM
I don't know that I'd ever want/need to play the latest Zelda game on the toilet.

As someone with IBS, I know I do! :tlol:

Storm Eagle
10-20-2016, 05:34 PM
With the new Zelda coming out on both those consoles, I wonder on which console will it run better on.

I've been thinking I'd get it for the Switch, since it's portable. I'm kind of concerned about battery life though, as well as the detachable controllers since they do look rather small. They make me think of playing games on a Game Boy Micro.

TigerClaw
10-20-2016, 05:40 PM
I've been thinking I'd get it for the Switch, since it's portable. I'm kind of concerned about battery life though, as well as the detachable controllers since they do look rather small. They make me think of playing games on a Game Boy Micro.
My one concern is performance, The games have to at least run at 60fps at 1080p.

CyberCubed
10-20-2016, 05:59 PM
I hope this doesn't mean the end of the DS line and innovations with the portables. I have the new 3ds xl and love it.

It does. 3DS game development is coming to an end. You can tell Nintendo wants to merge their handheld and console lines together so all their development is on one console now.

TurtleWA
10-20-2016, 06:51 PM
It does. 3DS game development is coming to an end. You can tell Nintendo wants to merge their handheld and console lines together so all their development is on one console now.

Yeah looks to be heading that direction. But on second thought I think eliminating the hand held only branch would cost them money.

So I'm wondering how multi-player will work with this. Is it two players only unless others also have the system?

Growing up with the N64 it was so simple. One console, one cart, and four controllers. I'm old. :tconfuse:

CyberCubed
10-20-2016, 07:01 PM
The 3DS came out in 2011, by 2017 it'll have a 5 1/2 year run. That's pretty good.

Ninjinister
10-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Pooping is an adventure all unto itself. From long to short, I have no use to be accomplishing anything else whilst pooping.

What the Switch means for me, though, is a money saver. No more separate console purchases for home and on the go for Nintendo, no needing to keep up separate libraries, and I certainly hope that with the Nintendo Account system, I won't have to buy some of these Virtual Console games a fourth time.

Cure
10-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Pooping is an adventure all unto itself.

Yeah, this is one of the many internet jokes I don't get. What the hell do people be doing that they so desperately need something to occupy themselves in there? I dump ass, I wipe, I'm out. I don't have time for extracurriculars in there. If anything, wiping is the longest part and that takes up a whole hand.

Spike Spiegel
10-20-2016, 07:48 PM
What the Switch means for me, though, is a money saver. No more separate console purchases for home and on the go for Nintendo, no needing to keep up separate libraries, and I certainly hope that with the Nintendo Account system, I won't have to buy some of these Virtual Console games a fourth time.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/yesjacknicholson.gif

CyberCubed
10-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Yeah, originally it made sense for Nintendo to have both consoles and handhelds, simply because the handhelds were so far behind in power.

The Gameboy/Color was essentially a portable NES. Then the GBA came out in 2001 and breathe new life to 2D games, it was basically a sequel to the SNES while the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era was going so it was great. The DS was also a success because it had many unique and interesting portable games.

The 3DS on the other hand while it has a great lineup, made it obvious that the handheld games were too similar especially from Nintendo on 3DS and Wii U:

Mario 3D Land AND 3D World
Mario Kart 7 and 8
New Super Mario Bros 2 and U
Smash 3DS AND Smash U
Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends
Donkey Kong Country Returns was ported to 3DS
Xenoblade was ported to 3DS
Yoshi's Wooly world is now being ported to 3DS
Mario Maker is being ported to 3DS

Also some other games like Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kid Icarus would have been better suited as Wii-U games than on handhelds.

Wildcat
10-21-2016, 01:03 AM
It's pretty cool. I personally don't care much to play things on the go but it works anywhere. As long as the games are good that's all that matters to me.

Battery life is a good question. My iPad gets like 4-5 hours fully charged, basic browsing, light game usage. So this would have to go at least 10 hours on full charge imo but for heavy portable use maybe 12.

TMNT_Guy
10-21-2016, 10:28 AM
It's taken a decade, but I'm happy to see Nintendo "Switch" back to regular controls, no motion or touch screen controls in sight. Although nothing has officially been announced yet, it looks like it might not be backwards compatible with the Wii U. But I'm ok with that, just gives people a reason to keep their Wii U and I'll gladly sacrifice backwards compatibility for normal controls. I'm not crazy about how small the Joy-Con controllers are, but that's ok because I don't have to use them because a more traditional controller can be used instead.

It also makes power outages ruining your game progress a thing of the past due to it having it's own battery. Really looking forward to seeing more of that 3D Mario game. I really hope they go back to the Super Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy route with this one. The camera position gives it the old 3D Mario feel, but the levels look very linear...almost like a Crash Bandicoot level.

Storm Eagle
10-21-2016, 10:39 AM
It's taken a decade, but I'm happy to see Nintendo "Switch" back to regular controls, no motion or touch screen controls in sight. Although nothing has officially been announced yet, it looks like it might not be backwards compatible with the Wii U.

It's not. Nor is it with the 3DS.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_confirms_switch_isnt_physically_backwards _compatible_with_3ds_and_wii_u_software

Shiro Kame
10-21-2016, 11:58 AM
This system has no backwards compatibility with the Wii U and will not play 3DS games. I'm not complaining about the 3DS, but remember when I put up a thread asking if I should or should not get a Wii U? My main concern was if the new system had backwards compatibility. Thank goodness I got a Wii-U, because I would have ended up screwing myself over and not have been able to play those Wii-U titles I wanted.

Allio
10-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Well, that is disappointing about no backwards compatibility. Hopefully since wii-u sales were lacking, I hope for that rumored "Smash" port coming out, as well as they do something for the two Bayonetta games. BECAUSE I don't want to spend money on a new system for 3 games

CyberCubed
10-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Most likely the virtual console will continue on it for all old games. Although I wonder how they'll handle the second screen for DS and 3DS games.

sdp
10-21-2016, 03:49 PM
3DS will be kept awhile for the next 2 years or so to make sure that if the Switch fails like the Wii U they can counter-act with a new portable and if it's a success do away with the portables, similar to how the GBA was kept a live until the DS proved to be a successor, if it hadn't then there wouldn't been a new Game Boy to replace the failed DS "third pillar" approach.

Most likely the virtual console will continue on it for all old games. Although I wonder how they'll handle the second screen for DS and 3DS games.
Like the Wii U Does giving you different options and with the tablet controller it's easier than ever if you wnat to play it there since all you have to do is rotate the screen.
Well, that is disappointing about no backwards compatibility. Hopefully since wii-u sales were lacking, I hope for that rumored "Smash" port coming out, as well as they do something for the two Bayonetta games. BECAUSE I don't want to spend money on a new system for 3 games
I'm guessing Smash won't get a port, it's Nintendo's biggest game and they'll want to hype a new one instead of re-releasing a 2+ year old game. The other's might get a very similar version that is different enough to be called a new game.

CyberCubed
10-21-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm guessing Smas won't get a port, it's Nintendo's biggest game and they'll want to hype a new one instead of re-releasing a 2+ year old game. The other's might get a very similar version that is different enough to be called a new game.

Its already more or less rumored/confirmed Smash is getting a port by the same people who said Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Mario Maker were being ported.

It'll likely just be Smash U with all the DLC characters. However if we're really lucky we might get stuff like the Ice Climbers, maybe 2-3 new characters (still surprised the Inklings from Splatoon were not DLC), and maybe the levels from the 3DS version included.

Storm Eagle
10-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Most likely the virtual console will continue on it for all old games.

That's something I considered. I wanted to get the New 3DS (XL) so I can download some SNES games to be able to play them on the go. So maybe I'll just save myself the trouble and wait out the Switch for that.

TonySiegel
10-21-2016, 09:52 PM
really dislike the logo... especially on the system itself...

it looks so far off from their past logos...

i dunno...

the name is alright... not really feeling it...

will wait to see the games...

Wildcat
10-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Well no backwards compatibility is somewhat disappointing. I mean I guess it doesn't support discs so I understand no wii-u but it could definitely play 3DS.

It could just flip up horizontal with a split in the middle. It wouldn't be 3D (unless the screen is 3D) but I'm sure all DS games could run on it. Assuming the Carts/Cards are the same size and shape.

They could have made it BC if they really wanted too.

sdp
10-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Do you understand the technical aspects of backwards compatibility?

Cure
10-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I like when people think they just know better than the people whose job it is to build these things.

Andrew NDB
10-21-2016, 11:36 PM
As with most new systems that have no backwards compatibility I'm sure the urge is to get you to re-buy old games digitally on it.

I dunno if I trust Nintendo anymore. 1 new Mario game, 1 new Smash Bros game, and 1.5 new Zelda games per the life of a system, the last two systems, isn't quite enough to intrigue me. I don't care if I can bring the console into my car and get into an accident dinking around.

CyberCubed
10-21-2016, 11:47 PM
Makes you wonder what Nintendo will do if the Switch doesn't sell well.

The Wii-U only sold 13 million consoles to date after 4 years. For reference the Gamecube sold around 21 million consoles and Nintendo viewed that as a failure. The N64 topped out at 32 million consoles.

Investors already warned Nintendo they don't want another flop, and if the Switch doesn't sell any better than the Wii-U I have no idea what they're going to do. They're not going to keep releasing new console after console. They may just go all streaming or finally make games available on non-Nintendo consoles.

Its in the same manner Nintendo said for a decade they would never put their games on mobile phones...and now they changed their mind.

Andrew NDB
10-21-2016, 11:55 PM
It's a matter of ideology. Nintendo still looks at their systems and games as "toys," essentially, when video game platforms transcended that eons ago. The only thing that saved Nintendo when Sega went down in flames is that, of their core lineups, people care a lot more about Mario, Zelda, and Metroid than just Sonic the ****ing Hedgehog. They can always release a new Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game and people will buy it, pretty much without fail... Sega can release a new Sonic game and maybe some people will buy it, if it's awesome. But they didn't even bother making good Sonic games by the end.

If Nintendo had placated companies like Square-Enix, Konami, and Capcom and kept them in their corner they'd be in way, way better straits. They probably would have even fended off the rise of Playstation.

Wildcat
10-22-2016, 12:01 AM
@spd, Cure...I obviously don't know how to build a console but come on you're telling me this machine could not run DS games?

I don't think it's a major issue , I still want one, it's just kinda disappointing when it's obviously capable. They just didn't or won't build it to do so.

TheBlueTurtle1
10-22-2016, 05:08 AM
This system has no backwards compatibility with the Wii U and will not play 3DS games. I'm not complaining about the 3DS, but remember when I put up a thread asking if I should or should not get a Wii U? My main concern was if the new system had backwards compatibility. Thank goodness I got a Wii-U, because I would have ended up screwing myself over and not have been able to play those Wii-U titles I wanted.

You did do the right thing. The Wii U has some amazing titles, and I am loving Paper Mario Colour Splash atm.

Ninjinister
10-25-2016, 12:12 AM
Most people already assumed this, but the footage was not at all representative of actual games coming for the system and was all added in post (http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-trailer-gameplay-wasnt-from-the-device-nintendo-says-dont-assume-the-video-shows-actual-game-footage/).

Andrew NDB
10-25-2016, 11:25 AM
3DS will be kept awhile for the next 2 years or so to make sure that if the Switch fails

When. Not if.

CyberCubed
10-25-2016, 04:54 PM
The DS came out in 2004 and the GBA still had new games released through 2006. The 3DS came out in 2011 and the DS game lineup continued to about 2012.

There always still games coming out on old systems even when new ones come out. The install base is at its highest at the end of a cycle so they try to squeeze out some last sales before they start all over again with the next one.

Nintendo tends to drop its consoles like a hot potato though. The N64, Gamecube, Wii and now Wii-U were all pretty much barren wastelands in their last years besides maybe one or two last games.

TigerClaw
10-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Apparently the gameplay footage from the Switch video isn't gameplay from the Switch itself.
http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-trailer-gameplay-wasnt-from-the-device-nintendo-says-dont-assume-the-video-shows-actual-game-footage/

Powder
10-25-2016, 08:06 PM
How about that.

Most people already assumed this, but the footage was not at all representative of actual games coming for the system and was all added in post (http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-trailer-gameplay-wasnt-from-the-device-nintendo-says-dont-assume-the-video-shows-actual-game-footage/).

Ninjinister
10-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Apparently the gameplay footage from the Switch video isn't gameplay from the Switch itself.
http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-trailer-gameplay-wasnt-from-the-device-nintendo-says-dont-assume-the-video-shows-actual-game-footage/

lol repost

Cure
10-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Nintendo is gonna reveal more ish about the Switch, including price and specifications, on January 12th (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-price-system-specs-and-launch-line/1100-6444838/).

CyberCubed
10-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Heh, it seems like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda aren't coming to the Switch, at least as far as we know now.

Switch already off to a great start with third party support. (sarcasm)

This all sounds eerily familiar.

Ninjinister
10-27-2016, 10:31 PM
Don't be diggin' graves this early... it's pretty much just an ultrasound at this point, let alone havin' been born.