PDA

View Full Version : Did you enjoy the 2 part anime tmnt OVA from the 90s?

FredWolfLeonardo
10-20-2016, 06:54 AM
Title says all, What are your thoughts?

Ceres
10-20-2016, 07:36 AM
I found it pretty funny, full of anime cliche's and jokes. Best of all were Krang and Shredder's voice actors.
Too bad there were only two parts of it. I would have watched a whole series of this :D

neatoman
10-20-2016, 07:50 AM
It's basically the same as the FW show, just with the quality issues of the animation traded in for a lower framerate. That's the short of it.

I know there are people who think this OVA is worthy of some particular scorn, presumably because it forces in power upgrades that really don't fit in with the show it's a spin-off of, and it sure has it's fair share of problems but it's honestly not that different in any other way. The basic problems are that it's kind of boring, nonsensical and full of jokes that really don't work... But those are problems the Fred Wolf cartoon suffers from in the first place and an average episode of that has more problems than this OVA. Honestly, if you were to dub this OVA with a some major editing and shove it into season 7, it'd probably not stick out as much as you'd think.

Utrommaniac
10-20-2016, 08:07 AM
I personally think it pushed some lines, trying to maintain the goofiness while shoving in 90's anime elements. With the fairies and all. Not the best of justification.

The manga versions were fun too. I did like the way Krang and Shredder done, though. Even if Shredder's new armor was ridiculous xD . And wearing pajamas on top of it, as you do.

pferreira
10-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Honestly, if you were to dub this OVA with a some major editing and shove it into season 7, it'd probably not stick out as much as you'd think.Someone needs to see Season 7 because I sure don't remember stuff like that happening in the series at that point. :D

Candy Kappa
10-20-2016, 01:36 PM
It's a pretty fun romp, that accompanied some pretty cool toys.

And the fan-dub is pretty spiffy.

Prowler
10-20-2016, 02:35 PM
It was alright for what it was. I just didn't like how the Turtles all seemed to have the same personality, however. Krang's voice was also a tad annoying.

Shredder's design was pretty cool, though.

sdp
10-20-2016, 02:38 PM
I haven't re-watched them but I liked them a lot, especially since I was always a fan of Saint Seiya which they parody. Would've liked more episodes of it even if it isn't the greatest thing it's a fun OVA.

thundermaster612
10-20-2016, 03:24 PM
It was alright for what it was. I just didn't like how the Turtles all seemed to have the same personality, however. Krang's voice was also a tad annoying.

Shredder's design was pretty cool, though.

It's funny you find Krang's voice annoying, especially since there was that laughing scene with Shredder, Rocksteady, and Bebop going insane from it.

BH Daimaouji
10-21-2016, 10:47 PM
You mean the seiya crossover with the song by mr. Kageyama?

Nah, it's bad, but it's the japanese saying "the yankies ruined our property, so we will ruin their" for ruining the Super Sentai series

CyberCubed
10-21-2016, 10:49 PM
Of course we can't have a TMNT anime without the Turtles and Shredder/Bebop/Rocksteady transforming in typical anime trope fashion. The fairy woman even has a boob bounce fanservice shot when she gets grabbed from behind by the evil fairy woman.

Typical 90's anime nonsense.

BH Daimaouji
10-22-2016, 02:57 AM
The fairy woman even has a boob bounce fanservice shot when she gets grabbed from behind by the evil fairy woman

And that's why japanese kids shows should NEVER left japan

Except for this masterpiece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIEZ8VpOo4w

neatoman
10-22-2016, 04:04 AM
Of course we can't have a TMNT anime without the Turtles and Shredder/Bebop/Rocksteady transforming in typical anime trope fashion. The fairy woman even has a boob bounce fanservice shot when she gets grabbed from behind by the evil fairy woman.

Typical 90's anime nonsense.

Well to be fair, boobs are affected by force like everything else.

http://i.imgur.com/fzaUK1c.gif

slashpieturtlemix
10-22-2016, 09:14 AM
I think the only problem I had with the series is that there was not more. Both OVAs feel like there is more to them and they do not feel like stand alones. I was very sad when I realized that they were not continuations of each other.

The animation isn't bad and the story was meh. I did enjoy them more than the 80s cartoon. I still cringe at some of the 80s cartoon lol but I enjoy them all the same.

CyberCubed
10-22-2016, 07:40 PM
And that's why japanese kids shows should NEVER left japan

Except for this masterpiece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIEZ8VpOo4w

Uh, what? Even anime/manga aimed at kids like Dragonball has tons of fanservice. Especially the first series with all the Bulma fanservice, and Goku walks around naked as a kid.

ssjup81
10-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Uh, what? Even anime/manga aimed at kids like Dragonball has tons of fanservice. Especially the first series with all the Bulma fanservice, and Goku walks around naked as a kid.The Bulma stuff was ridiculous, but Goku walking around naked is no problem. Kids change in front of each other when young here. It's no big deal. Older kids don't.

CyberCubed
10-22-2016, 07:56 PM
The Bulma stuff was ridiculous, but Goku walking around naked is no problem. Kids change in front of each other when young here. It's no big deal. Older kids don't.

Goku is 12 in the beginning of Dragonball. I'm surprised Japan allows full frontal nudity on underage kids.

As for Bulma at least she was 16, which is legal in some countries. We only see her ass though, her boobs are always covered.

ssjup81
10-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Goku is 12 in the beginning of Dragonball. I'm surprised Japan allows full frontal nudity on underage kids.But the joke was that he looked way younger than that and Goku was raised in the wild after Gohan was accidentally killed by him. He and Bulma shared the washroom together. If she'd known his real age, she wouldn't have and went berserk on him when she did find out his age.

It's probably not a big deal because people bathe in front of each other here and small kids do too.

dragonside
10-22-2016, 10:37 PM
i thought the OVAs were pretty fun and the figures that came out of them were pretty awesome.

I really wish they brought them over with the english voice actors, but hey, can't win em all. And it was pretty weirdo, even for that era.

Toy commercial, nice and simple.

Candy Kappa
10-23-2016, 04:17 AM
Well to be fair, boobs are affected by force like everything else.

http://i.imgur.com/fzaUK1c.gif

I kno, right?

https://i.imgur.com/IG0Jo.gif

Cryomancer
10-23-2016, 01:30 PM
I think they did a good job staying pretty faithful to the material. Even the manga references fairly obscure things from the show, it's surprising. I probably like the manga better overall but I'm biased.

Wesley
10-23-2016, 03:44 PM
I watched it for the first time recently (the fandub version) and thought it was decent. Odd but fun to watch and the animation was good. The fandub actors were great.

sdp
10-23-2016, 06:25 PM
There is manga that continues the story from the OVA and not just the manga that adapts OT episodes right? I'd love to read those manga or even summaries.

I watched it for the first time recently (the fandub version) and thought it was decent. Odd but fun to watch and the animation was good. The fandub actors were great.

So the fandub is good? How does that even work, are all the effects and music replaced?

Powder
10-23-2016, 06:33 PM
So the fandub is good?

Nooooooooooo.

Jester
10-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Nooooooooooo.
Hey, I resemble that remark. :D

DrSpengler
10-23-2016, 08:40 PM
There is manga that continues the story from the OVA and not just the manga that adapts OT episodes right? I'd love to read those manga or even summaries.

They've all been translated; there's an index of em here: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2009/05/tmnt-manga.html

FredWolfLeonardo
10-24-2016, 04:39 AM
They've all been translated; there's an index of em here: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2009/05/tmnt-manga.html

OMG you posted on my thread!!! Hi Mark!! :D :D :D I enjoy reading your reviews and I'm looking forward to the final part of the Next Mutation review, it has been really enjoyable since I found your site so thank you for all you have done for us :D p.s. I know you're busy but I always wanted to see you review Transdimensional Turtles and the Original Movie trilogy pls pls please :)