PDA

View Full Version : Shredder inspired Coola from DBZ

BH Daimaouji
10-22-2016, 03:08 AM
OK as may you know, i'm a DB and TMNT fan, but there's one character from DBZ that i really think Toriyama took from TMNT

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/b/b8/250px-Cooler_5th_Form.png/revision/latest?cb=20130705211233

Coola in his 5th form, just look at him, he's a galactic overlord and wears a mask that cover his face!

Your thought?

neatoman
10-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Toriyama was mostly busy writing, drawing and inking a weekly comic at the time. He had very little involvement in the movies beyond character design, so it would not shock me if Cooler is something he just threw together in a few hours without much thought.

Powder
10-22-2016, 04:49 AM
Hell nah. Shredder's an amalgamation of Japanese designs, from both actual history & modern fiction. There are oodles of others who resemble him, old, new, real, imaginary, etc... No relation whatsoever.

PApagreg
10-22-2016, 12:13 PM
No, its more likely that Cooler was inspired by this, just like Shredder

http://kabutousa.s3.amazonaws.com/sites/kabuto/files/company_about.jpg

CyberCubed
10-22-2016, 01:54 PM
You do realize Shredder's helmet is just a typical shogun samurai armor, right?

BH Daimaouji
10-22-2016, 11:11 PM
You do realize Shredder's helmet is just a typical shogun samurai armor, right?

Nah, i like japan but i didn't knew that ^^'

Shred Head
10-28-2016, 07:54 AM
I dont think Shredder was the inspiration for the design like others said its probably just based on Samurai armor. But I have heard the English voice actor did try to model his voice after the movie Shredders in that form because he thought it looked like Super Shredder too.

MontanaMax1982
11-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Very cool! i can see why since the first 3 seasons was done in Japan for TMNT the original series.

Powder
11-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Very cool! i can see why since the first 3 seasons was done in Japan for TMNT the original series.

Did you bother to read the thread at all? The characters have no relation.

justforapic
11-02-2016, 03:34 PM
I saw Cooler's Revenge, and the only thing that looks like Shredder to me is that face mask.

Powder
11-02-2016, 03:40 PM
TMNT wasn't made in Japan it was created in California that is where Fred Wold Studios was. Also the show was set in New York.

Bruh, it was animated in Japan & Korea.

Autbot_Benz
11-02-2016, 03:48 PM

whoops than ignore my previous post

CyberCubed
11-02-2016, 03:52 PM
All cartoons are animated in the Asian counties. Batman: TAS had almost all its episodes animated by Korea or China too.

pferreira
11-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Bruh, it was animated in Japan & Korea.Well if you want to be pedantic some of the first half of the fourth season was animated in Dublin and the European episodes were animated in France. ;)

FredWolfLeonardo
11-03-2016, 02:48 PM
I did some research and Coola was apparently introduced in 1991 in the fifth Dragon Ball movie in Japan, it was around this time that turtle mania was high in Japan and around the world so I think its not far fetched to claim that the makers of the character saw FW Shredder's helmet and thought it would be cool for one their characters to also have a somewhat similar mask, maybe that wasn't the case but I think its certainly possible and as a fan of both tmnt and dbz, its fun to believe that they were inspired by each other.

On an unrelated note though, I think a much stronger connection to DBZ comes from the Pokemon character Mewtwo, I mean just look at the guy. His normal form looks like Frieza, his Y form looks like Kid Buu, and his X form looks like Cell. Now all we need is a Mega Mewtwo Z who looks like Beerus and we're all set.

PApagreg
11-03-2016, 09:39 PM
I did some research and Coola was apparently introduced in 1991 in the fifth Dragon Ball movie in Japan, it was around this time that turtle mania was high in Japan and around the world so I think its not far fetched to claim that the makers of the character saw FW Shredder's helmet and thought it would be cool for one their characters to also have a somewhat similar mask, maybe that wasn't the case but I think its certainly possible and as a fan of both tmnt and dbz, its fun to believe that they were inspired by each other.

Whatever helps you sleep at night champ, whatever helps you sleep at night.

BH Daimaouji
11-27-2016, 02:13 AM

Yes, Toy, ani may shin were credited in some episodes

(I wonder why the 87's TMNT episodes are still on YT since Toei is rampaing there)

I did some research and Coola was apparently introduced in 1991 in the fifth Dragon Ball movie in Japan, it was around this time that turtle mania was high in Japan

Cool!

pferreira
12-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Yes, Toy, ani may shin were credited in some episodes

(I wonder why the 87's TMNT episodes are still on YT since Toei is rampaing there)Cool!Probably because Toei only did the first season? Look at my previous post.