PDA

View Full Version : How would the franchise be today if the PD "films" never existed?

FredWolfLeonardo
10-24-2016, 05:21 AM
No this is not an Andrew thread, but lets just pretend it is and put our thoughts down below!

neatoman
10-24-2016, 06:19 AM
Well, it's a little too early to tell. We wouldn't really have two or three jokes in the Nickelodeon cartoon, and that's about it to be honest. Not enough time has passed since either one of them, it's not likely there's going to be another one of them and they were not good movies.

In general, I don't think they will ever have much impact on the TMNT franchise. There might be some huge fan of them who manages to get into making new TMNT material, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The most likely impact they will ever have? Probably teaching movie studios that Bebop and Rocksteady are not a box office draw.

IndigoErth
10-24-2016, 08:52 AM
I can't really see where it's had much impact, and not sure it will. Even this section has gone quiet now that there isn't much more to discuss and the dead horse is sufficiently beaten to a pulp.

Maybe getting "blockbuster" films made makers of collectables go a little crazy creating TMNT stuff, not only for them but other designs as well? (Or it just looks that way to me, given my lack of attention to that sort of thing prior to the last couple of years.)

Maybe it will encourage someone else with the money to try the mocap CGI route someday, because despite anything else that wasn't a bad way to go for them (imo). It's kind of cool getting such subtle visual emotion and facial expressions from them which no other media has been or is reasonably capable of, at least not without being time consumingly tedious and the cost not worth it.

Walkabout
10-25-2016, 04:51 AM
Better.

The whole world would be better if Michael Bay's movies didn't exist.

Vegita-San
10-25-2016, 08:10 AM
No this is not an Andrew thread, but lets just pretend it is and put our thoughts down below!

never thought i'd ever agree with him on a subject, but in the case of these movies, any proper bashing is good bashing.

I think that it would be just the same as if they did come out. they made a few million and then vanished quickly from memory. nary making an impact on popular culture.

just like most people don't even seem to notice the new nick cartoon other thna either tmnt fans or new kids becoming fans because of it. the general public could really care less if it's around.

Just like the 4kids series and 2007 movie before it.

The only one that really made an obvious impact to the franchise as a whole has been fred wolf. It got people interested in the mirage books. and it's legacy has been felt in every incarnation since then.

Of course, there was only TV and some light video games back then. kids attention spans where not as distracted all over the place then as they are now.

Zak The Neutrino
10-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Yeah I'm also going to have to go with better.

I also think we would have gotten more Nick toys from Playmates had they not taken these short breaks on the movie line stuff. Plus the movie line stuff has flooded the stores and will need to be clearance out. This does not help getting new product as it makes the store buyers cautious because they don't tell the difference between movie product and Nick show product.

Andrew NDB
10-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Even jaded fans had a sense of wonder about what TMNT 2014 would be like. Then it came out and it was garbage of the worst kind. They can't trick those same fans a second time, so yeah, obviously better off.

CyberCubed
10-25-2016, 11:34 AM
I don't think the Platinum Dunes movies made much impact on the general public. The movies seem like they're been completely forgotten about already, and the last movie just came out this July.

It hurt the TMNT brand in the manner that we didn't get some huge blockbuster TMNT movie that could hang shoulders with DC, Marvel, etc.....but for the most part it didn't seem to do any other type of damage.

The franchise is continuing, it hasn't caused any detriment to either the IDW comic or Nick cartoon. So it remains to be seen what long lasting impact it had.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Amazingly I think the only real casualty as a result of these films is Platinum Dunes itself. They must be hurting after the second film crashed and burned at the box office.

TurtleTitan97
10-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Probably better off since we'd still have the IDW comics and the Nick cartoon.

Andrew NDB
10-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Amazingly I think the only real casualty as a result of these films is Platinum Dunes itself. They must be hurting after the second film crashed and burned at the box office.

Not really. They still got paid to produce it. I don't think they actually had any of their own money invested into it.

Galactus
10-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Not really. They still got paid to produce it. I don't think they actually had any of their own money invested into it.

I remember one of the producers answering why Platinum Dunes upcoming slate is pretty bare with the explanation that Out of the Shadows was such a big project for them that they had to turn down projects and put others on the back burner so presumably that will lose them money in the long term.

As for the OP's question; we know that Nickelodeon has relaxed their stance that they want each version to be different and keep characters and concepts that originated in each of their versions to stay there and we've seen things from the PD movies creep in.

Certainly those animated shorts seemed very influenced by both Platinum Dunes movies. I wouldn't be surprised if they were designed to test the waters for concepts from the movies to be included into the series or maybe (as some have speculated) as a replacement for the current show.

The turtles in TMNT Universe are depicted with slits which I guess are supposed to be nostrils ala the Platinum Dunes designs and the main IDW series currently has Donatello with a double edged electric bo like in Out of the Shadows. Thankfully these things are only small and can easily be done away with but it makes you wonder what else they may have planned down the line, all in the belief Out of the Shadows would be a huge hit. I imagine quite a few plans are being halted due to the failure of Out of the Shadows.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
10-25-2016, 06:47 PM
I remember one of the producers answering why Platinum Dunes upcoming slate is pretty bare with the explanation that Out of the Shadows was such a big project for them that they had to turn down projects and put others on the back burner so presumably that will lose them money in the long term.

As for the OP's question; we know that Nickelodeon has relaxed their stance that they want each version to be different and keep characters and concepts that originated in each of their versions to stay there and we've seen things from the PD movies creep in.

Certainly those animated shorts seemed very influenced by both Platinum Dunes movies. I wouldn't be surprised if they were designed to test the waters for concepts from the movies to be included into the series or maybe (as some have speculated) as a replacement for the current show.

The turtles in TMNT Universe are depicted with slits which I guess are supposed to be nostrils ala the Platinum Dunes designs and the main IDW series currently has Donatello with a double edged electric bo like in Out of the Shadows. Thankfully these things are only small and can easily be done away with but it makes you wonder what else they may have planned down the line, all in the belief Out of the Shadows would be a huge hit. I imagine quite a few plans are being halted due to the failure of Out of the Shadows.

Good. If they half-ass a job, they deserve consequences.

Andrew NDB
10-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Platinum Dunes is strictly "suffering" in the sense that financiers are probably going to be less likely to approach them about producing the latest manufactured blockbusters than they would have been before OotS tanked. Though they can try and point the finger back to Paramount/Nick with some kind of, "Well, this was the movie they wanted us to make!"

Bry
10-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Arguably better. If the BayTurtles movies didn't exist, something else would have been made instead, and it's hard to imagine anything being worse than what we got.

The 2014 movie was a pretty big financial success, but the failure of the sequel shows that audiences largely rejected that concept for the property. I'd argue that in 2014, with the "original" fans being at exactly the right age and level of nostalgia to flood theatres (many with familes and kids to multiply ticket sales), the timing was perfect for almost any TMNT movie to be a big hit. Unfortunately, the movie we got was godawful, and Platinum Dunes absolutely botched a golden opportunity to make a lasting movie franchise going forward.

Had a truly good TMNT movie been released in 2014, I think we'd be looking at an entirely different situation here. OotS put the stench of failure on the brand, at least to some extent. If we had a better, more successful movie series in its place, there'd be much less for the bean-counters in charge to worry about.

Andrew NDB
10-26-2016, 12:23 AM
Actually yeah... TMNT 2014 proved that audiences, in 2014, would come out in droves to see a new TMNT movie. OotS proved that people wouldn't come back to see a second one if that first one was a fetid turd. It also proved -- very thankfully -- that Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, and Technodrome don't pack seats.

Hopefully a variety of lessons have been learned by TPTB.

PApagreg
10-26-2016, 12:30 AM
More or less the same, I don't think the Bay Turtles impacted the TMNT franchise in a big way it just came and went basically hell its basically a smelly fart

Sighphi
10-31-2016, 09:03 PM
a bunch of trees wouldn't have been turned into crappy action figures so environmentalist would hate the turtles less?

TigerClaw
10-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Actually yeah... TMNT 2014 proved that audiences, in 2014, would come out in droves to see a new TMNT movie. OotS proved that people wouldn't come back to see a second one if that first one was a fetid turd. It also proved -- very thankfully -- that Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, and Technodrome don't pack seats.

Hopefully a variety of lessons have been learned by TPTB.
They would pack seats have they been in the 2014 movie in the first place.

ZariusTwo
11-01-2016, 02:18 PM
It also proved -- very thankfully -- that Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady, and Technodrome don't pack seats.

Not when packaged the way they were here.

Nick uses Krang(Kraang), Rocksteady, Bebop, Technodrome, and various other FW elements (christ, including the NICHE ones) and it does just fine.

Andrew NDB
11-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Nick uses Krang(Kraang), Rocksteady, Bebop, Technodrome, and various other FW elements (christ, including the NICHE ones) and it does just fine.

No it doesn't. Though I wouldn't doubt it has nothing to do with them, Nick's ratings have been in a freefall since... well, right about the time they introduced Bebop and Rocksteady, last I checked. And haven't gotten one iota better since.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
11-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Of course, there was only TV and some light video games back then. kids attention spans where not as distracted all over the place then as they are now.

There were even Archie comics back then.

THGhost
11-10-2016, 06:02 PM
If PD never existed? There would probably still be other controversial live-action TMNT movies being made that a lot of people don't like. :lol:

snake
11-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Better off. Probably bigger if something good was made in their place. These new movies have put an image of the TMNT in the public's mind. One that won't go away for awhile.

slingtheory
11-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Exactly the same probably. As far as I see they've left no impact at all. Shame too cause the opportunity was there

THGhost
11-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Exactly the same probably. As far as I see they've left no impact at all. Shame too cause the opportunity was there

Which only makes the likelihood of a reboot happening in a few years all the more likely. :P