PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about TMNT variant covers?

rich
10-24-2016, 12:59 PM
TMNT comic book collectors...looking for your opinions. Tell me what it is that you want in a TMNT variant cover. What characteristics would your ideal TMNT variant cover have (blank, artwork, hybrid artwork/blank front or back, etc.) and what things have you always wanted to see done with a variant comic book (TMNT or any title) that have yet to be done (or aren't done enough)? For those of you that aren't TMNT cover completists / completionists, what things would make you want to buy one TMNT variant cover over another? I'm looking for everyone's feedback on anything and everything you like and/or dislike about variant covers (TMNT or variants in general). If you'd rather not share publicly, then send me a message with your feedback and I'll keep your feedback private. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts!

funatic
10-24-2016, 02:24 PM
I like to see variants that are very stylized & offbeat, bringing in new talent you wouldn't normally see on the book. Any variant that plays with the title bar of the issue, or just general composition shake-ups are a plus. 4th-wall breaking... mixed media... anything that makes it stand out as more than just basic comic art. I'm especially grateful for variants that have the guts to take the title off the front all together, giving precedence to the art, and putting the title on a solid color field on the back of the comic, which I find is an excellent place for signatures. I also love wraparound covers. Makes the comic feel more like an objet d'art, collectable, and rings that little nostalgia bell for the old mirage wraparounds. I'm also a sucker for homages (I own both the Nirvana Nevermind & Mona Lisa variants of IDW). Lastly, (contrary to most of the preceding opinions) a cover that reflects some of the events that occur within that issue is always respected. Helps you remember where to look for a certain story when you're digging through long boxes!

All that being said, variants kind of infuriate me as I have a horrible time making decisions and in most cases do not want to buy more than 1 printing of the same issue. :tgrumble: I also really do not see the appeal in blank covers. They're often more expensive for literally no art. I know they're suited for sketches, but you can get much less confined art on better paper from an artist through a regular commission. Add the economical factor that most people will not ever be actually reading a comic with a nice sketch cover on it, and you have 20-30 wasted pages of paper inside. Kind of sad.

Now it's my turn for a question rich - why so curious? :tlol:

rich
10-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Excellent feedback! Thank you for your time and thoughts on this topic. Why am I interested? I've been mulling over the possibility of creating a variant comic book (a Retailer Exclusive branded with my website TMNT...a collection) for one of the upcoming TMNT Ongoing issues. At this point it's just a curiosity but if I did one, I'd really want it to be something FOR the TMNT comic book collectors...something collectors and fans would be excited about and something unique. Not just another variant to collect (although I suppose by default it would be that regardless ;-) ).

funatic
10-24-2016, 04:27 PM
That's awesome! I hope it comes to fruition. Always appreciative of the work you put into that site, by the way. It's actually the main way I decide between which variant to pick before heading to the comic shop! :tsmile:

Powder
10-24-2016, 06:10 PM
I'd like to see one done by me. :tlol:

More to the point, though. I like homages, be it to TMNT material of the past, or other things in pop culture. Like the ones Dr. Spengler was a part of, movie covers, video games, etc. Also, anything depicting a scene of some sort, be it spectacular or a slice of life. There are WAY too many generic action shot splash page covers.

oldmanwinters
10-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Generally, what I appreciate most in a comic book cover is an image that captures the essence of an issue's content. Alternatively, maybe it just looks really cool, as in the case with the "Heroes Haven" variant of the 30the Anniversary Special (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2014/04/awesome-turtle-picture-31.html).

TMNTChris1980
10-24-2016, 10:24 PM
I like to see variants that are very stylized & offbeat, bringing in new talent you wouldn't normally see on the book. Any variant that plays with the title bar of the issue, or just general composition shake-ups are a plus. 4th-wall breaking... mixed media... anything that makes it stand out as more than just basic comic art. I'm especially grateful for variants that have the guts to take the title off the front all together, giving precedence to the art, and putting the title on a solid color field on the back of the comic, which I find is an excellent place for signatures. I also love wraparound covers. Makes the comic feel more like an objet d'art, collectable, and rings that little nostalgia bell for the old mirage wraparounds. I'm also a sucker for homages (I own both the Nirvana Nevermind & Mona Lisa variants of IDW). Lastly, (contrary to most of the preceding opinions) a cover that reflects some of the events that occur within that issue is always respected. Helps you remember where to look for a certain story when you're digging through long boxes!

All that being said, variants kind of infuriate me as I have a horrible time making decisions and in most cases do not want to buy more than 1 printing of the same issue. :tgrumble: I also really do not see the appeal in blank covers. They're often more expensive for literally no art. I know they're suited for sketches, but you can get much less confined art on better paper from an artist through a regular commission. Add the economical factor that most people will not ever be actually reading a comic with a nice sketch cover on it, and you have 20-30 wasted pages of paper inside. Kind of sad.

Now it's my turn for a question rich - why so curious? :tlol:

Completely agree, but I do like a blank sketch cover. A Mirage artist would be cool.

Mayhem
10-25-2016, 05:16 AM
I had wondered if you were thinking about making your own variant Rich :D

Personally if you were going to do it, I'd want an artist that was very exclusive, if that's possible. As in, get someone well known who hasn't touched TMNT before and that would hopefully drive sales of the variant.

ToTheNines
10-25-2016, 06:28 AM
I'd like to see one done by me. :tlol:

More to the point, though. I like homages, be it to TMNT material of the past, or other things in pop culture. Like the ones Dr. Spengler was a part of, movie covers, video games, etc. Also, anything depicting a scene of some sort, be it spectacular or a slice of life. There are WAY too many generic action shot splash page covers.

I agree with all this.

Plus, I'll buy variants if it's a favorite artist of mine that doesn't really do turtles. I bought all the Tristan Jones TMNT/GB covers, I bought that one Ryan Ottley did years ago. Andy Suriano's Amazing Adventures cover.

The Ben Bates cover with IDW B&R vs. Playmates Turtles was a must. Eastman's snowman cover for #5 (really any Holiday themed cover will get me).

Editor's Note Comics
10-25-2016, 10:36 AM
For variants, I'll buy for an artist more than I will for content. I'm also a sucker for homages of silver age comics.

DrSpengler
10-25-2016, 11:05 AM
For me, I like variant covers that have a visual hook or a gimmick to them.

I won't normally go for a cover that's just the Turtles standing on a rooftop holding their weapons and looking cool. It can be a really great piece of art, but if there's nothing else to it than that then it won't really appeal to me.

Variant covers that do it for me are the ones that have an element that really pops, be it an homage to some other piece of media or just something totally different (loved the Heroes Haven variant for the 30th Anniversary Special because it was the only one that went full Fred Wolf/Playmates in addition to being a cool piece of art).

When doing variants, we've noticed that the ones with the funny hook sell better, too. Like the Norman Rockwell/Saturday Evening Post variants Tim and I have done for IDW's Back to the Future series. We've had a much easier time moving those at conventions and online as opposed to, say, the variant cover we did for Dynamite's James Bond. It was a nice piece of art on Tim's part, but it was just James Bond looking cool and there wasn't a instantaneous catch to it.

Something we learned doing t-shirt and merchandise designs for Hasbro and Marvel. If there's a joke to it that makes someone say "OH I GET IT" the moment they see it, they're more likely to pick it up.

That said, if you're a world famous superstar artist and you draw a pic of the Turtles standing on a rooftop holding their weapons and looking cool, it's gonna sell gimmick or no gimmick. But we ain't there yet.

rich
10-25-2016, 02:16 PM
I like variant covers that have a visual hook or a gimmick to them.

Variant covers that do it for me are the ones that have an element that really pops, be it an homage to some other piece of media or just something totally different

Great feedback everyone! Thank you all. Keep it coming...I'm making note of it all.

Specifically @DrSpengler...your comments above are really what I'd want to shoot for if I did a variant...something that really is different.

liugeaux
10-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Actually rich, when I saw this thread it immediately inspired me to update my blog with my opinions on TMNT variants, lol. I wrote a lengthy post about my favorites and a few things about what I want to see out of them in the future. You can read it here:

http://liugeaux.com/post/152351631677/the-top-10-idw-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

I know its tacky to self-promote your blog, but the idea literally came from this thread, so it seemed appropriate.

rich
10-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Actually rich, when I saw this thread it immediately inspired me to update my blog with my opinions on TMNT variants, lol. I wrote a lengthy post about my favorites and a few things about what I want to see out of them in the future. You can read it here:

http://liugeaux.com/post/152351631677/the-top-10-idw-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

I know its tacky to self-promote your blog, but the idea literally came from this thread, so it seemed appropriate.

Great article and thanks for sharing it.

TonySiegel
10-27-2016, 09:55 PM
I'd like to come 3d covers, a cover that comes with a sticker sheet (like superman: the man of steel #30 http://static9.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11/114415/2142561-lobo_vs._superman_stickers.jpeg), a lenticular cover etc.

that 90's stuff just speaks to me...

or a cover with the turtles as older turtles would be sick