ZariusTwo
10-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Vine is being discontinued

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37788052

TigerClaw
10-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Vine is being discontinued

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37788052
I read about that, It's unfortunate that App is really popular, Hopefully someone creates an alternative to it.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-27-2016, 12:33 PM
I think Twitter is just the worst. It encourages sensationalism and only exists to make people feel like they're informed when really they just have the most superficial awareness of any given subject.

BubblyShell22
10-27-2016, 02:21 PM
I never really cared about Vine myself and always thought it was pointless. But whatever.

Spike Spiegel
10-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Is Twitter hemorrhaging money or something?

Seems like an odd choice.

Powder
10-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Dude, this is wack AF. I love Vine.

Cure
10-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah, Vine can be pretty funny.

XERO
10-27-2016, 07:03 PM
So, I guess 6 seconds of silence or...?

plastroncafe
10-27-2016, 07:05 PM
This is a damn shame. Some of the stuff people have made with that app is down right amazing.

CyberCubed
10-27-2016, 07:17 PM
I don't even know what Vine is. Isn't it the same thing as youtube?

It would make sense that it'd be shut down then, it can't compete.

Cure
10-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Yeah, yeah, you don't know what anything is, blah blah.

CyberCubed
10-27-2016, 07:22 PM
I've honestly never heard of Vine before seeing this thread title. I know of some other video sites like dailymotion, but not this.

Prowler
10-27-2016, 09:23 PM
I honestly had no idea Twitter owned vine. Hell, I only recently found out Instagram was owned by Facebook.

Meh whatever. Never cared much about vine, anyway.

Candy Kappa
10-28-2016, 03:27 AM
It's a shame that it's closing down, luckily most people I follow have Instagram and YouTube.

Shark_Blade
10-28-2016, 04:30 AM
I don't use it much but still a pity.I've honestly never heard of Vine before seeing this thread title. I know of some other video sites like dailymotion, but not this.Stop being such an ignorant old caveman and get with the times.

ZariusTwo
10-28-2016, 06:13 AM
I've honestly never heard of Vine before seeing this thread title. I know of some other video sites like dailymotion, but not this.

Even when Youtube has had whole videos devoted to Vines?

BubblyShell22
10-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Cubed, Vine is a video site that devotes itself to videos lasting only six seconds.

CyberCubed
10-28-2016, 05:56 PM
What's the point of a 6 second video? What can you honestly get out of that?

Social media perplexes me. I'm still used to the days of geocities, livejournal and forums like this one.

sdp
10-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Because you can be creative and make fun stuff, sadly when instagram copied Vine and Snapchat arose less people used Vine and it couldn't be profitable unlike say Periscope. I liked Vine but didn't use it enough since it was only good for wasting some time. Twitter owning Vine and FB instagram are all old news.

Twitter is indeed losing money but it'll be able to pull through, it's my favorite social media website, if you learn how to use it correctly you can get all the information you need.

CyberCubed
10-28-2016, 08:34 PM
I've heard of snapchat but never actually seen it in action. Is it what the name implies? You take a picture of yourself and chat live with someone?

sdp
10-28-2016, 08:39 PM
I don't use it much anymore but when it started you'd take a picture and it would only show up for 5 seconds. It was cool since you could take pictures of random stuff that wasn't important enough to "post" on facebook or instagram but you could still show that stupid thing to your friends and it got very popular especially when it came to sexting and that was one of the reasons it started to become so popular. Since then they've added more features and changed things now you can leave pictures or short videos for as long as you can and there's filters that people like to use like that "dog" filter that was very popular.

IndigoErth
10-29-2016, 04:46 PM
"Twitter acquired Vine..."

So if they acquired it from someone else originally... is it really that much of a stretch to considering selling it? :roll: Esp if the company is "cutting 9% of its workforce".

I'm not really familiar with it other than hearing the name (since I don't have a smart phone), but I've heard the name often enough to know it's popular. Why on earth just terminate something so popular? Weird move. Unless they've got something else up their sleeve that will integrate the same features.

CyberCubed
10-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Tumblr has also been having problems lately. I wonder if twitter and tumblr will close down entirely in the next few years.

Reminds me of when Myspace went under.

sdp
10-29-2016, 05:05 PM
So if they acquired it from someone else originally... is it really that much of a stretch to considering selling it? :roll:

I've heard the name often enough to know it's popular. Why on earth just terminate something so popular? Weird move. Unless they've got something else up their sleeve that will integrate the same features.

There are many reasons to not sell it, they may want to keep many of their employees, keep the patents, integrate it into twitter or simply not wanting to have a potential competitor do something else with it. It's fairly standard and we won't really know why they won't sell it unless they disclose it but there is a reason.

Tumblr has also been having problems lately. I wonder if twitter and tumblr will close down entirely in the next few years.

Reminds me of when Myspace went under.

I'm not very familiar with Tumblr's finances but Twitter isn't anything like myspace, they're one of the big social networks they just aren't as profitable when compared to its popularity and that's what the problem is. It's difficult to know what's going to happen in a few years on the internet since things change so much but twitter closing down doesn't seem likely at all.

CyberCubed
10-29-2016, 05:08 PM
I'm not very familiar with Tumblr's finances but Twitter isn't anything like myspace, they're one of the big social networks they just aren't as profitable when compared to its popularity and that's what the problem is. It's difficult to know what's going to happen in a few years on the internet since things change so much but twitter closing down doesn't seem likely at all.

google tumblr and you'll see news articles about it not doing well. I forgot who bought it, I think it was Yahoo?