PDA

View Full Version : Usagi Yojimbo movie

Allio
11-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Okay, so technically isn't TMNT, but it isn't like we don't have threads about Usagi sometimes...so here is my question.

How would you want a Usagi Yojimbo movie?

personally, I would just like something on the quality of the Ruroni Kenshin Movies

0jXTzaOKFfs

Andrew NDB
11-02-2016, 12:18 AM
How would you want a Usagi Yojimbo movie?

With Stan Sakai on story duties with full veto power over every aspect of it.

Allio
11-02-2016, 12:19 AM

you see, I want to keep Jei alive.

Powder
11-02-2016, 01:53 AM
Maybe change the thread title to Ideal Usagi Yojimbo Movie lest there be confusion/disappointment from those who expect this thread to be about an actual one. It already almost got me. :tlol:

Like Andrew says, one absolute must is giving Stan full control. Ideally? Anime format. But a Dreamworks styled thing could be dope too. I keep hoping that when Usagi shows up in the Nick series that he'll be voiced by Brian Toshi, so I'd be happy to see him do it in a film too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-02-2016, 08:43 AM

This. TMNT fans know too well what happens when the creators take their hands off the steering wheel.

You get toy commercials.

TurtleTitan97
11-02-2016, 11:03 AM

^ This goes for me as well.

John Pannozzi
11-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Last I heard there was a stop motion Usagi film in the works, after a short proof-of-concept film impressed Stan. Dunno if that's still happening.

pferreira
11-03-2016, 12:01 PM
This. TMNT fans know too well what happens when the creators take their hands off the steering wheel.

You get toy commercials.Some examples?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Some examples?

Fred Wolf Seasons 1-10.
4Kids Seasons 5-7.
Nick TMNT, Seasons 3-4.

neatoman
11-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Fred Wolf Seasons 1-10.
4Kids Seasons 5-7.
Nick TMNT, Seasons 3-4.

Don't forget the Next Mutation.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Don't forget the Next Mutation.

I try to, man. Every day. :trazz:

Powder
11-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Some examples?

Literally everything that isn't Mirage or the 1990 movie.

& what a coincidence, they happen to be the best versions.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Literally everything that isn't Mirage or the 1990 movie.

& what a coincidence, they happen to be the best versions.

Well, I'd add Archie and IDW to that. Comics don't get toys.

TigerClaw
11-03-2016, 01:09 PM
I would love to see an Usagi Yojimbo CGI movie, but to an average moviegoer, it would be compared to a movie like Kung Fu Panda, unless they treat it very serious, and not comical as the Kung Fu Panda movies are.

a Usagi Yojimbo movie would have to be PG-13, cause it can get dark.

Powder
11-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Well, I'd add Archie and IDW to that. Comics don't get toys.

No, but they push casts of toyetic mutant characters. Might as well be directly tied to Playmates, at least in the case of Archie.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 01:22 PM
No, but they push casts of toyetic mutant characters. Might as well be directly tied to Playmates, at least in the case of Archie.

Yeah, they push those mutant rosters, but at least you can make the argument that the writers used those characters because they WANTED to and had plans for them, not because Playmates was impatiently waiting for character designs to roll out to Toys'R'Us and Walmart toy aisles everywhere.

I mean, I'm not an Archie fan, but the Mutanimals, Null and Maligna, the future Turtles... they all had good stories told with them. Or in the cases of early issues with toy characters featuring (Tattoo, Hothead, whatever they all were), Archie was trying to use toy designs that hadn't been given any thought or screentime. USING designs, and making them more than just toy sales.

TLDR: I think Archie and IDW deserve more credit than just being toy shills like the cartoons and TNM.

CyberCubed
11-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Some people on this forum seem to have no idea what Usagi Yojimbo even is. His cameos in TMNT cartoons and comics don't fully represent the character.

I've read 80% of Usagi Yojimbo's comics and have them all in the collected book form, you guys just don't know.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Some people on this forum seem to have no idea what Usagi Yojimbo even is. His cameos in TMNT cartoons and comics don't fully represent the character.

I've read 80% of Usagi Yojimbo's comics and have them all in the collected book form, you guys just don't know.

I've been marathoning the TPBs since a month or two ago. Just finished "Return of the Black Soul." Jei is an amazing character, should get my hands on Books 25-28 tonight or tomorrow.

Powder
11-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah, they push those mutant rosters, but at least you can make the argument that the writers used those characters because they WANTED to and had plans for them, not because Playmates was impatiently waiting for character designs to roll out to Toys'R'Us and Walmart toy aisles everywhere.

I mean, I'm not an Archie fan, but the Mutanimals, Null and Maligna, the future Turtles... they all had good stories told with them. Or in the cases of early issues with toy characters featuring (Tattoo, Hothead, whatever they all were), Archie was trying to use toy designs that hadn't been given any thought or screentime. USING designs, and making them more than just toy sales.

TLDR: I think Archie and IDW deserve more credit than just being toy shills like the cartoons and TNM.

I don't disagree with any of this. I guess I'm just saying virtually no matter where you look in the turtleverse, there are still stains left in the carpet from Playmates, & I resent that.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-03-2016, 06:11 PM
I don't disagree with any of this. I guess I'm just saying virtually no matter where you look in the turtleverse, there are still stains left in the carpet from Playmates, & I resent that.

Okay, yeah, I get that. No disagreement there. :tlol:

Filespit
11-06-2016, 12:43 PM
I'd absolutely love to see an Usagi movie, but it's probably never gonna happen. If it were though, this is what I'd hope for;

1. Sakai needs to have FULL control.

2. The movie HAS to be Rated R. There is no way Usagi would work as an ordinary PG-13 movie. The comic may look cartoonish, but is occasionally extremely brutal with decapitations all over the place. If an Usagi movie is to catch the interest of the general public and people who are unfamiliar with Usagi (which is pretty much everyone except for us TMNT fans) it has to stand out from the other comic book movies, and the only way for it to do so is to stay true to the source material.

3. It should be shot completely in japanese, and then dubbed to english. That would also make it stand out a lot more.

4. It must be set in the same feudal time period as the comics, and NOT be some kind of time travel story where Usagi ends up in our time or whatever.

5. Sakai should have FULL control.

Powder
11-06-2016, 01:17 PM
1. Yep.

2. Nope. I wouldn't by any means call UY brutal. People get killed a lot, but it's never gratuitous, glamorized, or dwelled upon. You can smoothly lop somebody's head off in a PG-13 film, I think. Do it by silhouette or off-screen, even. How the violence is depicted is not really integral. & it's not like there's much in the way of romance or swearing, either. So I'm not so sure that's necessary.

3. That makes no sense.

4/5. Naturally.

Candy Kappa
11-06-2016, 01:21 PM
I'd rather see a animated movie with the comic's art style, I don't see any appeal for a LA movie when the entire character cast consists of cartoon animals.

If not animated in the style of the comic, maybe a cgi movie akin to Zootopia or Kung-Fu Panda in visuals.

Coola Yagami
11-06-2016, 01:32 PM
I'd rather see a animated movie with the comic's art style, I don't see any appeal for a LA movie when the entire character cast consists of cartoon animals.

If not animated in the style of the comic, maybe a cgi movie akin to Zootopia or Kung-Fu Panda in visuals.

This. There would be way too much time, effort and money wasted just to make the CGI designs look good. It just doesn't translate well to live action and many parents are going to get the same rude awakening they did when they took their kids to see Deadpool.

Animated or CGI cartoon animated is the way to go for this one.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
11-06-2016, 04:48 PM
I'd absolutely love to see an Usagi movie, but it's probably never gonna happen. If it were though, this is what I'd hope for;

1. Sakai needs to have FULL control.

2. The movie HAS to be Rated R. There is no way Usagi would work as an ordinary PG-13 movie. The comic may look cartoonish, but is occasionally extremely brutal with decapitations all over the place. If an Usagi movie is to catch the interest of the general public and people who are unfamiliar with Usagi (which is pretty much everyone except for us TMNT fans) it has to stand out from the other comic book movies, and the only way for it to do so is to stay true to the source material.

3. It should be shot completely in japanese, and then dubbed to english. That would also make it stand out a lot more.

4. It must be set in the same feudal time period as the comics, and NOT be some kind of time travel story where Usagi ends up in our time or whatever.

5. Sakai should have FULL control.

And recorded only in Japan, I guess.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
11-06-2016, 08:39 PM
This. There would be way too much time, effort and money wasted just to make the CGI designs look good. It just doesn't translate well to live action and many parents are going to get the same rude awakening they did when they took their kids to see Deadpool.

Animated or CGI cartoon animated is the way to go for this one.

An animated Usagi would just be so awesome. That's the way I would prefer to see it as well. Actually the stop motion version on youtube from a few years ago was great too. I wouldn't even mind it being that way if they could make the action smooth enough. Although, to me, as great as the action is in Usagi it's still all about the storytelling. As long as the story was awesome I could live with not having over the top action.

DestronMirage22
11-07-2016, 12:08 PM
I'd love to see an animated Usagi movie. Provided Stan be in charge of the whole thing, of course.

Andrew NDB
11-07-2016, 12:21 PM
You can smoothly lop somebody's head off in a PG-13 film, I think.

No you can't. Unless they're wearing a helmet that completely covers their face.

John Pannozzi
11-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Bad news, it seems that the Usagi stop motion feature has been kiboshed (http://usagiyojimbo.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8008).

TMNTInsighter
11-29-2016, 08:17 PM

I'll take that too. It'd definitely be great for Usagi to have his own movie.

Warboss74
01-05-2017, 02:11 AM
I think you do a CGI film or film series. What rating would it get if you went with the skull bubbles for deaths like the comics? Could you squeeze PG out of it or would it have to be PG-13? I don't think it would have to be rated R.

01-05-2017, 04:25 AM
It should be shot completely in japanese, and then dubbed to english. That would also make it stand out a lot more.

Why not just use subtitles?

pferreira
01-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Why not just use subtitles?What?! You expect the ordinary cinema folk to read...subtitles? :lol:

01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
What?! You expect the ordinary cinema folk to read...subtitles? :lol:

I prefer subtitles instead of dubbing.

Spitfire
01-15-2017, 03:33 PM
I would take an animated Usagi film. A live action one wouldn't work for a number of reasons. The chief among them is no one would give it the budget it needs. Also, no one would give it the rating it needs and no studio in their right mind would make a live action film about a samurai rabbit. That means the animated film would need to be Japanese as well because we don't really do R-rated animated movies and any Amercian studio would push for it to be a kids movie.

01-17-2017, 07:04 AM
That means the animated film would need to be Japanese as well because we don't really do R-rated animated movies and any Amercian studio would push for it to be a kids movie.

A Japanese anime sounds great! Japan seems to have left the prejudice that all comics and animated films or TV-series are mainly produced for children.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Except that now we have Sausage Party. An R rated cgi animated film that was fairly successful. It could be done.

pferreira
01-19-2017, 08:25 AM
I prefer subtitles instead of dubbing.So do I. Makes trying to watch the live action Asterix films a pain since the English dub is more readily available. :ohwell:

Tetsu Deinonychus
01-21-2017, 09:57 AM
I'd rather see hand-drawn animation or cel-shaded CGI than regular textured CGI like Kung-Fu Panda (or stop-motion), but that look could still work if the writing was good.

They could probably get away with PG-13, and even that is a rarity for US animation.

It would probably have to be an indie film (or Japanese), because the mainstream American studios would probably try to turn it into a Kung-Fu Panda-esque family film, but who knows. They might be willing to take a chance.

dragonside
02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
I haven't read the comics,

however, I actually really liked the portrayal of usagi in the 2003 series. He was just so interesting to watch.

So if Stan Sakai had full control, and it was in the 4kids style. I would LOVE to see that.