PDA

View Full Version : Arctic location of the Technodrome

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
11-04-2016, 05:05 AM
In the "My Brother, the Bad Guy" episode of the 1987–1996 TMNT cartoon, the Technodrome returns from the Volcanic Asteroid to Earth, as Donatello sends it crashing into the Arctic landing in a snow-covered landscape falling into a valley.

Does anyone have any ideas where it may have fallen? Unlike the polar icecap on Antarctica, the Arctic is dominated by the Arctic Sea, with some large Canadian uninhabited islands and Danish island posession of Greenland. Norway and Russia also have som island posessions in the Arctic Sea.

FredWolfLeonardo
11-04-2016, 05:20 AM
Maybe in Greenland, I'm not sure. But I remember in one episode that a polar episode was seen in the area, and in the other, there were penguins. As far as I know, polar bears are only found in the arctic and penguins are only found in the Antarctic so that was a slight oversight by the show creators.

11-04-2016, 05:51 AM
Maybe in Greenland, I'm not sure. But I remember in one episode that a polar episode was seen in the area, and in the other, there were penguins. As far as I know, polar bears are only found in the arctic and penguins are only found in the Antarctic so that was a slight oversight by the show creators.

It's definately the Arctic and not Antarctica. We mostly see polar bears, lke in "My Brother the Bad Guy".

Googling, I found the Arctic penguin was actually the great auk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_auk

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/Blogs/makingwaves/why-there-are-no-penguins-in-the-arctic/blog/12900/

I know it's a writer's mistake but with the great auk declared extinct during the mid-19th century, maybe a few of them somehow has sruvived (in the cartoon) and the "penguins" (who I guess were in the "Ice Creature Cometh" episode) should be those.

We may not know for sure how far north these great auk may have been, and Newfoundland is maybe not Arctic (and the Technodrome was definately not there) but maybe the central-northern parts of Greenland, as you said, or an uninhabited island of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago.

Or maybe those few penguins were part of a minor human project attempting to introduce penguins in the Arctic (maybe to avoid extincion since Antarctica is threatned by ozone depletion).

FredWolfLeonardo
11-04-2016, 06:14 AM
I was just reading about the Greak Auk, fascinating things. They were apparently not a part of the penguin family as most scientists classify today, but the resemblance is there and it seems they were an important part of Inuit culture.

Another theory, Shredder and Krang decided to go on holiday to the Antarctic in some episodes, hence the penguins. Too bad Krang said it was the most boring place in "Leonardo is missing" :D

11-04-2016, 06:20 AM
I was just reading about the Greak Auk, fascinating things. They were apparently not a part of the penguin family as most scientists classify today, but the resemblance is there and it seems they were an important part of Inuit culture.

Another theory, Shredder and Krang decided to go on holiday to the Antarctic in some episodes, hence the penguins. Too bad Krang said it was the most boring place in "Leonardo is missing" :D

The Technodrome being stuck in the Arctic where it landed is the main-plot for those season, no Antarctica holiday works there. That's why I googled coming up with greak auk, but almost knowing it's a writer's mistake.

FredWolfLeonardo
11-04-2016, 06:46 AM
At the end of My Brother the Bad Guy, Donatello says that if his calculations are correct, then the technodrome is to crash right in the middle of the arctic. If taken literally, then it would crash somewhere around the North Pole, so I guess that would be the most likely location.

11-04-2016, 06:51 AM
At the end of My Brother the Bad Guy, Donatello says that if his calculations are correct, then the technodrome is to crash right in the middle of the arctic. If taken literally, then it would crash somewhere around the North Pole, so I guess that would be the most likely location.

That makes sure it's the Arctic. But depending on what he means with North Pole it may be the Geographic North Pole or the North Magnetic Pole. But middle is probably not to be taken literally, just that the Technodrome is surrounded by snow and ice in all directions as far as anyone there can see.

FredWolfLeonardo
11-04-2016, 06:53 AM
That makes sure it's the Arctic. But depending on what he means with North Pole it may be the Geographic North Pole or the North Magnetic Pole.

I might be wrong on this, but aren't both North Poles the same?

11-04-2016, 06:54 AM
I might be wrong on this, but aren't both North Poles the same?

No

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Magnetic_Pole

Off-topic, there are similair in Antactica:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Magnetic_Pole

FredWolfLeonardo
11-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Oh ok, I get it now. There are 4 different North Poles apparently as I read on some website, so the drome could've really crashed in any of them if it did indeed literally crash in the middle of the arctic.

Also, the technodrome had to crash in an area with alot of thick ice that would've been able to support its enormous weight, so maybe it didn't crash in the north pole, since a vast amount of that area is covered in thin ice caps and pure ocean, which wouldn't have been able to support the weight of the huge battle fortress.

11-04-2016, 07:43 AM
Oh ok, I get it now. There are 4 different North Poles apparently as I read on some website, so the drome could've really crashed in any of them if it did indeed literally crash in the middle of the arctic.

Also, the technodrome had to crash in an area with alot of thick ice that would've been able to support its enormous weight, so maybe it didn't crash in the north pole, since a vast amount of that area is covered in thin ice caps and pure ocean, which wouldn't have been able to support the weight of the huge battle fortress.

Maybe somewhere in the Canadian Artic Archipelago? Just googled for Baffin Island and Ellesmere Island giving images of what it may look like there. (even if I more assume it fell onto an uninhabited island at international waters)

cammy85
11-04-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure, but I did think it was weird that they went from being all the way in the Arctic to falling into the ocean, mere miles from New York for Seasons 6 and 7. The fell through a hole in the ice which is clearly visible as you can see the sun beaming down on it in some episodes in Season 6.

11-04-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure, but I did think it was weird that they went from being all the way in the Arctic to falling into the ocean, mere miles from New York for Seasons 6 and 7. The fell through a hole in the ice which is clearly visible as you can see the sun beaming down on it in some episodes in Season 6.

The major move is "Rock Around the Block" with the unmanned spacecraft's laser-ray blasting onto Earth hitting the Arctic, breaking the polar icecap and freeing the Technodrome which falls underwater.

At low-energy I actually believe it's easier to move the Technodrome gradually underwater. Even when in the Arctic polar icecap they would be able to move it a little bit every summer when Sunlight hits the ice, melting minor parts.

cammy85
11-05-2016, 10:34 AM
That's what I figured, that the gradual moves were offscreen, and that "spotlight" could've been the sun over the New York harbor. Even then, it would've taken a lot of energy to get up to the surface that they just didn't have until "Shredder Triumphant".

I imagine it would've been possible to movie through the Arctic the first time, but after getting stuck deeper in "The Ice Creature Cometh", that would've been impossible.

11-06-2016, 05:40 PM
That's what I figured, that the gradual moves were offscreen, and that "spotlight" could've been the sun over the New York harbor. Even then, it would've taken a lot of energy to get up to the surface that they just didn't have until "Shredder Triumphant".

I imagine it would've been possible to movie through the Arctic the first time, but after getting stuck deeper in "The Ice Creature Cometh", that would've been impossible.

Bebop and Rocksteady may also have broken into power-stations successfully stealing energy offscreen (even during season 3 when the Technodrome was near the Earth's core). Not as much as needed for immediately re-power the Technodrome and launch a large-scale attack, but just for lightning, heating, laser raygun re-loading and some minor Technodrome moves.

ABrown
11-06-2016, 07:19 PM
I really don't think that the creators gave it a whole lot of thought.

Wesley
11-07-2016, 11:22 AM
I really don't think that the creators gave it a whole lot of thought.

I don't think the creators gave it much thought either. The Technodrome's exact location at the bottom of the ocean wasn't concrete throughout seasons 6-7 and seemed random to me.

pferreira
11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
I don't think the creators gave it much thought either. The Technodrome's exact location at the bottom of the ocean wasn't concrete throughout seasons 6-7 and seemed random to me.They didn't expect eagle eyed viewers to try working it out. However, it's fun to figure it out. :)