PDA

View Full Version : Battletoads?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-06-2016, 10:30 AM
So, I was bored and started looking for other side-scrolling beat-em-ups to play... and so stumbled upon the "Battletoads" franchise.

Anybody here a fan? Looks like a pretty blatant rip-off of TMNT, but not without its own appeal.

TheSkeletonMan939
11-06-2016, 10:44 AM
*Ring ring*
"Gold and Silver."
"Hey man you got any Battletoads?"
*Click*

That's all I know about Battletoads. It was a video game by Rare.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-06-2016, 11:02 AM
*Ring ring*
"Gold and Silver."
"Hey man you got any Battletoads?"
*Click*

That's all I know about Battletoads. It was a video game by Rare.

:tlol: I'd forgotten about the meme.

Thank you, Internets. :trazz:

GoldMutant
11-06-2016, 11:44 AM
I'd be wary on playing them Cy, the franchise is notorious for it's high difficulty, especially the NES version with two players. They're good in small doses though in my opinion, good visuals, control, and soundtrack, but man the difficulty kills it.

Powder
11-06-2016, 02:20 PM
I'd be wary on playing them Cy, the franchise is notorious for it's high difficulty, especially the NES version with two players. They're good in small doses though in my opinion, good visuals, control, and soundtrack, but man the difficulty kills it.

Agreed. It's an aesthetically pleasing exercise in frustration. If you're looking for some casual fun, don't bother.

Toitlefan
11-06-2016, 03:42 PM
It is a really fun game even with the difficulty but unless you have any nostalgia for the game it might not be worth it.

CyberCubed
11-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Its a hard beat 'em up and Level 3 is impossible to beat. I've owned the game since I was a kid.

Leonardo_thebest
11-06-2016, 08:39 PM
It's a really difficult game. Only Core gamer's should attempt it.

Meow
11-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Looks like a pretty blatant rip-off of TMNT, but not without its own appeal.
Yup it might look like that if you weren't into that back in the days when those games were hip but actually they are anything else than a rip-off. Battletoads have their own magic going on :)

As mentioned by others before the high difficulty kills the gameplay, though made the games rise to the top for all kinds of different reasons as seen for only few titles.

MrPliggins
11-07-2016, 06:26 PM
There was actually a 1-episode Battletoads cartoon series with some of the TMNT voice actors. Anyone remember that?

ssjup81
11-22-2016, 04:24 PM
I remember Battletoads, never played. Had a cartoon series. As a kid watching the OT, I would say without the masks, they look like Battletoads. lol

TigerClaw
11-22-2016, 04:42 PM
I remember Battletoads, never played. Had a cartoon series. As a kid watching the OT, I would say without the masks, they look like Battletoads. lol
It never became a series, Only the pilot episode aired.

GlRMunEPAYg
Battletoads is a half-hour, animated television special produced by DIC Entertainment, airing in syndication in the United States on the weekend of Thanksgiving 1992. It is assumed that the series was an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Incidentally, DiC Entertainment would try this again later on by producing Street Sharks and then later Extreme Dinosaurs. However, only the pilot episode made it to the airwaves; it was never picked up as a full animated series, despite comic-style ads in GamePro magazine claiming otherwise. A VHS tape with the pilot was released in the United States on January 15, 1994. It was developed and written by Phil Harnage and David Wise (who has no relation to the Battletoads video games composer of the same name but was the main writer on the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series).

Set in Oxnard, California, the show stars three Junior High Schoolers (despite the fact that the comic's story revolved around three video game testers). The trio is given the ability to transform into anthropomorphic toads with superhuman strength and the ability to change their arms and legs into weapons in techniques called "Smash Hits". They are charged with protecting Professor T. Bird and Princess Angelica from the Dark Queen, who wants to steal Angelica's magical amulet for her plans of universal conquest.

The pilot served more as a prequel to the video game franchise. The comic with the backstory of Battletoads, written by Rare employee Guy Miller, was also published in Nintendo Power. In 2008, Battletoads was given the #5 place on the list of The 5 Worst One-Shot TV Cartoons Ever Made by Topless Robot. According to Gawker, "Some say it was nothing more than a blatant Ninja Turtles rip off, but Shredder had nothing on the Toads' sexy nemesis, The Dark Queen."

XERO
11-22-2016, 10:42 PM
The soundtracks are amazing.

Anarchistguy
12-31-2016, 01:55 PM
My favorite version is the three player arcade version with its gore and adilt humor

sdp
12-31-2016, 02:04 PM
6eXM7qqeZLwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eXM7qqeZLw

about 9 years ago at we began asking for battletoads at gamestop/walmart/etc, I don't really remember the details of how the joke started, I remember calling a few places and confusing a few employes :lol: Here is one such recording.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-05-2017, 06:07 AM
I had the videogames. Always died at the level 3 scooter-stage.