PDA

View Full Version : Friends & Politics/Opinions

Powder
11-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Seems like everyone's a prissy little boob these days when it comes to their social circles. They've gotta have an echo chamber. This election in particular has brought out a lot of that kinda mind set, not that it hasn't already been becoming more prominent in recent years. It's much bigger than this one presidential candidate shtick, who supports this one or that one, what laws they favor, etc, it comes down to all sorts of things. I can't tell you how many people I've seen cut ties with friends & family members over the most minor difference of opinion on "big issues" or even simpler stuff like comics & TV. You like one version of a pop culture entity over another? F**k you.

Variety is the spice of life, no? I've had friends/acquaintances from all different walks, many of whom being total opposites yet still friendly, or if nothing else, civil with one another. Where I was born & raised in NY, at least years back, you could go to a house party where skinheads, gangbangers, & hippies were all commiserating without a problem. Folks were on different sides of the cultural fence, but respected that they were there for a good time, & entitled to their world view so long as it wasn't used to incite violence or whatever.

Nowdays, you end 20 year relationships over ridiculous political/social stuff. What's wrong with just accepting their world view is different/valid or just avoid conversations of that nature? If you like the same kinda entertainment, hobbies, have history together, why does it all have to come to a close because of a dissenting opinion? I have plenty of friends whose wants for the world make my blood boil, but that doesn't mean we don't have a great time together. I've got best friends who are bible thumping homophobic conservatives & best friends who are atheistic gay liberals, from clean-cut yuppie vegans to drug abusing skateboard punks.

Why should you paint with only half of the colors available to you? That's gonna be a pretty dull canvas.

Are you able to bond with those whose views oppose your own, or are you one of these hug-box pod-people?

TheSkeletonMan939
11-08-2016, 08:17 PM
I don't know or care what my buddies' political preferences are. All I care is that they're decent humans who treat others and themselves with respect.

Prowler
11-08-2016, 08:25 PM
As long as we respect each other it's fine. I tend to avoid arguing about politics with more extreme people such as communist party voters(boy are they passionate :lol:) and peopel who are way to the right. I don't like radical positions and think politics need both left and right wing politics to even out things.

Cant' say I've ever had a big argument about politics. But I've seen some bad ones among family members(you know how some older people care so much about politics).

And yes, knowing people with different opinions and ideologies is a good way to understand life better. Keeping yourself to only a view POVs isn't good. We're not always right and sometimes need a "slap in the face" to wake up and see reality.

Jester
11-08-2016, 08:25 PM
I've always applauded most of my favorite celebs because most of them, I have little clue how they lean politically. And I like it that way. Totally slashes you fan base to get political.

As for friends, I've never unfriended anyone, but I have turned off their notifications, but to be fair it was not all political, I really wish I knew how FB worked, because I swear people I don't care as much about are at the top of my list and people who I care to hear from are buried.

IndigoErth
11-08-2016, 08:28 PM
If they're decent people and we ended up friends then whatever that reason was is good enough. We don't need to see eye to eye on all things. Some subjects are just best left well enough alone. People act as if it's some graven sin to be "tolerant" of differences now. Have to speak out against something now, lest anyone get some kind of idea that they feel/believe the same way. :roll:

As for this political season, well... in places like FB I just simply 'hid' shared junk from pages some (mostly one uncle) was oversharing political views from. I read it, roll my eyes and say nothing.

Prowler
11-08-2016, 08:30 PM
I've always applauded most of my favorite celebs because most of them, I have little clue how they lean politically. And I like it that way. Totally slashes you fan base to get political.

As for friends, I've never unfriended anyone, but I have turned off their notifications, but to be fair it was not all political, I really wish I knew how FB worked, because I swear people I don't care as much about are at the top of my list and people who I care to hear from are buried.
To be honest, you're more likely to get in a fight over soccer than politics here, despite politics also being a big dividing factor. Kinda funny yet messed up, I guess, for a sport to make people go bananas like that.

I don't mind celebrities giving their opinion, but I don't like how certain singers just suddenly go out preaching during concerts. Bono from U2, per example. I don't like the band but know people who do and have been to his concerts... and he'd suddenly start going out about politics and s*it and some people in the audience are like "nobody cares. just sing!"

snake
11-08-2016, 08:55 PM
The folks that I interact with are almost all right wing leaners. I've only met a couple leftists and they've mostly been c*nts to me before I learned their political beliefs. I don't care personally what you think. If tou're cool, you're cool.

Katie
11-08-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't care what my friends and family think politically. I won't end relationships over philosophical views.

I also grew up being taught that discussing religion, politics, and which Alabama football team you pull for is very very rude, so I generally don't get into those discussions. Keeps things civil :)

Prowler
11-08-2016, 08:59 PM
The folks that I interact with are almost all right wing leaners. I've only met a couple leftists and they've mostly been c*nts to me before I learned their political beliefs. I don't care personally what you think. If tou're cool, you're cool.
Aren't in you in high school? Or are you talking about older people you might know?

snake
11-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Aren't in you in high school? Or are you talking about older people you might know?

High school. My school is a trump/libertarian hive mind.

Prowler
11-08-2016, 09:07 PM
High school. My school is a trump/libertarian hive mind.
Eh I don't take HS students political opinions seriously in general lol. No offence. They usually change their minds as they get older. Although many kids back in my HS couldn't care less about politics.

TheSkeletonMan939
11-08-2016, 09:12 PM
In my high school the right wing wasn't looked highly upon.
We once took a self-evaluation over how conservative/liberal we were. Minus meant you were more liberal and plus more conservative.
I remember once the class clown said for everyone to hear, "If anyone here got a plus, get out." Classy.

Prowler
11-08-2016, 09:18 PM
In my high school the right wing wasn't looked highly upon.
We once took a self-evaluation over how conservative/liberal we were. Minus meant you were more liberal and plus more conservative.
I remember once the class clown said for everyone to hear, "If anyone here got a plus, get out." Classy.
In my HS lots of kids only liked smaller leftist parties due to them pushing for weed legalisation.

plastroncafe
11-08-2016, 09:33 PM
I can't be friends with people who don't consider me an equal.

Prowler
11-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Fortunately I don't have that problem. I think I wouldn't really care much if I met a black supremacist either.

Is this what some people call "privilege"?

snake
11-08-2016, 09:55 PM

This lines up with you bringing over a dozen people to go see Fembusters with you. You hang with an SJW gang?

plastroncafe
11-08-2016, 10:01 PM
I'm sure you'd think so.

snake
11-08-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm sure you'd think so.

Grab 'em by the pussy

plastroncafe
11-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Strangely enough, the bigots don't like it when we do that.

CyberCubed
11-08-2016, 10:30 PM
I live in New York so all I know is that Democrats are the "good guys."

snake
11-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Cubed's satire of the average democrat voter is hilarious

Spike Spiegel
11-08-2016, 10:49 PM
I feel somewhat dissociated from humanity in general. A person is cool but as a species we are, collectively speaking, kind of awful.

Most times, I think a person's political views are more informed by their subjective life experiences and upbringing rather than some objective search for the one right way to think and live. We are each trapped to an extent by the circumstances of our birth and the lives we are born into.

Accepting and understanding that makes it easy to relate to and communicate with people on the individual level. If you don't antagonize me, I don't antagonize you.

Candy Kappa
11-09-2016, 02:32 AM
Really depends on the views, I wouldnt be too happy of I knew one of my friends was a neo-nazi for example.

ToTheNines
11-09-2016, 04:55 AM
I feel you, Powder. Pretty much always do.

I have a wide variety of friends who all have wildly different worldviews. You can be different without being butthurt about it.

Even in high school I had good friends who were on the baseball team, basketball team, tennis team, chorus, student government, and of course the stoners, skaters, nerds, rednecks and cholos. I never did the whole clique thing.

trump/libertarian

Do not use in same sentence.

Also, "libertarian" and "hivemind" are oxymorons, too.

snake
11-09-2016, 06:02 AM

Do not use in same sentence.

Also, "libertarian" and "hivemind" are oxymorons, too.

Nah it's easy to pick out who's who. I didn't mean that they're the same group.

ToTheNines
11-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Nah it's easy to pick out who's who. I didn't mean that they're the same group.

Gotcha, carry on

We would have been tight in high school, even if you're a Trumpalo lol.

plastroncafe
11-09-2016, 07:56 AM
....TRUMPALO!
Okay, that's made this entire thread for me. Thanks!

Krutch
11-09-2016, 11:18 AM
I grew up as a Juggalo, so, y'know...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Strangely enough, the bigots don't like it when we do that.

:tlol: :tlol: :tlol:

CyberCubed
11-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Deplorables. Deplorables everywhere.

ProactiveMan
11-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Really depends on the views, I wouldnt be too happy of I knew one of my friends was a neo-nazi for example.

Been there - It was awkward.

snake
11-10-2016, 06:10 AM
Gotcha, carry on

We would have been tight in high school, even if you're a Trumpalo lol.

....TRUMPALO!
Okay, that's made this entire thread for me. Thanks!

I prefer Trumpkin :lol:

Candy Kappa
11-10-2016, 06:20 AM
I prefer Trumpkin :lol:

The ultimate otherkin...

The Deadman
11-10-2016, 07:20 AM
I grew up as a Juggalo, so, y'know...

Im so sorry...

Krutch
11-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Im so sorry...It's cool. Juggalos today have it so much worse than I ever did so I can't really complain.

CyberCubed
11-11-2016, 12:43 PM
We are a nation of deplorables. Deplorables among us. God I love that word.

I never heard of the word "deplorables" before this election. Its now my new favorite word. I'm probably going to use it all the time.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-11-2016, 12:46 PM
We are a nation of deplorables. Deplorables among us. God I love that word.

I never heard of the word "deplorables" before this election. Its now my new favorite word. I'm probably going to use it all the time.

Your education barely deserves the name...

Jester
11-11-2016, 12:46 PM
#ThanksHillary

CyberCubed
11-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Well Trump created a new word too apparently, "Bigly." I wonder if he realizes bigly is not a real word?

Jester
11-11-2016, 12:52 PM
We would have also accepted "Yuge" and "Jina".

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-11-2016, 12:53 PM
We would have also accepted "Yuge" and "Jina".

"Jina?" Isn't that what he grabs women by? :tconfuse:

Powder
11-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Yeah, maybe try not to sh*t my thread up. Thanks.

Sage Ninja
11-13-2016, 10:05 AM
I fall some where in the middle. I used to be super leftist but as I have gotten older I find I have some conservative views as well. A friend of mine who was really rigidly conservative is now becoming more liberal. I guess with experience your views just evolve. As for the election, I feel we were screwed no matter who got in. I don't care either one of them.

Several people are saying they are heading to Canada, wouldn't it be delicious irony if Canada threw up a wall to keep people from the US from coming over illegally or not?

Jester
11-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I feel my views have moderated as I've aged and extremes on either side stick in my craw. Especially the rigidity of it all. To be honest the negativity on both sides more than the specific view points are what tend to make me want to mute them.

Sage Ninja
11-13-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm honestly getting sick of extreme liberals and conservatives.

PApagreg
11-13-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm honestly getting sick of extreme liberals and conservatives.

So far I'm more annoyed with strawman democrats and republicans(especially since I live with one of them)

sdp
11-13-2016, 12:06 PM
While my views had always differed I used to think that at least democrats were good but after 8 years of Obama I realized the party and supporters got as bad as I used to see the Republicans with Bush and that they don't really support people to be "free" they just want their views on everyone. So yes when we get to extremes both sides are just as bad and just because one is trying to defend the "good" things it doesn't mean they're doing it correctly or not going overboard. As much as we have an Alt-Right I think what we call SJW are essentially the Alt-Left.

Now when it comes relationships whether they are at work/friends/etc you need to keep stuff like politics/religion out of it because you can't work with people who only think like you, anything you do will require contact with other opinions so just avoid it unless it's actually affecting you directly .

plastroncafe
11-13-2016, 12:16 PM
At least one knows where one stands with the folks on the fringes.
It's pretty much their only silver lining.

CyberCubed
11-14-2016, 02:47 AM
Just found out my rich white uncle who lives in New Jersey voted for Trump, as did my Aunt who also lives in New Jersey and their families. They're both in their 50's, and they're fairly upper-middle class since they live in huge houses with 3-4 bedrooms and own a lot of property.

Deplorables! But it really puts into perspective the age gap, they're in their 50's and they have a lot of money, so of course they voted for Trump of all people.

Deplorables! I disown them.