PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know all of the songs parodied in the OT Howie episodes?

LuckyLadybug
11-11-2016, 07:12 PM
So I rewatched the two Howie episodes from season 4, Name That Toon and Menace, Maestro, Please, and I wondered again what the songs are that Howie parodies. As an oldies buff, I recognized a couple, but most of them leave me baffled.

Why Can't I Be a Teenager With a Shell? - parody of Why Must I Be a Teenage in Love?

I recognize the melody of the song he plays when the Turtles fight with Bebop and Rocksteady in his apartment, but I don't know what it's called.

The song he plays on the pipe organ sounds like a parody of Great Balls of Fire.

And everything else I have no clue on. I especially wonder what song he's parodying for The Phantom of the Floxy.

neatoman
11-12-2016, 04:31 AM
I don't think I've ever seen one of the episodes featuring him, all I know about him is that James Rolfe said he's possibly the worst TMNT character ever. Would you agree with that statement?

Icebot
11-12-2016, 04:50 AM
In Menace Maestro Please when:

Howie sings: "I worked with an alien whose name is Irk!"
Raphael sings "If Shredder gets that spaceship, you'll be a big jerk!"

It's probably just me but the melody in that sounds like "Do wah ditty ditty dum ditty do" by Mandred Mann.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
11-12-2016, 07:16 AM
I don't think I've ever seen one of the episodes featuring him, all I know about him is that James Rolfe said he's possibly the worst TMNT character ever. Would you agree with that statement?

He's in "Name That Toon" and "Menace Maestro Please". They aired over TV 1000.

oldmanwinters
11-12-2016, 07:18 AM

Hmm... is Howie worse than Mr. Ogg?

Yeah. Yeah, I guess he is!

cammy85
11-12-2016, 09:01 AM
"Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight" is also parodied as a fight song in "Name That Toon" as well.

CyberCubed
11-12-2016, 12:13 PM
I never had a problem with Howie.

oldmanwinters
11-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Most of the Howie songs are just terrible that it's a relief when Rocksteady takes his keyboard and says "I hate songs written in C sharp."

However, his "Heroes in a Halfshell" take is actually really catchy, and very comparable to the "Pizza Power" remix that plays in the Turtles in Time arcade intro opening! Wouldn't surprise me if it might have even been written by Chuck Lorre as an alternative theme song that was never used!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaEmR7MXxM#t=17m21s

Cryomancer
11-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Hmm... is Howie worse than Mr. Ogg?

Yeah. Yeah, I guess he is!

100% absolutely worse. Ogg at least gave us Shredder, the art collector.

oldmanwinters
11-12-2016, 09:00 PM
100% absolutely worse. Ogg at least gave us Shredder, the art collector.

Quite right!

ssjup81
11-12-2016, 10:22 PM
I never had a problem with Howie.I didn't have a prob with Howie, but Mr. Ogg was terribly annoying, imo.

cammy85
11-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Most of the Howie songs are just terrible that it's a relief when Rocksteady takes his keyboard and says "I hate songs written in C sharp."

However, his "Heroes in a Halfshell" take is actually really catchy, and very comparable to the "Pizza Power" remix that plays in the Turtles in Time arcade intro opening! Wouldn't surprise me if it might have even been written by Chuck Lorre as an alternative theme song that was never used!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaEmR7MXxM#t=17m21s

My thoughts exactly!!! Well, once the game came out anyway. :) I didn't find out about the Turtles in Time arcade until MAME. :(

Ogg.. yeah, I can't stand that episode even though Pee-wee Herman was a childhood favorite as well. Just cringeworthy on so many levels.

11-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Why Can't I Be a Teenager With a Shell? - parody of Why Must I Be a Teenage in Love?

I recognize the melody of the song he plays when the Turtles fight with Bebop and Rocksteady in his apartment, but I don't know what it's called.

It's called "A Teenager in Love"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Teenager_in_Love

LuckyLadybug
11-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the help with the songs, people!

I sort of wondered if this topic might wander off into complaints about Howie if I posted it, but I took the chance anyway. ;) Regarding Howie vs. Mr. Ogg: Howie could never be anywhere near the aggravation levels of Ogg. :) He's not even close to the aggravation levels of the Polarisoids. Video-taping your vacations by literally capturing them, and being fully aware you're doing it? **headdesk.** (At least the original Polarisoid was better in the sequel, but then we were introduced to his two brats. Yikes!)

TheJ-manTurtleMan
11-15-2016, 05:14 PM
I re-watched these episodes after seeing this thread. Now I've been singing "Heroes in a half-shell, they ain't no enchilada" In my head over and over, and over, and over...

cammy85
11-16-2016, 09:21 AM
IKR?? That episode was the last in the block before my station went back to the first episode so I was left with a feeling of "Awesome finale!" and "No wonder they waited to air these!!"

LuckyLadybug
11-16-2016, 09:46 PM
I re-watched these episodes after seeing this thread. Now I've been singing "Heroes in a half-shell, they ain't no enchilada" In my head over and over, and over, and over...

LOL! :) I rather like that a thread I started inspired a re-watch of something! I re-watched them again too, still puzzling over the unidentified songs. Someday I'll probably stumble on some tunes and suddenly realize, "Hey! These are the ones they used!"

pferreira
11-17-2016, 09:14 AM
I never had a problem with Howie. Whoever came up and voiced the character did a terrific job. Having said that what I found annoying at times was he would use the worst moments to launch into a song. I think that was supposed to be annoying intentionally, the songs and singing voice was great though.

LuckyLadybug
11-17-2016, 08:31 PM
LOL. Yeah, I think that was part of the point and the humor, that he picked the worst possible moments to make up a song. Especially the fighting song. ("Ninja Turtles, fighting through my song!" LOL.)

11-18-2016, 11:51 AM
I have no problems with him.