PDA

View Full Version : Which era of animated Michelangelo is your favourite?

Shellington
11-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Michelangelo strikes me as the Turtle that has changed the most with each decade, in keeping with each young generation's tastes and likings. Which TMNT show gave your favourite portrayal of Mikey?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-14-2016, 03:44 PM
2003. He wasn't a frakking idiot in it, just the annoying little brother.

As opposed to 2012, where he is ALL heart... and brain damage.

2K3
11-14-2016, 04:36 PM
2K3 Mikey

His scream... that is all!!!

ToTheNines
11-14-2016, 04:46 PM
I love them all, but 2k3 and Nick have serious downsides, post-season one.

2003. He wasn't a frakking idiot in it, just the annoying little brother.

As opposed to 2012, where he is ALL heart... and brain damage.

His frequent cowardice got on my nerves more than anything. He'd also be more palatable if PL let other characters share the comic relief burden from time to time.

IndigoErth
11-14-2016, 05:30 PM
That's hard to say, it's a toss up for me between '87 and '03. Like prob most, I prefer him not as an idiot and I like that in the first series he's just that easy going sort, he's not making stupid mistakes all the time just for being Mikey; screws ups aren't because he's him, rather just because it happens sometimes. 2003 can be a little bit of a dope at times and a bit of the 'annoying little brother,' but at least he's far from being a complete idiot and is quite capable.

*sigh* 2012... He's cute, lovable, etc., but this Mikey was clearly dropped on his head before he hatched.

Here's to hoping that their next cartoon incarnation regains him some IQ points.

Andrew NDB
11-14-2016, 05:38 PM
They're all rubbish.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
I'm with Indigo. Both the 87 and 03 versions had their good points but I would love to see a happy medium between the two.

Icebot
11-14-2016, 06:42 PM
My favorite is 1987 Mikey, although 2003 comes close. Love his surfer accent! I especially like 2003 Mikey in Fast Forward.

DisKosh
11-14-2016, 06:47 PM
This is a hard one and for me it's a tie between 2003 and 2012.

I would be tempted to go more with 2012 because when they write him well, he is hands down favourite portrayal of the character (outside of Mirage). He's a skilled fighter, he's compassionate, laid back, I love that about him.

Then again, they make him too stupid at times and it's really frustrating because I know they can write him well. Like in the episode with the giant wasp ('Parasitica' I think it's called) he saved his brothers. I like to think of myself as an fairly intelligent person but I'd struggle with that (then again, I'm not good with verbal instructions, it has to be written).

He's not as endearing in the 2003 series but I still love him and I still find him adorable, but they don't treat him like an idiot and he can be really insightful at times.

Ugh, ultimately I have to go with 2012 but I have major objections to how they make him seem stupid. I also heard that allegedly (though I can't find a reliable source so take it with a pinch of salt) he's meant to have ADHD which makes it worse. People with ADHD aren't stupid, sometimes it takes them longer to process things due to finding it harder to filter out distractions, but they are not stupid. Anyway, minor rant over, I can still take every version as they come and enjoy them all. :tsmile:

FredWolfLeonardo
87 by far, anyone who disagrees is just blatantly wrong

Powder
I love them all, but 2k3 and Nick have serious downsides, post-season one.

This.

They're all rubbish.

& kiiiiiiinda sorta this. I mean, I think they're great & have their own merits but they're so far from what Michelangelo is meant to be (Mirage). They do just fine with the personality the develop for him, but for me the best Mikey is the orignal Mikey, most especially during the Image run. A very emotionally in-touch little soul who loves the arts & does everything in his power to be a joy in his family's otherwise somewhat bleek life.

This is so ignorant. Have your preferences, sure, but Fred Wolf destroyed Michelagenlo for the rest of eternity. Thanks to that show he'll never be seen as anything more than a vapid goofball.

Don't me wrong, I love him ( Townsend alike, after all I coughed up a nice chunk of change for an autographed photo recently :tlol:) but it's the truth, lovable as he is. 1987's benefit over the other two is that he's never annoying, at least.

Andrew NDB
11-14-2016, 06:49 PM
& kiiiiiiinda sorta this. I mean, I think they're great & have their own merits but they're so far from what Michelangelo is meant to be (Mirage). They do just fine with the personality the develop for him, but for me the best Mikey is the orignal Mikey, most especially during the Image run. A very emotionally in-touch little soul who loves the arts & does everything in his power to be a joy in his family's otherwise somewhat bleek life.

It's much more difficult to go "He's the most human of the Turtles, the most empathic and creative," and much easier to go, "Cowabunga! He's the wild'n crazy party duuuuude! Surf's up, man! Did someone say PIIIZZZA???" and fill some sort of cardboard "party guy" archetype.

For shame.

plastroncafe
11-14-2016, 06:51 PM
If most of our media is to be trusted, writing competent comic relief is hard.

WebLurker
11-14-2016, 08:44 PM
I'd have to say that 2012 Mikey is the best one. Best voice acting and a decent range of episodes (although they have done a few kinds too many times).

The '87 one was okay, but the voice was grating. '03 was the most annoying part of his show (and had even worse voice acting to '87).

As a secondary pick, I'd argue that TMNT did a really good, albeit underused, Mikey.

Shark_Blade
11-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Greg Cipes. His Mikey screams are priceless.

Ulisa
11-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Mikey has always been my favorite. I can't really think of version of him that I didn't like but as for my favorite, it's definitely the 1987 version. While he can get a little over-the-top, he was shown to be caring, fun-loving, and yet still a competent fighter. He is fully capable of taking care of himself, as much as his brothers can.

2003 Mikey is probably second. I just feel that they put way too much emphasis on him to be comic relief. I wanted to see this Mikey in more of the "character-building" arcs that his brothers (especially Leo) seemed to get thrust into. They had a couple of really good opportunities for it but never seemed to take it. Of all the turtles, I feel this Mikey really became his stereotype. Though, he still can make me laugh!

2012 Mikey while I like...ugh, they just cannot write him. He is either completely brain-dead or completely dismissed by his family. They have had a few instances where they seem to get close to how to write him well but it never seems to stick. Such missed opportunities here.

LuckyLadybug
11-16-2016, 10:09 PM
I have to admit, I voted for the 87 Mikey, but that may or may not be because I'm so in love with the 87 series right now. I found the 2003 version extremely aggravating when I was watching the show.... It seemed like he never knew how to be serious, even when there was a situation that called for it. About the only time I really liked him was in the AU episode Same As It Never Was, although at the same time that was a really heartbreaking portrayal. I might feel differently about the 2003 Mikey now, as I liked him okay when I re-watched the first half of season 1 (which is all I own of that series on DVD). And I can't comment on the 2012 version, as I ... actually haven't seen any of that version beyond clips. (I'd watch if I had easier legal access to it without buying it.... Our library doesn't have any of it, sigh.)

I like to write him as the most empathetic/compassionate/forgiving Turtle, but I'm not sure if I'm picking that up from the 87 version's actions or if it's just a general vibe I get.

WebLurker
11-17-2016, 09:42 AM
And I can't comment on the 2012 version, as I ... actually haven't seen any of that version beyond clips. (I'd watch if I had easier legal access to it without buying it.... Our library doesn't have any of it, sigh.)

Does your library offer interlibrary loans? That's one way I get material that not physically located in the public branch. Also, many libraries have way that a patron can request materials be purchased for the collection.

GoldMutant
11-17-2016, 10:04 AM
All three have their ups and downs. Can't say any one of the three are "the best" personally, I think Robbie Rist was the best Michelangelo outside the comics.

With Townsend Coleman's Michelangelo, it's honestly my favorite voice of the three. He didn't fully get on my nerves, Mikey here was just a guy I can have fun being with, same with Raphael or even Casey Jones in that series.

At the same, I gotta agree with Powder. It doomed Mikey to be mere comic relief; at times too, Mikey can get a bit a grating with his pizza addiction. Not too bad mind you, but just tiring.

2003 Michelangelo I honestly hate. He was fine at first, but dear Yoshi he became horrible. He may have started out good and got some good jokes, but the overall cowardice he has and arrogance following Battle Nexus... non bene, mi amici. It's not just his character, I hated Wayne Grayson's voice. It sounds too much like Coleman for me; he has his moments, but I can't fully stomach him.

2k12 Mikey... it's heavily mixed. As I've said in the past, when he's written past the comedic goofball, it's honestly the best blend of Mikey. Considering Into Dimension X!, It Came from the Depths as well as little moments like in Manhattan Project and Wrath of Tiger Claw, he's really good. Creative, emotional, even serious when needed. That's what I want in my Mikey. He does bear the distinction of having some of my least favorite Nick episodes though, notably The Croaking and Turtles in Time. It really depends who write him and the show as of now is still running, so there's some time.

Ultimately, if held at gun point I'd vote Nick Mikey in terms of character (when not annoying) and voice Townsend. However, none are perfect for me; I'd really love if James Arnold Taylor got another shot voicing in TMNT, this time as Mikey rather than Leonardo. Dunno why, just see Taylor as the ideal Mikey for some reason.

pferreira
11-17-2016, 10:04 AM
87 by far, anyone who disagrees is just blatantly wrongOh you. :lol:

LuckyLadybug
11-17-2016, 09:35 PM
Does your library offer interlibrary loans? That's one way I get material that not physically located in the public branch. Also, many libraries have way that a patron can request materials be purchased for the collection.

They offer inter-library loans, but some of the other libraries in the area won't loan out audio-visual materials that way. And my library charges shipping costs for inter-library loans. Ugh. I've never had a library do that before. That's a thought about requesting my library purchase some, though.

Oh, and yes, I must comment in agreement to 2003 Mikey following Battle Nexus. UGGGH. He really was insufferable after that.

WebLurker
11-17-2016, 09:45 PM
They offer inter-library loans, but some of the other libraries in the area won't loan out audio-visual materials that way.

I think the libraries need to be part of the same library "network" to make an interlibrary loan, although mine does have a process to check out materials from outside the system. I've never heard of a library refusing an interlibrary loan (unless one of their patrons requested the item or something). Apparently there are different models.

And my library charges shipping costs for inter-library loans. Ugh. I've never had a library do that before.

I've never heard of a library doing that either. That definitely sucks.

That's a thought about requesting my library purchase some, though.

If you decide to try that, hope it works.

Optimus Primer
11-18-2016, 12:01 PM

This is so ignorant. Have your preferences, sure, but Fred Wolf destroyed Michelangelo for the rest of eternity. Thanks to that show he'll never be seen as anything more than a vapid goofball.

I agree with Powder. Anyone who's not a TMNT fan just thinks all the Turtles are like 87 Mikey. I saw this Target ad where the 4 Turtles (in toy form) are sitting a table eating pizza. All of them have surfer accents and are yelling Cowabunga. I love 87 Mikey, but that incarnation stereotyped the TMNT in the public's eye since the show came out.

Jester
11-18-2016, 01:10 PM
I can tell you which is my LEAST favorite...but I hate repeating myself.

:D

Candy Kappa
11-18-2016, 01:30 PM
It's a hard one... 2k3 Mikey have been completely ruined for me after the Ninja Tribunal and I loathe him with a fiery passion, at best. FW Mikey is pretty stock, and not much to him besides his Party-Dude shtick.

I think I like Nick Mikey the most of the three animated series, but he makes it really hard to like him at times. But when he shines, he shines.

IndigoErth
11-18-2016, 03:32 PM
I agree with Powder. Anyone who's not a TMNT fan just thinks all the Turtles are like 87 Mikey. I saw this Target ad where the 4 Turtles (in toy form) are sitting a table eating pizza. All of them have surfer accents and are yelling Cowabunga. I love 87 Mikey, but that incarnation stereotyped the TMNT in the public's eye since the show came out.
Words right out of my mouth, the holiday commercials Target has had the last couple years with the toys come to life were cute, but the Leo figure last year sounded more like a Mikey. :ohwell:

CyberCubed
11-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Which separates the casuals from the real fans. Everyone knows the other 3 Turtles didn't talk like Michaelangelo in the original toon. They all loved pizza, but that was about it.

Saying the Fred Wolf Turtles were, "All Michaelangelo's" is the dumbest stereotype I see posted on the internet.

WebLurker
11-18-2016, 11:33 PM
Words right out of my mouth, the holiday commercials Target has had the last couple years with the toys come to life were cute, but the Leo figure last year sounded more like a Mikey. :ohwell:

So I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Tetsu Deinonychus
11-19-2016, 10:56 AM
I kinda wish Imagi Mikey was an option here, because he was a good balance between goofy and laid-back, and was essentially a CG version of classic movie Mikey.

Really, my favourite Michelangelo over all is Archie Mike. Mirage Mike is just a bit bland being mostly just "the nice one" and occasionally "the artistic one". Archie Mike combines that with just a touch of "party dude" but not enough to be obnoxious. Basically he's the best of both worlds, he's compassionate and creative like Mirage Mike, but fun-loving and humorous like cartoon mike.

Anyway, I voted for the Nickelodeon version. He may be a tad obnoxious, but he's very funny and entertaining, and I really like Greg Cipes in the role.

Powder
11-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Mirage Michelangelo is still plenty fun-loving & humorous. I'm thinking you've not read a lot of it.

slingtheory
11-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Gotta go with 2003. Yeah he can be insufferably annoying at times but hey he's just that kind of little brother. Plus beyond the bad jokes and teasing when he's not trying to make his brothers laugh or get under their shells you can tell there's more to the guy.he's not stupid just a slacker trying to have a little fun. 2012 is a close second. I love cipes in the role I just find his mikey too scatter brained and reckless a lot of the time. Like the time he almost turned himself into a giant pimple because he thought he could double mutate himself into a super mutant. That's epic levels of stupid right there.

myconius
11-20-2016, 11:34 PM
Mirage Mike is just a bit bland being mostly just "the nice one" and occasionally "the artistic one".

can't say i'm seeing where this is coming from?

"Pride goeth before a fall, buddy."

Casey
11-21-2016, 11:08 AM
"The Gang's All Here" :tlol:

swing_kinker
11-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Odd for a fella in his 30s but it's 2012 for me. 87 was never my favourite despite being everyone around me's favourite. 03 was fine but 2012connects more in terms of cute and loveable. Works in the context of the show......my wife loves him too and that's what helped her like the turtles

MsMarvelDuckie
11-22-2016, 07:53 PM

Oddly enough I agree. Aside from a very few other episodes this one is my favorite due to how well it shows Michelangelo's various sides.

Shark_Blade
11-22-2016, 11:27 PM

Which Mikey is that?

MikeandRaph87
11-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Which Mikey is that?

Michelangelo as a human from the season 3 episode of the 1987 cartoon, "The Gang's All Here".
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/0071-492x375.jpg

pferreira
11-24-2016, 10:10 AM
"The Gang's All Here" :tlol:I like that episode although I think it was wrong to take away Mikey's martial arts training when he turned into a human. It ends up coming across like the Turtles only got their ninjutsu skills due to mutating.

Powder
11-24-2016, 01:44 PM
It makes sense, though. He would be seriously thrown off being in an entirely different weight class without his shell & the bulk of his muscle mass.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Not to mention that turtles dont have the same abdominal muscle structure as humans. He probably didn't know how to fully control his "new" body. At least that's how I've always seen it.

FredWolfLeonardo
11-24-2016, 10:15 PM
I always found it really funny when Mikeys transformation magically gave him shoes and at the end of the episode, donatellos antitode erased all of his clothing out of existence.

CyberCubed
11-25-2016, 12:54 PM
If we ever see the IDW comics in cartoon form, I have to say IDW Michelangelo is shaping up to be the perfect blend of all the cartoon Mike's and Mirage Mike.

He still loves pizza and jokes around, but he has a lot of heart and isn't portrayed as stupid in IDW.

Shark_Blade
11-25-2016, 06:02 PM
He's not stupid AT ALL in IDW tbh, the greatest Mikey imo.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-25-2016, 08:54 PM
He reminds me of 90's movie Mikey actually. Well-rounded, fun, goofy at times, but still smart and compassionate. I really like IWD's version. I would love to see who would voice him if they ever did a cartoon of that version.

ssjup81
11-25-2016, 09:54 PM
I can't properly vote since I can only compare OT Mikey and 2k12 Mikey, but between these two, I lean slightly more towards OT Mikey. He was playful and stuff, but took things seriously when needed. He also didn't come across as stupid or anything. I like 2k12 Mikey, though too.

As for non-animated Mikey, I lean towards 1990 Mikey and Archie Mikey.Not to mention that turtles dont have the same abdominal muscle structure as humans. He probably didn't know how to fully control his "new" body. At least that's how I've always seen it.I can buy this, but not the years of martial arts training. He should've still been able to wield a pair of nunchucks around without too much of an issue. His level of strength dropping to a human's level makes sense.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Keep in mind that when he left the lair as a human he didn't even HAVE his chucks. All he had was his skateboard and he somehow lost even THAT! The few times he is shown fighting in that ep, he does it hand to hand, and he either trounces the opponent (Jersey Red when he slips in to help April and B&R later when he "flips" to mutant form) or GETS trounced when fighting as a human. I never thought Splinter's comment about losing his skills was meant literally so much as losing the control over his body that allowed him to fight. He didn't lose the SKILLS but rather the control neccessary to USE them. It would be like learning to walk all over again with a prosthetic limb- you know HOW, but the control doesn't come as easily. It makes a big difference. Also turtles have more developed senses of smell and hearing than humans. I imagine that would affect him as well.

Ulisa
11-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Keep in mind that when he left the lair as a human he didn't even HAVE his chucks. All he had was his skateboard and he somehow lost even THAT! The few times he is shown fighting in that ep, he does it hand to hand, and he either trounces the opponent (Jersey Red when he slips in to help April and B&R later when he "flips" to mutant form) or GETS trounced when fighting as a human. I never thought Splinter's comment about losing his skills was meant literally so much as losing the control over his body that allowed him to fight. He didn't lose the SKILLS but rather the control neccessary to USE them. It would be like learning to walk all over again with a prosthetic limb- you know HOW, but the control doesn't come as easily. It makes a big difference. Also turtles have more developed senses of smell and hearing than humans. I imagine that would affect him as well.

I always thought it to be something like this, mainly contributed to balance. Someone mentioned earlier that his human body is much lighter than his turtle one, what with the lack of a shell and that would throw off your sense of balance. Especially in most martial arts, the strengthening of your core muscles and your sense of balance were essential to performing the simplest of moves. I remember taking some martial arts as a kid and if you had a head cold, you might as well not come in because your balance was so off that you would be tripping all over the place with stances that otherwise were a piece of cake.

So, Mikey most likely still remembered how to perform all these moves but with his balance thrown off, his motion of them is thrown off. Had Mikey stayed human longer, I'd imagine he would have adjusted to the new body and once he became accustomed to it, been able to jump right back into his training.

pferreira
12-01-2016, 09:58 AM
It makes sense, though. He would be seriously thrown off being in an entirely different weight class without his shell & the bulk of his muscle mass.That's a good way to look at it, yeah that's interesting.

billbot85
12-10-2016, 10:29 PM
1987 Mikey all the way. He was my favorite turtle as a kid (eventually it became Raph). But I think 1990 Movie Mikey is my absolute fav hands down.