PDA

View Full Version : Official Episode Discussion S4 Ep 22: The Power Inside Her *Episode 100*

victory_angel
11-19-2016, 11:23 PM
Happy Milestone, guys! We are now officially at the 100th episode of the Nick Turtles show.

This time all the build up to Dark April is coming to a head as April becomes possessed by a being called Ra-Zamon!

Peter Dicicco is the writer of this episode so prepare for Donatello abuse.

As a reminder this episode will air at 9:00. Only four episodes to go as we enter another hiatus. Hopefully we can get the last four episodes of the season real soon.

I.E. Thanksgiving week (break)

December 4th -Episode 23

December 11th-Episode 24

December 18th-Episodes 25-26.

Even if it only aired on the Nick Site for right now. But that still rests in the hands of the staff at nick.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 01:28 AM
I.E. Thanksgiving week (break)

December 4th -Episode 23

December 11th-Episode 24

December 18th-Episodes 25-26.

Even if it only aired on the Nick Site for right now. But that still rests in the hands of the staff at nick.

There won't be an episode on December 4th because Zap2it would have added the new episodes days ago. I expect the last 4 episodes will air in January.

victory_angel
11-20-2016, 01:38 AM
There won't be an episode on December 4th because Zap2it would have added the new episodes days ago. I expect the last 4 episodes will air in January.

That's the schedule I wished they had. But it's purely up to Nickelodeon. The best we can hope for is that the final episodes are aired on Nick.com

Currently Nick.com has all of season 1 unlocked and free to watch on their site.

JTH
11-20-2016, 01:59 AM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

I urge anyoene who has now seen it, to not spoiler a shred of this episode.

Everyone deserves to watch this pure & clean. :cry:

Redworld96
11-20-2016, 02:15 AM
Watched. Prepare to freak out guys. There is no censorship in this episode .... even although is not for kids XD

So Peter Di Cicco was not lying to me that day with this tweet after all (big spoiler here ... )

http://66.media.tumblr.com/ea83c47c91dba6d34570c40a0d482d2f/tumblr_oc9zpqbtj71rmhk25o1_1280.png
First the IDW Donatello in #44 issue ... now the 2k12 Donatello in the episode 100

JTH: Is this not a spoiler post as long as you dont open the spoiler box

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 02:56 AM
Holy ****, that was shocking :o

Redworld96
11-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Holy ****, that was shocking :o

The adjetive schoking falls short to me .... :cry:

Really a decent 100th episode

victory_angel
11-20-2016, 03:02 AM
The adjetive schoking falls short to me .... :cry:

That was beyond intense. I wish it was more drawn out...but wow.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 03:15 AM
I can't believe it, i'm actually too scared to watch this episode again.

Were the censor people drunk or something.

Powder
11-20-2016, 03:19 AM
What are you all raving about being so inappropriate? I saw it, nothing stuck out to me as needing to be censored whatsoever.

Not big on this episode overall. Good to see at least one plot thread come to a close, but it's not one that I've particularly enjoyed. All of this April stuff has done nothing for me. & the big moment with you know who was even more short-lived than I expected (perhaps for the best). Couldn't feel any emotional impact from that as I saw it coming & knew it wouldn't last. They've been playing around with "death" too much, it doesn't resonate for me anymore.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 03:45 AM
What are you all raving about being so inappropriate? I saw it, nothing stuck out to me as needing to be censored whatsoever.

Not big on this episode overall. Good to see at least one plot thread come to a close, but it's not one that I've particularly enjoyed. All of this April stuff has done nothing for me. & the big moment with you know who was even more short-lived than I expected (perhaps for the best). Couldn't feel any emotional impact from that as I saw it coming & knew it wouldn't last. They've been playing around with "death" too much, it doesn't resonate for me anymore.

It's one of those episodes you going to either love it or hate it, if your not a fan of April and her powers then you won't think much of this episode.

I'm not a fan of April and her powers but to me it was mostly shocking and a little bit emotional because all the stuff that happened to the others.

don't open if you haven't seen it I'm warning you not to go further if you haven't seen itBones cracking, strangulation, Donnie death/turning into dust

Powder
11-20-2016, 03:49 AM
I don't think any of that was all too bad, really. The last episode was far more brutal.

Haalix
11-20-2016, 04:18 AM
The episode was good no denying that but compared to the last two, and considering all the build-up... It wasn't as good. I don't know, I certainly enjoyed the episode, and I love the way the last episodes are getting really dark but this one just didn't do it for me.
Surprised they showed Donnie's death like that but I wished they did more... I don't know, something more with Donnie and April. Wish it was Donnie getting hurt in the end instead of Raph. Love all turtle torture but Donnie seemed the more logical one to be seriously hurt by April, and snap her out of it while she's hurting him.

The scene that I enjoyed the most was Leo holding April in the lair, and carrying her. :D

Also Casey wasn't as annoying as other episodes, I actually liked him.

8/10 for me overall.

victory_angel
11-20-2016, 05:51 AM
We didn't see that talk with splinter that is shown in the trailers. Perhaps this hiatus won't be too long.

Mukouno
11-20-2016, 06:05 AM
In all honesty this episode was... meh. For the 100th episode I expected something more, this was really disappointing. The last two were sooo good and now we go into hiatus again with... this. Not saying it was terrible, but... boring, honestly.
Seriously, I wasn't moved at all when Donnie 'died'. Everyone knows he'll come back. :roll:
The only good thing in this episode was Raph, I liked his attitude, but that's about it.

JTH
11-20-2016, 06:05 AM
Well, I did call one thing from the start:http://orig03.deviantart.net/b16f/f/2016/099/d/6/april_kissed_donnie_by_lullabystars-d9ybexi.png
"Thought I'd lost you for a minute there..."

They did foreshadow his death. :o

snake
11-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Forgot it was on lol

Did [REDACTED] really die? Or was it a fake "twist"?

Redworld96
11-20-2016, 07:22 AM
Forgot it was on lol

Did [REDACTED] really die? Or was it a fake "twist"?

Fake twist. April managed to bring him back later :) But that death was schoking to me

snake
11-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Fake twist. April managed to bring him back later :) But that death was schoking to me

VtmXrbf09HI

JTH
11-20-2016, 07:31 AM
They did their version of X-Men III better than X-Men III did. :D

thundermaster612
11-20-2016, 07:33 AM
I think it's gonna be a 2 week hiatus judging by the little commercial that came after. BUT GODAMMIT PETER. WHY DO YOU WANNA KILL DON SO MUCH?

Redworld96
11-20-2016, 07:35 AM
I think it's gonna be a 2 week hiatus judging by the little commercial that came after. BUT GODAMMIT PETER. WHY DO YOU WANNA KILL DON SO MUCH?

I think the hiatus will end at January. Zap2it didnt announce any episode for december.
Peter said he was trying to kill Donnie so ... he finally did it XD

Aaronardo
11-20-2016, 07:39 AM
As well-written as that was, the episode greatly suffered from the show's unwillingness to commit to a plot outside of the main plot longer than an episode. They could've kept Dark April around until the end of the season, and they could've kept Donnie dead to really shake up the show and make it very interesting.

But, instead, Di Cicco was probably forced to give it a happy ending and thus, the ending feels very forced. That's too bad, because outside of that, the episode was pretty well done. Up until the third act it was one of my favorite episodes of the show (despite how much I don't particularly like the April mind power subplot).

ToTheNines
11-20-2016, 07:40 AM
I liked the tone they kept with this one. Some of the dialogue was pure Narm, but the weather and the new musical cues made it pretty interesting.

And even though TC/Rahzar/Fishface got punked AGAIN, it was a really cool action sequence with Casey.

Lol @ the Mutagen Man shout out.

Mhm. I've hated the whole Aeon crystal thing. There was enough mystery revolving around April's origin/powers and how they relate to The Kraang. We didn't need to have another random alien monkey wrench thrown into the mix.

But hey, it's over.

Did you guys notice the ad for "Mutagen Madness"? It's an unspecified amount of new episodes being aired "back to back to back".

I reckon it'll be 23-24 in two weeks, then 25-26 the following week. Sweet!

drgon78
11-20-2016, 07:41 AM
I liked the episode but I am very disappointed that "Dark April" only lasted the one episode.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 07:44 AM
I did love this episode but not as much as the last 2, i'm just glad Dark April was only one episode because the Turtles can now focus on stopping Shredder in the last 4 episodes.

The animation was amazing in this episode so breathtaking.

I noticed Mikey was on the sidelines again except for a big moment when Mikey froze up because he couldn't hurt April, that moment broke my heart. He also helped April remember some memories.

Raph was awesome, he saved the day when he helped April remember Donnie. I actually thought he was going "die" temporary when you could hear his bones breaking and then it looked like he was going to turn into dust as well.

Shocking moments
Sounded like Raph and Splinter having there bones broken.
Donnie and Tigerclaw being forced to strangle themselves
Donnie basically "dying" by being turned into dust.

Feels moments
Leo holding April in his lap and then carrying her into the Dojo
There was a little moment when Splinter bent down to April and Mikey put his hand on his back probably to make sure Splinter doesn't hurt himself.
Leo, Raph, Mikey and Casey reacting to Donnie "death".
April realizing what she done to Donnie and then later blaming herself for everything but Leo tells her it isn't her fault.
Casey holding injured Raph in this lap.
April hugging Donnie.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Did you guys notice the ad for "Mutagen Madness"? It's an unspecified amount of new episodes being aired "back to back to back".

I hope someone has recorded that promo.

Haalix
11-20-2016, 07:53 AM
I did love this episode but not as much as the last 2, i'm just glad Dark April was only one episode because the Turtles can now focus on stopping Shredder in the last 4 episodes.

The animation was amazing in this episode so breathtaking.

I noticed Mikey was on the sidelines again except for a big moment when Mikey froze up because he couldn't hurt April, that moment broke my heart. He also helped April remember some memories.

Raph was awesome, he saved the day when he helped April remember Donnie. I actually thought he was going "die" temporary when you could hear his bones breaking and then it looked like he was going to turn into dust as well.

Shocking moments
Sounded like Raph and Splinter having there bones broken.
Donnie and Tigerclaw being forced to strangle themselves
Donnie basically "dying" by being turned into dust.

Feels moments
Leo holding April in his lap and then carrying her into the Dojo
There was a little moment when Splinter bent down to April and Mikey put his hand on his back probably to make sure Splinter doesn't hurt himself.
Leo, Raph, Mikey and Casey reacting to Donnie "death".
April realizing what she done to Donnie and then later blaming herself for everything but Leo tells her it isn't her fault.
Casey holding injured Raph in this lap.
April hugging Donnie.

Noticed that moment between Splinter and Mike as well, that was very sweet. Hopefully we'll see at least one episode featuring him. We've had Donnie this episode, Leo in the last one. and Raph deserves some love as well. (but he has had his moments these last episodes)

Im in for Mikey/Raph or Mikey/Splinter moments :D Especially since I loved Splinters moments with Leo in the last episodes

NinjaPug
11-20-2016, 07:55 AM

I hope I'm wrong but I think Mutagen Madness is just the 3 most recent episodes shown back to back to back. Zap2It has a listing for TMNT on Nick for 8:30 am - 10 am in two weeks with no episode title/description.

ToTheNines
11-20-2016, 08:06 AM
I hope I'm wrong but I think Mutagen Madness is just the 3 most recent episodes shown back to back to back. Zap2It has a listing for TMNT on Nick for 8:30 am - 10 am in two weeks with no episode title/description.

Yeah, all the footage was from Super Shredder/Darkest Plight. And they specifically said, "the newest episodes". Which could just mean the latest episodes, but hopefully actually new ones.

We'll see.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 08:09 AM

If it was that then they would have scheduled the episodes separately, this is an episode that's going to last 1 1/2 hours so that could mean they merging the last 4 episodes.

The Happy One
11-20-2016, 08:09 AM
As well-written as that was, the episode greatly suffered from the show's unwillingness to commit to a plot outside of the main plot longer than an episode. They could've kept Dark April around until the end of the season, and they could've kept Donnie dead to really shake up the show and make it very interesting.

But, instead, Di Cicco was probably forced to give it a happy ending and thus, the ending feels very forced. That's too bad, because outside of that, the episode was pretty well done. Up until the third act it was one of my favorite episodes of the show (despite how much I don't particularly like the April mind power subplot).

Agreed. The episode was amazing, no doubt. But the show's inability to commit to serious consequences kinda...sucks. They could have kept this going till the finale, or even right before it??? Either way, the episode was pretty good.

evan2000
11-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Ouch... a truly devastating episode to watch (or even re-watch)! :tcouch:

That X-Men III disintegration scene was truly a pain to watch and my heart was pumping hard from that point on until the episode ends. I know they'll have to bring Donnie back somehow but at that point I had zero idea how. Time reversal again? Unlikely. Having a backup/clone of Donnie himself somewhere in-universe? Not that we knew of. I almost suspected Donnie used that hologram-cloner from the alien planet Varanon to create a double of himself for such risky mission, but that would be pretty lame/unconvincing too.

Really glad with the final solution being used, which is to re-integrate Donnie from the disintegrated segments. I assume this is ultimately the most believable option, and more satisfying than other possible solutions (such as Donnie having a double/backup). In fact, this solution would even work favourably in X-Men III instead of (spoiler alert) Prof X's consciousness surviving in his paralyzed twin's body. What a relief with Donnie back! :D

The other thing I really like was Raph's occasional involvements in this April/Donnie relationship. Remember these?

http://i.imgur.com/R2CbJKm.gif

http://i.imgur.com/LfPP2Fb.gif

And now Raph has to be the one who reminded April to think of Donnie, the only memory that was strong enough to break Za-Noran stronghold. It has now reached a full circle :P

ObiWanFan4life
11-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Well, that was entertaining, if a bit of a cop out.

Redworld96
11-20-2016, 08:22 AM
That X-Men III disintegration scene

I didnt see that movie, is there a video showing that scene? Just for curiosity :D

NinjaPug
11-20-2016, 08:23 AM
If it was that then they would have scheduled the episodes separately, this is an episode that's going to last 1 1/2 hours so that could mean they merging the last 4 episodes.

That's not true and they're definitely not putting 4 episodes into a 3 episode time slot. The promo didn't say we were actually getting new episodes.

evan2000
11-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Well, that was entertaining, if a bit of a cop out.

I don't consider it a cop out since it was the real Donnie that was disintegrated and later re-integrated, not a clone or double, and no time reversal was involved this round. It's certainly miles ahead of the solution to Earth's Last Stand, or even The Weird World of Wyrm (although that was a clever trick too).

I didnt see that movie, is there a video showing that scene? Just for curiosity :D

Here you go:

XeU6SJorcvw

ObiWanFan4life
11-20-2016, 08:28 AM
I don't consider it a cop out since it was the real Donnie that was disintegrated and later re-integrated, not a clone or double, and no time reversal was involved this round. It's certainly miles ahead of the solution to Earth's Last Stand, or even The Weird World of Wyrm (although that was a clever trick too).

Here you go:

XeU6SJorcvw

Fair argument.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 08:31 AM
That's not true and they're definitely not putting 4 episodes into a 3 episode time slot. The promo didn't say we were actually getting new episodes.

They don't air repeats on Nick, only on Nicktoons. So it must be new episodes, 3 or 4 episodes.

There are also scenes from the trailer that haven't happened yet.

But anyway hopefully we will find out soon.

Redworld96
11-20-2016, 09:02 AM
My favourite part of the episode:

Everyone: April destroy Za-Naron! Remember our battles, remember the parties, remember the family!

April:
https://67.media.tumblr.com/042a0cc0ae853ea66a3f0db2c34464a0/tumblr_inline_ogy6n53ULf1rbtpg9_540.jpg

Raph: Remember Donnie!

April:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbnmc9hzk11rufggeo1_500.gif

victory_angel
11-20-2016, 09:04 AM
I found this episode really enjoyable.

What would have made it better is if everyone is left dealing with the loss. Leo and everyone informs Splinter of (spoiler)'a death. April would be beside herself with grief because of it. Splinter would be broken-hearted that one of his sons was gone. And there would be an air of what happens now? Where do we go without him?

Then an episode or next season later April or Mikey gets a vision where (spoiler) appears to them and says he's not dead. He is actually trapped in another dimension.

When they inform the others about this everyone else brushes it off as 'letting ones grief getting to them'. Splinter looks into it via meditation and realizes (spoiler) is alive so it becomes a matter of returning them to their universe.

JTH
11-20-2016, 09:12 AM
My favourite part of the episode:

Everyone: April destroy Za-Naron! Remember our battles, remember the parties, remember the family!

April:
https://67.media.tumblr.com/042a0cc0ae853ea66a3f0db2c34464a0/tumblr_inline_ogy6n53ULf1rbtpg9_540.jpg

Raph: Remember Donnie!

April:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbnmc9hzk11rufggeo1_500.gif
I raise you.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/QuGGqDVciulKo/giphy.gif

Aaronardo
11-20-2016, 09:23 AM
I found this episode really enjoyable.

What would have made it better is if everyone is left dealing with the loss. Leo and everyone informs Splinter of (spoiler)'a death. April would be beside herself with grief because of it. Splinter would be broken-hearted that one of his sons was gone. And there would be an air of what happens now? Where do we go without him?

Then an episode or next season later April or Mikey gets a vision where (spoiler) appears to them and says he's not dead. He is actually trapped in another dimension.

When they inform the others about this everyone else brushes it off as 'letting ones grief getting to them'. Splinter looks into it via meditation and realizes (spoiler) is alive so it becomes a matter of returning them to their universe.

See? That's a much better way to handle this. Them staying dead would have set off so many great things for this show. But, unfortunately, the show doesn't want to do anything groundbreaking. :/

GoldMutant
11-20-2016, 09:30 AM
So, according to what's said here, "Dark April" was only one episode?

Called. It.

I'll review it later.

ToTheNines
11-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Haha, good poll options VA. I couldn't choose for a while, but just settled on the Ghostbusters reference.

We've come a long way since Mean Green Teen Machine.

JTH
11-20-2016, 09:58 AM
I disagree with you guys, if April could realize she could bring Donnie back, then do it, and return to the real point of the finale which is Super Shredder.

Trust me, I know a lot of you on here would not be invested in the slightest in a "Donatello Particle Scavenger Hunt"

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm glad it was only one episode, I didn't want April to have too much focus. Hopefully she will be on the side lines in the last few episodes.

I'm hoping Mikey has a bigger role in the last 4 episodes, he's been on the sidelines a lot lately.

I've also noticed that everyone has gotten injured except Mikey so I feel that could be coming up soon.

PApagreg
11-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Did not care for this episode not only did they wussed out with Donnie's "death" and making Dark April one episode the plot didn't really have any emotional punch to it. The decision to give the crystal a name and history was beyond dumb and gave us some unneeded exposition, you could've just said the crystal was somewhat of an entity and was sort of influencing April but no we had to get this dr jekyll and mr hyde. This really should've been more than 1 episode, when Ben 10 does a better "Power Overlord" plot then you know your show has problems.

Redworld96
11-20-2016, 11:01 AM
So, according to what's said here, "Dark April" was only one episode?

Called. It.

I'll review it later.

I prefer to be one episode actually (or two as much). Now let see why the turtles will wear the "super ninja" outfit in the next episodes

Tarris Vaal
11-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Quoted from Redworld96
I prefer to be one episode actually (or two as much). Now let see why the turtles will wear the "super ninja" outfit in the next episodes

I have to agree in this instance - JTH is right to say that a prolonged 'side quest' of gathering up Don's particles would be derailing the main super shredder climax at this late stage. Two episodes would have been ideal I think to give enough time for the 'loss' of Don to sink in, but considering the format of the show (24mins lean scripting) I think we got as much as we could have hoped for without alienating one fan group or another.

I have to say I'm really impressed with Raph and Casey's portrayal in this ep. Obviously Don's death and April's possession take centre stage and rightly so - but that chase/fight scene between Casey and the Foot mutants was also very good.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 11:27 AM
About the chase scene, I laughed when the Elite Foot Bots were on fire and still chasing Casey. :lol:

Ashwolf
11-20-2016, 11:44 AM
well, i was right about the crystal being made up of energy from beings like in fma, though wasnt expecting so few but it makes sense considering how big the entire star was and more "space" for each being to be spread out

the episode was alright, i guess...... like the dark parts of it and how it connected in with the shredder deformity from the last episode but it felt wrapped up way too quickly

on the last 4 episodes, they should be airing soon cause didnt they cast say awhile back that the season was gonna finish up in december or that the next season would start in december..... :tconfuse: cant really remember which it was right now.....

ColinStein
11-20-2016, 11:48 AM
What's up with the big step in animation? I'm not complaining, I'm just noticing it's way better than it should be or deserves to be! It's great and I love it!

I think many of us agree, having an episode where Donnie is either in another dimension or stuck in an astral plane or something would have been cool. I guess they could have ended the episode with a slight nod of Donnie's fate with him trying to communicate to April or something. I dunno, I'm not a writer and I don't know the rules they have to follow or the schedule they have moving forward. But man they get so close to Avatar levels! It's still great stuff.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 11:56 AM
What's up with the big step in animation? I'm not complaining, I'm just noticing it's way better than it should be or deserves to be! It's great and I love it!

I think many of us agree, having an episode where Donnie is either in another dimension or stuck in an astral plane or something would have been cool. I guess they could have ended the episode with a slight nod of Donnie's fate with him trying to communicate to April or something. I dunno, I'm not a writer and I don't know the rules they have to follow or the schedule they have moving forward. But man they get so close to Avatar levels! It's still great stuff.

Many??? some of us are glad it didn't continue.

TMNTInsighter
11-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Rating: C- (2.5 out of 5 stars)

Whenever I raised my usual complaints about April's arc this season with regards to her crystal, victory angel (twice) made a good case about the dependency of power when an object of power (especially a foreign one) comes into play and makes the person better, faster, stronger, etc. She mentioned objects that have been used in stories before such as the One Ring, the Elder Wand, etc. Most of us just think about Jean Grey and the Phoenix though when we compare April and the fact that what's been taking her over is in fact, the spirit of a, well, ancient Aeon named Za-Naron
This was a good case, it really was, but I just couldn't give April and her predicament a break because of how drawn out it was and then rushed it seemed when we got to "Bat in the Belfry". Not to mention how cliche and predictable the "power corrupts" theme has become. April herself also acts very over the top in this arc and not in a good way. That episode was better when it focused on Wingnut & Screwloose as well as the fun and satire with regards to comic book characters it provided. When it came to April however, that episode failed to adequately dramatize her internal conflict (save for the hint that something living, Za-Naron as we now know it, was actually in play). It only talked about it and seemed confused as whether to treat April as a comic figure or a possibly soon-to-be tragic one. Plus, let's be frank, her "My crystal!" shtick got really tiresome. Her attitude itself made it really easy for the script to occasionally condescend to her as cruelly as the characters--not to mention that they did a piss poor job in keeping her from the crystal when they realized that it wasn't good.
"The Power Inside Her" however mistook those liabilities for assets. Although they tried to separate April from the object this time around, the introduction of Za-Naron actually seemed like a relief at the time and a good change of pace. Another thing raised which should've been interesting came at the end when Splinter acknowledged that April literally faced her demons. But it wasn't clear what demons Za-Naron was supposed to represent for April. Is she tired of this war with the Foot Clan? Is she tired of being less normal than other humans? Is she upset over the possible fact that she considers Splinter more of a father than her own? Surely it can't be the fact that the world is so corrupt she has to do something about it since this is a part of her that has neither been brought up or explored much, if at all. That's Za-Naron's claim, and since victory_angel argued to me that the Aeons were not used to foreign pieces of corruption on their planet (such as the BHG), so it would be logical to assume that being on a corrupt planet would drive even the most ancient of the Aeons to the demonic state seen in their debut episode. That April believes that the people should be saved and not destroyed in contrast to Za-Naron would make an interesting dynamic but it goes nowhere and is only amplified in part by Donatello's initial death.
Not all is instantly lost however since this paves the way for interesting scenarios such as the turtles and Casey deciding whether they must destroy April in the hopes of defeating Za-Naron and avenging their brother or not, the suspense of Raph perhaps being the next one to go, April remembering what has become perhaps her true family (and Donatello), and April eventually slaying the demon that even the wisest and oldest Aeon has become; although the rushed and improbable return of Donatello provides no impact on its own. Although April makes the assertion that her abilities have certainly improved thanks to her ordeal, the fact that she spent that particular moment telling us rather than showing us does not make all the sound and fury of this whole ordeal seem justified--just as it makes my own assertions about the Aeons being foolish to give April the crystal remain, in fact, justified.

Optimus Primer
11-20-2016, 12:10 PM
This episode.... Not as emotional for me as Annihilation: Earth!, and not as messed up as Darkest Plight, but when they said all the "Remember, April!" stuff, especially remember Donnie....:tcry:

GoldMutant
11-20-2016, 12:12 PM
As of now, I really don't like this episode at all. Well, as per usual, there was some good stuff. First off, the animation. Man, the animation department should use the weather more, it makes the scenery amazing. Besides the winter weather from The Invasion, there's nearly no moments without weather, mostly just darkened skies for Kraang invasions or the simple night and day. I'd love to see more.

The other main thing is Casey. Forget April and her corruption and Don's persistence to save April, this is the first time since... maybe Casey Jones vs the Underworld where he felt like a character. I adored the chase scene, it's possibly the best part of the episode. Not as intense as the train fight from Super Shredder or April vs Shinigami in City at War, but still a great all around fight. Besides it, I just liked Casey's reactions; out of all the heroes (barring Don), he really felt upset when April went down. Same with Michelangelo, but he only got that one moment in the final fight.

As for the central plot... I may write another post on it analyzing everything involving Donatello and April O'Neil. Simply put, I wasn't impressed. I knew it would be one episode, I knew Don or whoever April killed would be revived immediately. There was no stakes for me as a result; unless a two parter or a longer run time, it just felt there without impact. Add another mark to the "Don's Near Deaths" chart.

Honestly, I just don't have a lot to say this episode, there just wasn't anything very standout, especially coming off the two Super Shredder episodes. I felt more invested in that drama because of all the build up to it. Did I want Shredder mutated? No, I didn't. However, the stakes in SS's debut in addition to one last Rat King appearance did more for me than any of the buildup towards April's corruption.

Haalix
11-20-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm glad it was only one episode, I didn't want April to have too much focus. Hopefully she will be on the side lines in the last few episodes.

I'm hoping Mikey has a bigger role in the last 4 episodes, he's been on the sidelines a lot lately.

I've also noticed that everyone has gotten injured except Mikey so I feel that could be coming up soon.

Agreed. I was actually starting to hate Mikey a bit cause he was getting as annoying as Casey. But in the last three episodes I started to like him again so I'm hoping they'll give him a more serious episode. (And not the garbage that was bat in the belfy)

Aaronardo
11-20-2016, 12:15 PM
I disagree with you guys, if April could realize she could bring Donnie back, then do it, and return to the real point of the finale which is Super Shredder.

Trust me, I know a lot of you on here would not be invested in the slightest in a "Donatello Particle Scavenger Hunt"

With the Turtles going to Japan in Season 5 (or, at least, it seems), they could've had a reason of going there to find out how to put Donnie back together again. Or they could've used a different "death" that wasn't "spread his particles everywhere." They don't have to finish the plot in Season 4. In fact, it could've made a possible loss to Super Shredder even more devastating, with the Turtles put in a situation where Donnie could've saved the day.

A Donatello Particle Scavenger Hunt is a lot better than half-assedly ending what could be a great plot point in one act of the same episode it starts in (although both options are awful. Use some creativity, though).

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 12:21 PM
With the Turtles going to Japan in Season 5 (or, at least, it seems), they could've had a reason of going there to find out how to put Donnie back together again. Or they could've used a different "death" that wasn't "spread his particles everywhere." They don't have to finish the plot in Season 4. In fact, it could've made a possible loss to Super Shredder even more devastating, with the Turtles put in a situation where Donnie could've saved the day.

A Donatello Particle Scavenger Hunt is a lot better than half-assedly ending what could be a great plot point in one act of the same episode it starts in (although both options are awful. Use some creativity, though).

Na that would have been boring like the 2K3 Back to the Sewers story with the Turtles searching for Splinters particles.

I didn't want Donnie to miss season final, that's if the Turtles are fighting Super Shredder.

Haalix
11-20-2016, 12:22 PM

It really depends. If they had removed one filler episode previous to this episode they could've done it easily. Or if one of the next episodes is a filler (however doubtful). But I feel like they just have to focus on the Shredder right now. So I'm glad Dark April is out of the picture. Though I fully agree with them doing something more with it. I was actually hoping for some April hurting Donnie moment :D and some aftermath. Either Don being injured or 'death'

Haalix
11-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Na that would have been boring like the 2K3 Back to the Sewers story with the Turtles searching for Splinters particles.

I didn't want Donnie to miss season final, that's if the Turtles are fighting Super Shredder.

No way that's gonna happen. They deserve a final showdown with the four of them. (Or including Miwa and Splinter) but not one turtle being excluded or one turtle fighting the Shredder alone *cough* Leo

GoldMutant
11-20-2016, 12:33 PM

It might be due to me needing to watch the entirety of 2k3, but does anyone want to fill me in brief on the Back to the Sewers plot with Splinter? Few to no spoilers would be appreciated.

I've written my own outline, or "fan fiction" where Leo is presumed dead in a fight and comes back in a very big way. ;) I don't see what the problem would be if Don were dead for a few episodes, then to revive him early on in the next season; between episodes 2 to 4 would be a good limit so he's not missing for that long. If not, then he could be missing until the season finale with a big return to fight Super Shredder. A similar event happened in IDW, no?

Instead, we get "Ooh, we finally killed off another character not named Splinter in our series! We're ballsy now, see?" I don't mean to exaggerate that, but I still would've liked some breathing room for Donatello gone, in a way VA pointed out. In this series though, it seems unlikely.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 12:42 PM
It might be due to me needing to watch the entirety of 2k3, but does anyone want to fill me in brief on the Back to the Sewers plot with Splinter? Few to no spoilers would be appreciated.

I've written my own outline, or "fan fiction" where Leo is presumed dead in a fight and comes back in a very big way. ;) I don't see what the problem would be if Don were dead for a few episodes, then to revive him early on in the next season; between episodes 2 to 4 would be a good limit so he's not missing for that long. So for Don to be missing and then possibly pull a big return in the season finale helping out against SS wouldn't be out of the blue. A similar event happened in IDW, no?

I can actually see a lot of people complaining and crying over Donnie if he was missing for a few episodes. Their complaints would be like this

"I didn't like this episode because of no Donnie"
"Donnie needs to come back now"
"I miss Donnie so much"
"It should be 4 turtles not 3"

why is today's episode just half of last weeks's episode I don't get it:roll:

I don't get your question :lol::-?

TMNTInsighter
11-20-2016, 12:45 PM
I can actually see a lot of people complaining and crying over Donnie if he was missing for a few episodes. Their complaints would be like this

"I miss Donnie so much"

Those are the complaints of those who shouldn't matter. Those are very irrational arguments that are of no substance to the overall episode. These are the same kinds of people who keep episodes such as "Annihilation: Earth!" and even "Slash and Destroy" (perhaps even "The Invasion") from getting the credit they deserve. I myself wouldn't have minded Donatello be absent for a couple of episodes largely because his return was done in a way that I couldn't buy.

Autbot_Benz
11-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I don't get your question :lol::-?
never mind I got last week's episode confused with this weeks ignore my last post. Id love to watch this episode but none of the sites I use and my on demand have it uploaded

Aaronardo
11-20-2016, 12:51 PM

The Turtles going through arcs as characters over the loss of Donnie is boring? Yeah, okay. The BTTS story is far different, seeing as how it wasn't the first time these Turtles were without Splinter, and they didn't allow for too much character time.

If they kept Donnie in the state he was in, you don't have to have a scavenger hunt. Think outside the box, guys.

"I miss Donnie so much"

Exactly, and with that, when Donnie eventually does make a return, it will be one of the most triumphant, heartwarming, and all-around greatest moments in the show.

It really depends. If they had removed one filler episode previous to this episode they could've done it easily. Or if one of the next episodes is a filler (however doubtful). But I feel like they just have to focus on the Shredder right now. So I'm glad Dark April is out of the picture. Though I fully agree with them doing something more with it. I was actually hoping for some April hurting Donnie moment :D and some aftermath. Either Don being injured or 'death'

If, during the finale, Dark April kind of layers as another problem on top of Super Shredder as well, then that gives the Turtles more to handle in said finale, which is a quite good thing. It's like with The Invasion, where Shredder AND The Kraang were the big enemies for the Turtles to fight.

It lasted the whole season, it was boring, it didn't do much for the characters, and yet was somehow the best part of the season.

JTH
Those are the complaints of those who shouldn't matter. Those are very irrational arguments that are of no substance to the overall episode. These are the same kinds of people who keep episodes such as "Annihilation: Earth!" and even "Slash and Destroy" (perhaps even "The Invasion") from getting the credit they deserve. I myself wouldn't have minded Donatello be absent for a couple of episodes largely because his return was done in a way that I couldn't buy.
Yet you buy how a bunch of blue goop turns 4 regular turtles into humans and turns a man into a rat?

Sounds like a pretty counterproductive argument about a show premise that makes no sense in the first place.

matteso586
Surprised that this show had three intense episodes in a row.

Anyone notice that April looks like a dead ringer for her mother? Aside from the hair color.

GoldMutant
11-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Autobot, you're referring to Darkest Plight, the episode from last week.

"I miss Donnie so much"

Most of these complaints sound exactly like ones from nick.com with the kids, not so much people like most of us here who are older. Allow me to retort though on each of them:

1. "I didn't like this episode because of no Donnie"-Same thing as "7.8/10, too much water" with Pokémon OR/AS a few years ago. In other words, irrelevant and horrible reasoning to dislike an episode. Same way can be applied to every other character, like Newtrailizer not appearing in the space arc when he was perfect for it. Trejo though I'd assume has a busy schedule.

2. "Donnie needs to come back now"- You can still have Donnie present without him appearing physically. Perhaps a flashback, as Peter did here in the final fight, or Journey to the Center of Mikey's Mind briefly with showing *shudder* the Bigfoot episode. Heck, you can still reference him in dialogue if he's central to a story.

3. "I miss Donnie so much"- Refer to the previous argument.

4. "It should be 4 turtles not 3"- People need to not get attached to the characters. People whined when Leo got beaten to a pulp in Invasion, most are from Youtube or the Nick site.

Okay, for the sake of argument of 4 Turtles, why is it all four are in an episode? Some are unneeded in certain episodes and are just there. Didn't some of the comics have solo Turtle adventures, not counting the micros? I know 2k3 did this with Leo and when the Turtles separated into different areas across time. (2k3 I really need to brush up on.)

It lasted the whole season, it was boring, it didn't do much for the characters, and yet was somehow the best part of the season.
Thank you Aaron, I'll give it a look.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 01:07 PM
The Turtles going through arcs as characters over the loss of Donnie is boring? Yeah, okay. The BTTS story is far different, seeing as how it wasn't the first time these Turtles were without Splinter, and they didn't allow for too much character time.

Exactly, and with that, when Donnie eventually does make a return, it will be one of the most triumphant, heartwarming, and all-around greatest moments in the show.

I never said the loss of Donnie would be boring, I said the particle thing would be boring.

As I said in previous posts, I'm not a fan of April and her powers, I did like this episode but not as much as the last 2. It didn't give me the emotional impact like The Invasion and Annihilation: Earth! did

I'm glad Dark April ended in this episode because I want the 4 turtles to focus on Super Shredder now and not have side adventure of getting Donnie back.

If this episode happened in the season final then I would of been ok with the Turtles and April getting Donnie back not when we got 4 episodes to go and still had to deal with Super Shredder. It just be really confusing.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Most of these complaints sound exactly like ones from nick.com with the kids, not so much people like most of us here who are older. Allow me to retort though on each of them:

I can't get on Nick.com, I'm going by what people would say on here, Twitter, Tumblr ect

Okay, for the sake of argument of 4 Turtles, why is it all four are in an episode? Some are unneeded in certain episodes and are just there. Didn't some of the comics have solo Turtle adventures, not counting the micros? I know 2k3 did this with Leo and when the Turtles separated into different areas across time. (2k3 I really need to brush up on.)

The only solo adventures I read were from IDW which I liked.

The only episode that I watch from the turtles getting separated is the SAINW episode I skip the other episodes. I don't mind the Leo Casey episode.

victory_angel
11-20-2016, 01:35 PM
If this episode could have been expanded on. Maybe have had April defeat of Za-noran, everyone is glad that is over. But the missions victory still comes at a heavy price. April is distrought that Donnie is dead at her hands. Leo tells her it's not her fault. He then looks at everyone of his brothers and honorary family. And says "Come on, guys. Let's go home, Splinter...Splinter should know what happened." He then sadly looks at Donnie's mask.

Then the episode goes into one of those emotional moments where the background music does all to talking to really hit home the impact of the characters emotions.

In this silent scene Leo is holding Don's mask and reluctantly starts towards the Dojo. April goes and sits in the pit looking all sad, as tears start to slowly fill her eyes. Raph walks to the lab, he looks in it and sees shadows of Donnie working in there. Shadows of Donnie explaining some breakthrough he's come up with, or some strategy they need to follow on a mission.

Casey sits down somewhere off to the side, his face a mask of conflicting emotion. He remembers all the times he and Donnie would bicker or when they would work together and get along even it was for April's sake.

Focus on April as a tear starts to fall down her face.

Mikey opens's the door to Donnie's bedroom almost as though he expected Donnie to be there. To his dismay, he finds Donnie is not, and instead he sees the memory shadows of Donnie quietly reading in his bedroom, or everyone hanging out together. Or maybe Donnie comforting him.

Focus back on April as another tear descends down her face.

Leo enters the Dojo with a dismayed look in his eyes. He looks down at the purple mask in his hand. Splinter looks up in concern as Leo approaches. Leonardo then holds out Donnie's mask. Splinter takes the ownerless mask in trembling fingers as Leo explains what happened. Splinter's ears droop as he listens.

More tears begin to fall from April's eyes as she visualizes the memories she has had in the lair with Donnie. Or all the times Donnie has been there for her.

Splinter puts a hand on his eldest son's shoulder before he goes to place the mask at the shrine beside the photo of his human family. He then prays so that Donatello's spirit may find peace.

Leo sadly leaves the Dojo. Raph is sitting in the pit, his face screwed up like he wants to punch something, but his eyes have a lost look as he doesn't feel like it's worth the effort.

April has buried her face in a pillow and begins to sob in misery.

In the bedroom's Mikey is lying sadly in on top of bed gazing up at the ceiling. He has a lost expression on his face as though everything good in the world has just died.

Leo numbly walks around the lair, visualizing memories of the four of them. He then pulls out his phone.

Karai slowly pulls her phone down from her ear, her eyes holding a troubled look as though she doesn't know what to make of this development, Shini looks at her in concern.

Then shift to the channel six building. Donnie suddenly materializes. At first he is confused as to where he is, the last he remembered he had been his brothers and April. He calls for them but they don't appear. That's when he notices the city looks different, he shakes his head in disbelief and distraughtly mutters "Oh No..." And we are treated to a view of the city under the control of the Shredder. Fade to still image.

Haalix
11-20-2016, 01:36 PM
I can't get on Nick.com, I'm going by what people would say on here, Twitter, Tumblr ect

Try 'hola better internet' :D works for me

Haalix
11-20-2016, 01:41 PM
If this episode could have been expanded on. Maybe have had April defeat of Za-noran, everyone is glad that is over. But the missions victory still comes at a heavy price. April is distrought that Donnie is dead at her hands. Leo tells her it's not her fault. He then looks at everyone of his brothers and honorary family. He then says "Come on, guys. Let's go home, Splinter...Splinter should know what happened." He then sadly looks at Donnie's mask.

Then the episode goes into one of those emotional moments where the background music does all to talking to really hit home the impact of the characters emotions.

In this silent scene Leo is holding Don's mask and reluctantly starts towards the Dojo. April goes and sits in the pit looking all sad, as tears start to slowly fill her eyes. Raph walks to the lab, he looks in it and sees shadows of Donnie working in there. Shadows of Donnie explaining some breakthrough he's come up with, or some strategy they need to follow on a mission.

Casey sits down somewhere off to the side, his face a mask of conflicting emotion. He remembers all the times he and Donnie would bicker or when they would work together and get along even it was for April's sake.

Focus on April as a tear starts to fall down her face.

Mikey opens's the door to Donnie's bedroom almost as though he expected Donnie to be there. To his dismay, he finds Donnie is not, and instead he sees the memory shadows of Donnie quietly reading in his bedroom, or everyone hanging out together. Or maybe Donnie comforting him.

Focus back on April as another tear descends down her face.

Leo enters the Dojo with a dismayed look in his eyes. He looks down at the purple mask in his hand. Splinter looks up in concern as Leo approaches. Leonardo then holds out Donnie's mask. Splinter takes the ownerless mask in trembling fingers as Leo explains what happened. Splinter's ears droop as he listens.

More tears begin to fall from April's eyes as she visualizes the memories she has had in the lair with Donnie. Or all the times Donnie has been there for her.

Splinter puts a hand on his eldest son's shoulder before he goes to place the mask at the shrine beside the photo of his human family. He then prays so that Donatello's spirit may find peace.

Leo sadly leaves the Dojo. Raph is sitting in the pit, his face screwed up like he wants to punch something, but his eyes have a lost look as he doesn't feel like it's worth the effort.

April has buried her face in a pillow and begins to sob in misery.

In the bedroom's Mikey is lying sadly in on top of bed gazing up at the ceiling. He has a lost expression on his face as though everything good in the world has just died.

Leo numbly walks around the lair, visualizing memories of the four of them. He then pulls out his phone.

Karai slowly pulls her phone down from her ear, her eyes holding a troubled look as though she doesn't know what to make of this development, Shini looks at her in concern.

Then shift to the channel six building. Donnie suddenly materializes. At first he is confused as to where he is, the last he remembered he had been his brothers and April. He calls for them but they don't appear. That's when he notices the city looks different, he shakes his head in disbelief and distraughtly mutters "Oh No..." And we are treated to a view of the city under the control of the Shredder. Fade to still image.

If only... If only. But to be honest, I don't know if I would even want to see a SAINW in this version. But I really like the idea. And apart from that, that is definitely something that should've been done in the episode. Like I said, they could've easily cut away a filler and do this for an episode. With the cliffhanger Donnie being killed (and shown 'alive' at the end to assure the kids and us that he's still alive :D) and the next episode having that idea. Where they're all sad. And then realise how important Don is to the team (preferably realising they all are) either by everything going to hell in the lair or them fighting and losing.

Guess I'll have to wait for someone to write a fanfic about it :D

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Try 'hola better internet' :D works for me

I have got Hola, it's on my laptop bu I don't use it that much because I'm on my computer more but Hola doesn't work on my computer.

BubblyShell22
11-20-2016, 01:47 PM
VA, that is an awesome scenario and definitely how things should have been, but that's sadly not the case. I did like the episode, but like everyone else, I also felt they could have drawn things out a bit more and maybe could have used the mystical theme from season five to bring Donnie back. And it makes me wonder what Requiem will deal with since Donnie isn't really dead and gone as we thought. Another thing that bugged me was how Splinter still has a crutch but Leo was beaten to a pulp and now he's miraculously healed from his wounds. He's a regular John Cena now! He didn't even heal that fast in season three.

But despite these small nitpicks, the rest of the episode was fine and I really liked what they did with the chase scene as that was nicely done. I'm just glad this arc is over and now April will no longer be dependent on the crystal anymore. I hope the preview was for new episodes in two weeks, but if not, that's okay because it can give people a chance to catch up on what they have missed.

TMNTInsighter
11-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Yet you buy how a bunch of blue goop turns 4 regular turtles into humans and turns a man into a rat?

Sounds like a pretty counterproductive argument about a show premise that makes no sense in the first place.

A show like this doesn't have to make sense in our universe. But if a show doesn't even make sense in its own universe, then that's a disaster!

Unlike me, the fact that you seem to accept anything that a show throws at you is itself a problem. :trazz:

CyberCubed
11-20-2016, 01:57 PM
April's hairstyle was definitely a homage to Kala the Neutrino, it looked nearly identical in some shots especially from behind.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Don being scattered into particles felt like Splinter being scattered to data bits in the BTTS season of the 2k3 series. Perhaps it would have been better to have them search for a way to restore Donnie up to the finale or something.

While the Aeon story is done, they still never really went into April's history again. Her mother is still missing, and we still don't exactly know why she has powers in the first place beyond some vague Kraang backstory.

GoldMutant
11-20-2016, 01:58 PM

The only episode that I watch from the turtles getting separated is the SAINW episode I skip the other episodes. I don't mind the Leo Casey episode.

Pretty sure not everyone here would react badly, they'd be upset but be ready for when he returns, assuming it isn't permanent. Twitter and Tumblr... that'll be a field day of fickleness. :lol:

Still, my point is this: why have them always together most of the time? It's made me curious as I wonder if some of the episodes here would be better with two of the Turtles for example. It's strange as I'd love to see more team ups with other characters, like Raphael and Leatherhead or Michelangelo and Splinter as examples.

CyberCubed
11-20-2016, 02:00 PM

Uh really? There are tons of episodes/stories with only a few Turtles and not all 4, and they're enjoyable. The Leo/Usagi eps in that Ultimate Draco story was also excellent.

Aaronardo
11-20-2016, 02:01 PM

This is Viacom's horrible mentality when it comes to TMNT and it's everything wrong with the franchise as of now.

Toy Story 2 has probably the least believable setup of all time (Woody happened to be in the yard sale at the exact time a collector looking for him is there and the only reason said collector even knows he's there is because his pull string happened to activate), but that doesn't stop it from being an incredibly good movie.

Just because the premise is stupid doesn't mean the material has to be.

I never said the loss of Donnie would be boring, I said the particle thing would be boring.

Ah, sorry for the confusion :)

I'm glad Dark April ended in this episode because I want the 4 turtles to focus on Super Shredder now and not have side adventure of getting Donnie back.

If this episode happened in the season final then I would of been ok with the Turtles and April getting Donnie back not when we got 4 episodes to go and still had to deal with Super Shredder. It just be really confusing.

The whole subplot doesn't need to get resolved before the season ends. They can carry it over into the next season easily. If it were me, I'd have the Super Shredder plot happen (whatever happens in the finale/following episodes), and then have them focus on getting Donnie back when they go to Japan. They can learn some kind of sacred mantra or something.

But yes I do agree whatever they did, they do need to focus on Super Shredder from here on out.

CyberCubed
11-20-2016, 02:03 PM
On another note all of Shredder's henchmen have literally decayed in power. Casey being able to knock Rahzar out of the truck, and able to take on Tiger Claw for a bit until the end...and all we see of Hun is to see him get knocked around.

Remember how tough it was for all 4 Turtles to face Shredder's mutants just 1 on 1? Now they're basically fodder.

Aaronardo
11-20-2016, 02:10 PM
On another note all of Shredder's henchmen have literally decayed in power. Casey being able to knock Rahzar out of the truck, and able to take on Tiger Claw for a bit until the end...and all we see of Hun is to see him get knocked around.

Remember how tough it was for all 4 Turtles to face Shredder's mutants just 1 on 1? Now they're basically fodder.

This 100%. I remember when Tiger Claw coming into the scene meant sh*t was about to go down. He's better in this episode than he has been, but he still gets the short end of the stick.

Leo being able to take them all on in a few seconds was a defining moment of The Invasion because they all used to be built up as worthy adversaries. Now they're just... not.

Vicky82
11-20-2016, 02:12 PM

I thought the 2 Elite Foot Bots were tougher than Shredder's mutants because they were running while on fire. :lol:

CyberCubed
11-20-2016, 02:14 PM
I guess its kind of inevitable. Kind of like how people complained in the Fred Wolf cartoon that Bebop/Rocksteady were incompetent henchmen just to get knocked around....but the same thing essentially happens here.

It even happened in 4kids to an extent with Hun being easier and easier to take out when the Turtles all struggled against him for a while.

TMNTInsighter
11-20-2016, 02:15 PM

Like I said before: plot convenience. "Who's better than who?" and "Who can win in a fight between..." doesn't matter to this series.

shredder orokusaki
11-20-2016, 02:51 PM
My henchmen are a lot more powerful than the turtles. If it wasnt for April attacking them with her supoer powers now casey would had been dead!

lonewarrior20
11-20-2016, 03:05 PM
i enjoyed it. i almost felt like shouting "kaneda!" and "tetsuio!" a few times.

Autbot_Benz
11-20-2016, 03:29 PM
I FINALLY got to watch this episode thanks to a fellow turtle fan who uploaded it online. No thanks to the Cartoon sites for still not having it . Decent episode kinda wish the 100th had been a bit better Man enough of the Death Cop outs. if your gonna kill someone just kill them.

ToTheNines
11-20-2016, 04:37 PM
This 100%. I remember when Tiger Claw coming into the scene meant sh*t was about to go down. He's better in this episode than he has been, but he still gets the short end of the stick.

Leo being able to take them all on in a few seconds was a defining moment of The Invasion because they all used to be built up as worthy adversaries. Now they're just... not.

Yup. Back in season 2, Splinter could barely take him. Now CJ spanks him, Bradford, Xever and 2 Elite bots on his own lol.

Technogeek29
11-20-2016, 05:38 PM
I guess its kind of inevitable. Kind of like how people complained in the Fred Wolf cartoon that Bebop/Rocksteady were incompetent henchmen just to get knocked around....but the same thing essentially happens here.

It even happened in 4kids to an extent with Hun being easier and easier to take out when the Turtles all struggled against him for a while.

Mostly the Foot stayed lethal threats to the Turtles, I can count on my hand the number of times the Turtles breezed through them. Most of the time they struggled and sooner retreated instead of fighting them, or won through dumb luck.

THGhost
11-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Holy crap was this emotional...

Man, I didn't realise just how big of a hold April's crystal had on her.
Casey being a badass for a change, feels like he hasn't done a lot lately. The way he took out Tiger Claw was awesome.
Oh snap, April broke Splinter's fingers!?
Well, I've wanted Dark April for the longest time and she's finally here. Awesome stuff, she's everything I wanted her to be.
Channel 6 News building. Tee hee. :P
"Spider-Don, Spider-Don, climbs up walls with climbing gloves on..."
Dayum, what did she do Donnie? :o Can't have killed him, this is Nickelodeon. Transported him somewhere, perhaps? Tumble girls aren't gonna be happy either way.
Bye bye crystal and bye bye Na-Zaron. Would have liked a longer fight tbh.
Donnie :D I was expecting a few episodes where they look for him but this works too I guess.
How'd Donnie get his bandanna back? He lost it when he got disintegrated. Whoops...

Great stuff, Nick! Brilliant 100th episode.

Btw, I knew that Super Shredder's exposed heart in the last episode wasn't purely decorative. I just knew it. :P

thundermaster612
11-20-2016, 06:27 PM
My henchmen are a lot more powerful than the turtles. If it wasnt for April attacking them with her supoer powers now casey would had been dead!

Least you took notice of the plot armor that would've probably ensued.

THGhost
11-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Oh, shredder orokusaki is still here is he? :roll:

Ninjinister
11-20-2016, 07:32 PM
Ep's not up on Xbox yet. Bah.

CyberCubed
11-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Its kinda ironic that the 100th episode of both the 4kids and Nick cartoon both have something happen to Donatello, and April also plays a role.

Kind of funny.

Jester
11-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Its kinda ironic that the 100th episode of both the 4kids and Nick cartoon both have something happen to Donatello, and April also plays a role.

Kind of funny.
Um...The 100th 4Kids episode was "Tale of Master Yoshi"....

oldmanwinters
11-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Judging by the poll questions, I'm glad I wasn't the only one have flashbacks to "Back the Sewer" when April mentioned Donny's particles had been scattered. I was like... ah, here we go again with the cyber-space search for Splinter!

Haha, I remember how 4Kids heavily promoted that one too. Ah, I liked it, even if I did consider it "filler" for the time.

CyberCubed
11-20-2016, 07:58 PM

Whoops, I thought it was, "Adventures in Turtle-sitting."

Jester
11-20-2016, 08:03 PM
To be fair, Insane in the Membrane kinda torques the numbers.

ssjup81
11-20-2016, 08:18 PM
I just finished watching the ep. I liked it, but poor Raph and Splinter. Really sounded like their bones were breaking and Raph looked like he had Bonitis Futurama style. Also, I like the subtlety of hinting towards this happening. Even in that ep where Donnie was stung and Mikey looked at Donnie and April worried. Ok, reaching, but Mikey does have a sixth sense about stuff like that.

Oh, Splinter getting on April for her addiction...I just wanted him to "keep it real" and say, "April, you're addicted to meth/crack. You need to lay off." And Donnie could say, "Drugs are bad, mmmkay." ^^

I liked the irony of Donnie telling Splinter that he was sure that he could get through to April and how he technically didn't...Raph did.

I really enjoyed Casey this ep and his, "Casey Jones makes no promises" line made me laugh for some reason. The chase scene worked too as Casey followed them because they were leaving. I also liked Casey's reaction to April. It was perfect, imo. Like the callback to Mutagen Man. Think they'll finally conclude that sometime in season 5? They namedropped the Rat King and then we got that ep dealing with him.

The part where Raph was pretty much saying they had to kill April was intense. What I found off about it was that they were going to make Mikey do it. I was expecting Leo to since, you know, he's the LEADER.

The ending was kind of expected but I wish they would've drawn it out slightly and maybe had April realize it while in the lair. Bring Donnie back together but them not knowing it and not discovering this until the next ep, but that would probably ruin the flow of the next ep.

The reason I was expecting Donnie to come back somehow is because I just can't imagine a main character (a good guy) being killed out. Supporting cast, yeah.

myconius
11-20-2016, 08:54 PM
i was actually kind of happy there for a moment when i though April actually killed Donatello.
if he stayed dead at least it'd been the end of Apritello. :lol:

THGhost
11-20-2016, 09:21 PM
i was actually kind of happy there for a moment when i though April actually killed Donatello.
if he stayed dead at least it'd been the end of Apritello. :lol:

We haven't really seen anything from that lately to be honest though.

PApagreg
11-20-2016, 09:31 PM

At least Hun had his own criminal empire and episode, Xever and Bradford has crap and I sometimes forget Tiger Claw even exist

myconius
11-20-2016, 09:36 PM
We haven't really seen anything from that lately to be honest though.

true! but better to be 100% thorough, i say :D

PApagreg
11-20-2016, 09:41 PM
true! but better to be 100% thorough, i say :D

So should they kill April or Don

myconius
11-20-2016, 09:43 PM
So should they kill April or Don

both

better to be sure, right? :D

DrReagan
11-20-2016, 10:39 PM
Okay but does anyone else hope April keeps her hair down like it was at the end from now on? I never liked the ponytail at all, and this is very much better.

MarsicornYT
11-20-2016, 11:44 PM
Okay but does anyone else hope April keeps her hair down like it was at the end from now on? I never liked the ponytail at all, and this is very much better.

In one of the scenes where it showed Tiger Claw summoning Kavaxas, April had her hair back to normal. This may be in Season 5 though and April could keep her hair until the end of S4.

ssjup81
11-21-2016, 12:42 AM
People still complain about the whole Donnie x April thing? It's barely even referenced at this point. They drop a hint with it every once in a while, but not enough worth talking about because the show focuses on...you know, PLOT.:roll:

Vicky82
11-21-2016, 03:12 AM
The part where Raph was pretty much saying they had to kill April was intense. What I found off about it was that they were going to make Mikey do it. I was expecting Leo to since, you know, he's the LEADER.

Yeah I thought it was very harsh of Raph to make Mikey kill April.

If Raph told Mikey to kill Rahzar, he would of done it. Making him kill April would have been too much for Mikey.

Redworld96
11-21-2016, 05:21 AM
If someone is interested to know the anatomy of the ninja turtles in this show:

http://66.media.tumblr.com/2f88fb4a44f34bf4b754ed3b60275a35/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o1_400.png http://66.media.tumblr.com/34847621e1614f07ada7a5c43f59a3e1/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o2_400.png http://66.media.tumblr.com/64c21bb4d4fca1b0718743061e703ced/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o3_400.png

oldmanwinters
11-21-2016, 05:27 AM

http://66.media.tumblr.com/2f88fb4a44f34bf4b754ed3b60275a35/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o1_400.png http://66.media.tumblr.com/34847621e1614f07ada7a5c43f59a3e1/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o2_400.png http://66.media.tumblr.com/64c21bb4d4fca1b0718743061e703ced/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o3_400.png

So great! Thank you for these screencaps!

neatoman
11-21-2016, 05:32 AM

The brain should have had a mask
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/c/c4/2499944205_9a92d560e3_o.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131205230332

But in all seriousness, this reminds me of how weird it is that they have teeth, real life turtles don't but for some reason they have always been depicted with teeth. What might actually be weirder in context of their design, is that the skull has a nostril hole but they have no visible nostrils otherwise, hell, by the looks of this it seems like muscle covers the hole.

evan2000
11-21-2016, 07:28 AM

http://66.media.tumblr.com/34847621e1614f07ada7a5c43f59a3e1/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o2_400.png
Attention to detail! Donnie's tooth gap was clearly visible in his skeleton view! :tlol:

THGhost
11-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Wow, I'm surprised that level of detail is even allowed on Nick. :lol:

At least Hun had his own criminal empire and episode, Xever and Bradford has crap and I sometimes forget Tiger Claw even exist

Really? Tiger Claw? He's no doubt Shredder's most badass henchman. I often forget that Fishface exists.

neatoman
11-21-2016, 08:51 AM
Wow, I'm surprised that level of detail is even allowed on Nick. :lol:

Really? Tiger Claw? He's no doubt Shredder's most badass henchman. I often forget that Fishface exists.

Tiger Claw doesn't really have much in terms of personality or any major impact on the story either, I'll grant you that he (might) be more "badass" than the others but that doeesn't really make him interesting. He's been around since season 2 and it's still a little while (either the end of season 4 or start of season 5) until we get to explore his backstory in-depth, so it's not that weird some people find him forgettable.

TigerClaw
11-21-2016, 09:15 AM
I thought it was a pretty good episode, plenty of emotions on this one, and I knew they would bring back Donnie in the end.

TMNTInsighter
11-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Tiger Claw doesn't really have much in terms of personality or any major impact on the story either, I'll grant you that he (might) be more "badass" than the others but that doeesn't really make him interesting. He's been around since season 2 and it's still a little while (either the end of season 4 or start of season 5) until we get to explore his backstory in-depth, so it's not that weird some people find him forgettable.

That's not true nea, Tiger Claw has had the most personality and some of the better moments in this series than any of the others. He's taken offense and/or questioned some of Shredder's decisions and/or orders in episodes such as "Vengeance is Mine", "The Invasion", "Return to New York", "Annihilation: Earth!", "Darkest Plight", etc.
Granted, as interesting an enigma as his character is, he's also frustrating at times. He'll do or say something reasonable such as in episodes like those already mentioned, but before you know it he'll do or say something as stupid as the other villains. He still has the most potential of the secondary villains, it just needs to come to fruition.

TigerClaw
11-21-2016, 09:21 AM
At least this episode mentioned Mutagen Man.

THGhost
11-21-2016, 09:22 AM

Certainly not forgettable to our resident TigerClaw though. :P

That's not true nea, Tiger Claw has had the most personality and some of the better moments in this series than any of the others. He's taken offense and/or questioned some of Shredder's decisions and/or orders in episodes such as "Vengeance is Mine", "The Invasion", "Return to New York", "Annihilation: Earth!", "Darkest Plight", etc.
Granted, as interesting an enigma as his character is, he's also frustrating at times. He'll do or say something reasonable such as in episodes like those already mentioned, but before you know it he'll do or say something as stupid as the other villains. He still has the most potential of the secondary villains, it just needs to come to fruition.

^ This.

Vivi
11-21-2016, 09:44 AM

It was the best part of the episode.

NoName999
11-21-2016, 11:24 AM
So did anyone else, when it first rained, thought that was Donnie's liquidly innards at first?

...what? lol

Also it's quite silly that Dark Phoenix had no qualms about killing Donnie, but spared the Purple Dragons and Shredder's Henchmen for some reason. You know.... guys responsible for sadness in the city

victory_angel
11-21-2016, 02:16 PM
So did anyone else, when it first rained, thought that was Donnie's liquidly innards at first?

...what? lol

Also it's quite silly that Dark Phoenix had no qualms about killing Donnie, but spared the Purple Dragons and Shredder's Henchmen for some reason. You know.... guys responsible for sadness in the city

Za-Noran killed Donnie off quickly because she knew if given the chance he could break the hold that she had on April. Because she understood he was someone who really mattered to April, and because of that he was seen as a threat. By killing him off, that also broke April's moral.

Everyone else April takes sadistic pleasure in harming, even when she is murdering Raph she does make quite a show of dislocating his limbs so he suffers before she kills him.

TMNTInsighter
11-21-2016, 02:30 PM
NoName still makes a point. If the elimination of these people was what Za-Naron wanted, she still should've done it just like she did Donnie. The fact that they didn't get the same treatment first seems pretty jarring if you think about it, plus it almost makes Don's death and resurrection seem like shock value and of the cheap kind.

JTH
11-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Still wondering if this was originally supposed to be the finale.

The season was supposed to be 20 episodes, and the Super Shredder arc looks like it's going to be about 6 episodes total.

IndigoErth
11-21-2016, 03:53 PM

...what? lol
Yes o.O

Also... Donnie seems to be made of glitter. :tlol:

Yeah, why no killing actual bad guys, but yet Donnie? :ohwell: Then again, "she" came out of April and into that creepy alien bat-looking 'form,' so maybe her ideas about good and bad are distorted.

Glad this is set to tone down April's "powers" a little. Maybe.

And hey, Rahzar is still kicking after all.

Edit:

http://66.media.tumblr.com/34847621e1614f07ada7a5c43f59a3e1/tumblr_ogxpv6UskN1rmhk25o2_400.png
About that human "nasal aperture" (nose hole) on a character without a human nose, or any obvious nose at all. *curious face*

Although now I feel like this is an evolutionary link for PD and some more recent game designs that kind of have noses now. lol

ssjup81
11-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Yes o.O

Also... Donnie seems to be made of glitter. :tlol:I thought the same thing, actually, but was relieved that it started raining.Yeah, why no killing actual bad guys, but yet Donnie? :ohwell: Then again, "she" came out of April and into that creepy alien bat-looking 'form,' so maybe her ideas about good and bad are distorted.I figured the Aeon-Zuul killed Donnie because he was starting to get through to her more compared to anyone else who tried at the time. To me, Aeon-Zuul wanted full control over April.Glad this is set to tone down April's "powers" a little. Maybe.They'll probably go back to being more normal, but slightly enhanced thanks to the Fugitoid and Splinter's training.And hey, Rahzar is still kicking after all.Yeah, being crunched by a train, no problem. :P

turtle1237
11-21-2016, 10:54 PM
So April can now fly and raise the dead. Is there any thing April cant do?

oldmanwinters
11-22-2016, 06:11 AM

Commit to a relationship? :tcool:

THGhost
11-22-2016, 10:35 AM

Become a news reporter? :P

Utrommaniac
11-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Get Bishop or Rook a proper mentor to help her hone her own abilities?

ssjup81
11-22-2016, 02:51 PM
So April can now fly and raise the dead. Is there any thing April cant do?But the flying April thing was Aeon-Zuul. Got me on the latter. :lol:

That aside I doubt either will be featured again.

IndigoErth
11-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Why in the first place did the Aeons reward April with a piece of the crystal they should have known contained the spirits of their ancestors... :tconfuse:

Oh hey, here's a fragment of it, I think this crystal point contains grandma Za-naron. Just so you know, she'll probably try to possess you eventually and turn you evil while claiming to want to rid your world of evil, should you make it back home. That's okay, right?

Vicky82
11-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Why the first place did the Aeons reward April with a piece of the crystal they should have known contained the spirits of their ancestors... :tconfuse:

Because they didn't know that earth was corrupted, they thought the crystal would be safe. It was mentioned in the backstory.

ssjup81
11-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Why the first place did the Aeons reward April with a piece of the crystal they should have known contained the spirits of their ancestors... :tconfuse:Simple. They knew how addictive crack was and didn't want that stuff on their planet. They also didn't want to get busted. :P:lol:

But in all seriousness, what Vicky said.

lonewarrior20
11-22-2016, 03:33 PM
i can see her at an addiction meeting.
"hi, my names april and i was addicted to a crystal that increased my psychic powers."
"hi april."
"i only chose to destroy it after an alien entity took me over and caused me to discombobulate my friend which is a giant mutant ninja turtle into the city's atmosphere."
"young lady this meeting is for those that are trying to deal with their addictions and we all don't appreciate being made fun of. now please leave."

IndigoErth
11-22-2016, 03:39 PM
:tlol:

"No! No, it's true! I need help!"
"Yes. Yes you do."

Klunk1234
11-22-2016, 04:56 PM
It was absolutely shocking :o :tsad:watching Donnie being desintegrated by "Zanaron" who was in total control of April. Then the boys remind their friend all the things they have been doing during their patrol together, and to remember Donnie. Only then, April was able to destroy that crystal and be free from that monster control. Then integrated Donnie his normal form, he was in particles, but not dead, like I though.

It was enough what they did to my Donnie on issue #44 from the IDW comics.

ranger_scout
11-22-2016, 05:35 PM
This episode really did have a "Dark Phoenix X-Men" vibe to it. Plus, what happened to Donnie was similar to what the Phoenix did to Professor X. Fortunately, neither Donnie or Professor were killed. I like the reference to Ghostbusters.

Donny's computer84
11-22-2016, 05:48 PM
It was absolutely shocking :o :tsad:watching Donnie being desintegrated by "Zanaron" who was in total control of April. Then the boys remind their friend all the things they have been doing during their patrol together, and to remember Donnie. Only then, April was able to destroy that crystal and be free from that monster control. Then integrated Donnie his normal form, he was in particles, but not dead, like I though.

The episode was full of action, I was shocked when she disintegrates Donny. She was able to get him back.:D

TheJ-manTurtleMan
11-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Check out my episode review on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgWdG6ZfyNw

Turtle-X
11-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Commit to a relationship? :tcool:

:lol: heh, yeah.

though, Casey hasn't been around much since they returned from space. guess all that time together on a spaceship wasn't so great.

Redworld96
11-25-2016, 11:35 AM
@TMNTMaster has posted the storyboard of Donnie's "death" scene:

https://twitter.com/TMNTMaster/status/802210357184004096

CyberCubed
11-26-2016, 12:30 PM

That is just dope!

IronBoomer
11-27-2016, 05:52 PM
In place of a Shredder, YOU WOULD HAVE A QUEEN!
ALL WILL LOVE PIZZA AND DESPAIR

...was I the only one thinking that reference?

THGhost
11-30-2016, 07:21 AM

Sweet. I like how they draw each turtle with their assigned colour. Nice simple way of telling them apart on the storyboards.

turtle1237
12-06-2016, 08:10 PM

Being blown into to a million pieces, I don't care for your fancy words of disintegrated, lol. He was dead. His organs were all over the place in the rain. How much deader can one be?

Tarris Vaal
12-07-2016, 06:32 AM
I kinda have to agree.
He was quite dead. He was no more. He had ceased to be. He'd expired and gone to meet his maker. He shuffled off his mortal coil. Bereft of life and ceased to be. He was an Ex Turtle.

Still an awesome episode though :)

I'm quite surprised how well it holds up on repeat viewing as well. Just wish this whole series was 40min episodes. Could have done so much more with this.

ssjup81
12-07-2016, 08:51 AM
I kinda have to agree.
He was quite dead. He was no more. He had ceased to be. He'd expired and gone to meet his maker. He shuffled off his mortal coil. Bereft of life and ceased to be. He was an Ex Turtle.

Still an awesome episode though :)

I'm quite surprised how well it holds up on repeat viewing as well. Just wish this whole series was 40min episodes. Could have done so much more with this.:lol: I'm in the mood to watch Nostalgia Critic's review for The Room now.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
12-17-2016, 07:59 PM
I liked the episode, in and of itself, but was a little lukewarm to the whole crystal plot thread. It just seemed kinda random to me. When her hair got all spikey and she transformed she reminded me of Syndrome from The Incredibles. Sort of a cross between him and Zuul from Ghostbusters.

Redworld96
02-12-2017, 03:36 AM
I was researching a little about Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! (you surely already know Ciro was the creator), and when I was watching the last episode of the show I could see some similarities with Riddle of the Ancient Aeons/The Power Inside Her (I will put them in spoilers because is kind of extensive :lol: ):

You maybe have heard about SRMTHFG because Ciro has put many references of this show during the space arc of TMNT 2012 season 4.

The last episode, called “Soul of Evil” , calls my attention because the first half of the episode is very similar to Riddle of the Ancient Aeons, when April gets the crystal of the Soul Star (and when the theories of Dark April started).

https://68.media.tumblr.com/7b8c5221a77c13219c82e9f5a8e537a9/tumblr_inline_ol8julxGuw1rbtpg9_540.jpg

While the second half of the episode is very similiar to The Power Inside Her (when Dark April ends), and there’s a parallel between Donnie-April and Nova-Sparx, but here the corrupted one is the red guy (Sparx) ,and the yellow girl (Nova) is the one who tried to bring him back but also the one who received more damage from him.

Even there are dialogues that actually were said in The Power Inside Her!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/320c20624d881b1f7e5f5e1f2a94485a/tumblr_inline_ol8ju9o2SP1rbtpg9_540.jpg

If in TMNT Za-Naron lost control over April because April thought about Donnie thanks to Raph, here it was Nova’s words (and her love for Sparx) that put end to his corruption. One difference: In this episode Nova and Sparx (apparently) become a couple, while Donnie-April, well… at least they’re healthy, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Apritello becomes canon in the last episode of the show, just like Nova/Sparx.

It could say more similarities between this show and TMNT in this episode, but instead of that, I invite you to watch the episode and see by yourself the similarities.

neatoman
02-12-2017, 05:43 AM
I was researching a little about Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! (you surely already know Ciro was the creator), and when I was watching the last episode of the show I could see some similarities with Riddle of the Ancient Aeons/The Power Inside Her (I will put them in spoilers because is kind of extensive :lol: ):

You maybe have heard about SRMTHFG because Ciro has put many references of this show during the space arc of TMNT 2012 season 4.

The last episode, called “Soul of Evil” , calls my attention because the first half of the episode is very similar to Riddle of the Ancient Aeons, when April gets the crystal of the Soul Star (and when the theories of Dark April started).

https://68.media.tumblr.com/7b8c5221a77c13219c82e9f5a8e537a9/tumblr_inline_ol8julxGuw1rbtpg9_540.jpg

While the second half of the episode is very similiar to The Power Inside Her (when Dark April ends), and there’s a parallel between Donnie-April and Nova-Sparx, but here the corrupted one is the red guy (Sparx) ,and the yellow girl (Nova) is the one who tried to bring him back but also the one who received more damage from him.

Even there are dialogues that actually were said in The Power Inside Her!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/320c20624d881b1f7e5f5e1f2a94485a/tumblr_inline_ol8ju9o2SP1rbtpg9_540.jpg

If in TMNT Za-Naron lost control over April because April thought about Donnie thanks to Raph, here it was Nova’s words (and her love for Sparx) that put end to his corruption. One difference: In this episode Nova and Sparx (apparently) become a couple, while Donnie-April, well… at least they’re healthy, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Apritello becomes canon in the last episode of the show, just like Nova/Sparx.

It could say more similarities between this show and TMNT in this episode, but instead of that, I invite you to watch the episode and see by yourself the similarities.

I really hope this is an homage and not a recycled script like in the Wyrm case. Is it too similar like in that case, right?

Redworld96
02-12-2017, 08:10 AM
I really hope this is an homage and not a recycled script like in the Wyrm case. Is it too similar like in that case, right?

The Power Inside Her was inspired in Dark Phoenix of XMen, Ghostbusters and in my opinion in SRMTHFG too. I think it's just an homage of all those movies/tv shows.