PDA

View Full Version : The Next TMNT Series

Vegita-San
11-27-2016, 12:06 PM
So, we've probably got at least another year of the current show, as you know they are going to drag things out till NYCC next year.

And we've probably got till i'd say 2022 till Nick feels it's right to do another TMNT Series.

But, that being said, what would you like to see in the Next series?

I think this series needs to be put off Nickelodean proper and head to NetFlix.

Netflix would allow you to avoid the kiddy trap that Nick Requires.. No making everyone teens. no going for the romance triangle to try and gain female viewers. No violence restrictions.

We've seen that no one but Fred Wolf Can do Fred Wolf Characters justice, for the most part. so I would like to leave those characters totally behind. Do something fresh. Keep it to Shredder, Mutants and the Utroms. but expand it.

Don't forget the Turtles are NINJA's. the PD series avoided this entirely. and the Nick series only kind of brought it up from time to time, mostly against Krang fights.

Have a cohesive vision. the nick series felt like five different people where running it, mostly playmates. playmates should have no deciding factor in show storylines in the next series. they suck.

CyberCubed
11-27-2016, 12:07 PM
We've seen that no one but Fred Wolf Can do Fred Wolf Characters justice, for the most part. .

Nick and IDW handled all those characters just fine.

Tarris Vaal
11-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Netflix would allow you to avoid the kiddy trap that Nick Requires.. No making everyone teens. no going for the romance triangle to try and gain female viewers. No violence restrictions.

While I completely agree with you on the 'kiddy trap' point, I am curious why you think the romance triangle was purely for female viewers - or why it should be avoided?

I mean romantic relationships and how to deal with them is integral not only to growing up, but to long term storylines in general - Even something as action orientated as Star wars has significant time dedicated around a given set of romantic relationships.

I dont mean to derail the thread over this topic - but I thought it was a curious thing to specifically single out as being presumably 'bad'.

Overall though - I do feel that first and foremost the show needs longer episodes with more time dedicated to character moments and reflection - something which gets forgotten or skimmed over in many instances.

Additional violence is fine (though I think merely not being afraid of 'realistic' violence is more important).

I dont see a problem with altering the existing characters a little to better match up within a given iteration (case in point - reducing ages for April and Casey to match up with the turtles better). I didn't have a problem with it, and I dont really see why it would be a problem to tweak the dynamics a little now and again.

plastroncafe
11-27-2016, 02:21 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

IndigoErth
11-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Though I am a fan of 3D and use it a bit myself sometimes, I would not mind going back to 2D. And older Turtles (20s or 30s) to open the possibility for new stories post-teen years, instead of always rehashing everything over and over. As much as I love 2012 and it's been fun to see the Turtles actually appear young, I'm ready for older seeming Turtles again, and actual young adult ones would be cool for once.

Heck, movie criticism aside, there is some art fans have done of the PD Turtles that I really like the art style a lot**, they have so much potential to look decent in 2D. (But leave it to fans I guess to improve it.) Throw in really good writers (maybe grab the best from 2012 and see about getting some back from 2003)...it's a shame the films bombed so bad that there is no potential of it ever being considered.

** examples such as this, (http://freakfreak.deviantart.com/art/movie-style-raph-and-leo-510067810) this, (http://msobscure.deviantart.com/art/Petals-620177492) and this (that makes me laugh every time). (http://msobscure.deviantart.com/art/Busted-538146580) (Albeit not all of their TMNT content, some of which I don't personally agree with and stick to what's not that way, but I do love their art style.) Even if some hate me or scoff at me for even suggesting it... :trazz: Gah, I really feel that these Turtles could carry an "older" version well with good writers. Limited to 2D cartoon levels of detail, coloring and shading I think the design would come across as looking a little more traditional and flattering than in the film.

Edit: Romance? Eh, I find it harmless if they simply dealt with unrequited crushes or whatnot. Fills them out a little as whole characters. Just don't make them like 2012 Donnie or 2014 Mikey, please... No nice guy, creeper, etc stuff. If one of them quietly longs for a crush to notice them, or a crush who may never even know they exist (maybe someone they often see who lives or works nearby) because they can never let their existence be known, that's fine. That would be relatable and innocent, rather than making it weird.

Tarris Vaal
11-27-2016, 02:55 PM
I hadn't considered the presentation actually.

2D would be nice to see again, but I'm curious what you might think of a live action variant? (assuming money was not a major concern - obviously it would be in real life but for the sake of argument)

Vegita-San
11-27-2016, 02:59 PM
While I completely agree with you on the 'kiddy trap' point, I am curious why you think the romance triangle was purely for female viewers - or why it should be avoided?

Normally, I wouldn't have brought it up, but i do remember a contingent of some female viewers wanting the turtles to hook up with various human cast members in past message board posts even before this series came about.
and as i recall, it was mostly the female turtle fans that where trying to setup the turtle characters with other characters..

I could be mis remembering though, in which case, I will rescind the female fan comment ;o).

that being said,
regular romance is fine. but inter species romance is a little weird..and every woman on the show becoming a romance plotline, even if for a joke or two is even weirder :). well, minus robot irma :)

Vegita-San
11-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Edit: Romance? Eh, I find it harmless if they simply dealt with unrequited crushes or whatnot. Fills them out a little as whole characters. Just don't make them like 2012 Donnie or 2014 Mikey, please... No nice guy, creeper, etc stuff. If one of them quietly longs for a crush to notice them, or a crush who may never even know they exist (maybe someone they often see who lives or works nearby) because they can never let their existence be known, that's fine. That would be relatable and innocent, rather than making it weird.

Yeah, that too. Don was a creep towards april in some cases.

a crush as a joke or two is fine. but as an entire plotline, n oand no.

Tarris Vaal
11-27-2016, 03:11 PM
regular romance is fine. but inter species romance is a little weird..and every woman on the show becoming a romance plotline, even if for a joke or two is even weirder . well, minus robot irma

Fair enough - I guess I just love the idea of exploring the fall out from something like that (prejudice, societal perception, etc).
It just struck me as a bit harsh at first :)
And fair point with the female characters being too often romantic interests.

I have to say I would like to see a greater focus on villains outside of Shredder - particularly the more human factions like the Purple dragons or the EPF

Powder
11-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Do you make any posts that aren't thinly veiled attacks on the Nickelodeon show anymore? :(

IndigoErth
11-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Definitely have to agree with you on the women not always being a romantic interest. I guess in some way it is affected by the fact that society tends to look at female singlehood as a personal defect, but eesh... If they don't want a female character single - then fine, she's with some guy who's generally off camera and he simply stays out of the story and her exploits in it. Would that be so hard?
Normally, I wouldn't have brought it up, but i do remember a contingent of some female viewers wanting the turtles to hook up with various human cast members in past message board posts even before this series came about.
and as i recall, it was mostly the female turtle fans that where trying to setup the turtle characters with other characters..

I could be mis remembering though, in which case, I will rescind the female fan comment ;o).
And society labels men as being the ones with sex on the brain all the time... :lol: I mean who is it that [some claim] always wants two characters to just get it on already?? :tlol: Although really I have no idea what the actual ratio is on how much men may do that vs women and can't say I've paid much attention to it.

Although... when the main stars are a bunch of male characters, yeah, many women's "viewer relationship" (for lack of a better term) with them may be a little different perspective than that of many male viewers. I'm sure viewers of either gender would just as gladly hang out with the Turtles and share a beer or something (okay prob a pizza), but I don't imagine quite as many guys would also want to snuggle them as well, so... lol

Vegita-San
11-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Fair enough - I guess I just love the idea of exploring the fall out from something like that (prejudice, societal perception, etc).
It just struck me as a bit harsh at first :)
And fair point with the female characters being too often romantic interests.

I have to say I would like to see a greater focus on villains outside of Shredder - particularly the more human factions like the Purple dragons or the EPF

I didn't intend for that to be the focus of the thread, just something that stuck out in my mind as i wish they wouldn't do next time around....

yeah. The Kraang didn't get much development, but at least they felt like a full fledged and thought out enemy. everyone else, not so much.

I would like to see mobsters be a main enemy for one season in the next show. mobsters are ALWAYS fun in TMNT.

TigerClaw
11-27-2016, 06:24 PM
I didn't intend for that to be the focus of the thread, just something that stuck out in my mind as i wish they wouldn't do next time around....

yeah. The Kraang didn't get much development, but at least they felt like a full fledged and thought out enemy. everyone else, not so much.

I would like to see mobsters be a main enemy for one season in the next show. mobsters are ALWAYS fun in TMNT.
Speaking of The Kraang, That is something I hope they change for the next rebooted series, Give us a proper Krang that is an Utrom, like what they did on the IDW series.

sdp
11-27-2016, 06:45 PM
I love how the OP has a bunch of baseless speculation on when something will end/re-start and then writes a fanfic about what they want.

The next TMNT series? I don't see one after this one ends for a while and when will the Nick show end? Things don't seem to be looking up to it and it could be cancelled any day now or be left to slowly die for the next 2-3 years, who knows what Viacom wants. Viacoms the show and hates Netflix btw so that ain't happening.

Vegita-San
11-27-2016, 07:24 PM
I love how the OP has a bunch of baseless speculation on when something will end/re-start and then writes a fanfic about what they want.

I love how people don't ignore stuff they apparently find offensive and just have to complain about it. or trash someone's post... ;o).

Honestly, it's the most draining part of browsing posts these days..

trust me, you're life will be alot easier when you use the ignore feature, cause i know mine is :). it's updated weekly :).

CyberCubed
11-27-2016, 07:47 PM
trust me, you're life will be alot easier when you use the ignore feature, cause i know mine is :). it's updated weekly :).

You could always just leave the forum entirely. I know there's not many other places online to discuss TMNT, but if you don't care for the current franchise there's not much for you to discuss.

sdp
11-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Well the title doesn't reflect what you write in the OP, it should've been "What I want from the next TMNT show and other rants" and I would've igonred it, if you're just going to block those who criticize your topics then what type of discussion do you hope to have in your "safe" bobble?

I don't try to be too negative but the topic was a bit ridiculous but I guess I'm in your weekly updated ignore list. I don't think I've ever blocked anyone unless they're actually harassing me a lot but oh well I guess I'm in one now :lol:

Vegita-San
11-27-2016, 07:59 PM
I don't try to be too negative but the topic was a bit ridiculous but I guess I'm in your weekly updated ignore list. I don't think I've ever blocked anyone unless they're actually harassing me a lot but oh well I guess I'm in one now :lol:

Not yet. :)

I just get a bit defensive when people criticize about how I post things. yet they completely ignore the positive stuff posted and only go on about what they deem as negative.

It gets super draining. and not wanting to deal with that isn't a 'safe bubble'. it's just not wanting to deal with jerks. I'm still here posting, much to their chagrin, arn't I? I'm just not seeing THEIR posts :)

Oh well, you do have a point about the thread title though.

pferreira
12-01-2016, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't mind the next TMNT series to go back to 2D animation. We'll see what happens.

PixieAnna1
12-26-2016, 11:45 PM
What Netflix did with Voltron is what I would really like to see. Good character writing with comedy and balanced out with good animated action scenes.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-27-2016, 12:57 AM
I wonder how well an entire show could turn out if it focused on the side characters. For e.g. Make a show focusing on the past of splinter and shredder or Casey Jones.

Powder
12-27-2016, 12:58 AM
I think an origins of the Foot Clan/Saki/Yoshi story would make for a fantastic live action Netflix series. Casey as well, though to a lesser extent.

snake
12-27-2016, 01:37 AM
I wonder how well an entire show could turn out if it focused on the side characters. For e.g. Make a show focusing on the past of splinter and shredder or Casey Jones.

Ehhh, as cool as it would be, a TMNT show would be a hard sell without the turtles themselves. I could see arcs based off backstories/revolving around certain characters where the turtles are absent, but not an entire show.

CyberCubed
12-27-2016, 02:00 AM
The 2020's will have their own TMNT cartoon.

- Late 80's to mid 90's was the original cartoon.

- The 2000's was the 4kids series, it started in 2003 and ended in 2009.

- Nick started in 2012...and will probably end somewhere in 2018.

So each decade basically has a new TMNT series for the new young generation of kids to get into. It's like Pokemon generations, every couple of years TMNT "reboots" for a new generation of kids.