PDA

View Full Version : Sped-Up Voices in Funny, I Shrunk Michelangelo a good idea?

LuckyLadybug
11-28-2016, 05:38 AM
So when I got around to watching Funny, I Shrunk Michelangelo some time back, I honestly could not stand the sped-up chipmunk voices for Michelangelo, April, and Vernon. It definitely made sense; that's about how their voices would realistically sound to regular-sized characters. But it was so difficult to understand them that it seriously drove me nuts.

Did anyone else have problems understanding them? Regardless of whether you did or not, do you like the idea of sped-up voices in such a scenario? Personally, I feel like a series like this has already thrown logic out the window, so why make the characters hard to understand for practically the entire episode? :D The Incredible Shrinking Turtles did higher voices too, but not so high that it nearly caused an ear-strain to listen!

cammy85
11-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Yes, the Michelangelo shrinking episode was harder to bare because of that but it paled in comparison to having Talbot Breech in the bathtub - twice. Ugh!!!

Ulisa
11-28-2016, 02:27 PM
I never liked the sped up voices. I understand why they did it and what they're saying tying to reflect but I don't think it works too well. Since we're following Mikey, it should be on his viewpoint and I doubt his voice would sound high pitched to him because his whole environment has changed. If anything, it should have been quieter in tone when talking to his brothers near the end but nothing else.

CyberCubed
11-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Wasn't it done to copy the Chimpmunks on Disney which was airing at the time?

Ulisa
11-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Wasn't it done to copy the Chimpmunks on Disney which was airing at the time?

I dunno; seemed like a lot of shows that did Shrinking plot lines did the same thing with heightening characters voices. Not sure who started the trend.

pferreira
12-01-2016, 10:06 AM
I dunno; seemed like a lot of shows that did Shrinking plot lines did the same thing with heightening characters voices. Not sure who started the trend.Chip N Dale or the Chipmunks. I like the episode and can understand what they're saying but I can understand why it might be grating to some.

blindturtle02
12-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Yeah I never liked the pitched up voices either. I understood what Mikey, April, and Vernon were saying, but it always used to give me a headache as a kid. I remember equating it to nails on a chalkboard. As for Breech in the tub, I'm glad we never got that action figure.

oldmanwinters
12-03-2016, 07:33 PM
I found the episode almost unbearable to watch because of that. I wish they could have used regular voice dubbing for scenes between the focus characters and only used that annoying sped-up effect for scenes that have full-sized person point of views. I think Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers did things like that from time to time.

BTW, could a Mod make this thread into the official Talkback destination for "Funny, They Shrunk Michaelangelo?" and provide a hyperlink to the OT Talkback Index?
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=27789

MrPliggins
12-03-2016, 09:20 PM
It was pretty annoying and made for a pretty lackluster episode. I preferred Mike's voice when he was turned into a gerbil by Baxter Stockman in "Bye Bye Fly".

Lisardo
12-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Guess sped up chipmunk voices were popular back then. Tho I noticed their eff-up with April at one point - she's still small and yet talked with her 'normal' voice. Opps!

Powder
12-08-2016, 06:38 PM
This came on the other day & while I don't especially like the hi-pitched voices, they don't bother me much either. I see why they did it, though. I'm indifferent to the whole thing. Weird episode in general...

CyberCubed
12-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Well, it was just for a mad scientist type episode, so its not a big deal. It was basically a Tom and Jerry episode with Mike running from the fat cat in the episode.

Wesley
12-09-2016, 03:35 PM
I didn't mind the sped-up voices, though I can understand why some people might have found them irritating. I thought the actual episode was alright. There were worse eps in the series than that one.

Jephael
12-09-2016, 08:09 PM
I kinda remember in the season 2 episode "Incredible Shrinking Turtles" their voices weren't high pitched but they did have their voices filtered in some bizarre way. I dunno exactly what you'd call it. Similar to what Lisa mentioned, in that episode they accidentally put April's voice through the same filter near the end of the episode even though only the Turtles were shrunk.

Lisardo
12-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Their voices were high-pitched there as well.

blindturtle02
12-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Their voices were high-pitched there as well.

Yeah, they reminded me more of smurf voices in s2e2. They were pitched up, but not too much.