PDA

View Full Version : Do you see yourself ever outgrowing video games?

Prowler
11-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Many people like video games, especially when they're kids/teenagers. But, as people age, they tend to game less and less, which is understandable due to games taking time which you do not really have much anymore now that you're an adult working a full time job and/or studying at the same time. Playing a game isn't as easy as popping up a movie or a cartoon and sitting there doing nothing but look at the screen for about an hour or so.

I've gone through an "outgrowing video games" phase once. From 2009 to 2012. I didn't play much during that period. But then I made a steam account and the flame was once again rekindled.

I'm a big fan of the "never say never" saying, so I'm cautious about the idea of liking video games forever. I can see myself still playing them in my 30s, but in my 40s and 50s? Dunno man. Depends on how things go for me and for the industry.

I really hope the NX is good. And if I one day see Nintendo calling it quits as far as hardware goes, a part of me will die, as silly as this sounds. Sega quitting making consoles was already a bit of a blow, but Nintendo?! Holy s*it, that's truly sadden me. I mean, come on now, I grew up playing Mario, Sonic, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Zelda, etc.

What about you? Ever had a period where you seemed to outgrow games? And do you think you'll ever reach a point where you won't feel like playing games anymore?

PApagreg
11-29-2016, 06:44 PM
As long as I find video games to be fun and I can actually play them then no

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-29-2016, 06:58 PM
I did. I've occasionally played a game for about a week (usually when I'm sick), but it's a rare thing nowadays.

Powder
11-29-2016, 07:02 PM
I do not, no.

snake
I did about a year or two ago. Only time I play is when I have people over.

Prowler
I did. I've occasionally played a game for about a week (usually when I'm sick), but it's a rare thing nowadays.
Well, you have a family, don't you? I guess a long game would demand a lot of free time out of you that you don't have nowadays. Or is there another reason for you to have outgrown them?

I did about a year or two ago. Only time I play is when I have people over.
How old were you again? 16? What made you outgrow gaming?

TurtleTitan97
11-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Seems unlikely at the moment.

Prowler
11-29-2016, 07:09 PM
I do not, no.
Didn't expect anythign else from you :)

Seems unlikely at the moment.
Same here. The reason I don't play games all day anymore is because life gets in the way. Which is also good since that means every time I pick up a game it will be more enjoyable than simply playing games all the time, which can eventually lead to burnout(no, not the game series).

Powder
11-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Yeah well I've been playing all the same games for 23 years. :tlol: If I'm not sick of 'em at this point, I'm a lifer.

If responsibilities should obstruct me, well, so be it, but I'll still spend free time on gaemu.

Shark_Blade
11-29-2016, 07:12 PM
I play and watch people play games.

Prowler
11-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Yeah well I've been playing all the same games for 23 years. :tlol: If I'm not sick of 'em at this point, I'm a lifer.
Super Mario World and the first 3 SMB games are probably the games I've bought the most times in my life. I always end up buying their remakes(Super Mario All-Stars both SNES and Wii versions and the Super Mario Advance GBA games).

I can pretty much play SMW in auto-pilot. That game will go with me to the grave. There's just something magical about it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Super Mario World and the first 3 SMB games are probably the games I've bought the most times in my life. I always end up buying their remakes(Super Mario All-Stars both SNES and Wii versions and the Super Mario Advance GBA games).

I can pretty much play SMW in auto-pilot. That game will go with me to the grave. There's just something magical about it.

If responsibilities should obstruct me, well, so be it, but I'll still spend free time on gaemu.

That's the funny thing. Whenever I do pick up a game, I pretty much only play games I used to play as a kid... those first four Mario games for NES and SNES. :tlol:

Gonna introduce them to my kids when they're old enough.

Well, you have a family, don't you? I guess a long game would demand a lot of free time out of you that you don't have nowadays. Or is there another reason for you to have outgrown them?

Yeah, with a family I really only have so much free time and my writing takes precedence. I do want to someday play the Mass Effect trilogy, though... everyone has convinced me that it is epic sci-fi.

Powder
11-29-2016, 07:18 PM

Same for me, just toss SMW, Turtles In Time, Tournament Fighters, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, & A Link To The Past into my coffin. :tlol: We grew up with some pretty mesmerizing, incredibly fun stuff. All the old stuff is so good I'm only just now catching up with a lot of later (yet now old) titles! I don't think I'll ever run out of games to check out. It was in the last 2 years that I started getting into Valve's offerings, & lately I'm diving into arcade games.

TurtleWA
11-29-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm just getting back into video games. I could see my generation (those in their 20's & 30's) being the first generation of gamers in retirement homes. I think many of us will be senior citizen gamers for one reason or another. May outgrown for awhile but eventually circle back.

ToTheNines
11-29-2016, 07:21 PM
I did. I miss it, bit I'm so bad with time management that I just can't even do anything beyond play a little bit on the the NES or SNES

Prowler
11-29-2016, 07:22 PM
That's the funny thing. Whenever I do pick up a game, I pretty much only play games I used to play as a kid... those first four Mario games for NES and SNES. :tlol:

Gonna introduce them to my kids when they're old enough.

Yeah, with a family I really only have so much free time and my writing takes precedence. I do want to someday play the Mass Effect trilogy, though... everyone has convinced me that it is epic sci-fi.
I was born in 1990, but my brother was born in 1983. So I had access to NES, genesis and SNES games when I was a kid. I was very fortunate :tgrin:. Considering Nintendo has never sold much in my country, many people my age here haven't played the best Mario and Zelda games. jesus can you imagine going through your whole life without ever playing A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, SMB3 and SMW?! :o

Same for me, just toss SMW, Turtles In Time, Tournament Fighters, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, & A Link To The Past into my coffin. :tlol: We grew up with some pretty mesmerizing, incredibly fun stuff.
I downloaded DKC2 for my 3DS. It's fun. Also confession: ...I never played Yoshi's Island :oops:

Ocarina? I replayed a few years ago on the GameCube and honestly... i feel tempted to buy the 3DS version someday :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
11-29-2016, 07:33 PM
I was born in 1990, but my brother was born in 1983. So I had access to NES, genesis and SNES games when I was a kid. I was very fortunate :tgrin:. Considering Nintendo has never sold much in my country, many people my age here haven't played the best Mario and Zelda games. jesus can you imagine going through your whole life without ever playing A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, SMB3 and SMW?! :o

I downloaded DKC2 for my 3DS. It's fun. Also confession: ...I never played Yoshi's Island :oops:

Ocarina? I replayed a few years ago on the GameCube and honestly... i feel tempted to buy the 3DS version someday :lol:

I never played a Zelda game in my life, but yeah, Yoshi's Island is great, too. Good stuff. That and the other Mario games, the Donkey Kong games, TMNT TiT, Star Fox, and Sunsetriders. That's my gaming hit list, right there. Since grade school.

ToTheNines
11-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Oh dude. Figure out a way to play Ocarina of Time right now.

PApagreg
11-29-2016, 07:36 PM
I do want to someday play the Mass Effect trilogy, though... everyone has convinced me that it is epic sci-fi.

You're better off watching a walk through or something.

Prowler
11-29-2016, 07:44 PM
I never played a Zelda game in my life, but yeah, Yoshi's Island is great, too. Good stuff. That and the other Mario games, the Donkey Kong games, TMNT TiT, Star Fox, and Sunsetriders. That's my gaming hit list, right there. Since grade school.
Oh really? well I suggest you pick up A Link to the Past or OoT first. Those are my favourite ones. Many people love WW, but I'm not so high on that one.

I haven't played TP andSS yet and haven't played much of MM back in the day(ofc I'll get the 3DS version someday).

Sunsetriders I've never owned or played at all.

Same for me, just toss SMW, Turtles In Time, Tournament Fighters, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, & A Link To The Past into my coffin. :tlol: We grew up with some pretty mesmerizing, incredibly fun stuff. All the old stuff is so good I'm only just now catching up with a lot of later (yet now old) titles! I don't think I'll ever run out of games to check out. It was in the last 2 years that I started getting into Valve's offerings, & lately I'm diving into arcade games.

Hey, I've also been able to play older games as a teenager/adult that I never got the opportunity to when I was a little kid. Like Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles, per example. I grew up with the first ever Sonic game, but luckily my brother got Sonic Mega Collection for the GC around 2006-2007 and thus I was able to play Sonic 2, the best Sonic game ever. For Christmas 2007, I got Mega man Anniversary Collection. As a kid, i grew up with MM2 only, but the AC allowed me to play MM1, MM3, MM4, MM5 and MM6.

And like I've said, I never played DKC2 until this year, which I'm now playing(once in a while). And will eventually play DKC3 as well.

However,some classic games are heavily outdated. CastleVania 1-3... those controls are sooooo stiff. Super CastleVania IV is enjoyable, though.

sdp
11-29-2016, 09:53 PM
I grew out of video games after 8th grade, after that it was with the Wii that I got hardcore into videogames again but while I haven't grown out I've definitely been more of a very casual fan. I rarely play even if I do keep up with the majority of the news. I still buy games and plan on getting a Switch and also buy games on Steam.

CyberCubed
11-29-2016, 10:03 PM
People outgrow videogames? I play games for at least 2-3 hours a day on weekdays, and probably 5 hours a day on weekends.

I own every Nintendo and Sony console and have 50+ games for nearly all of them. I prefer games over TV shows and movies so I don't really watch as much as I game.

TigerClaw
11-29-2016, 10:22 PM
People will never outgrow video games, There are lots of mobile games that people play on there smartphones, so they are never gonna outgrow it.

Wildcat
11-29-2016, 10:41 PM
I absolutely know I will never outgrow video games. I don't play them for hours on end but a couple hours whenever I'm working on a new one. I'm kinda backed up at the moment though. I need an Xbox One or PS4 (and Switch).

I'm not the kinda person that only affiliates themselves with one company either. That's silly. I have NES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, GameCube, Wii/U, Xbox/360 and PS1/2/3.

Prowler
11-29-2016, 10:46 PM
People outgrow videogames? I play games for at least 2-3 hours a day on weekdays, and probably 5 hours a day on weekends.

I own every Nintendo and Sony console and have 50+ games for nearly all of them. I prefer games over TV shows and movies so I don't really watch as much as I game.
How does that leave you time for cartoons and movies? I guess yor typical dya is work, gaming, a cartoon episode, a movie, eating and sleeping?

Cure
11-29-2016, 10:47 PM
Nah, never happening. I love them too much.

DestronMirage22
11-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Never. Ever. I'll be 80 and I'll still be playing NES and Sega Saturn, saving the mushroom kingdom and kicking ass in Marvel Super Heroes. 'Till the day I die. I can assure that.

Wesley
11-30-2016, 10:05 AM
I still like playing old games every now and then but not as much as I used to. I grew out of modern games a few years ago, as I got tired of sequels and remakes.

TheSkeletonMan939
11-30-2016, 10:32 AM
I grew out of them two or three years ago. Nowadays I only play whenever I have company over.
I'm in agreement with Wesley; I still keep some attention on the world of video games and nothing, absolutely nothing seems interesting to me. It's all sequels and remakes and spin-offs.

Prowler
11-30-2016, 12:09 PM
I grew out of them two or three years ago. Nowadays I only play whenever I have company over.
I'm in agreement with Wesley; I still keep some attention on the world of video games and nothing, absolutely nothing seems interesting to me. It's all sequels and remakes and spin-offs.
That doesn't seem to be exclusive to the video game industry, though. Same seems to happen in the movie industry.

Wesley
11-30-2016, 01:07 PM
That doesn't seem to be exclusive to the video game industry, though. Same seems to happen in the movie industry.

Agreed. The same stuff seems to be happening with the music industry as well.

sdp
11-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Agreed. The same stuff seems to be happening with the music industry as well.

How is this happening to the music industry?

Cryomancer
12-01-2016, 01:00 AM
I haven't but in a lot of ways the industry went places I didn't wanna follow. Things are getting a little better now, kinda, sometimes?

Wesley
12-01-2016, 09:14 AM
How is this happening to the music industry?

It's happening with remasters, reissues and remixes.

Turo602
12-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Nope, never. That would be like outgrowing TV, Movies, or Music. It's a great way to have fun, pass time, or get immersed in amazing worlds and narratives.

Krutch
12-02-2016, 06:55 AM
I think midway through the PS2 cycle was the last time I was heavily into gaming. Since then I've never stopped playing, but playing consistently less and less with each passing year.

Now I just buy games off PSN, and they sit untouched on the hard drive forever lol.

Life Is Strange was probably the last game I can remember getting completely sucked into and played through to completion. Before that, though, it was probably Mass Effect 3. Before that, Mass Effect 2.

I am enjoying my time using PSVR though, so I'm very interested to see where this technology goes from here.

Coola Yagami
12-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Not unless video games themselves stop being made, which seems highly unlikely to happen any time soon.

sdp
12-04-2016, 09:26 PM
It's happening with remasters, reissues and remixes.

It's not comparable however, that's always happened to an extent in the music industry and there's always plenty of music being made all the time in all genres.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-17-2017, 04:37 PM
jesus can you imagine going through your whole life without ever playing A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, SMB3 and SMW?! :o

I had NES and SNES, but played Sega Games at friends in our schoolclass.

Andrew NDB
01-17-2017, 04:51 PM
Outgrowing them no, but probably continuing to have little/no time for them, yes.

Although my friend has got me into this new "Paladins" computer FPS game that's free and a little addictive.

Cure
01-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Paladins is like OverWatch so you might wanna try that out.

CyberCubed
01-17-2017, 06:08 PM
The amount of high quality games and modern classics released just in the last 5-10 years has been staggering. We're literally in the second Golden Age of videogames.

My game collection jumped by about 100 games since the year 2006.

Bry
01-17-2017, 08:02 PM
I feel like video games, like the rest of the things I'm into and have been into for decades, are something I'll never grow out of. The minute I got a Hylian crest tattooed on my arm I had to know I was all in. :lol:

Time is the thing. Working full-time, with marriage, dogs, and making comics and recording podcasts in whatever free time I can scrounge up otherwise, makes for a pretty full schedule. So if I play games, they're usually something quick and accessible like fighting games or Mario Kart with the wife or when friends are over. Realistically, any story-based game that takes 20+ hours to finish is gonna get played for an hour or so and then forgotten about. And I have so many partially-completed games on my "to finish" list already that the idea of starting another one is pretty daunting.

We're collecting more than we're playing, though. Been lucky enough to stumble into a lot of great finds on classic games over the past year. I put together a makeshift game shelf from a couple of shoe shelves and these colourful boxes from the dollar store that holds SNES, Genesis, and N64 cartridges perfectly:

https://s23.postimg.org/lgvctkukb/gameshelf.jpg

ToTheNines
01-17-2017, 08:05 PM
I didn't know you made comics, Bry. Anything online or available for purchase?

Bry
01-17-2017, 08:47 PM
I didn't know you made comics, Bry. Anything online or available for purchase?

I do! It's a webcomic called Welcome to Hereafter (http://www.welcometohereafter.com/) - link here and in my signature. (And I actually self-published a collection of the first "book", but I've yet to figure out an online storefront. :lol: )

And since we're talking games, the classic cartridge collecting kind of triggered me to take apart and clean my original NES recently... pin connector, motherboard, everything. Very cool finally seeing all the guts of the machine that gave me so much fun over the years. It had been green/blue/grey-screening for a while now, but I got it working like new again for the time being, which is pretty impressive for a 30-year-old piece of hardware.

T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
01-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Well I'm 35, been gaming since 1986, and just preordered my Switch on day one. So any day now... LOL!

01-18-2017, 06:25 AM
I miss my videogames

blindturtle02
01-18-2017, 07:57 AM
That's not happening for me, especially with games like Injustice 2 and MVC Infinite on the horizon. Now if only we could get a TMNT fighter with over 40 characters.

Storm Eagle
01-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Outgrowing them no, but probably continuing to have little/no time for them, yes.

That's probably why I don't mind that I only bought six games for the Wii U by the time production on the system ceased.

TheCanadiandrome
01-20-2017, 12:22 AM
As long as I find video games to be fun and I can actually play them then no

My answer exactly. But I'll also add that everyone needs a hobby :lol:

01-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Well I'm 35, been gaming since 1986, and just preordered my Switch on day one. So any day now... LOL!

That's great, I hade videogames like between late-August 1991 and early-March 1996.

TheCanadiandrome
01-20-2017, 03:07 PM
I put together a makeshift game shelf from a couple of shoe shelves and these colourful boxes from the dollar store that holds SNES, Genesis, and N64 cartridges perfectly:

pretty sweet dude

01-20-2017, 03:08 PM
I feel like video games, like the rest of the things I'm into and have been into for decades, are something I'll never grow out of. The minute I got a Hylian crest tattooed on my arm I had to know I was all in. :lol:

Time is the thing. Working full-time, with marriage, dogs, and making comics and recording podcasts in whatever free time I can scrounge up otherwise, makes for a pretty full schedule. So if I play games, they're usually something quick and accessible like fighting games or Mario Kart with the wife or when friends are over. Realistically, any story-based game that takes 20+ hours to finish is gonna get played for an hour or so and then forgotten about. And I have so many partially-completed games on my "to finish" list already that the idea of starting another one is pretty daunting.

We're collecting more than we're playing, though. Been lucky enough to stumble into a lot of great finds on classic games over the past year. I put together a makeshift game shelf from a couple of shoe shelves and these colourful boxes from the dollar store that holds SNES, Genesis, and N64 cartridges perfectly:

I like those figures!

Spike Spiegel
01-20-2017, 08:03 PM
I haven't outgrown them, but I am more selective about what I play and when I play it.

Also, I plan on never getting married or reproducing and I have plenty of stuff I haven't beaten yet.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Also, I plan on never getting married or reproducing and I have plenty of stuff I haven't beaten yet.
Same. Many single people already struggle financially, so I dunno how can they afford having kids :lol:

CyberCubed
01-20-2017, 08:51 PM
I would like having kids one day, and if I have a son I will raise him on Nintendo and TMNT like I was. My future son won't leave the house until he's beaten every Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Pokemon game on all the Nintendo consoles and then all the Sony franchises and others like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil.

Bring them up right.

Shark_Blade
01-20-2017, 08:53 PM
I would like having kids one day, and if I have a son I will raise him on Nintendo and TMNT like I was. My future son won't leave the house until he's beaten every Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Pokemon game on all the Nintendo consoles and then all the Sony franchises and others like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil.

Bring them up right."they won't leave the house until they beaten a bunch of old games"?

Sad.

Prowler
01-20-2017, 09:01 PM
I guess Cubed will lose his kids custody quite soon then :lol:

01-21-2017, 04:14 AM
Ive heard of parents inciting their children into playing sports, but videogames? No.