PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to 2017?

Prowler
12-04-2016, 06:21 PM
That's right. 2016 is already coming to an end. Less than a month away for 2017. Boy did this year go by fast! I barely even noticed it.

I... guess I am looking forward to 2017? I mean what choice do I have? It's gonna come whether we like it or not. :P

As for the current year... it's not over yet but it was kinda meh. Doubt I'll remember much from it years from now. Pretty uneventful year. It wasn't good or bad, it's just been an average year without much to remember.

Autbot_Benz
12-04-2016, 06:30 PM
no in the reason we will have the orange Oompa Loompa von ****stick as our president and his merry band of stooges. other than that bring out the new movies and toys

Prowler
12-04-2016, 06:36 PM
no in the reason we will have the orange Oompa Loompa von ****stick as our president and his merry band of stooges. other than that bring out the new movies and toys
Well 2016 will go down in history for the Donald Trump election(well we'll have to wait some more years to know if his presidency was historical for the best or the worst or not). And while we're no politics, it's the year Brexit happened.

But for better news, I'll always remember this year as the year Portugal won UEFA Euro 2016 8)

IndigoErth
12-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Ehhh... Trump in at the beginning, prob TMNT 2012 out at the end, and who knows what in-between... kind of depressing. Hopefully there will be some good stuff in there, too.

Just realized it'll be my 20th reunion year after high school. Wtf, how? :o Not that there will actually be a reunion. (edit: Just shocked my mother with that news. Now we both get to feel old.)

Prowler
12-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Ehhh... Trump in at the beginning, prob TMNT 2012 out at the end, and who knows what in-between... kind of depressing. Hopefully there will be some good stuff in there, too.

Just realized it'll be my 20th reunion year after high school. Wtf, how? :o Not that there will actually be a reunion.
2018 will mark the 10th anniversary of me graduating. But there won't be a reunion. We don't do those things here. I mean, sometimes former classmates might book a dinner or something but half or more of the people skip/miss it do to work and life in general getting in their way. Not that I'd have any interest in talking to over 90% of the people I met from 9th to 12th grade ever again, anyway.

snake
12-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Can't wait. It's gonna be awesome. And Episode 8 looks promising :tgrin:

Utrommaniac
12-04-2016, 07:09 PM
The only thing I have to look forward to is graduating at the end of the year. So...I'm not really sure what to expect.

Powder
12-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Why, should I be? Are the meteors coming?

Prowler
12-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Why, should I be? Are the meteors coming?
Not that I know of.

Well, you know how big of a deal people make out of New Year's. The calendar resetting and all is a big deal for many.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-04-2016, 07:35 PM
the orange Oompa Loompa von ****stick

Lol, this is the most colorful Trump insult I've heard yet!

DestronMirage22
12-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Yeah, 2017 looks like it's gonna be a good year for me. A good looking Garbage Pail Kids card series, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, amazing new Transformers Generations figures, a new (better) job later in the year, I can't wait for it all! :D

Mzx10484
12-05-2016, 04:30 AM
Put on the "glasses of positivity", I (on my subjective level) remember several nice and memorable days, events, moments, etc... in the last 12 months. I appreciate that very much. Primary, I don't take life-time in terms of annual figures like 2016, 2017 and so on. Time is much more than human time calculation. However, I can not escape this calendarian perception completely.
And in this way of perception, I feel that time flies faster and faster every year. That is one thing. Another thing is, that over the time, my positive point of VIEW grows beyond the negativity. This lightens the time, even in 2017. Looking forward to!

ToTheNines
12-05-2016, 04:38 AM
As long as it gets warm again, I'm all for 2017.

Mzx10484
12-05-2016, 04:50 AM

Global warming will make it ;)

ZariusTwo
12-05-2016, 05:26 AM
I've kind of enjoyed 2016 all things considered.

-Spider-Man's marriage got a resurgence in the mainstream with the launch of the Renew Your Vows ongoing (as opposed to it just being kept active in the newspaper strip)

-A married fatherly Superman became the main version again and Wonder Woman finally got back with Steve Trevor

-Disney had mega hits like Zootopia and The Jungle Book

-Young Justice got renewed

-DC kicked Marvel's ass all year with their Rebirth comics and superior tv shows (only falling short of the mark with their movies)

-Civil War continued the tradition of Captain America movies single handily saving the MCU for me.

-Deadpool was fantastic

-Watching the left-wing media freak out over Trump was highly amusing (and I say that as someone who is a bit left)

-My Pro-Brexit vote helped see David Cameron out the door

-In wrestling, Roman Reigns derailed his whole push for most of the year by violating the WWE's wellness policy, Goldberg came back and got booked properly, AJ Styles became WWE Champion

-Seeing the resurgence of Power Rangers via the movie's progress and the BOOM! comic books

Really, the only sour notes for me were the losses of Bowie, Rickman, Prince, Ronnie Corbett etc, and a close friend of mine moved away to Australia

Hoping 2017 will give me a fantastic Spider-Man movie, more comic book dominance from DC (forcing Marvel to self-reflect and improve their product), and an acceptable Power Rangers movie among other things.

Prowler
12-05-2016, 04:28 PM
2016 was quite a hot year overall, man. This Summer was quite hellish.

CyberCubed
12-05-2016, 05:58 PM
As an adult, you realize every year is practically the same now, only difference is if you have kids to raise. If you don't, every year is almost the same, just what different videogames, movies or TV shows you follow from one year to the next.

After I graduated College every year for me has been practically the same.

ToTheNines
12-05-2016, 06:14 PM
2016 was quite a hot year overall, man. This Summer was quite hellish.

I just hate winter. I don't even want to leave my house from December through March.

Prowler
12-05-2016, 06:15 PM
As an adult, you realize every year is practically the same now, only difference is if you have kids to raise. If you don't, every year is almost the same, just what different videogames, movies or TV shows you follow from one year to the next.

I guess, looking back, school was quite fun after all, eh?

I just hate winter. I don't even want to leave my house from December through March.
I don't mind cold weather as long as it doesn't f*cking rain cats and dogs.

ToTheNines
12-05-2016, 06:17 PM
How cold does it get in Portugal?

Cure
12-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I look forward to every new year.

PApagreg
12-05-2016, 06:52 PM
I've kind of enjoyed 2016 all things considered.

-DC kicked Marvel's ass all year with their Rebirth comics and superior tv shows (only falling short of the mark with their movies)

Are you counting the Netflix shows as for me I'm really looking forward to insomiac's Spiderman game

Prowler
12-05-2016, 06:57 PM
How cold does it get in Portugal?
Well, it depends. We have a reputation for being a warm and sunny country, but oh it's not liek that all the time. Especially not up north and in central parts of the country. Here in the capital city, Lisbon, summers are hot and humid. And winters are cold, humid and rainy as hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Lisbon

I don't know where in the USA you live, but to many people here, I bet 9-10C/48-50F temperatures in the Winter are peanuts. Well to us that's a cold wave and the civil protection and the media warn you to be careful with the cold.

Some areas near the Spanish border, the inner side of the country, have very polarising weather throughout the year. hot as hell summers and cold as hell winters. Like this one per example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castelo_Branco,_Portugal#Climate

I've been told by locals that it's not THAT bad in the Winter due to low humidity(it's far form the ocean), but in Summer it's HELL.

I've never experienced negative temperatures in my country. I believe the lowest I've experienced was precisely 0C/32F up north. Which felt like I was gonna freeze to death. Apparently people in Northern an Eastern Europe wear t-shirts outside when the weather reaches 50F... that sounds crazy to me.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
50 degrees?! Geez that's a breezy spring day here in Texas. Summer is usually upper 90's-100(+) F, and winters are anywhere from low 50's F to the 20's or even teens!

ToTheNines
12-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I'd sell my soul to have winter here hang around 50.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I'd sell my soul to have winter here hang around 50.

I'd trade with you in a heartbeat for summers that hung around 50-degrees. :tlol:

Prowler
12-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Would you guys believe I've never seen snow in my life except in pictures and on TV? I think it snowed like... 3-4 times in my city in the last 100 years or so? I think it snowed a bit in 2006, but I didn't go out that day. And from the pics I saw, it was a joke compared to snow in most Northern and Eastern European countries.

I never got my White Christmas.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Would you guys believe I've never seen snow in my life except in pictures and on TV? I think it snowed like... 3-4 times in my city in the last 100 years or so? I think it snowed a bit in 2006, but I didn't go out that day. And from the pics I saw, it was a joke compared to snow in most Northern and Eastern European countries.

I never got my White Christmas.

Daaaaaaaaaamn. And I thought I had it bad.

I've seen snow three times, maybe? Maaaaaybe four.

CyberCubed
12-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Cold weather sucks. Everyone who thinks they want snow and cold weather....trust me don't believe the romanticized view of it in movies and TV. You don't want snow after the first day. It makes the roads dangerous to drive in, clogs up the sidewalks and makes it slippery, and takes weeks to melt.

New York only has 3-4 months that's decent to walk around at all times of the year. The other 8 months everyone just rushes from outside to their destination because its too cold outside.

Prowler
12-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Daaaaaaaaaamn. And I thought I had it bad.

I've seen snow three times, maybe? Maaaaaybe four.
My mother says I saw snow on a trip to Switzerland back when I as 5-6 years old... but I was so young that I can't remember it at all, so I don't count that.

Cold weather sucks. Everyone who thinks they want snow and cold weather....trust me don't believe the romanticized view of it in movies and TV. You don't want snow after the first day. It makes the roads dangerous to drive in, clogs up the sidewalks and makes it slippery, and takes weeks to melt.

New York only has 3-4 months that's decent to walk around at all times of the year. The other 8 months everyone just rushes from outside to their destination because its too cold outside.
No wonder you guys all want to move to Florida someday.

And yes, I'm aware of that. But I'd like ot have experienced it in a couple of Christmases when I was a kid, you know? Christmas here is just cold and/or rainy.

IndigoErth
12-05-2016, 08:53 PM
I dunno, Florida does have it's own drawback in terms of hurricane risk. Sticking out like a sore thumb as it does. Plus the humidity; granted that tends to be an east cost thing in general, but they prob get more days of it and worse than some parts.

Gotta agree with Cubed on the winter weather. I'd prefer just one big snow for the fun of it, enough to close everything down, and then be done with winter. I hate and have a bit of a fear of snowy, slick, or icy roads.

Worst winter we probably had was my first year of high school... Snowed a bunch, melted a bit, froze up, snowed more on top, melted some, froze up... etc. We had layers of it that eventually turned into thick ice. Fell and broke my glasses coming out of school one of those days and after I got home and dug out the backup pair I went to find my mom and sister out back...and immediately fell and broke that pair too. :ohwell: And had a little bruising along the cheekbone from punching a dent in the ice with my face. Fun times.

We so rarely get a white Christmas here though, not even sure how many I've ever actually seen. More often than not, at best we might just have some old snow left over that isn't looking too fresh. Often we just haven't had any snow yet at all. Although a handful of years ago we got a surprise one when it unexpectedly started snowing that morning....that one was awesome.

I have more memories of the seeing a few show flurries on Thanksgiving than snow on Christmas, go figure.

Prowler
12-05-2016, 09:42 PM
The hottest Summers I remember are 2003 and 2010. 2014 and this year's were also pretty hot. No idea about coldest Winters. I do remember a not os cold Winter. 2011 one. It was pretty much warm from mid-January to early-February in 2011. Sunny days with clear sky in the middle of Winter.

ProactiveMan
12-06-2016, 02:34 AM
Weve had a pretty mild start to Summer here, which is fine. Its warm, but not very hot yet. Loads of bushfires already though, so thats going to get worse as it gets hotter towards the end of the year.

2017 should be interesting Im planning to visit my sister and her kids in the UK at some point. Not sure otherwise.

Icebot
12-06-2016, 04:00 AM
I'm looking forward to 2017, isn't that when the NX (Switch) is coming? I'm looking forward to that.

And from March through December, the days of the week will be on the same dates for the first time since 2006 (Independence Day on a Tuesday, July 29 on a Saturday, Christmas Day on a Monday, etc.). I'm sure 2017 will bring back memories of 2006.

Utrommaniac
12-06-2016, 04:38 AM
I for one hate the summer heat with a passion. I'm relishing in the cold and I love the snow when I get the chance to see it - whether it snows a few inches in Texas, or if I visit somewhere that snows.

I had a white Christmas in 2010 when I visited my dad's family in Ohio, which was fantastic. Even after getting bruised in a snowball fight.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm with you Utie. I hate the heat here because it usually comes with so much humidity. The kind of heat where you look at the thermometer and it says 98F in the SHADE. And you go outside and are dripping sweat after five minutes of just standing outside doing absolutely nothing, much less engaging any activity. And no matter how many clothes you shed it's not enough. You could be in your underwear and it is still too much on. I see people in places like LA complain about rolling blackouts from heat when it is 97F and I have to laugh. We don't even do that when it's 105!!

As for winters, I wish we got actual snowvmore often. Usually it's just cold and rainy. It tends to ice up more than anything, or just blow freezing rain at us that thaws as soon as it hits the ground because the ground doesn't get cold enough for anything to stay frozen. This is why we rarely ever have any snow- it might be snowing outside, but it doesn't stick! And when it does it usually just turns to ice.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-06-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm with you Utie. I hate the heat here because it usually comes with so much humidity. The kind of heat where you look at the thermometer and it says 98F in the SHADE. And you go outside and are dripping sweat after five minutes of just standing outside doing absolutely nothing, much less engaging any activity. And no matter how many clothes you shed it's not enough. You could be in your underwear and it is still too much on. I see people in places like LA complain about rolling blackouts from heat when it is 97F and I have to laugh. We don't even do that when it's 105!!

As for winters, I wish we got actual snowvmore often. Usually it's just cold and rainy. It tends to ice up more than anything, or just blow freezing rain at us that thaws as soon as it hits the ground because the ground doesn't get cold enough for anything to stay frozen. This is why we rarely ever have any snow- it might be snowing outside, but it doesn't stick! And when it does it usually just turns to ice.

I hear ya, fellow Texie. You know the crap we put up with. :tgrin:

FredWolfLeonardo
12-06-2016, 12:01 PM
I hear ya, fellow Texie. You know the crap we put up with. :tgrin:

Texie?! I always got the impression here that you were a classy British gentleman who casually sipped his tea while sitting back and brushing off his ignore list.

ZariusTwo
12-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Are you counting the Netflix shows as for me I'm really looking forward to insomiac's Spiderman game

I haven't really been feeling them this year. The only one I liked was Jessica Jones.

Lisardo
12-08-2016, 02:58 PM

I hear that!

Prowler
12-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Just about 3 hours for New Year's here and also in Ireland and the UK, at least.

It seems lots of people I've talked to disliked this year a lot. But to me it wasn't a year to write much home about.

IndigoErth
12-31-2016, 03:05 PM
Someday I'd like to go back to having years that we aren't glad to see end. Kind of depressing to already know that 2017 likely isn't going to be any start to that.

Prowler
12-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Someday I'd like to go back to having years that we aren't glad to see end. Kind of depressing to already know that 2017 likely isn't going to be any start to that.
Aging? I'm still young(26) but just as I was getting used to the idea of being 25 I turn 26. It was cooler to say "I'm a quarter of a century old"than saying "I'm 26".

This year went by pretty fast... I've been saying this every year since 2009, though.

sdp
12-31-2016, 03:57 PM
I don't think 2017 is going to be a great year in general, we're in for a rough one.

Prowler
12-31-2016, 03:59 PM
I don't think 2017 is going to be a great year in general, we're in for a rough one.
In what sense?

sdp
12-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Economically and politically, the decisions taken this year around the world only paved the way for what's going to happen the next few years and I'm not optimistic.

Prowler
12-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Economically and politically, the decisions taken this year around the world only paved the way for what's going to happen the next few years and I'm not optimistic.
Well if the EU keeps serving the interests of a bunch of politicians instead of Europeans then it might as well dissolve. It was a great project but European federalism? No thanks.

Some of the most affected European countries by the world crisis seem to have been slowly getting out of the rut. So let's see...

Trump? Meh people exaggerate a lot about him, imo.