PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic historical video of how our calendar should be the year 12,000's

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 01:33 AM
czgOWmtGVGs

Instead of celebrating 2017 soon, we should be celebrating the year 12,017 this new years.

Its amazing how humans don't realize how long we've been on this planet and how the modern calendar condenses too much human history.

ToTheNines
12-08-2016, 03:27 AM
Someone summarize it. I don't have time to watch it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-08-2016, 06:54 AM

Cubed.

Summarized enough? :twink:

AT-Man
12-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Yes, I agree.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Its amazing how humans don't realize how long we've been on this planet and how the modern calendar condenses too much human history.

'Cubed, have you ever heard of the 'B.C.' measurement?

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 11:34 AM
I think a lot of people are ignorant because of religion, but I don't want to get into that here. Modern humans have existed for at least 150,000 years, but we didn't start moving out of caveman times until about...15,000 years or so ago.

We may think we're only in the year 2000's....but we're really in the far future, the year 12,000's or even 100,000's depending on how you view it. It feels like we're in the future when you think of it like that.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-08-2016, 11:52 AM
I think a lot of people are ignorant because of religion, but I don't want to get into that here. Modern humans have existed for at least 150,000 years, but we didn't start moving out of caveman times until about...15,000 years or so ago.

We may think we're only in the year 2000's....but we're really in the far future, the year 12,000's or even 100,000's depending on how you view it. It feels like we're in the future when you think of it like that.

Modern humans were not modern 150k years ago.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modern

TheSkeletonMan939
12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
CyberCubed thinks "modern" means 150,000 years ago.

O_O

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 12:02 PM
That is modern humans after we evolved from the common ancestor splintered from apes.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-08-2016, 12:04 PM
That doesn't mean anything of value suddenly started happening. How long ago did humans learn to write? Like 10,000 years ago, if that?

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 12:12 PM
That doesn't mean anything of value suddenly started happening. How long ago did humans learn to write? Like 10,000 years ago, if that?

In that video they said the first temple was erected 12,000 years ago. Society had already begun around then, so let's say 15,000 years ago is when we stopped being cavemen and actually started farming and having culture.

plastroncafe
12-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Cubed is teaching anthropology?
Oh this should be good.

Candy Kappa
12-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Modern humans were not modern 150k years ago.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modern

The Anatomical Modern Man (Homo Sapiens Sapiens) came to be around 200k years ago, though. I think that's Cubed refer to in that instance.

That said, I don't see a good reason to change the calendar. It's not the only one just the most used one and it's a nice number, plus BCE/EC works fine over BC/AD

TheSkeletonMan939
12-08-2016, 12:34 PM
BCE/EC works fine over BC/AD

How? It's the exact same thing, except almost no one uses CE.

plastroncafe
12-08-2016, 12:40 PM
BCE/CE were in common usage during my undergraduate studies of anthropology/archaeology.

The Gregorian Calendar might be the most widely used calendar, but it's not the only one.
Both Judaism and Islam have their own calendars.

And let's be honest....the Gregorian Calendar is hardly efficient. I mean...leap years. What the hell.
Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100, but these centurial years are leap years if they are exactly divisible by 400. For example, the years 1700, 1800, and 1900 are not leap years, but the years 1600 and 2000 are.[6]

(also as a side note:
binomial nomenclature should only have the Genus name capitalized, species is lowercase...and it should be in italics.

Homo sapiens sapiens)

TheSkeletonMan939
12-08-2016, 12:47 PM
If you're trying to scrub away references to Christianity in the calendar you might as well just follow Cubed's flawless idea. Because the "current era" still starts with the birth of Jesus.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-08-2016, 12:48 PM
The Anatomical Modern Man (Homo Sapiens Sapiens) came to be around 200k years ago, though. I think that's Cubed refer to in that instance.

That said, I don't see a good reason to change the calendar. It's not the only one just the most used one and it's a nice number, plus BCE/EC works fine over BC/AD

You're killing me, CK. You're defending Cubed!? When you could be on my side of an argument instead!!!??? :tlol:

Candy Kappa
12-08-2016, 12:59 PM
If you're trying to scrub away references to Christianity in the calendar you might as well just follow Cubed's flawless idea. Because the "current era" still starts with the birth of Jesus.

Eeeeeh... Maybe. but, the calendar is wrong there as well, as the mythical Jesus was probably born sometime between 6-4 BC (he was born while Herod was still alive, and that guy died 4 BC)

You're killing me, CK. You're defending Cubed!? When you could be on my side of an argument instead!!!??? :tlol:

I feel bad.

(also as a side note:
binomial nomenclature should only have the Genus name capitalized, species is lowercase...and it should be in italics.

Homo sapiens sapiens)

Now I feel worse, should had remembered that.

plastroncafe
12-08-2016, 12:59 PM

Common, not Current.
I dunno...I prefer them, because AD translates to "year of our lord" and I'm not Christian.

Besides, this is what happens when religious folk force everyone into their habits: we make them our own.

Candy Kappa
12-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Christians appropriated Yule, now we appropriate their calendar, we give and take, endless glorious circle of appropriating. :lol:

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Its just weird to me the entire world accepted a calendar where we're only in the 2,000's. Meanwhile the Jewish calendar is in the year 5,000 from what I read.

Meanwhile we're really in the year 12,000. Or even 100,000-200,000 if you count "Year 1" as when humans existed.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 02:57 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

I remember that time Cubed said that.

Its just weird to me the entire world accepted a calendar where we're only in the 2,000's. Meanwhile the Jewish calendar is in the year 5,000 from what I read.

Meanwhile we're really in the year 12,000. Or even 100,000-200,000 if you count "Year 1" as when humans existed.
So you're saying you don't accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, HUH?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-08-2016, 03:00 PM

I think the Jewish calendar is actually on year 6000. But I could be wrong on that... I eat bacon, after all.

And do we really want to track the 5000 years of Neanderthal history where some hairy schmuck couldn't even figure out the wheel? Buncha stupid man-apes.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:02 PM
I think the Jewish calendar is actually on year 6000. But I could be wrong on that... I eat bacon, after all.

And do we really want to track the 5000 years of Neanderthal history where some hairy schmuck couldn't even figure out the wheel? Buncha stupid man-apes.
I remember Calvin on a strip saying USA was founded on a b.C: year, which led his teacher to ask him "b.C?!" and him saying "before Calvin".

plastroncafe
12-08-2016, 03:05 PM
The Hebrew calendar has this year listed as 5777, while the Hijiri/Islamic calendar is year 1438.

Or so says the internet.

When it comes to calendars, I've always been rather partial to this:
"Current theories on the creation of the Universe state that, if it was created at all and didn't just start, as it were, unofficially, it came into being between ten and twenty thousand million years ago. By the same token the earth itself is generally supposed to be about four and a half thousand million years old.
These dates are incorrect.
Medieval Jewish scholars put the date of the Creation at 3760 B.C. Greek Orthodox theologians put Creation as far back as 5508 B.C.
These suggestions are also incorrect.
Archbishop James Usher (1580-1656) published Annales Veteris et Novi Testamenti in 1654, which suggested that the Heaven and the Earth were created in 4004 B.C. One of his aides took the calculation further, and was able to announce triumphantly that the Earth was created on Sunday the 21th of October, 4004 B.C., at exactly 9:00 A.M., because God liked to get work done early in the morning while he was feeling fresh.
This too was incorrect. By almost a quarter of an hour."

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:05 PM
The Hebrew calendar has this year listed as 5777, while the Hijiri/Islamic calendar is year 1438.

Or so says the internet.
DO we have any Jews or Muslims in this forum? We must know this.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-08-2016, 03:06 PM
I remember Calvin on a strip saying USA was founded on a b.C: year, which led his teacher to ask him "b.C?!" and him saying "before Calvin".
:lol:

http://i.imgur.com/aCn2vPo.gif

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-08-2016, 03:10 PM
:lol:

http://i.imgur.com/aCn2vPo.gif

Yes yes yes. You are both officially awarded the Cylons Ruby Star of Excellence for your knowledge and love of Calvin & Hobbes. Wear your badges proudly.

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 03:13 PM
DO we have any Jews or Muslims in this forum? We must know this.

Yes, but it doesn't mean Jewish people know anything about the Jewish calendar if they don't practice the religion heavily.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Yes, but it doesn't mean Jewish people know anything about the Jewish calendar if they don't practice the religion heavily.
True, but they're statistically more likely to know about it than you and I do.

plastroncafe
12-08-2016, 03:19 PM

One need not practice the religion to know what year it is.
One need only be culturally away.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:20 PM
One need not practice the religion to know what year it is.
One need only be culturally away.
Yeah CyrberCubed, you're a f*cking New Yorker. You must have Jewish friends and acquaintances, right? :lol:

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 03:23 PM
True, but they're statistically more likely to know about it than you and I do.

I don't know anything about the Jewish calendar but I'm well aware what its like to be Jewish.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:25 PM
I don't know anything about the Jewish calendar but I'm well aware what its like to be Jewish.
Well, considering most Jews who lived in my country were pogrommed by the Inquisition and such hundreds of year ago, I don't know a single one. There's probably less than a thousand Jews in my entire country.

So, do most Jewish Americans not care much about their religion nowadays? Even less than Christian ones?

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 03:27 PM
So you're saying you don't accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, HUH?

Nope.

So, do most Jewish Americans not care much about their religion nowadays? Even less than Christian ones?

There are a lot of religious Jews in New York, or rather Queens where I live. Many of them are also Russian.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Nope.

There are a lot of religious Jews in New York, or rather Queens where I live. Many of them are also Russian.
As in Orthodox Jews' The ones with the cool hats?

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 03:33 PM
As in Orthodox Jews' The ones with the cool hats?

Yes, I see them go to temple every Saturday. There's also a lot of Jewish areas/temples around my area.

I mean I've never gone inside a Jewish temple since I was like..13, but what do I know.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes, I see them go to temple every Saturday. There's also a lot of Jewish areas/temples around my area.

I mean I've never gone inside a Jewish temple since I was like..13, but what do I know.
I visited a Synagogue once. I was a kid, so they let me keep my sports cap on, since you gotta cover your head inside one.

CyberCubed
12-08-2016, 03:54 PM
I've worn a yamaka a few times, also had to wear it to weddings of some my distance relatives. I don't think I've worn one since I was a young teen. Its really weird to be part of a family that doesn't practice the religion heavily.

My family has never celebrated Christmas, but I do like the pretty lights.

Prowler
12-08-2016, 03:57 PM
I've worn a yamaka a few times, also had to wear it to weddings of some my distance relatives. I don't think I've worn one since I was a young teen. Its really weird to be part of a family that doesn't practice the religion heavily.

My family has never celebrated Christmas, but I do like the pretty lights.
So you're part Jewish, eh? Is it true what they say about you guys controlling everything? :tgrin:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
12-08-2016, 04:32 PM
I've heard of it before, and think this calendar should be introduced. Not for bashing Christianity (Christian calculation of years is still within the Holocene calendar), but for giving a wider international view on world history.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-08-2016, 05:30 PM
So you're part Jewish, eh? Is it true what they say about you guys controlling everything? :tgrin:

Doubt it, since Cubed can't even control his big fat mouth. Look at his post count, geez!

snake
12-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Doubt it, since Cubed can't even control his big fat mouth. Look at his post count, geez!

Diverting the question, THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING A WORLD-CONTROLLING JEWTILLIAN WOULD DO!

MsMarvelDuckie
12-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Cubed part Jewish? Who knew?! I visited a Synagogue once, for the funeral service of the brother of a friend of mine. Probably the only time in my life I ever actually paid full attention to the sermon. Which is funny since I couldn't understand half of it.

Candy Kappa
12-09-2016, 03:34 AM
I thought we had a synagogue in our city, since a building close to the art school I used to attend had a David star on it, but apparently not.

We have a mosque somewhere, but I think it's just a rented regular building since this city is Bible Belt Extremis, and for other faiths to make funds to build their own temple is pretty difficult and a long term goal, and people like to put pig's head painted red at the front step of the make-shift mosque, so there's that.

I've just been in Christian churches, the pretties one was a Stave Church made by the early-Christian Norse, so lots of beautiful wood carvings. I've also been in the Matthias church in Budapest, was very... Rich looking :lol: My partner had to cover her shoulders to enter, was hilarious.

12-09-2016, 05:55 AM
this city is Bible Belt Extremis

Which? Oslo?

Candy Kappa
12-09-2016, 06:30 AM
Which? Oslo?

more south, Kristiansand.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-09-2016, 09:37 AM
I've just been in Christian churches, the pretties one was a Stave Church made by the early-Christian Norse, so lots of beautiful wood carvings. I've also been in the Matthias church in Budapest, was very... Rich looking :lol: My partner had to cover her shoulders to enter, was hilarious.

You shoulder-baring pagan.

Candy Kappa
12-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I've heard that Catholics can be prudes, but seeing it live in the middle of the summer, temperatures so warm I nearly had a heat stroke... Was interesting. :lol:

CyberCubed
12-09-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm not a fan of religion, neither were my parents. We celebrate the general holidays, but other than that don't do anything major. Its more of a, "get the family together and eat lots of food" during the holidays too rather than any celebration of religion.

Prowler
12-09-2016, 10:56 PM
You know who I find creepy? Mormons. Sometimes I see them. They're usually American or Brazilian. DO they always dress in those weird t-shirts? And the way they smile at you and speak to you in a funny accent... no one cares about them though :lol:

Also, do you guys have Jeovah Witnesses? They're usually old people who knock on your door early in the morning asking "Do you wish to talk about God?". But haven't had that happen to me in years.

CyberCubed
12-09-2016, 11:12 PM
The best thing about being a white male is nobody can guess your religion just by looking at you. I have no distinguishing features of any particular race, so nobody knows where I'm from or what religion I am. I speak like a New Yorker but that's where I live.

I like being ambiguous in the outside world. I can't be racial profiled. Its great that nobody knows who or what you are.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-09-2016, 11:58 PM
You know who I find creepy? Mormons. Sometimes I see them. They're usually American or Brazilian. DO they always dress in those weird t-shirts? And the way they smile at you and speak to you in a funny accent... no one cares about them though :lol:

Also, do you guys have Jeovah Witnesses? They're usually old people who knock on your door early in the morning asking "Do you wish to talk about God?". But haven't had that happen to me in years.

I have a soft spot for both of them, they are genuinely some of the nicest people I've met and one of my closest friends was Mormon.

I never got why some people ever got annoyed by them, even if they want to evangelize, you can't help but admire their attitude and passion.

Prowler
12-10-2016, 12:23 AM
The best thing about being a white male is nobody can guess your religion just by looking at you. I have no distinguishing features of any particular race, so nobody knows where I'm from or what religion I am. I speak like a New Yorker but that's where I live.

I like being ambiguous in the outside world. I can't be racial profiled. Its great that nobody knows who or what you are.
Pretty sure most White people are either Christian or Jewish. If they have a religion, that is. So I dunno where you getting at lol

I have a soft spot for both of them, they are genuinely some of the nicest people I've met and one of my closest friends was Mormon.

I never got why some people ever got annoyed by them, even if they want to evangelize, you can't help but admire their attitude and passion.
Jeovahs are polite, yes. I'll give you that. Apparently that didn't get them on Hitler's good side, though.

Candy Kappa
12-10-2016, 04:29 AM
You know who I find creepy? Mormons.

My grandmother's sister who lives in USA is a Mormon, she's a.... interesting individual, the whole side of that part of the family is... interesting.

We have plenty of them, and they make their rounds where I live. My partner had them over for chatting and debating for a while since she's out of a job and was bored, but eventually she asked them to don't come over anymore as they where pretty one track minded.

Personally I'm not a fan of Jehovah Witnesses, I find their in-cult practice questionable as they protect pedophiles from the authorities. It was a pretty big reveal about it a couple of years back, how extensive it was and how they dealt with it internally within the group instead of reporting it to the police.

ToTheNines
12-10-2016, 04:35 AM
I'm a typical religion-hating grump, but I love Mormons. There's a couple of turds, but they're generally really nice, educated, and understanding of those from different walks of life.

Prowler
12-10-2016, 04:45 AM
I'm a typical religion-hating grump, but I love Mormons. There's a couple of turds, but they're generally really nice, educated, and understanding of those from different walks of life.
Now I feel a bit bad. But I dunno, they seem to be constantly smiling. As if they're always in a good mood. Then again, I'm a sad soul, so I guess I assume everyone who seems to be constantly in a good mood is either high or drunk.

CyberCubed
12-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Overly religious people of any kind can be annoying. I just can't imagine living my life by a set rules of religion decided by people thousands of years ago.

plastroncafe
12-10-2016, 12:37 PM
And now we've come full circle back to the Gregorian Calendar.

Well played everyone.
Good job.

CyberCubed
12-10-2016, 05:49 PM
I actually prefer ancient history over modern stuff from like 1500+ to now. Its hard to believe there's like 150,000 years of human history BC that people just condense into "cave men times" and just leave it at that.

I mean that's literally 150,000 years. Insane that our history isn't thought of much BC aside from a few years. Who invented the wheel? Who invented the use of fire? Who was the first human to bring down a wooly mammoth?

We will never know their names in the history books.

sdp
12-10-2016, 08:49 PM
The 12016 calendar idea is stupid in the concept itself since how do we define when humanity "started", the 10,000 is just an estimate as well based on some evidence that can be proven incorrect at any moment. We can also say it's around 10,000 years ago but we can't be exact. The whole B.C. thing works, we can change the name to "Before counted days" or whatever.

When did we start counting days and how far back can we go with accurate records of days being counted, now that could be a good place to have a "day" 1 and count from there, we can change the format of what a "year" is as well. Leap years aren't that big of an annoyance just kind of weird. But yeah if we ever change it we need to change it to something that we can verify that from that point on we can really know for sure that every day is accounted for.

I don't see anything like that ever happening since people don't do change well, there's a reason the metric system isn't used in the US. Would you really think the rest of the world would switch to another measuring system that was better than the metric in this point of time? Businesses rely entirely to the current calendar for it to ever even be considered for change.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-10-2016, 09:00 PM
CC should write a book: "The World According to CyberCubed". Resetting the calendar would be just one of many, many incredible notions to be found in it.

Hell, maybe we can write it for him. Someone should be keeping an archive of his more outrageous posts; some of them are just too good to be forgotten.

Prowler
12-11-2016, 01:18 AM
I actually prefer ancient history over modern stuff from like 1500+ to now. Its hard to believe there's like 150,000 years of human history BC that people just condense into "cave men times" and just leave it at that.

I mean that's literally 150,000 years. Insane that our history isn't thought of much BC aside from a few years. Who invented the wheel? Who invented the use of fire? Who was the first human to bring down a wooly mammoth?

We will never know their names in the history books.
Ancient civilisations were pretty cool, I'd have to agree. I have a thing for History before organised religion, for some reason. I like learning about Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, etc.

The 12016 calendar idea is stupid in the concept itself since how do we define when humanity "started", the 10,000 is just an estimate as well based on some evidence that can be proven incorrect at any moment. We can also say it's around 10,000 years ago but we can't be exact. The whole B.C. thing works, we can change the name to "Before counted days" or whatever.

When did we start counting days and how far back can we go with accurate records of days being counted, now that could be a good place to have a "day" 1 and count from there, we can change the format of what a "year" is as well. Leap years aren't that big of an annoyance just kind of weird. But yeah if we ever change it we need to change it to something that we can verify that from that point on we can really know for sure that every day is accounted for.

I don't see anything like that ever happening since people don't do change well, there's a reason the metric system isn't used in the US. Would you really think the rest of the world would switch to another measuring system that was better than the metric in this point of time? Businesses rely entirely to the current calendar for it to ever even be considered for change.

I don't like the imperial system at all. I can understand arguments for it when it comes to being more accurate at measuring temperature and weight, but it's terrible for height/size. If someone says they're 5'10 tall... that means they're between 178cm-180cm. I can't really be sure, unlike in the metric system. When someone says they're 6'0, I never know if they're the exact same height as I am or maybe very slightly taller/shorter.

CC should write a book: "The World According to CyberCubed". Resetting the calendar would be just one of many, many incredible notions to be found in it.

Hell, maybe we can write it for him. Someone should be keeping an archive of his more outrageous posts; some of them are just too good to be forgotten.

I'd totally read that book. In fact, someone should one day archive every single post of every account CyberCubed has made in every internet forum he's been a member of. That'd be awesome.

CyberCubed
12-11-2016, 02:05 AM
I'd totally read that book. In fact, someone should one day archive every single post of every account CyberCubed has made in every internet forum he's been a member of. That'd be awesome.

That would be quite a feat. On IGN I had over 100,000 posts on my old account from 2000, and 12,000 on my current.

And that's just one place. Let alone the countless other forums I've been on over the last 15 years or so.

ProactiveMan
12-11-2016, 11:32 PM
How ‘bout this… who cares!? All we’re doing is keeping track of how many times the planet has orbited the sun, and how many rotations of the planet we can count within that period.

As for year zero; that is way, way to political to happen in our lifetime. No one will ever agree, and I don’t think we have a complete enough picture of the past to confidently make a call on significant milestones in human development as they relate to time.

Time isn’t really that important anyway.

CyberCubed
12-12-2016, 01:39 AM
Time isn’t really that important anyway.

Time literally defines existence and all of life. I'd say its very important.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-12-2016, 03:31 AM
Time literally defines existence and all of life. I'd say its very important.

"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." - Albert Einstein

ToTheNines
12-12-2016, 03:42 AM
Here's a trailer for a really good documentary you'd be interested in, cubed.

4H_Eepvg3aU

CyberCubed
12-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I've seen that movie before, lol.

12-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Just don't open the door if you aren't interested.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-20-2016, 11:42 AM
It's a door, not a window.