PDA

View Full Version : TMNT #65 Preview & Discussion

ChosenOne
12-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Preview here (http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-65/1100-156257/).

neatoman
12-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Ok, let's count the references here:

Street Fighter V
Mario
PS4 controllers
NY Knicks Jersey
Akira Manga
Locke & Key
Godzilla comics
MLP comics
San Diego Zoo (when did they have time to go there?)
And the most meta thing on this page, the issue of TMNT it's taken from.

The rest of it I'm not sure about.

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/0/40/5580375-3+tmnt_65-pr-3.jpg

2K3
12-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Aww, Leo's face says it all! He looks like he's about to say "This is gonna end in tears, I just know it"

Why do I get a feeling that's Slash watching Raph and Casey? Hopefully he won't be a problem... hopefully.

Plus loving Pepperoni, IDW's answer to Klunk and Ice Cream Kitty (though she's more Raph's pet than Mikey's this time round)

Sabacooza
12-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Looks like it'll be a fun issue. I love Santolouco's work.

ToTheNines
12-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Aww, Leo's face says it all! He looks like he's about to say "This is gonna end in tears, I just know it"

Why do I get a feeling that's Slash watching Raph and Casey? Hopefully he won't be a problem... hopefully.

Plus loving Pepperoni, IDW's answer to Klunk and Ice Cream Kitty (though she's more Raph's pet than Mikey's this time round)

It looked more like Koya to me.

CyberCubed
12-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Damn, THAT ART! Its beautiful. Everytime the artist changes I forgot how much I love his work.

I imagine the guests will be:

April (and maybe her parents?)
Casey
Angel
Woody
Harold/Libby (if they somehow convince him to come)
Slash (I think that's the guy in the shadows, if any of the Mutanimals show up it'll be him)

I also get the feeling Splinter will show up unexpectingly.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-10-2016, 01:06 PM
This should be just fun, nothing but straight-up wholesome fun. It'll make a nice break before plunging back into the Bishop/mutant conflict. :tgrin:

CyberCubed
12-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Yeah, Slash is on the cover of the next issue, so I guess the person in the shadows probably is him. Slash is close to Michelangelo too so it makes sense.

DestronMirage22
12-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Lovin' the art, as always. This'll be a fun little "breather issue" to read. :)

2K3
12-10-2016, 03:33 PM
It looked more like Koya to me.

Huh, now you mention it, I can see the resemblance. Been wondering where she and her "brother"-in-arms; Bludgeon, have been for a while.

corvus
12-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Huh, now you mention it, I can see the resemblance. Been wondering where she and her "brother"-in-arms; Bludgeon, have been for a while.

They haven't shown up in awhile but I assumed they were working for the foot despite the leadership.

MikeandRaph87
12-10-2016, 03:53 PM
They haven't shown up in awhile but I assumed they were working for the foot despite the leadership.

Slash is going to be featured in #67-#70 so it would make sense that the peering eyes belong to Slash.

Yes,Koya and Bludgeon are overdue but they are with Karai in Japan and will be featured to some extent in the next several months.

corvus
12-10-2016, 05:16 PM
When did we find out they were with karai?

CyberCubed
12-10-2016, 05:24 PM
When did we find out they were with karai?

In issue #51, we see a brief flashback image of Karai/Koya/Bludgeon and Splinter says they went to Japan.

Karai hasn't appeared in over 15+ issues so its easy to forget where she and Koya/Bludgeon went. Apparently they're going to be in a Universe issue sometime next year.

Toby Barrett
12-10-2016, 06:47 PM
I've been out of the loop for some time now, why exactly do the turtles not wear knee and elbow pads, or athletic tape or anything like that anymore?
All expect for Donnie, I don't even know what the hell he's wearing, ha!
At least Mikey doesn't have buck teeth anymore.

Utrommaniac
12-10-2016, 08:29 PM
They probably got the San Diego Zoo cup from April's store. It was likely just lying around somewhere and they liked it.

Nice to know IDW exists in this world xD

PApagreg
12-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Leo looks weirdly Asian in this issue

http://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/0/40/5580376-4+tmnt_65-pr-4.jpg

***First of Two Latin Kings***
12-10-2016, 09:39 PM
What happened to Rocksteady and Bebop?

MikeandRaph87
12-10-2016, 10:05 PM

After Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything which chronology-wise fits in between TMNT#64 and TMNTU#4, they are in South America.

CyberCubed
12-10-2016, 10:34 PM

They're on a road trip headed back to New York.

Harukuro
12-11-2016, 03:12 PM

How can he be "weirdly Asian" when he's freaking Japanese in this 'verse? :x You've got some serious issues. :tgrumble:

As for the issue itself I'm really surprised that Mikey's even inviting the Mutanimals considering the last time they were together it was...terrible to say the least. Maybe he invited the members he got along with like Mondo Gecko, Sally Pride, and Pigeon Pete and ignored everyone else (especially Old Hob).

I'd like to think the figure in the shadow is Slash, because I'll admit he's one of my favourite characters in the comic and I'm happy he's coming back again, but at the same time I'm wondering what he's doing back in New York already. Like I said before, a few months (in-story) seems to be a short time to find yourself. Well I suppose I'll be getting my answers soon since he will be an important figure in the upcoming arc along with the other Mutanimals.

Overall I'm excited for this issue; we need some positive moments after the immense amount of drama the turtles have encountered this year, and what they are going to experience in the next.

Allio
12-11-2016, 10:27 PM
to be fair, there is no confirmation that the "turtle" is Asian. like his soul is "human" but his body isn't.

PApagreg
12-11-2016, 10:47 PM
How can he be "weirdly Asian" when he's freaking Japanese in this 'verse? :x You've got some serious issues. :tgrumble:

1. His past life was Japanese his current life isn't, hell by that logic Leo is technically human in this verse.

2. If that were the case then how come Leo is the only one who has Asian features, Donnie and Raph don't seem to have them and Mikey certainly doesn't have them.

3. So because I said Leo looked "weirdly asian" it means I need serious psychological help, f%^k off.

turtlefan27
12-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Anyone else notice a copy of this issue laying off to the left hand side when mike is standing on the table? I thought that was cool.

DestronMirage22
12-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Anyone else notice a copy of this issue laying off to the left hand side when mike is standing on the table? I thought that was cool.

Yeah, was one of the first things I noticed. Cool little bit of metaphysical humor. :lol:

DestronMirage22
12-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Going by the head-shape, and these pics from Santolouco's tumblr, I'm gonna guess Pete's the guy in the shadows. http://66.media.tumblr.com/70d6579aff3d24105b151a18952f7eb6/tumblr_of7ey0sR1b1rwxz28o1_1280.jpghttp://68.media.tumblr.com/2c4fa5020ad5bca63abfc3cad89dc50c/tumblr_ofrwjuwhbt1rwxz28o1_1280.jpg

ToTheNines
12-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Going by the head-shape, and these pics from Santolouco's tumblr, I'm gonna guess Pete's the guy in the shadows. http://66.media.tumblr.com/70d6579aff3d24105b151a18952f7eb6/tumblr_of7ey0sR1b1rwxz28o1_1280.jpghttp://68.media.tumblr.com/2c4fa5020ad5bca63abfc3cad89dc50c/tumblr_ofrwjuwhbt1rwxz28o1_1280.jpg

That makes the most sense, to me.

Maybe he's on Seymore's shoulders, and that's why his silhouette looks so big.

DestronMirage22
12-12-2016, 07:48 AM
That makes the most sense, to me.

Maybe he's on Seymore's shoulders, and that's why his silhouette looks so big.

Probably just Santolouco drawing him that way on purpose, trying to throw us off, makeing us think it's Koya.

ProphetofGanja
12-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Probably just Santolouco drawing him that way on purpose, trying to throw us off, makeing us think it's Koya.

I can definitely see that

I have a feeling this party is going to get way out of hand

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 09:26 AM
I knew the ending would be what it was. :tgrin: Happy to have been proven right.

And yay, Mutanimals!!! Just a sweet fun one-shot. Disappointed Scrooge remained a Scrooge, though.

Oh, and Woody was just a delight throughout the entire issue. :tlol:

neatoman
12-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Will Hob contract more crabs?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Will Hob contract more crabs?

"Um. Ew."

ChosenOne
12-14-2016, 09:48 AM
What a great issue! Loved the final scene, as well as the progression of the party itself! :)

neatoman
12-14-2016, 09:48 AM
"Um. Ew."

Hey, don't dismiss crabs, they'll stick with you no matter what!;)

MikeandRaph87
12-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks for continuing the idea of spoilers for the first 24 hours, it will be several hours before I get to take a look at my copy. The only thing I want to know is does it progress the plot any towards round two with Agent Bishop and finding Alopex?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks for continuing the idea of spoilers for the first 24 hours, it will be several hours before I get to take a look at my copy. The only thing I want to know is does it progress the plot any towards round two with Agent Bishop and finding Alopex?

Alopex is not mentioned; Bishop is seen to still be hunting for the mutants.

We also get to see each of the four Turtles' bedrooms... that had to be so much fun to draw. :tgrin:

neatoman
12-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Well, to be honest I'm not sure spoiler tags are that needed for this issue. To answer your question:

I don't think Alopex is mentioned at all and, while he does appear, Bishop is just part of a joke towards the end. The issue is less about story and more about character interaction.

I'll happily put that in spoilers, it does have some highlights.

You get to see how many of the characters interact with eachother in a large crowd. Woody develops a crush on Angel, Slash tries to act friendly towards Woody, Pete annoying everyone, even Spliter shows up to give Mike new nunchucks.

myconius
12-14-2016, 10:33 AM
What a great issue! Loved the final scene, as well as the progression of the party itself! :)

yeah this really was an amazing issue!
that epilog was very powerful! started getting a bit difficult to read through the 'misty-eyes'. :lol:

Chaotix12345
12-14-2016, 10:37 AM
This issue was just adorable in all senses of the word. Really put me into the Holiday spirit.

Loved Slash and Mikey's reunion as well as just how pleased-as-punch he seemed during the whole time. After the drama with Hob, it's great to see the big guy so happy to be among friends. (He might've been the only one smiling the whole time. XD)

Also, that ending may or may not have been so cute that I started to slightly tear up.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 10:41 AM
I found it very curious that a certain someone didn't show up with all the other mutants...

myconius
12-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Also, that ending may or may not have been so cute that I started to slightly tear up.

you and me BOTH! :lol:

ProphetofGanja
12-14-2016, 10:58 AM
That was everything I wanted and some things I didn't even know I wanted til I saw them! I'm so glad the Turtles and friends finally got some real downtime, without anyone stirring up trouble

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 11:05 AM
That was everything I wanted and some things I didn't even know I wanted til I saw them! I'm so glad the Turtles and friends finally got some real downtime, without anyone stirring up trouble

Hey, NOBODY wanted worm goulash.

Redeemer
12-14-2016, 12:35 PM
This was the best issue in along time imo. Even if it was just a one shot. This issue reminded me a lot of the Mirage Leonardo One Shot as in a storm is coming.
I loved Casey yelling at the Purple Dragons to quite down and he was the one who stole the Cool Ranch chips.
Also Woody hitting on Angel made me laugh so hard.

I have been griping about the drawing style being used in previous issues, but I feel it was perfect for this issue.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 12:39 PM
This was the best issue in along time imo. Even if it was just a one shot. This issue reminded me a lot of the Mirage Leonardo One Shot as in a storm is coming.
I loved Casey yelling at the Purple Dragons to quite down and he was the one who stole the Cool Ranch chips.
Also Woody hitting on Angel made me laugh so hard.

I have been griping about the drawing style being used in previous issues, but I feel it was perfect for this issue.

Oh man, I didn't even make the connection with the Cool Ranch chips. :tlol:

ProphetofGanja
12-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Oh man, I didn't even make the connection with the Cool Ranch chips. :tlol:

Yeah, that was pretty funny. All of the character interactions were great. Seeing Herman spike the Mutanimals' eggnog and getting tipsy was hilarious, and Donnie getting super into the Christmas lights was fun as well

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Yeah, that was pretty funny. All of the character interactions were great. Seeing Herman spike the Mutanimals' eggnog and getting tipsy was hilarious, and Donnie getting super into the Christmas lights was fun as well

I think the bedrooms were my favorite. Raph with Wolverine posters and figures was hilarious. :tlol:

Technogeek29
12-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Hey, NOBODY wanted worm goulash.

If Sally is right about Pete's singing, the Goulash would've been more preferable :lol:

highlight's
-Leo is technically Scrooge and three events change his attitude towards the end of the issue

-I love it is technically Donnie's fault the party was blown to several people

-Raph actually seems to enjoy the Mutanimals company specifically Mondo who can't hold his liquor.

-Casey is technically the one who stole the chips causing the brawl between the Dragons.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Everyone would get along just fine with the Mutanimals if it weren't for Hob. He's the reason there is usually tension between the two mutant families.

Technogeek29
12-14-2016, 01:43 PM
So it just occured to me upon a second reading, Mikey made that Eggnog from Scratch... He can't scramble eggs but he can make Eggnog? :lol:

neatoman
12-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Which reminds me, did Mike know eggnog is an alcoholic drink?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 01:52 PM
So it just occured to me upon a second reading, Mikey made that Eggnog from Scratch... He can't scramble eggs but he can make Eggnog? :lol:

Yeah, I'm shocked anyone dared drink it... :tlol:

Which reminds me, did Mike know eggnog is an alcoholic drink?

It's not always; there is plenty of non-alcoholic eggnog available at the grocery stores.

neatoman
12-14-2016, 01:58 PM

It's not always; there is plenty of non-alcoholic eggnog available at the grocery stores.

Eggnog isn't that popular here, I just assumed it always had alcohol in it. On the other hand, why would you want to drink it without alcohol? Wouldn't it basically just be omelette batter with sugar in it? Sounds gross.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Eggnog isn't that popular here, I just assumed it always had alcohol in it. On the other hand, why would you want to drink it without alcohol? Wouldn't it basically just be omelette batter with sugar in it? Sounds gross.

It's good stuff, man. Vanilla, nutmeg, egg whites (you don't use the yolks), and some other stuff I don't remember... we make our own, and need to get crackin' this year.

And bourbon, of course. For the adult punch bowl. :trazz:

CyberCubed
12-14-2016, 02:03 PM
This was a very nice issue, but I'm also surprised people are overlooking how this advanced some characters interactions/relationships:

- Harold and Libby are apparently back together. And we also know she's fine from the attack in the previous issue.

- Casey and April seem to be getting back together. Its easy to forget they split up for a bit.

- Woody receives his most characterisation ever beyond being the "pizza delivery guy" and develops a crush on Angel

- April and Lindsey also bond again, its easy to forget they worked at Stocktronics together as co-workers.

- Slash and the other Mutanimals still get along, so its only Hob he doesn't like. Also nearly completely forgot Slash attacked Woody back in the first year.

- And of course the ending with Splinter showing up delivering gifts, proof he still loves his sons as much as ever.

Its too bad they couldn't squeeze the Alopex issue in before the end of the year, she was the only major character missing for this Christmas party. But of course this issue had to come out in December. Would have also been nice to see Fugitoid invited too.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Woody was my favorite character in this. Crushing on Angel like mad... :tlol:

And Slash doesn't DISLIKE Hob; he still counts him as a friend. I quote "Please understand you are truly my friend." He just needs to figure things out for himself, because he has a more idealized vision of being a hero, whereas Hob is a less-noble antihero.

CyberCubed
12-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Hm, just realized April's parents didn't show up. I guess they would have been scared of all the mutants though. :lol:

Are there any other characters missing? I'm trying to think of all the Turtles notable friends over the last 60+ issues. Alopex is of course absent, we at least saw Harold/Libby, no Fugitoid either.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Hm, just realized April's parents didn't show up. I guess they would have been scared of all the mutants though. :lol:

Are there any other characters missing? I'm trying to think of all the Turtles notable friends over the last 60+ issues. Alopex is of course absent, we at least saw Harold/Libby, no Fugitoid either.

Fugitoid is in another dimension testifying at--wait, no, sorry. He's on Burnow, isn't he? He's probably neck-deep in trouble out there.

But yeah... it didn't occur to me until you said something, but I would have LOVED seeing the O'Neil parents show up at this party. But that would've been a separate story, too much focus on them instead of just the ensemble party. Except for Woody, pretty much everybody knows pretty much everybody.

Redeemer
12-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Fugitoid is in another dimension testifying at--wait, no, sorry. He's on Burnow, isn't he? He's probably neck-deep in trouble out there.

But yeah... it didn't occur to me until you said something, but I would have LOVED seeing the O'Neil parents show up at this party. But that would've been a separate story, too much focus on them instead of just the ensemble party. Except for Woody, pretty much everybody knows pretty much everybody.

Poor Mr.O'neil probably would have had another stoke seeing all those mutants. :lol:

Ceres
12-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Well given the state of the fugitoid i doubt he would go anywhere aside from Burnow

ToTheNines
12-14-2016, 03:45 PM
This issue was just adorable in all senses of the word. Really put me into the Holiday spirit.

Same here! I've been having a rough month, so I needed that. Awesome issue.

Can't really add anything that y'all haven't said already, just that this was a really awesome gift to the fans. They could have made it some generic Christmas story in an attempt to cater to anyone who was just feeling festive and picking up holiday specials. But it turned out to be really continuity-heavy. Love it.

Also, the art team killed it, especially Pattison.

DestronMirage22
12-14-2016, 04:03 PM
A fantastic issue, packed with characterization and tons of fun.
Also:
Ice, ice, baby!

neatoman
12-14-2016, 04:07 PM
A fantastic issue, packed with characterization and tons of fun.
Also:
Ice, ice, baby!

How many people below the age of 30 knows who Vanilla Ice is? I only know of him through TMNT.

CyberCubed
12-14-2016, 04:19 PM
It is a bit odd April is so willing to work with Baxter again after everything he's done. He did after all send his flyborg mutants/robots after the Turtles a number of times and destroyed their old lair. I suppose we'll see where it goes, but Baxter only cares for himself over everyone else.

I also really like how this leads into the Bishop/Mutanimals story coming up. We see Bishop still monitoring the Turtles and the mutants and now that we see all the Mutanimals together we know they're in for rough times ahead.

TigerClaw
12-14-2016, 04:26 PM
How come Alopex is not in this issue?

myconius
12-14-2016, 04:27 PM
this was probably one of my favorite issues in a long LONG time!
i really enjoy these more intimate stories where you get to feel like your spending quality time with the characters.
especially at the end where you get to see each Turtle's bedroom. that was a great look into each their characters. hope we get treated to more issues like this in the future.

i picked up an extra copy of this issue, for someone i talk comics with.
he seemed pretty thrilled when he saw it. i'm very eager to here his reaction after having read it. :)

myconius
12-14-2016, 04:28 PM

she's still MIA

CyberCubed
12-14-2016, 04:28 PM

She ran off to Alaska after Kitsune mind controlled her. She's in January's issue.

TigerClaw
12-14-2016, 04:31 PM
She ran off to Alaska after Kitsune mind controlled her. She's in January's issue.
Alrighty then.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Alrighty then.

Solicitations are your friend.

myconius
12-14-2016, 05:34 PM
this issue just gets better and better with each re-read!! :D

and still that epilogue gets me choked up every time!! :lol:

myconius
12-14-2016, 05:40 PM

http://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/0/40/5580376-4+tmnt_65-pr-4.jpg

i really like the way Leo is drawn in this issue!

MikeandRaph87
12-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Why did the Turtles do the light display when they want to keep hidden? Hope they won't have to move once Agent Bishop won't force them to move once Don gave away their location.

Redeemer
12-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Why did the Turtles do the light display when they want to keep hidden? Hope they won't have to move once Agent Bishop won't force them to move once Don gave away their location.

Don did not give away their location, He actually saved them from being found. In the issue when Don flipped the switch he knocked out half the power to the city and knocked out Bishop's tracking tech.

:lol: #Donniesaves

MikeandRaph87
12-14-2016, 07:18 PM
I don't know. The whole situation has not played out. The only lite place in a few miles radius would attract attention without tracking equipment.

It as a fun issue and nice to see the various character interacting.

DrSpengler
12-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT #65 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/12/tmnt-idw-65.html)

I love "day in the life" stories that focus strictly on the characters and just what they do when they're chillin. If you love the characters as much as you love the story, or even more so, then these sorts of tales never feel "boring".

Loved all the mingling, especially seeing characters interact who had never met before (or hadn't seen each other in a long time). Woody got stuff to do, which is practically a first. I had forgotten that Slash mauled him back in the early days of the book; a lot of fun to see that elephant in the room get brought up after so long.

Ending was sweet, too. Mushy, maybe, but hey no more grappling hook.

CyberCubed
12-14-2016, 07:33 PM
I also really liked April's outfit in this issue, pretty unique from anything we usually see her wear.

myconius
12-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Ending was sweet, too. Mushy, maybe, but hey no more grappling hook.

it'll be nice to see Michelangelo with nunchakus again! it's hard to believe he hasn't had them in over a year.

the ending reminded me a bit of issue #5 when Splinter gave Raphael his sai for Christmas.

myconius
12-14-2016, 07:35 PM
I also really liked April's outfit in this issue, pretty unique from anything we usually see her wear.

yeah her outfit was really nice.
i liked the look of her hair growing in.

myconius
12-14-2016, 08:07 PM
i really like the store name on the window! :D

http://66.media.tumblr.com/a4e83eaa27645594f8ff45eddff98290/tumblr_inline_ofd5xyOvWN1s7jrtx_540.jpg

ToTheNines
12-14-2016, 08:08 PM
it'll be nice to see Michelangelo with nunchakus again! it's hard to believe he hasn't had them in over a year.

I guess he's been using the grappling hook this whole time in the ongoing, but he definitely had nunchaku in Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything and TMNTU 1-4.

ProphetofGanja
12-14-2016, 08:14 PM
I think the bedrooms were my favorite. Raph with Wolverine posters and figures was hilarious. :tlol:

The Wolverine posters in Raph's room were too perfect. Wolverine is definitely the Marvel character that Raph most embodies, I think. For the rest of the brothers, I'd say Leo reminds me of Captain America, Donnie is like Mr. Fantastic, and Mikey is similar to... I guess Spider-Man? Like a really young Spider-Man? Hmm it's hard to pick a Marvel equivalent for Mikey

Everyone would get along just fine with the Mutanimals if it weren't for Hob. He's the reason there is usually tension between the two mutant families.

I know there are a lot of high stakes things Hob could be off doing during this issue, but I like to think all he did was grab open a beer and watch some TV. Even Hob's gotta have time off from being a sneaky **** all the time

It's good stuff, man. Vanilla, nutmeg, egg whites (you don't use the yolks), and some other stuff I don't remember... we make our own, and need to get crackin' this year.

And bourbon, of course. For the adult punch bowl. :trazz:

can't have eggnog without bourbon!

I mean, if you were throwing a party for all your friends, would you invite your friends' parents? No matter how cool they are, you probably don't want them at most of your parties

Same here! I've been having a rough month, so I needed that. Awesome issue.

Can't really add anything that y'all haven't said already, just that this was a really awesome gift to the fans. They could have made it some generic Christmas story in an attempt to cater to anyone who was just feeling festive and picking up holiday specials. But it turned out to be really continuity-heavy. Love it.

Also, the art team killed it, especially Pattison.

Pattison is the lifeblood of the IDW series

It is a bit odd April is so willing to work with Baxter again after everything he's done. He did after all send his flyborg mutants/robots after the Turtles a number of times and destroyed their old lair. I suppose we'll see where it goes, but Baxter only cares for himself over everyone else.

I also really like how this leads into the Bishop/Mutanimals story coming up. We see Bishop still monitoring the Turtles and the mutants and now that we see all the Mutanimals together we know they're in for rough times ahead.

April's pretty smart; she realizes that at this point in time its mutually beneficial for them to work together, as it also allows them to keep an eye on one of their wilier enemies

I'm really glad that Bishop and his men didn't manage to find the Turtles' hideout before the power went out. For once the Turtles got lucky! But it seems like things will pick up quickly in the next story arc once the EPF catches up with them :ohwell: that will be exciting at least!

She couldn't make it due to a prior engagement

myconius
12-14-2016, 08:42 PM
I guess he's been using the grappling hook this whole time in the ongoing, but he definitely had nunchaku in Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything and TMNTU 1-4.

yeah he did have nunchaku in Tmnt Universe 1-4 didn't he?

maybe theses are NEW new chucks? :D

PApagreg
12-14-2016, 10:16 PM
The Wolverine posters in Raph's room were too perfect. Wolverine is definitely the Marvel character that Raph most embodies, I think. For the rest of the brothers, I'd say Leo reminds me of Captain America, Donnie is like Mr. Fantastic, and Mikey is similar to... I guess Spider-Man? Like a really young Spider-Man? Hmm it's hard to pick a Marvel equivalent for Mikey

I see Spiderman more in Donnie compared Mikey, Mikey's Marvel equalivent would be Molly Hayes

Technogeek29
12-14-2016, 10:44 PM
I would like to add Pepperoni is handled well. A fun background character just doing her thing.

Technogeek29
12-14-2016, 10:45 PM
yeah he did have nunchaku in Tmnt Universe 1-4 didn't he?

maybe theses are NEW new chucks? :D

Probably just a continuity flub, and honestly a very small one I don't see the point of being bothered about.

Ninjinister
12-14-2016, 11:07 PM
This very issue is lying on the floor on page 2.

Ow. My head.

myconius
12-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Probably just a continuity flub, and honestly a very small one I don't see the point of being bothered about.

yeah, i felt the same way.
even with the continuity flub i really liked the impact of seeing Mikey waking up to find the new chucks.
nor would i want anything altered, as that gag in TMNT:U#1 with Donatello cracking himself with Mikey's chucks was PURE gold!! :lol:

MikeandRaph87
12-15-2016, 07:41 AM
yeah, i felt the same way.
even with the continuity flub i really liked the impact of seeing Mikey waking up to find the new chucks.
nor would i want anything altered, as that gag in TMNT:U#1 with Donatello cracking himself with Mikey's chucks was PURE gold!! :lol:

Could we just say when Michelangelo took off he brought his spare chucks and due to that was hesitant they would break in battle. Unprepared for battle with the first act of Agent Bishop and the time travel adventure of Bebop and Rocksteady he had them on hand so he and Don could trade weapons as seen on the rooftop scene. Would that work?

myconius
12-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Could we just say when Michelangelo took off he brought his spare chucks and due to that was hesitant they would break in battle. Unprepared for battle with the first act of Agent Bishop and the time travel adventure of Bebop and Rocksteady he had them on hand so he and Don could trade weapons as seen on the rooftop scene. Would that work?

i mean if one really wanted to get creative with it one could speculate that-
maybe Michelangelo was borrowing the nunchaku he was using in B&R-DE and TMNT:Universe from Woody?
in their spare time (in-between major story events) Michelangelo could have been training Woody to use the nunchaku?
i mean Woody seems to be a pretty fit guy, he and Mikey probably don't just have pizza as their main interactions between one another.

but who knows? it's not something i'm going to get to swept away with.
the series is far too fun to get hung up in minor continuity details. :twink:

MikeandRaph87
12-15-2016, 10:12 AM
i mean if one really wanted to get creative with it one could speculate that-
maybe Michelangelo was borrowing the nunchaku he was using in B&R-DE and TMNT:Universe from Woody?
in their spare time (in-between major story events) Michelangelo could have been training Woody to use the nunchaku?
i mean Woody seems to be a pretty fit guy, he and Mikey probably don't just have pizza as their main interactions between one another.

but who knows? it's not something i'm going to get to swept away with.
the series is far too fun to get hung up in minor continuity details. :twink:

Its in my nature to that. :P

I am glad Woody is not a wooden character and is getting more depth such as his interactions with Slash and Angel. I don't see him putting on a suit and helping Angel find her mutant friend Alopex. That would be cool to see though.

myconius
12-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Its in my nature to that. :P

hey, it's cool! we all have our things :D

I am glad Woody is not a wooden character and is getting more depth such as his interactions with Slash and Angel. I don't see him putting on a suit and helping Angel find her mutant friend Alopex. That would be cool to see though.

i was actually envisioning Woody handing the nunchaku very much in the same way that Donatello did in the opening of Tmnt:Universe issue #1
hence forth why he'd be quick to let Mikey borrow it for a mission or two :lol:

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Woody is probably just going to remain a background character, there's really no need for him to be a larger part of the story.

myconius
12-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Woody is probably just going to remain a background character, there's really no need for him to be a larger part of the story.

we're just having fun at the idea of where Mikey got the nunchaku he was using prior to the Christmas party is all.

Mutant Ninja Anole
12-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Good Christmas issue. Have fun scanning each panel for character romantic pairing evidence.

But most importantly, Mikey got his chucks back=Splinter confirmed for still good in my book ;)

Actually, a decent number of plot relevant stuff and good characterization happened here. Casey and April starting to thaw again, the aformentioned return of the nun-chucks, etc. I really could say a lot about this issue actually.

funatic
12-15-2016, 03:00 PM

kindred spirits :flaming:

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Actually, a decent number of plot relevant stuff and good characterization happened here. Casey and April starting to thaw again, the aformentioned return of the nun-chucks, etc. I really could say a lot about this issue actually.

Yep, Slash also reconnected with the Mutanimals again (he went off on his own off-screen since we last saw him), April/Casey are back on good terms, Harold and Libby are together, Mike is back with the other Turtles fully, Splinter still loves his sons despite being head of the Foot, etc.

And next issue they're going to get Alopex back, so pretty much all the plotlines from issue #51 onward are being resolved, as we then head forward into Bishop's main arc.

DestronMirage22
12-15-2016, 03:59 PM
This issue was pretty much perfect as it is, but if it would've had more pages, I would've loved seeing how Hob and Hun spent their Christmas. Probably would've included a lot of brooding and beer. :lol:

TigerClaw
12-15-2016, 04:28 PM
You know who else was missing in this issue? Leatherhead! Where was he during the Holidays?

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 04:33 PM
You know who else was missing in this issue? Leatherhead! Where was he during the Holidays?

He's in the Universe issue #5 with Old Hob, which takes place at the same time as this.

On top of that Leatherhead isn't friends with the Turtles in this series, why would he be there? He literally killed Utroms while they slept.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2016, 04:49 PM

Do you even read this series? :trolleye:

MikeandRaph87
12-15-2016, 05:24 PM
What are the odds that Alopex will not return with Raphael and Angel in #66?

Dust
12-15-2016, 05:32 PM

Maybe planning to kill more mutants/Utroms, you do know what IDW Leatherhead is like right? Anyway, as Cubed says this takes place at the same time as TMNT Universe #6. Don't ask a stupid question.

TigerClaw
12-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Maybe planning to kill more mutants/Utroms, you do know what IDW Leatherhead is like right? Anyway, as Cubed says this takes place at the same time as TMNT Universe #6. Don't ask a stupid question.
I'll continue asking stupid questions if you don't mind, Can't read everything that's out there. ;)

ProphetofGanja
12-15-2016, 06:02 PM
I'll continue asking stupid questions if you don't mind, Can't read everything that's out there. ;)

:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 06:07 PM

Well the Alopex issue is only a one issue story since the Bishop arc is right after, so hopefully Alopex comes back with them to NY right away rather than dragging it out.

Technogeek29
12-15-2016, 07:01 PM
:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

what he said...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2016, 07:36 PM

That's been my assumption, too.

Just when I thought my opinion of you couldn't possibly be any lower..

Technogeek29
12-15-2016, 07:51 PM
That's been my assumption, too.

Just when I thought my opinion of you couldn't possibly be any lower..

If he was genuinely curious I wouldn't mind answering his questions. But he words them and a sort of trollish way. I like to think that wasn't his intention but then that last comment he put...

MikeandRaph87
12-15-2016, 07:56 PM
I want her on the grid opposed to placed on the shelf for later. Slash disappeared for 13 issues. That is not bad. Others much longer. I just don't see her fitting into the Agent Bishop arc that is just unfolding mutant or not.

ProphetofGanja
12-15-2016, 08:08 PM

Even if you can't read every issue of the comic, or any issue, you can at least read reviews that are posted online. Some in this very thread, in fact. Knowledge is power.

TigerClaw
12-15-2016, 08:10 PM
If he was genuinely curious I wouldn't mind answering his questions. But he words them and a sort of trollish way. I like to think that wasn't his intention but then that last comment he put...
I have not read any of the comics, I stopped buying and reading comics after the TMNT Archie comics ended.

ProphetofGanja
12-15-2016, 08:19 PM
I have not read any of the comics, I stopped buying and reading comics after the TMNT Archie comics ended.

you mean like in the 90's?

TigerClaw
12-15-2016, 08:20 PM
you mean like in the 90's?
Yeah, after its cancellation, I was pretty bumbed about it, since it was the only comics I was into at the time.

So I havent gotten back into comics ever since, There are ways at reading the new ones, but its something we cannot talk about here anyways.

DestronMirage22
12-15-2016, 08:23 PM

Then why on earth would you bother asking questions about a comic series you aren't invested enough in to buy every month? :-?:-?:-?

TigerClaw
12-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Then why on earth would you bother asking questions about a comic series you aren't invested enough in to buy every month? :-?:-?:-?
Cause I'm curious at what's been going on.

Utrommaniac
12-15-2016, 08:41 PM
I don't think I've seen any more perfection in Santolouco's art than Woody's reaction to Slash.

An incredibly cutesy issue, but it was still good.

ToTheNines
12-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Cause I'm curious at what's been going on.

You should catch up with the trades/collections, man. I think you'd dig it.

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 09:58 PM
I want her on the grid opposed to placed on the shelf for later. Slash disappeared for 13 issues. That is not bad. Others much longer. I just don't see her fitting into the Agent Bishop arc that is just unfolding mutant or not.

I wouldn't say Slash disappeared, none of the Mutanimals appeared for that time because the story shifted gears to the Utroms/Leatherhead, Kitsune, and then Dun/Street Phantoms.

Its Karai, and Koya/Bludgeon on the other hand, who we literally haven't seen in action since issue #50. I know they'll appear in an issue sometime in 2017, but they've been gone 15 issues so far.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2016, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't say Slash disappeared, none of the Mutanimals appeared for that time because the story shifted gears to the Utroms/Leatherhead, Kitsune, and then Dun/Street Phantoms.

Its Karai, and Koya/Bludgeon on the other hand, who we literally haven't seen in action since issue #50. I know they'll appear in an issue sometime in 2017, but they've been gone 15 issues so far.

Come on, Cubed, they HAVE to be gone. You can't tell the story of Splinter's falling out with his sons over leading the Foot if Karai is around; it completely changes the power dynamic, maybe she's influencing Splinter, etc. It has to be crystal clear that these are Splinter's decisions.

PApagreg
12-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Come on, Cubed, they HAVE to be gone. You can't tell the story of Splinter's falling out with his sons over leading the Foot if Karai is around; it completely changes the power dynamic, maybe she's influencing Splinter, etc. It has to be crystal clear that these are Splinter's decisions.

I don't see how you can't have Karai around and show that Splinter's decisions are his own hell maybe having her around hammers in the fact that Splinter is making these pragmatic decisions on his own free will.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2016, 11:00 PM
I don't see how you can't have Karai around and show that Splinter's decisions are his own hell maybe having her around hammers in the fact that Splinter is making these pragmatic decisions on his own free will.

It COULD be done, but it also opens up more confusion. It also makes it a less intimate story.

This focuses on just the Hamato Clan. And I think it's the right way to go.

Raptor86
12-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Has already been said that Santolouco's art is terrific?!

I love the way he drew Raph. While reading I thought he was looking like Wolverine...and then in the epilogue we see his room. It makes totally sens!

ProphetofGanja
12-16-2016, 06:05 PM
I think that as far as Karai goes, the story could've worked either way, with her present or not, at least in regards to the story's impact on Splinter and the readers' perception of him. As for Karai, I think the breathing room will be beneficial to her as a character, as she's really only had screentime in the presence of other strongly-developed characters, and she could really use some time to let the readers know her better. I think we'll get that once the series checks in with her in Japan, we just have to be patient and get to that point. All in good time, comrades.

I think now that Kitsune is no longer being held captive in the Foot Clan's headquarters it's very easy to see that she's not influencing decisions made by Splinter.

And speaking of Kitsune, I wonder where she headed when she left Foot Clan HQ in the helicopter in #60. She thought she had recovered Shredder's body, so my guess is she was headed to a site where she could use ooze or magic or magic ooze or something to resurrect him. Guess she'll have to postpone that plan

Also, having just re-read the Chasing Phantoms arc I'm curious about the Turtles' thoughts on the Pantheon since they've severed ties with the Foot and their father for the time being. Certainly they know that just because they're not active ninjas right now these crazy gods aren't going to leave them alone

Turtle Flakes
12-17-2016, 11:36 AM
This was a very nice issue, but I'm also surprised people are overlooking how this advanced some characters interactions/relationships:

- Harold and Libby are apparently back together. And we also know she's fine from the attack in the previous issue.

- Casey and April seem to be getting back together. Its easy to forget they split up for a bit.

- Woody receives his most characterisation ever beyond being the "pizza delivery guy" and develops a crush on Angel

- April and Lindsey also bond again, its easy to forget they worked at Stocktronics together as co-workers.

- Slash and the other Mutanimals still get along, so its only Hob he doesn't like. Also nearly completely forgot Slash attacked Woody back in the first year.

- And of course the ending with Splinter showing up delivering gifts, proof he still loves his sons as much as ever.

Its too bad they couldn't squeeze the Alopex issue in before the end of the year, she was the only major character missing for this Christmas party. But of course this issue had to come out in December. Would have also been nice to see Fugitoid invited too.

I definitely agree. I loved this issue--as it's a good wholesome, feel-good Christmas story.

However, the end with Splinter dropping off Mikey's new 'chucks and smiling--it's such a stark contrast to the tone of issue 64, which had both a somber and shocking ending.

Don't get me wrong, this issue is fantastic and a nice change of pace, but I'm wondering if it will be back to business as usual with a darker Splinter after this particular issue.

Nonetheless, I was happy to see him care for his sons once again--even if it was covertly! :tsmile:

Mutant Ninja Anole
12-19-2016, 12:18 AM
My own take is that while this is a darker Splinter, we need to be clear that this is NOT the Shredder. He still loves his sons, don't expect the Foot to make any moves against them while he is in charge.

At worst, he becomes an 'honorable villain' or character that the Turtles might fight against or ally with depending on the circumstances. That is, I could see the Turtles interfering with a Foot operation if it was illegal, but I don't see Splinter trying to take over the world or doing any supremely evil things. More likely they would end up being tentative allies when a group like Null or the renegade Utroms showed up. I mean, they temporarily worked with the Foot when Shredder was the actual boss to save the world, don't see why they wouldn't now if they needed too.

Utrommaniac
12-19-2016, 04:32 AM
It does seem like Splinter is attempting to reform the foot to the "nobility" that he once knew - even if the turtles don't agree with what that means.

The most important factor I see here is that he's respecting their need for distance from him - save for leaving them gifts.

Mutant Ninja Anole
12-19-2016, 09:13 AM
It does seem like Splinter is attempting to reform the foot to the "nobility" that he once knew - even if the turtles don't agree with what that means.

The most important factor I see here is that he's respecting their need for distance from him - save for leaving them gifts.

Pretty much.

I'm basically repeating myself but Splinter is running the Foot more or less under the same logic he would have used in his previous life in feudal Japan. The problem is that it's 2016 America and what would have been seen as fair for its time might not fly today. He does recognize this life isn't safe for his sons, hence his odd gambit in #64.

PApagreg
12-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Pretty much.

I'm basically repeating myself but Splinter is running the Foot more or less under the same logic he would have used in his previous life in feudal Japan. The problem is that it's 2016 America and what would have been seen as fair for its time might not fly today. He does recognize this life isn't safe for his sons, hence his odd gambit in #64.

I don't know for a guy who is running what is basically a mercenary organization he seems pretty damn fair in a modern since(though maybe he could have asked for half of The Phantom's stuff)

ctt4lfecw
12-27-2016, 08:25 AM
Am I the only one here who wants to smash Angel? Lol. No lie she is fine af in this issue.

Redeemer
12-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Am I the only one here who wants to smash Angel? Lol. No lie she is fine af in this issue.

settle down Woody :lol:

GoldMutant
12-27-2016, 11:11 AM
So one of my friends on the drome sent me the comic. This is in many ways my first IDW reading (I've seen some at the library, but have done other things preventing me from reading) and it certainly was a cute issue. I really loved the artwork as well as Woody, Pete, and especially Mikey here. Nice references to various franchises too from video gaming to Wolverine. (X-Men/TMNT crossover anyone?)

I do understand what's going on due to previews but the only issue I have right now is Harold. Can anyone tell me, without spoiling, why he's mad at the Turtles? It's the only thing that really hurt the issue for me due to coming out of the blue.

Otherwise, I hope to get caught up with IDW in the near future and discuss more things outside the cartoons. Happy belated holidays everyone.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-27-2016, 11:20 AM
So one of my friends on the drome sent me the comic. This is in many ways my first IDW reading (I've seen some at the library, but have done other things preventing me from reading) and it certainly was a cute issue. I really loved the artwork as well as Woody, Pete, and especially Mikey here. Nice references to various franchises too from video gaming to Wolverine. (X-Men/TMNT crossover anyone?)

I do understand what's going on due to previews but the only issue I have right now is Harold. Can anyone tell me, without spoiling, why he's mad at the Turtles? It's the only thing that really hurt the issue for me due to coming out of the blue.

Otherwise, I hope to get caught up with IDW in the near future and discuss more things outside the cartoons. Happy belated holidays everyone.

Harold blames the Turtles for getting him kidnapped and held hostage by the Street Phantoms.

GoldMutant
12-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Harold blames the Turtles for getting him kidnapped and held hostage by the Street Phantoms.

I'm assuming this was in the current arc? Either way, thanks Cy. :)

CyberCubed
12-27-2016, 01:02 PM
His former wife, the woman in the wheelchair, was also slashed by one of the Street Phantoms in the previous issue.

Mutant Ninja Anole
12-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Wait wait, I forget and don't have the issues with me at the moment. Did Harold get kidnapped against his will? For some weird reason I thought he let himself get captured.

CyberCubed
12-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Wait wait, I forget and don't have the issues with me at the moment. Did Harold get kidnapped against his will? For some weird reason I thought he let himself get captured.

The Street Phantoms broke into his lab and knocked him out cold. He was kidnapped.

MikeandRaph87
12-27-2016, 01:19 PM

No, Splinter set him up to be captured to preoccupy The Street Phantoms so The Foot could strike unexoectedly to nip their biggest threat in the bud. Harold was the unwilling bait which is what also led to his ex-wife getting injured. Their association with Donatello got them into this mess thus Harold wants to distance himself from rhem for a good while.

neatoman
12-27-2016, 04:00 PM

Smash as in what the Hulk does or smash as in have sexual intercourse with?

If it's the first, no. If it's the second, yeah why not?

Mutant Ninja Anole
12-27-2016, 05:55 PM
No, Splinter set him up to be captured to preoccupy The Street Phantoms so The Foot could strike unexoectedly to nip their biggest threat in the bud. Harold was the unwilling bait which is what also led to his ex-wife getting injured. Their association with Donatello got them into this mess thus Harold wants to distance himself from rhem for a good while.

Okay, in that case he definitely has a legitimate beef and that's a real problem with Splinter's actions. Probably above anything else he did honestly. Though oddly enough his ex was working with the Phantoms so...while the incident may have shocked him into turning, if his problem with Splinter was that one of the Phantoms hurt his girl who was willfully working with them I'm not sure he can really blame the Foot for that.

DestronMirage22
12-27-2016, 05:59 PM

Yeah, I guess. April on the other hand....
:P

DisKosh
12-30-2016, 06:20 PM

I once bought some eggnog milkshake which didn't have any alcohol in it whatsoever (I checked) and they still ID'd me! :lol:

Mormegil
12-30-2016, 09:14 PM
This issue was so much fun. I'm happy they kept any fighting scenes out of it. I told myself I wasn't going to buy and issues after #62 and universe #2. But my local shop was having a back issue sale and I had a gift card so I was able to catch up on the main title and universe.

It's taking a step in the right direction. I still feel like Spilnter is doing all this because he's being influenced by the Rat King. It was such a sudden shift in character.

MikeandRaph87
12-30-2016, 09:24 PM
This issue was so much fun. I'm happy they kept any fighting scenes out of it. I told myself I wasn't going to buy and issues after #62 and universe #2. But my local shop was having a back issue sale and I had a gift card so I was able to catch up on the main title and universe.

It's taking a step in the right direction. I still feel like Spilnter is doing all this because he's being influenced by the Rat King. It was such a sudden shift in character.

I thought Kitsune myself, however Bobby Curnow sqaushed the idea stating its Splinter acting out on his own free will to lead a clan and be a loving father. Its more or less conflicting roles that Splinter plays and how it should be done in 2016 than influence by The Pantheon.

Don't stop now. Its getting good,heck its already good. Agent Bishop vs Mighty Mutanimals.

Powder
01-01-2017, 07:47 AM
I think I enjoyed this IDW issue more than any other, barring perhaps #50, but they're two very different beasts. God, we really needed this. Their universe's only missing piece was more slice of life material, & this was a PERFECT way to inject some. I was blown away by Mateus' work here, it's clear he not only had an absolute blast doing it, but went well out of his way to load up on references & unscripted character beats. I got such a kick out of the many expressive faces, especially Donatello's. I've really liked all of the other artists, most recently Dave's stuff was right up my alley, but there's one character nobody does quite like Santolouco, & that's Harold. Boy do I love the way he draws that wily bastard. Funny as hell seeing the Mutanimals in casual/hipster wear. Wouldn't necessarily want it to be a recurring thing, but it was very amusing as a visual gag this time around. The little moments were my favorite aspect, it doesn't take much to sneak in those background happenings, but they go a long way toward building character, & making the universe feel more lively. One thing that really tickled my pickle was Leonardo hitting it off with Mutagen Man. They're both lost souls of a sort, so it make sense that during all the ruckus they'd be off to the side having a quiet chat. :tsmile:

As unfortunate as it is, the ending was great too. Bittersweet was always the Mirage way, so seeing that their one break from the madness is going to ultimately lead to madness doubling down seems very fitting. But I do feel real bad for the guys, don't get me wrong.

MikeandRaph87
01-02-2017, 08:10 AM
I found this excellent review of the issue. It is a good read and covers everything well.
http://bamsmackpow.com/2016/12/17/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-65-review-christmas-party-dude/

Powder
01-02-2017, 09:03 AM
"Woody, who used to provide the Turtles with their pizzas, makes his first reappearance in years."

We saw him fairly recently, no?

"Baxtor Stockman"

Ah, yes, the long forgotten He-Man villain who does inventory at Wal-Mart.

That aside, it sums things up well, yeah.

MikeandRaph87
01-02-2017, 09:37 AM
I excused the Baxter Stockman typo, but yes how he missed Woody in #61 where he, Michelangelo and Raphael shared a pizza in the lair is beyond me.

CyberCubed
01-02-2017, 12:58 PM
"Raphael’s civilian attire is a shout out to both their Archie Comics run and a lyric from their 1987 theme song."

Uh...what?

MikeandRaph87
01-02-2017, 01:06 PM
"Raphael’s civilian attire is a shout out to both their Archie Comics run and a lyric from their 1987 theme song."

Uh...what?

The same ball cap Future Raphael wore and the belt buckle reads "CRUDE" as in 'cool, but crude' from the lyric in the 1987 opening theme.

myconius
01-03-2017, 08:05 AM
I think I enjoyed this IDW issue more than any other, barring perhaps #50, but they're two very different beasts. God, we really needed this. Their universe's only missing piece was more slice of life material, & this was a PERFECT way to inject some.

true! there have been very few moments when we've gotten to spend some quality down time with the characters.
it might seem insignificant, but it really is important to readers to feel any kind of connection to the characters.