PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Fred Wolf Series is 29 Years Old

TigerClaw
12-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Today marks the 29th anniversary of the Fred Wolf series, It premiered on December 14, 1987.

CyberCubed
12-14-2016, 08:08 PM
To think I watched this show when I was 3 years old, probably around 1988 or so. And here I still am nearly 3 decades later still interested in TMNT.

How can a fully grown adult still have the same interest in something as a 3 year old? I don't know how but it did it for many of us.

TigerClaw
12-14-2016, 08:09 PM
To think I watched this show when I was 3 years old, probably around 1988 or so. And here I still am nearly 3 decades later still interested in TMNT.

How can a fully grown adult still have the same interest in something as a 3 year old? I don't know how but it did it for many of us.
Something about TMNT brings out the kid in all of us, They are fun living and that's what made them appeal to us, I was only 14 years old when I watched it.

ToTheNines
12-14-2016, 08:11 PM
Should have just saved this thread for next year.

MikeandRaph87
12-14-2016, 08:11 PM

I was two years old and have no memory of a time which I was not a TMNT fan. It is all because of this cartoon.

TigerClaw
12-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Should have just saved this thread for next year.
I will update the topic once we get to the 30th anniversary.

CyberCubed
12-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Ironically enough the first episode I ever saw, if this is true, was "Incredible Shrinking Turtles" from Season 2. Mainly because my mother told me when we watched the first episode together it was when the Turtles "got really small and had to fight a snake" and then Splinter fought Shredder.

Not a bad first episode to see.

DarkFell
12-14-2016, 10:05 PM
The most memorable episode (among the first TMNT VHS tapes that I watched as a kid), was this baby.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HCouZM4OjK0/hqdefault.jpg

oldmanwinters
12-14-2016, 10:33 PM
I really would like to have seen the pilot episodes when it aired as a 5-day event. Too bad there's no surviving promos from local channels. I imagine commercials would have had a field day pronouncing the franchise title over and over again.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-15-2016, 07:22 AM
I didn't grow up with the OT, but I found out about it about almost 4 years ago when I became a new fan of tmnt through the Nick show, and I absolutely adore and love the old cartoon with all my heart!

The first episode I ever saw was "Splinter Vanishes"

Vegita-San
12-15-2016, 08:48 AM
am i the only one who didn't like this series when i first saw it in 1989?

somehow i gave it another chance though and glad i did.

i just wish the stuff coming out today had the sense of fun and adventure that the old stuff had. 4kids was the last group to get the formula right.

Vegita-San
12-15-2016, 08:49 AM
I really would like to have seen the pilot episodes when it aired as a 5-day event. Too bad there's no surviving promos from local channels. I imagine commercials would have had a field day pronouncing the franchise title over and over again.

I want to find some of the WPIX promo's.

I THINK they had custom recordings from the voice actors in them.

either that, or i am mis remembering the toy commercial spots.

I specifically remember a Krang shot from '4 Turtles and a Baby' that had new dialouge for KRang.

'Defeated by 4 turtles and a baby, unbelievable..'

pferreira
12-15-2016, 09:45 AM

How can a fully grown adult still have the same interest in something as a 3 year old? I don't know how but it did it for many of us.Yeah I know it's crazy however I don't care. I'm proud to like this cartoon. :lol:

Should have just saved this thread for next year.I agree, it's a bit premature.

I didn't grow up with the OT, but I found out about it about almost 4 years ago when I became a new fan of tmnt through the Nick show, and I absolutely adore and love the old cartoon with all my heart!I like to hear stories from new fans of the FW Ninja Turtles, that's quite nice. :)

i just wish the stuff coming out today had the sense of fun and adventure that the old stuff had. 4kids was the last group to get the formula right.With more serialised and complex plots in cartoons today writers and animators have forgot to add 'fun' to cartoons. Saturday cartoons are also dead from what I understand. Also remember most television scripts are made by committee today rather than one writer, one voice.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
12-15-2016, 10:25 AM
Some other sources say it aired between 28 December 19871 January 1988.

AquaParade
12-15-2016, 10:41 AM
My favorite thing about the original toon might be those awesome VHS covers. Seeing them brings back so many memories. They are striking, colorfun, and fun.

Andrew NDB
12-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Oh good, it gets another big celebrated anniversary next year. It already seems to (somehow) get an anniversary celebration every time the Mirage comics get an anniversary every 5 years, too.

Spike Spiegel
12-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Oh good, it gets another big celebrated anniversary next year. It already seems to (somehow) get an anniversary celebration every time the Mirage comics get an anniversary every 5 years, too.

Also, no one seemingly batted an eye at 2013 being the 10th for the 4Kids show...but maybe there's hope for 2018 (the 15th).

ABrown
12-15-2016, 12:05 PM

somehow i gave it another chance though and glad i did.

Nope. It wasn't until after I saw the original movie in 1990 that I really warmed up to the original cartoon.

i just wish the stuff coming out today had the sense of fun and adventure that the old stuff had. 4kids was the last group to get the formula right.

Again I completely agree. I think Nick's series should've tried to be a little more fun, and not be so serious.

Andrew NDB
12-15-2016, 12:09 PM
I think Nick's series should've tried to be a little more fun, and not be so serious.

What, are you sh*tting me?

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 12:30 PM
I can't think of what they might do for the 30th anniversary of this show:

1. The entire show is already on DVD, and was also re-released in a Turtle Van boxset. They'll probably just sell it again like this, but I don't expect any new remastered DVDs or anything.

2. Turtles Forever came out in 2009.

3. The Nick cartoon does have 1 more crossover episode with the OT in Season 5 coming up, but it'll likely just be a one part episode.

The only alternative I can think of is IDW greenlits a mini based on the original cartoon universe. Perhaps they'll do 80's TMNT meets Adam West Batman after the Nick/B:TAS crossover ends.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-15-2016, 12:47 PM
It would be pretty awesome if they released a blu-ray for the original cartoon. I wonder how many it would take to fit the entire show.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2016, 12:57 PM

Nothing says serious like Kraang butt cannons or a giant talking pizza the hutt.

Candy Kappa
12-15-2016, 01:36 PM

No, I despised the FW show as a kid. It wasn't until my 20's when I started to watch the whole show, I grew a fondness of it.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Nothing says serious like Kraang butt cannons or a giant talking pizza the hutt.

To be fair, there's alot of serious moments in the show and they've taken some big risks such as showing rat kings corpse, tang shens on-screen death and splinter being stabbed.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-15-2016, 02:23 PM
To be fair, there's alot of serious moments in the show and they've taken some big risks such as showing rat kings corpse, tang shens on-screen death and splinter being stabbed.

True that. But I think in general, it's much more lighthearted than 4Kids.

I mean, the artwork and voice actors alone make it lighter. Looking at you, Toddler Mikey.

neatoman
12-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Not to mention that the dark moments can seem somewhat out of place between the mutant food and the "throw a bunch of assests in a blender without rhyme or reason" episodes.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Thats what the Nick show was always meant to be, the middle ground between FW and 4Kids, which is the show's biggest strength yet biggest weakness at the same time.

Andrew NDB
12-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Thats what the Nick show was always meant to be, the middle ground between FW and 4Kids

I guess that's fair. Although the idea that 4Kids is this dark, gritty, drab Mirage-like thing is pretty far out there. 4Kids is just as wacky and campy as FW in many ways.

ToTheNines
12-15-2016, 02:46 PM
4kids is just as much a toy commercial as the rest of them.

I think the dramatic stuff in the Nick show almost always knocks it out of the park and helps balance the gonzo stuff.

Felt kind of forced in 4kids, sometimes.

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 03:46 PM
The 4kids series did push the bar as far as they can go with certain episodes, given they showed impalement and on-screen deaths in a few episodes.

DestronMirage22
12-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Thats what the Nick show was always meant to be, the middle ground between FW and 4Kids, which is the show's biggest strength yet biggest weakness at the same time.

Um, at the beginning of the series it certainly wasn't doing that. During the first season or so, the Nick show kinda didn't know what it wanted to be, and did it's own thing, introducing new characters/ideas. It wasn't 'till later it started adapting from previous versions.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Um, at the beginning of the series it certainly wasn't doing that. During the first season or so, the Nick show kinda didn't know what it wanted to be, and did it's own thing, introducing new characters/ideas. It wasn't 'till later it started adapting from previous versions.

This definitely!

TigerClaw
12-15-2016, 04:21 PM
What the Nick series has done lately, Is introduce new old characters, and I mean old characters we were familiar with, but done in a drastically different way that seemed like completely new characters, Some of them were taken right out of Fred Wolf but in name only.

Take a fan favorite character and completely change them to be a new character entirely, there only association is the name.

PApagreg
12-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Felt kind of forced in 4kids, sometimes.
4Kids did have a bad habit of being overly melodramtic, don't know if its the voice acting or the direction but some of the emotional scenes felt really narmy at times.

CyberCubed
12-15-2016, 04:31 PM
What the Nick series has done lately, Is introduce new old characters, and I mean old characters we were familiar with, but done in a drastically different way that seemed like completely new characters, Some of them were taken right out of Fred Wolf but in name only.

Take a fan favorite character and completely change them to be a new character entirely, there only association is the name.

Every series does that. 4kids and IDW do it too.

Every time a character is brought back they're reinvented and revamped.

LeotheLateBloomer
12-15-2016, 05:22 PM
When did they actually start working on the OT before it aired?

Vegita-San
12-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Not to mention that the dark moments can seem somewhat out of place between the mutant food and the "throw a bunch of assests in a blender without rhyme or reason" episodes.

yeah, but only because t hey try to go SERIOUS dark.

If they mellowed it back a bit, the two might mesh together better.

but they never follow up on the seriousness, and that's why it never works in this series. 4kids did it better. well, at least until fast forward :)

Vegita-San
12-15-2016, 05:28 PM

If I had to take a guess, probably sometime in early 86.

Andrew NDB
12-15-2016, 05:35 PM

Right around this time:

https://thetwistedpathgroup.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/making-a-deal-with-the-devil.jpg

LeotheLateBloomer
12-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Right around this time:

https://thetwistedpathgroup.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/making-a-deal-with-the-devil.jpg

I remember seeing that when they announced the first PD movie.

DestronMirage22
12-15-2016, 09:28 PM
I remember seeing that when they announced the first PD movie.

Reminds me a lot about Null.

Wesley
12-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Didn't realise it was the 29th anniversary :lol: Anyway, the Fred Wolf cartoon isn't as good as I remembered it as a kid, but I think it's still a good enough cartoon. It's alright in small doses. I think half of the episodes are still fun to watch. I'm actually surprised that it still holds up better than other 80s/90s kids shows to me and parts of it are more enjoyable as an adult, as a lot of the humour went over my head as a kid.

Lisardo
12-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah it did premiere in Dec. 1987 didn't it! I was a mere 7 years old back then. I don't think I first saw it till 1988 or 1989, but I forget.

ABrown
12-17-2016, 08:04 PM

Nope. I was just watching the Phineas and Ferb "Mission Marvel" episode today. And I was thinking to myself: THIS is what Nick's TMNT should be. Nickelodeon does fun a lot better than it does serious. They should stick to their strengths.

Jephael
12-19-2016, 05:49 PM
As much as I love the original cartoon, there were a lot of problems with it; Continuity blunders, animation errors up the rear end and don't even get me started on the replacement voice acting in the later years. Still, it had potential. David Wise did some of the best episodes, especially in season 7. I wish he had continued to do the show in season 9 instead of handing it over to whoever the hell thought Dregg and Carter were good ideas. :trazz:

Vegita-San
12-19-2016, 05:53 PM
as i recall..

the animation switch over was to compete with batman.

and dregg and carter where ideas of some cbs executive. my guess is they whre trying to drive away viewers, and it almost worked in my case. bad animation, annoying new hero who was useless.....power rangerl ike villain..

tmnt was cbs's only animated show at that point. but even that couldn't kill it.

TigerClaw
12-19-2016, 05:54 PM
As much as I love the original cartoon, there were a lot of problems with it; Continuity blunders, animation errors up the rear end and don't even get me started on the replacement voice acting in the later years. Still, it had potential. David Wise did some of the best episodes, especially in season 7. I wish he had continued to do the show in season 9 instead of handing it over to whoever the hell thought Dregg and Carter were good ideas. :trazz:
Or the time they retcon the Turtles origin with Mondo Gecko.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-19-2016, 10:50 PM
Mondo wasn't a retcon though. He was an ADDITION to the origin, one that could easily have been there all along, but was simply not known until Michelangelo's dream. Mondo was taken before Splinter found the turtles in the mutagen. The only real question was why they were not taken as well.

12-20-2016, 12:27 PM
as i recall..

the animation switch over was to compete with batman.

and dregg and carter where ideas of some cbs executive. my guess is they whre trying to drive away viewers, and it almost worked in my case. bad animation, annoying new hero who was useless.....power rangerl ike villain..

tmnt was cbs's only animated show at that point. but even that couldn't kill it.

The changes began during season 8. Dregg and Carter appear during seasons 9-10.

Andrew NDB
12-20-2016, 12:32 PM
I have a theory. Pretty much everyone outgrew or simply tired of FW TMNT, ratings dropped and toy sales were down, so they panicked, uprooted a lot of the old guard (David Wise, etc.) and tried to do... something new. Largely inspired by the other things out there that were working for kids (Power Rangers and so on).

I'm not sure why that's so hard to fathom.

CyberCubed
12-20-2016, 12:40 PM
The original cartoon aired over the course of 10 years. Of course the earliest kids would have already been teenagers by the time it was halfway through. And being in the 90's most teens at the time didn't watch cartoons, people were told to outgrow cartoons and videogames back then.

Its a lot different than today, where many adults do still watch cartoons and play videogames. Its so weird to see how different things are from the 90's, where back then people were told to leave comics, cartoons and videogames behind....and now all the current 20-30 year adults still love this stuff and never dropped it.

I guess society has changed. Now we can embrace being manchildren.

12-20-2016, 01:02 PM
The original cartoon aired over the course of 10 years. Of course the earliest kids would have already been teenagers by the time it was halfway through. And being in the 90's most teens at the time didn't watch cartoons, people were told to outgrow cartoons and videogames back then.

Its a lot different than today, where many adults do still watch cartoons and play videogames. Its so weird to see how different things are from the 90's, where back then people were told to leave comics, cartoons and videogames behind....and now all the current 20-30 year adults still love this stuff and never dropped it.

I guess society has changed. Now we can embrace being manchildren.

That change is great. Because if you're told to outgrow, what comes instead once you become a teenager? Maybe gangs and vandalism walking through the streets of town breaking streetlights and smashing cars instead of going to the lessons at school? Maybe tobacco? Maybe alcohol? Maybe drugs?

TheCanadiandrome
12-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Today marks the 29th anniversary of the Fred Wolf series, It premiered on December 14, 1987.

damn i feel old :lol: :lol:

neatoman
12-22-2016, 03:42 AM
I have a theory. Pretty much everyone outgrew or simply tired of FW TMNT, ratings dropped and toy sales were down, so they panicked, uprooted a lot of the old guard (David Wise, etc.) and tried to do... something new. Largely inspired by the other things out there that were working for kids (Power Rangers and so on).

I'm not sure why that's so hard to fathom.

Pretty much a no brainer.

But I wonder when the ratings dropped? Any ideas of when that happened? Was it during season 7 or had the ratings already been dropping for a while by that point? Considering how they produced 3 (albeit short) seasons after season 7, I'm willing to bet the ratings dropped before season 7.

cammy85
12-22-2016, 10:01 AM
IMO (and I'm sure here were reasons for this), it had to do with the fact that Season 4 was a full 13 week/26 episode season but Seasons 5-7 were shorter and used older episodes to run out the time. That got old quick.

pferreira
12-22-2016, 12:10 PM
It would be pretty awesome if they released a blu-ray for the original cartoon. I wonder how many it would take to fit the entire show.I'm sure it could be done.

4Kids is just as wacky and campy as FW in many ways.I have never heard anyone refer to the 4Kids series as 'wacky and campy'. The 4Kids series from what I've seen is all about the seriousness. Please explain, I'm curious.

I wish he had continued to do the show in season 9 instead of handing it over to whoever the hell thought Dregg and Carter were good ideas. :trazz:As mentioned before CBS executives felt they knew better and got rid of Wise after Season 9. Realising their mistake when writer Jeffrey Scott ran into trouble with the scripts CBS brought Wise back to rewrite one or two of Scott's scripts for Season 10.

I have a theory. Pretty much everyone outgrew or simply tired of FW TMNT, ratings dropped and toy sales were down, so they panicked, uprooted a lot of the old guard (David Wise, etc.) and tried to do... something new. As mentioned above they kept Wise for a couple of seasons and then got rid of him.

But I wonder when the ratings dropped? Any ideas of when that happened? Was it during season 7 or had the ratings already been dropping for a while by that point? Considering how they produced 3 (albeit short) seasons after season 7, I'm willing to bet the ratings dropped before season 7.I would say around Season 6 the ratings started to drop. Season 7 was a huge continuity season in 1993 to try and bring in the fans but that didn't work while the third Turtles movie failed to do big business at the Box Office.

01-04-2017, 12:23 PM
I have never heard anyone refer to the 4Kids series as 'wacky and campy'. The 4Kids series from what I've seen is all about the seriousness. Please explain, I'm curious.

I guess those saying that only know the 19871996 animated TV-series and the 19881996 Archie TMNT Adventures comics, juding everything after that.

Andrew NDB
01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
I have never heard anyone refer to the 4Kids series as 'wacky and campy'. The 4Kids series from what I've seen is all about the seriousness. Please explain, I'm curious.

Because every moment that could be remotely construed as "serious" is counterbalanced by tons of camp characters and/or vehicles and slapstick and inherent goofiness.

01-04-2017, 12:39 PM
At least, 30 this year and in 2018, the Archie TMNT Adventures will celebrate 30 too!

pferreira
01-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Because every moment that could be remotely construed as "serious" is counterbalanced by tons of camp characters and/or vehicles and slapstick and inherent goofiness.The one thing that always puts me off slightly about the 2003 series is whenever we get a battle sequence the show has to go into widescreen. It's totally unnecessary and I find it cheesy.

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 12:33 PM
The one thing that always puts me off slightly about the 2003 series is whenever we get a battle sequence the show has to go into widescreen. It's totally unnecessary and I find it cheesy.
especially when that show wasn't in HD and only in 4:3 format.

01-05-2017, 12:37 PM
2003 celebrates 15 in February 2018.

pferreira
01-05-2017, 02:12 PM
especially when that show wasn't in HD and only in 4:3 format.Exactly! It's a bit pretentious.

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 02:14 PM
The one thing that always puts me off slightly about the 2003 series is whenever we get a battle sequence the show has to go into widescreen. It's totally unnecessary and I find it cheesy.

Exactly! It's a bit pretentious.

Not to defend the 4Kids show (it sucks), but I think that's a lot less cheesy and "pulling you out of the show" than all the anime oddity moments in the Nick show. Or the TMNT's eyes turning white when they go into "battle mode" or whatever.

pferreira
01-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Not to defend the 4Kids show (it sucks), but I think that's a lot less cheesy and "pulling you out of the show" than all the anime oddity moments in the Nick show. Or the TMNT's eyes turning white when they go into "battle mode" or whatever.I need to watch more of the Nick series. :D

01-05-2017, 03:35 PM

It's probably anime-inspired.

pferreira
01-05-2017, 03:40 PM
It's probably anime-inspired.The 2003 one was as well to some extent I guess.

Spitfire
01-06-2017, 08:49 AM
I drive by the headquarters every time I go to the airport by my house. The building looks well maintained which is surprising to me. They are not currently producing anything that I am aware of.

Vegita-San
01-06-2017, 09:22 AM
I need to watch more of the Nick series. :D

no you don't.

4Kids is far better. Even Fast Forward is a bit more grounded than some of the nick series.

pferreira
01-12-2017, 09:49 AM
no you don't.

4Kids is far better. Even Fast Forward is a bit more grounded than some of the nick series.Ok I'm sorry. :cry:

Vegita-San
01-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Ok I'm sorry. :cry:

no need to cry. we all make mistakes of thinking we need to see something :)

Powder
01-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Vegita, you need to chill with the post-buyout party pooping. You always make a point to tell people how much you supposedly hate negativity, yet all you do is spread it. Virtually every single post you make is about how bad you think things have been since 2009. We get it, you're unhappy, but there's a time & place for those thoughts.

That aside, pferreira is pretty much just a Fred Wolf guy, so he'd probably like the Nick series way more than the 4kids one.

pferreira
01-19-2017, 10:15 AM
That aside, pferreira is pretty much just a Fred Wolf guy, so he'd probably like the Nick series way more than the 4kids one.I don't hate the 4Kids series, I just don't love it. Would I like the Nick series if I really sat down to watch it? I've seen some clips and I feel it's outside my time. I'm definitely not a fan of CG animation which makes me in the minority when everyone else loves the Shrek and all the Pixar movies. I'm a 2D cel animated person. :)

01-20-2017, 01:48 PM
I don't hate the 4Kids series, I just don't love it. Would I like the Nick series if I really sat down to watch it? I've seen some clips and I feel it's outside my time. I'm definitely not a fan of CG animation which makes me in the minority when everyone else loves the Shrek and all the Pixar movies. I'm a 2D cel animated person. :)

You're not alone of being a fan of computer animation. But I like that we have three animated TMNT TV-series, all of them animated in different ways.

pferreira
01-26-2017, 02:01 PM
You're not alone of being a fan of computer animation. But I like that we have three animated TMNT TV-series, all of them animated in different ways.Variety is good. :)

ranger_scout
02-02-2017, 01:02 PM
This is my 1,000th post and I thought I'd like to post it in this thread. It's hard to believe that this show will be turning 30 years old this December. The original series has meant so much to me over the years. It was one of the first cartoons I ever watched. Whenever I feel really down, some of the episodes make me feel better. The recent crossover with 2012 series, especially meant a lot to me because I was going through a dark time in my life when it first aired. I wrote fan-mail to Cam Clarke a few years ago and he replied back in such a gentleman like way. I was also thrilled to meet Rob Paulsen a few months ago at an Expo. I hope to meet Townsend Coleman, Barry Gordon and some other actors from the series someday. It would be also nice if Cam came to a convention in my area.

Jephael
02-02-2017, 01:07 PM
This is my 1,000th post and I thought I'd like to post it in this thread. It's hard to believe that this show will be turning 30 years old this December. The original series has meant so much to me over the years. It was one of the first cartoons I ever watched. Whenever I feel really down, some of the episodes make me feel better. The recent crossover with 2012 series, especially meant a lot to me because I was going through a dark time in my life when it first aired. I wrote fan-mail to Cam Clarke a few years ago and he replied back in such a gentleman like way. I was also thrilled to meet Rob a Paulsen a few months ago at an Expo. I hope to meet Townsend Coleman, Barry Gordon and some other actors from the series someday. It would be also nice if Cam came to a convention in my area.

I've had the pleasure of talking to Barry Gordon over the phone a couple times back in 2007 when he had his own radio show and I've corresponded with Rob Paulsen via Facebook and Twitter over the years. I had the pleasure of meeting Townsend Coleman in person, who just an outstanding individual and someone to look up to for a variety of reasons.

Andrew NDB
02-02-2017, 01:12 PM
I hope to meet Townsend Coleman, Barry Gordon and some other actors from the series someday.

Always seems strange to me. What would you say to them? "Your voice... uh, was awesome when I was a kid!" I mean, you can barely even ask them what it was like interacting with the other voice actors because largely... they weren't.

I get that you need to have a modicum of vocal talent to do a voice role, and be vocally versatile to do more than one kind of voice... what I don't get is -- unless you're a fellow voice actor, or an aspiring one -- like the fandom draw of it all. Like, "Ooooooh, I just met Casey Jones!!!" "Whoa, really? What's he like? Did he say how Judith Hoag was?" "No no no, man, it was the dude who did his voice on the cartoon in 1987!"

Not knocking it. I just don't get it.

Jephael
02-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Always seems strange to me. What would you say to them? "Your voice... uh, was awesome when I was a kid!" I mean, you can barely even ask them what it was like interacting with the other voice actors because largely... they weren't.

I get that you need to have a modicum of vocal talent to do a voice role, and be vocally versatile to do more than one kind of voice... what I don't get is -- unless you're a fellow voice actor, or an aspiring one -- like the fandom draw of it all. Like, "Ooooooh, I just met Casey Jones!!!" "Whoa, really? What's he like? Did he say how Judith Hoag was?" "No no no, man, it was the dude who did his voice on the cartoon in 1987!"

Hey people get just as jazzed about the animators and artists who simply draw their favorite characters, so it'd make sense that the voice actors receive just as much recognition given it'd otherwise just be a silent cartoon. They all come together to bring life to these fictional fantasies in a certain capacity and we should all be grateful for that, even if we prefer a more realistic (i.e. live action) take on them.

Powder
02-02-2017, 06:42 PM

C'mon son. You go to SDCC every year and pay to take pictures with the talent you like. You fully understand the fun of it, I'm sure. It's not about saying anything to them, it's about having a person to person connection with someone whose essence defined your childhood.

pferreira
02-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Not knocking it. I just don't get it.I don't know man, there's a reason voice artists have fan conventions. People think they're talented so why can't we appreciate them?

02-11-2017, 04:30 AM
It was one of the first animated TV-series I would (and could) watch and follow.

Jephael
02-11-2017, 10:58 PM
there's a reason voice artists have fan conventions. People think they're talented so why can't we appreciate them?

I've come to realize some people (and I won't name names) have a narrow-minded tendency to find certain genres and/or mediums of entertainment foolish or beneath them, which ultimately causes much unfortunate friction when it comes to properties such as the Ninja Turtles that tend to branch out into all of these different iterations over and over again.

In regards to animation and voice acting itself, it is a very intriguing profession to delve into, but you have to be extremely invested in the genesis of entertainment in a whole. Listening to Rob Paulsen's Talkin' Toon podcast has taught be a lot about what these people go through in regards to creating unique takes on original characters, not just in family entertainment like Animaniacs and Tiny Toons, but young adult shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy.

ToTheNines
02-15-2017, 04:56 AM
I cried when James Avery died.

I don't see the difference between a VA and a screen actor, as far as being a fanboy goes. Either way it's make believe.

Jephael
02-15-2017, 05:51 PM
I don't see the difference between a VA and a screen actor, as far as being a fanboy goes. Either way it's make believe.

That's what I've been saying all along, dude! These are all just works of fiction, and when it comes to characters like the Ninja Turtles, Batman, Spider-Man or whoever... the sky's the limit. You can do so many things with them, and we should all just be grateful for those who have the means to bring some form of life to these stories.

Andrew NDB
02-15-2017, 06:28 PM
C'mon son. You go to SDCC every year and pay to take pictures with the talent you like.

I haven't done that in like 4, 5 years.

To each their own. I just get irked when people are like, "Kevin Conroy was the best Batman!" and then weighing him directly against Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, Christian Bale, etc.'s portrayal. That's just plain dumb. Conroy did a Batman voice, possibly a great Batman voice. But that's all. He didn't "play" the character, the animators did that. I mean, rank him against other voice actors that've played Batman, that's fine... but the voice is just one component that makes up a character performance. One of many. It's probably not even the most important one (some of the best films out there have very little dialogue).

I mean, I know you have to put a lot of thought into a vocal performance. Inflection, tone, timing (although with cartoons the animators often figure out the timing after they get the vocals from the voice actors, not before, so there's not even really that) and even the voice you use. But... if you're actually playing the character live... you have to do all of those things AND add the whole physicality on top of it. You know, what expression you use, which quirks or ticks to add here or there, reading the actors you're acting with and how to adjust your performance, what way to stand, how you're going to grab the other guy, or actually acting out a love scene or going through the choreography of a fight scene... that's very different than just sitting in a chair doing a voice. It doesn't mean that voice acting is garbage and it doesn't mean that voice actor fanboys are wrong or dumb, it just means that voice acting quantifiably can't be held on the same pedestal or scale as "the real thing" but a lot of people like to act like it does. Hell, you don't even have to memorize your lines with voice acting... there they are, right in front of you.

Who knows, maybe Kevin Conroy could physically put on a Batman costume and act out an intense scene with Jack Nicholson or Michael Caine better than Keaton or Bale. Maybe. I don't know. I do know he was pretty crappy live in "Yoga Hosers."

CyberCubed
02-15-2017, 06:58 PM
A young Kevin Conroy from the 90's putting on a live action Batman costume would have been cool. He should have taken over in Batman Forever after Keaton stepped down.

pferreira
02-16-2017, 10:30 AM
I've come to realize some people (and I won't name names) have a narrow-minded tendency to find certain genres and/or mediums of entertainment foolish or beneath them, which ultimately causes much unfortunate friction when it comes to properties such as the Ninja Turtles that tend to branch out into all of these different iterations over and over again.I really appreciate what voice actors do, a shame it's looked down upon. If I understand correctly the four for the FW series have all done some acting before anyway.

ToTheNines
02-16-2017, 03:34 PM
To each their own. I just get irked when people are like, "Kevin Conroy was the best Batman!" and then weighing him directly against Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, Christian Bale, etc.'s portrayal. That's just plain dumb. Conroy did a Batman voice, possibly a great Batman voice. But that's all. He didn't "play" the character, the animators did that. I mean, rank him against other voice actors that've played Batman, that's fine... but the voice is just one component that makes up a character performance. One of many. It's probably not even the most important one (some of the best films out there have very little dialogue).

I mean, I know you have to put a lot of thought into a vocal performance. Inflection, tone, timing (although with cartoons the animators often figure out the timing after they get the vocals from the voice actors, not before, so there's not even really that) and even the voice you use. But... if you're actually playing the character live... you have to do all of those things AND add the whole physicality on top of it. You know, what expression you use, which quirks or ticks to add here or there, reading the actors you're acting with and how to adjust your performance, what way to stand, how you're going to grab the other guy, or actually acting out a love scene or going through the choreography of a fight scene... that's very different than just sitting in a chair doing a voice. It doesn't mean that voice acting is garbage and it doesn't mean that voice actor fanboys are wrong or dumb, it just means that voice acting quantifiably can't be held on the same pedestal or scale as "the real thing" but a lot of people like to act like it does. Hell, you don't even have to memorize your lines with voice acting... there they are, right in front of you.

Who knows, maybe Kevin Conroy could physically put on a Batman costume and act out an intense scene with Jack Nicholson or Michael Caine better than Keaton or Bale. Maybe. I don't know. I do know he was pretty crappy live in "Yoga Hosers."

Yeah. From a critical standpoint, each medium should be ranked/compared separately. But there's nothing wrong with TAS Batman being your favorite Batman.

And I think most fans know the voice is only one aspect of the character, just as the actor is one of many components that make up the live-action character. Me personally, I'd be more into meeting Timm, Dini, or Andrea Romano than him, but it'd still be cool.

Jephael
02-21-2017, 05:57 PM
I just get irked when people are like, "Kevin Conroy was the best Batman!" and then weighing him directly against Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, Christian Bale, etc.'s portrayal. That's just plain dumb. Conroy did a Batman voice, possibly a great Batman voice. But that's all. He didn't "play" the character, the animators did that. I mean, rank him against other voice actors that've played Batman, that's fine... but the voice is just one component that makes up a character performance. One of many. It's probably not even the most important one (some of the best films out there have very little dialogue).

Interesting point, though at the same time it helps to have good actors who can bring a certain style of personality to a character like Bruce Wayne in animation form. It definitely stands out more when Conroy's involved in an ensemble team series like Justice League Unlimited as opposed to just watching him as Batman go it alone. Heck, even stories where it's him with just Superman prove to make for some really awesome banter. I get that you're more invested in the action component of these characters, but at the same time, it's nice to see them at moments when they just try to be ordinary people.

Andrew NDB
02-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I get that you're more invested in the action component of these characters

When did I ever say that? How could that even be inferred from anything I've said?

Jephael
02-21-2017, 06:33 PM
When did I ever say that? How could that even be inferred from anything I've said?

I kinda base that assumption off of your main interests (TMNT, Green Lantern and Highlander) Had we ever discussed prime time sitcoms to an extant, than I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion.