PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Universe #5 Preview & Discussion

AlZarkovski
12-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Preview (and interview!) here (http://comicsalliance.com/tmnt-universe-chris-mowry-interview/)!

neatoman
12-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Who wrote "Beebop Sux" on that wall?

In all seriousness though, it'll be interesting to see what Hun's new thing is, now that he's no longer in charge of the Dragons.

ProphetofGanja
12-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Who wrote "Beebop Sux" on that wall?

In all seriousness though, it'll be interesting to see what Hun's new thing is, now that he's no longer in charge of the Dragons.

Dog fights, probably

neatoman
12-19-2016, 09:43 AM
Dog fights, probably

Yeah of course, but I can't help to think there's more going on here.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-19-2016, 10:41 AM
This is gonna be great! Hun versus Hob and Leatherhead!

I've been super-hyped for this since we first saw it in Solicitations... bring it on!!!

CyberCubed
12-19-2016, 12:37 PM
So now that Hun lost the Purple Dragons, lost being part of Shredder's army, and got knocked out by Slash...this is all he has left...dog fights. :lol:

Man, Hun is seeing the lowest of lows of the fallout of all of Shredder's minions after issue 50.

ChosenOne
12-19-2016, 12:41 PM
So now that Hun lost the Purple Dragons, lost being part of Shredder's army, and got knocked out by Slash...this is all he has left...dog fights. :lol:

Man, Hun is seeing the lowest of lows of the fallout of all of Shredder's minions after issue 50.

Casey was at a low point too until very recently, and he turned himself around. I shudder to think what Hun's version of that might be...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-19-2016, 12:42 PM

I really hope they eventually wrap up Hun for good. He's really been diminishing returns for me for awhile now and I really feel like he needs permanent closure (especially for Casey's story).

CyberCubed
12-19-2016, 12:43 PM
I really hope they eventually wrap up Hun for good. He's really been diminishing returns for me for awhile now and I really feel like he needs permanent closure (especially for Casey's story).

I kinda agree there doesn't seem much to do with him anymore. I don't think he needs to die like Darius Dun, but just see him get arrested once and for all.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-19-2016, 12:47 PM
I kinda agree there doesn't seem much to do with him anymore. I don't think he needs to die like Darius Dun, but just see him get arrested once and for all.

We do need at least one final grand showdown between him and Casey, fighting over the Purple Dragons.

And then Hun needs to go to prison or die. But it's time for his grand sendoff. Really, as much as I liked the #53-54 story arc with Hob and Hun, it really seems like Hun ran his course in Vengeance. Seeing him carted off to prison would've been a nice end.

Utrommaniac
12-19-2016, 02:59 PM
I see Leatherhead managed to get his belt off...there goes my hope of Xeinos potentially showing up and removing it for him.
But man, does his getup look cool on him.

Also looking forward to him throwing down the guys with that dog. At least, he ought to.

ProphetofGanja
12-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Well, that was a different issue, ultimately pretty low-key but still a nice little spotlight. I liked the character development.

I love Hob, that grumpy old cat. I hope he continues to grow as a "person".

Leatherhead, on the other hand, is soo messed up. As a therapist I know that someone would have their work cut out for them trying to help him work through his self-loathing issues! Geez.

MikeandRaph87
12-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Would you label Leatherhead as evil or like Hob and Bishop a dark shade of gray?

ProphetofGanja
12-21-2016, 09:39 AM
Hmm, good question.

Even using an alignment chart like this, Leatherhead is hard to place
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/129/679/fb4.png

What do you guys think?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Damn, Leatherhead really is messed up in the head, isn't he? :tsad: And of course Hun gets away... We all knew he would.

ProphetofGanja
12-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Damn, Leatherhead really is messed up in the head, isn't he? :tsad: And of course Hun gets away... We all knew he would.

I found myself hoping Leatherhead would just bite him in half or end him some other way. I feel like Hun's course is run, his story is at a nice finishing point. We don't need to rehash everything we witnessed between Hun and Casey during City Fall, Vengeance, et cetera. Sometimes a character's end doesn't need to be super dramatic, it can just happen.

Of course, IDW could have interesting plans for him in the future. I thought he was going to end up in jail after his close call with the law a while back, so who knows.

ChosenOne
12-21-2016, 11:09 AM
"Messed up in the head" is the best possible way to describe Leatherhead. He's not so above it all as he likes to think, though, or he wouldn't have intervened to stop the dog fights. If he's motivated by something, then by definition he's not just an unnatural monster with a death wish.

I look forward to seeing his continued development in the future. His next meeting with the Turtles should be interesting enough, not to mention if/when he crosses the path of other major players and his reaction to them. Such an intriguing character!

Hun is sort of a necessity at this point, we need minor, street-level crime bosses in play to keep things varied and interesting. They can't all be masterminds bent on city or world domination!

This issue is Universe at its best, I think. Low-key, intimate, small-scale story with plenty of food for thought.

Technogeek29
12-21-2016, 11:17 AM
So Leatherhead is dangerously smart, like crazy smart. And he has the memory of a elephant. He sketched the Turtles & Hob from only one meeting. And mapped NY from underground with barely any landmarks.:o:o:o

Not a scientist but definitely a really intuitive and clever in his own way...And completely insane.

EDIT: I love LH's dare to Hob when he took two steps instead of one.

CyberCubed
12-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Really nice issue and I liked Leatherhead getting some focus and not joining up with Hob.

I do have to say though, Slash and Leatherhead are a bit too similar in this series. Hob even pointed it out in the comic. I know Leatherhead is more destructive and self-loathing, but his anger over characters fighting is also very similar to Slash. Its why a lot of people feel Slash had Leatherhead's role in IDW for so long which is why it took them 50 issues to introduce Leatherhead because they would be covering similar ground.

They could have gone with the whole cajun-styled Leatherhead to differentiate him more. Either way I hope Leatherhead doesn't join the Mutanimals eventually because it sets him apart better.

Technogeek29
12-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Really nice issue and I liked Leatherhead getting some focus and not joining up with Hob.

I do have to say though, Slash and Leatherhead are a bit too similar in this series. Hob even pointed it out in the comic. I know Leatherhead is more destructive and self-loathing, but his anger over characters fighting is also very similar to Slash. Its why a lot of people feel Slash had Leatherhead's role in IDW for so long which is why it took them 50 issues to introduce Leatherhead because they would be covering similar ground.

They could have gone with the whole cajun-styled Leatherhead to differentiate him more. Either way I hope Leatherhead doesn't join the Mutanimals eventually because it sets him apart better.

Doesn't Hun mentioned he has an accent? Calling him Al Gator and such.

DrSpengler
12-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #5 at TMNT Entity. (http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2016/12/tmnt-universe-5.html)

That was a nice complement to TMNT #65; they sort of form a two-parter in their own way.

The issue had some surprises in it, like Leatherhead choosing to go it alone, though I didn't quite go for Hun as a sniveling coward. Maybe the ooze that gave him back all his strength is wearing off? I couldn't tell if he looked scrawnier or not in this issue since Leatherhead was so huge.

The "twist" at the end of the backup was eh, but I liked how it tied into Leo's and April's assignment from Splinter in TMNT #61. I do hope the next back-up is a bit more traditionally structured, though.

MikeandRaph87
12-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Hmm, good question.

Even using an alignment chart like this, Leatherhead is hard to place
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/129/679/fb4.png

What do you guys think?

I want him to be evil,plain and simply yet its not the case. of the choices I see chaotic neutral as a fit for IDW's version. Agree or disagree?

DestronMirage22
12-21-2016, 12:45 PM
This issue summarizes what I've been wanting from Universe; non-turtles stories that help to add character to those who aren't the main cast.

I like how Leatherhead's still a smart guy, but still kinda messed up in the head.

I agree with what some have said about Hun. Seems like his story should've been finished a little while ago, but hopefully there's more in store for him.

CyberCubed
12-21-2016, 12:47 PM
This issue summarizes what I've been wanting from Universe; non-turtles stories that help to add character to those who aren't the main cast. .

Yep, we definitely need an issue for Karai/Koya/Bludgeon in Japan soon. Its been so long. :P

DestronMirage22
12-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Yep, we definitely need an issue for Karai/Koya/Bludgeon in Japan soon. Its been so long. :P

Definitely. The trio certainly have good story potential, and a Japan based story would certainly add more variety.

neatoman
12-21-2016, 01:06 PM
What the hell is Leatherhead wearing? Some kind of sack with holes ripped out?
More to the point, will the wall of crazy play into the main story?

ProphetofGanja
12-21-2016, 01:27 PM

Definitely. The trio certainly have good story potential, and a Japan based story would certainly add more variety.

yaaas, kween, yas

I have missed the antics of Bebop and Rocksteady while under command of Karai. The Bebop and Rocksteady one-shot was solid gold

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-21-2016, 04:59 PM

How can you keep saying Slash and Leatherhead are too similar in THIS series? They have barely anything in common.

IDW's portrayal of Slash has been extremely similar to the Mirage, 4Kids, and Nick portrayals of Leatherhead, but THIS Leatherhead, IDW's Leatherhead, is nothing like him.

ChosenOne
12-21-2016, 05:10 PM
I think, if anything, this issue gave solid evidence that IDW Slash and IDW Leatherhead are nothing alike apart from their hulking size and tremendous power. Leatherhead's characterization was like nothing I've ever seen or read about before in this franchise, and there are very few characters like him outside of it too. Thanos and the Joker come to mind. Not entirely alike, of course, but they do share some personality traits like their twisted intelligence, unpredictability, and utter disregard for their own lives in extreme occasions.

The first TMNT comic I ever read in my life was Leatherhead's debut in Archie, so believe me when I say this issue left me more stoked than ever to see more of him in IDW. What a character! He's gonna be the spanner in a lot of works in the future, methinks.

ToTheNines
12-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Wow, great issue. I would totally dig an Old Hob ongoing by this creative team. I know it'll never happen, just dreaming.

What do you guys think?

LH is definitely "chaotic neutral".

How can you keep saying Slash and Leatherhead are too similar in THIS series? They have barely anything in common.

IDW's portrayal of Slash has been extremely similar to the Mirage, 4Kids, and Nick portrayals of Leatherhead, but THIS Leatherhead, IDW's Leatherhead, is nothing like him.

Totally agreed.

Utrommaniac
12-21-2016, 07:50 PM
My, Leatherhead is quite the little artist XD . Able to do lineart in concrete with his freakin' claws. Next to a comically simple doodle of Krang too.

But yeah...Leatherhead and Slash are close to nothing alike in IDW, save from brutish strength. The biggest difference being that Leatherhead has total control of his rampages and Slash does not. He knows what he's doing completely.

This was not the story I was expecting, but it was still pretty cool.

myconius
12-21-2016, 09:11 PM
those guys kicking the dog was pretty heartbreaking.

seeing them haul out the body of the "loser" from the last match was also a hard scene to take.
and when Leatherhead and Hob sent Hun and his goons packing the dog kickers got away without a scratch.

i enjoyed the wordless panels in the beginning of the issue. it felt very Mirage-like.

glad my suspicions for the back-up story were wrong.
still it was a pretty cool twist, and i liked the transition of art-styles at the end.

Ninjinister
12-22-2016, 01:24 AM
I like Leatherhead's outfit here. It reminds be of Turtles in Time Reshelled, which is my favorite LH design ever.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/6/67/Reshelledlh.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120730005729

Technogeek29
12-22-2016, 03:27 AM
I like Leatherhead's outfit here. It reminds be of Turtles in Time Reshelled, which is my favorite LH design ever.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/6/67/Reshelledlh.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120730005729

Looking at it now, it sort of reminds me of Luke Cage.

myconius
12-22-2016, 10:13 AM
the way Leatherhead's been presented, he's probably one of the coolest supporting cast members right now.

looking forward to seeing what happens when he comes across Bishop and his men.
i'm thinking one might just end up being the other's undoing?

MikeandRaph87
12-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Finally having a chance to read it thoroughly, I see Leatherhead thinks mutants are an anomaly and should not exist. Hob on the other hand thinks humans are evil and the perfect reason for him to think so is dog fighting. Mutants need to stick together vs sulk in nothingness. LH is messed up and Hob actually has a point.

I did like Leatherhead's new clothing as its an update of the 1987 cartoon and Archie Adventures shared design.

As far as Leatherhead's drawings on the sewer wall, would it not allude to 'Trial of Krang'? Both TMNT and Mutanimals retreat New York for Burnow Island due to it being inhospitable to humans and going to Dimension X,the TMNT at least are key witnesses.

myconius
12-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Finally having a chance to read it thoroughly, I see Leatherhead thinks mutants are an anomaly and should not exist. Hob on the other hand thinks humans are evil and the perfect reason for him to think so is dog fighting. Mutants need to stick together vs sulk in nothingness. LH is messed up and Hob actually has a point.

I did like Leatherhead's new clothing as its an update of the 1987 cartoon and Archie Adventures shared design.

As far as Leatherhead's drawings on the sewer wall, would it not allude to 'Trial of Krang'? Both TMNT and Mutanimals retreat New York for Burnow Island due to it being inhospitable to humans and going to Dimension X,the TMNT at least are key witnesses.

but did you notice, Hob still was trying to have a connection with Hun?
i mean sure Hob was pissed, but the way he was talking to Hun seemed like he wasn't completely finished with him.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-22-2016, 07:06 PM
but did you notice, Hob still was trying to have a connection with Hun?
i mean sure Hob was pissed, but the way he was talking to Hun seemed like he wasn't completely finished with him.

I found that interesting as well.

I'm assuming it's just Bobby and Tom have mandated that Hun can't be killed yet (due to whatever future plans might be in store for him) and thus had to come up with an excuse...

myconius
12-22-2016, 07:11 PM
I found that interesting as well.

I'm assuming it's just Bobby and Tom have mandated that Hun can't be killed yet (due to whatever future plans might be in store for him) and thus had to come up with an excuse...

that one of the many things i love about the series, is that nothing is in absolute B&W.
there are many shades of gray as far as the character's motivations and intentions go.
i'm very much interested if maybe Hob has developed a soft spot for his pet human? :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-22-2016, 07:22 PM
that one of the many things i love about the series, is that nothing is in absolute B&W.
there are many shades of gray as far as the character's motivations and intentions go.
i'm very much interested if maybe Hob has developed a soft spot for his pet human? :lol:

Hob did develop a soft spot for his pet human: her name is Lindsay. :trazz:

Hun is just a necessary evil and a tool.

myconius
12-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Hob did develop a soft spot for his pet human: her name is Lindsay. :trazz:

Hun is just a necessary evil and a tool.

very good point about Lindsay.

though i do feel Hun has become Hob's stray that he picked up along the way, and throws food scraps to. :lol:

CyberCubed
12-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Hun working with Hob was surprisingly short lived. Hob and Herman busted Hun out of the jailcar in the issue 49-50 climax...then we just saw him working with him in that 2-parter Mutanimals issue then Slash knocked him out. And now he's here apparently severed all ties with him.

Kinda wish Hun just stayed in that jail car if he doesn't have anything bigger planned for him at this point.