PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for Christmas?

Prowler
12-21-2016, 04:27 AM
This year, it falls on a weekend. Both the Christmas Eve and Christmas day itself.

I'll stay home, as usual. I don't celebrate Christmas nowadays. I just want it to be over and want the year to end.

What about you? Doing anything for Christmas? And how do you feel about this holiday in general?

Krutch
12-21-2016, 05:42 AM
Same. Do my usual and drink rum+eggnog while watching my xmas playlist...
http://i63.tinypic.com/dnn7np.jpg

Powder
12-21-2016, 06:01 AM
I will probably sit in front of my laptop & mope, just another day. But I always watch We Wish You A Turtles Christmas, at least. That's my one tradition.

Prowler
12-21-2016, 09:05 AM
I will probably sit in front of my laptop & mope, just another day. But I always watch We Wish You A Turtles Christmas, at least. That's my one tradition.
Honestly, I don't have any "Christmas tradition". I used to have a Summer tradition somewhat which consisted of re-watching the Fred Wolf series all the way throughout the Summer, but Christmas? Nothing really in particular I do on that day. I can't wait to go stock up on food tomorrow and on Friday... not :roll:

ToTheNines
12-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Dealing with my girlfriend and my family fighting over how/where I spend the 24th and 25th. Yay.

Mzx10484
12-21-2016, 11:00 AM
CHRiSTMAS iS PEACEFUL POTHEAD TiME

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a449/HeroTurtle84/pothead.thumbnail_zpsfto4bm4p.jpg

DarkFell
12-21-2016, 12:09 PM
I'll be working on Christmas Eve and chillin' with my family on Christmas Day.

Candy Kappa
12-21-2016, 12:14 PM
On the 23rd known as Little Yule Eve, I got the day off from work. So I'll just chill, watch cartoons cozy up with some hot chocolate and warm blankets. The only time I'm getting outside is for walking the dog.

On Yule Eve I'm celebrating with my mom, so we're staying at my grandma's place with family, having dinner (Yule ribs) and opening gifts, we open our gifts on Yule Eve and not the morning after in Norway. On First Yule Day we are staying at my partner's family for dinner and on the Second Yule Day we are visiting my dad and his new girlfriend.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
12-21-2016, 04:12 PM
This year, it falls on a weekend. Both the Christmas Eve and Christmas day itself.

I'll stay home, as usual. I don't celebrate Christmas nowadays. I just want it to be over and want the year to end.

What about you? Doing anything for Christmas? And how do you feel about this holiday in general?

Don't you even exchange some Christmas presents with family and friends? Or put up a Christmas tree or nativity scene? No need for hyping it up.

IndigoErth
12-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Just our little Christmas at home with the immediate family. We've had dinner at a Chinese buffet for a number of years and will again. Though I miss doing actual Christmas dinner and the days of having Christmas Part 2 at my grandparent's place are long gone.

Last year was the first without my father. This year will be the first with my nephew. I wrapped a few of his gifts in just tissue paper so he can figure out how to tear it open himself. Something to keep him occupied for a few.

As for Christmas Eve, I likewise have to work, but fortunately I have a short 4 1/2 hour early shift and will be done by 12:30pm. My long backbreaking hours are during the week. Luckily I don't close on any of these days, but it's surprising how busy it is getting during during work hours (other people's work hours).

Andrew NDB
12-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Watching my kid open stuff. Myself, acting super gracious when given socks and ties and such.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-21-2016, 07:41 PM
The same thing we do EVERY night, Pinky....

plastroncafe
12-21-2016, 07:49 PM
We open presents on Christmas Eve, then get up stupid early the next morning to start cooking Christmas Dinner.
Both will involve booze in various quantities.

Somewhere during the three day weekend I need to find time to rewatch: Love Actually, Die Hard, and Hogfather.

Powder
12-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Don't you even exchange some Christmas presents with family and friends? Or put up a Christmas tree or nativity scene? No need for hyping it up.

My family stopped doing it a few years ago. It's mostly commercial nonsense, big corporations manipulating your emotions in order to get you to buy more crap that nobody needs. suppose a bit of harmless decorating can bring cheer, but at least in our case, it's sort of an all or nothing sorta thing. You put up a tree with no gifts & it feels kinda crappy, ya know?

FredWolfLeonardo
12-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Watching my kid open stuff. Myself, acting super gracious when given socks and ties and such.

Atleast you didn't get gifted a copy of a certain "film" :P That's fully enough to be gracious for

Andrew NDB
12-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Atleast you didn't get gifted a copy of a certain "film" :P That's fully enough to be gracious for

Hey, I can always use burning material for my fire pit outside.

Prowler
12-22-2016, 03:45 AM
No. I might give a gift or two to my close family members and that's about it.

I never put up a tree. Someone else eventually does it, though.

Icebot
12-22-2016, 06:44 AM
I'm working both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. But I get to go to a Christmas party after my shift ends on Christmas Eve so it's cool.

12-22-2016, 06:56 AM
No. I might give a gift or two to my close family members and that's about it.

I never put up a tree. Someone else eventually does it, though.

If you're in Portugal, are you Roman Catholic? Or just go to church?

ToTheNines
12-22-2016, 08:20 AM

I guarantee someone will get it for me. I don't see myself ever subjecting my brain to that turd again, but it can go on the TMNT shelf for completion's sake.

IndigoErth
12-22-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm surprised they aren't pushing that film for Christmas sales to try to squeeze the last of what they can out of it.

You put up a tree with no gifts & it feels kinda crappy, ya know?
Aw :ohwell: Good point.

There's ways to still do it a little I suppose, in sensible, non-extravagant ways, such as sticking to edible gifts that won't take up space for long, wrapping gift cards in boxes, and maybe a few items that are actually needed.

Even if it was just me all alone I don't think I could stand not having a tree up and having a reason to get out the ornaments that are meaningful to me. I'd probably just treat myself to one thing I really want, but not allow myself to actually have it until Christmas.

Prowler
12-22-2016, 11:44 AM
If you're in Portugal, are you Roman Catholic? Or just go to church?
I'm an Atheist and so are my closest family members.

I don't know what Catholics do on Christmas.

12-22-2016, 03:49 PM
I don't know what Catholics do on Christmas.

Like any other. If they go to church, I guess you know what's going on at any Christian chruch during Christmastime (A priest is reading the Chrismas gospel in the Bible and the visitors sing songs about Jesus and the night he was born), except the Jehovah's Witnesses who don't officially celebrate holidays like Christmas or Easter.

DarkFell
12-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Oh, and I also found out what else I will be doing on Christmas Eve - last minute shopping!

This seems to be something of a tradition among my family. I plan to survive this, but wish us luck anyway. :tlol:

blindturtle02
12-22-2016, 05:32 PM
My mom came down to TX, so I've actually been doing quite a bit of cooking and shopping. She's tasked my other half and me with making a tater tot casserole etc for Sunday since we're eating with a bunch of kids who polished off over half a turkey during Thanksgiving. There will be another bird as well as a brisket, but ya never know. The desserts also disappear at top speed even though everybody brings something. It's to be expected since there are almost twenty people around the place. I bought enough ingreedients to make two chocolate chip cakes. I believe in being prepared to feed an army. We're no where near done gift shopping yet, and I think we'll be doing a lot last minute, but I guess it's all part of the TX tradition.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-22-2016, 06:38 PM
I'll vouch for that. Holidays are a big deal in my family. I was working over the weekend when they had our get-together, so I missed out on the food and all this year. It will be just me and the Mr. No tree or anything this year just a nice dinner for two.

Candy Kappa
12-23-2016, 12:58 PM
A important tradition here in Norway is to see the 1973 movie Tři ořÝšky pro Popelku dubbed over by one guy in Norwegian, and see the black & white 1963 Dinner for One sketch.

Prowler
12-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Like any other. If they go to church, I guess you know what's going on at any Christian chruch during Christmastime (A priest is reading the Chrismas gospel in the Bible and the visitors sing songs about Jesus and the night he was born), except the Jehovah's Witnesses who don't officially celebrate holidays like Christmas or Easter.
I figured it would be something like that.

Never been inside a church except as a tourist(Notre Dame in Paris, per example). And I certainly didn't go there to attend mass.

Allio
12-23-2016, 09:49 PM
With one snort of coke for every year.

In a few more years I should be able to kill myself

DestronMirage22
12-23-2016, 09:53 PM

Isn't life just grand? :lol:

Prowler
12-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Pretty sure you said something like this in another thread. And then you said you were joking, I believe?

CyberCubed
12-24-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm playing Bloodborne on New Game+

Time well spent.

THGhost
12-24-2016, 05:03 PM
At home with the family exchanging gifts, getting drunk and watching **** telly. :P

And then I suppose there's always the Queen's speech to watch. :roll:

Just turned midnight here. So Merry Christmas from the UK, Technodrome! :D

http://img09.deviantart.net/166c/i/2009/001/6/8/tmnt_secret_santa_by_alisa006.jpg

Allio
12-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Pretty sure you said something like this in another thread. And then you said you were joking, I believe?

Luckily, I was able to find the birthday thread.

Prowler
12-25-2016, 05:23 AM
I guess I gotta check my Animal Crossing town today.

Utrommaniac
12-25-2016, 12:44 PM
We did gifts on Christmas Eve afternoon, which is unusual

Mostly because my family's scattered between working or housework...the goal to eradicate fleas. Today's going to be fun~

IndigoErth
12-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Slight change of plans; still having Chinese for dinner, but as takeout we're waiting for delivery on. Nephew was sick yesterday with a stomach bug, sister has it now so we're just staying in. (Though I don't really mind, some years I'd have rather done this anyhow.)

Merry Christmas, all. :tgrin:

https://41.media.tumblr.com/034141a6a42d52c7e59d8cb74ea8bf29/tumblr_inline_nz2hucLHzv1tafq9t_540.jpg

Katie
12-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Stryker and I are at my mom's house with his little brother. He's a saint for dealing with my crazy sister-in-law. We did church last night and this morning. Breakfast pizza and cinnamon buns then a big old country Christmas dinner and mayhem opening presents with my niece and nephew. :D

Good time had by all.

Merry Christmas all!

Powder
12-25-2016, 05:44 PM
I made chicken salad wraps & watched Scrooged. Now I'm gonna do some commissions, after which I will see about taking advantage of the ongoing Steam sale.

snake
12-25-2016, 05:56 PM
I made chicken salad wraps & watched Scrooged. Now I'm gonna do some commissions, after which I will see about taking advantage of the ongoing Steam sale.

Scrooged! Love it. It's such an underrated Christmas movie, y'know?

MsMarvelDuckie
12-25-2016, 09:26 PM
A classic! My second favorite Christmas movie, after White Christmas!

Well we had a last minute invite to my grandmother's for dinner today. Still had a dinner for two last night after I got off work, (he did au gratin potatoes and I made a glazed ham- the glaze was my own creation and turned out AEWSOME) then this morning my mom's cousin and her husband picked us up and we rode up to grandma's. I took a nap while we waited for my uncle to get there with the turkey (and another ham- I think I am going to be hammed out lol) and then my mom showed up to surprise everyone (except me; I talked to her last night on the phone and she said they came back from their camping trip early because it was supposed to rain where they were, and she told me she was coming). So we opened our gift from grandma and got to see my uncle and talk to my cousin who is stationed in Kuwait on the phone. I am so proud of him and his brother; they are both in the military now- one's a helicopter electrician in Korea and the one in Kuwait is a radar technician for Patriot missles (both really cool jobs!)- and these are the same boys who snuck into our room and opened my Star Wars figures and then lied about it when they were kids....

Powder
12-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Scrooged! Love it. It's such an underrated Christmas movie, y'know?

One of the few Bill Murray classics I hadn't seen before, actually. Yeah, it was really really good. I knew it would be, but it far exceeded my expectations. Very impassioned performance on Bill's part, but those practical FX! Damn.

Prowler
12-26-2016, 05:00 AM
And Christmas is over. It was just another day. Nothing much. Now I'm waiting for 2017, even though I don't celebrate New Year's.

Candy Kappa
12-26-2016, 05:43 AM
Today I'm visiting my dad, last Yuleday. I'm hoping we'll have pinnekj°tt (stick meat), but my partner don't like it so maybe Yulerib.

12-26-2016, 04:22 PM
I figured it would be something like that.

Never been inside a church except as a tourist(Notre Dame in Paris, per example). And I certainly didn't go there to attend mass.

Aren't you even baptized?

Prowler
12-31-2016, 06:48 AM
Might as well use this thread to ask you guys what you're doing for New Year's. I'll "celebrate" it on Animal Crossing.

Aren't you even baptized?
Nope. If my parents are agnostic/atheist why would they baptise me?

IndigoErth
12-31-2016, 11:18 AM
Family tradition just to have big plates of nachos at home for dinner and watch the ball drop in Times Square.

My options this year are either a) stay up and enjoy that and forfeit a bunch of sleep prior to work, or b) forfeit New Years Eve. :tsad: Will probably stay up and then just have to go to bed immediately after and then take god knows how long to actually fall asleep... I hate that New Years Day isn't a day off like it used to be when I was growing up; never got to enjoy that as a working person.

01-05-2017, 05:11 AM
Might as well use this thread to ask you guys what you're doing for New Year's. I'll "celebrate" it on Animal Crossing.

Nope. If my parents are agnostic/atheist why would they baptise me?

It's a cultural thing in the western world for many parents to baptize their children, even if you aren't active in church or have any pronounced Christian faith.

Baptism is a requirement for confirmation if the child himself or herself wants to do that in his or her teens.

Prowler
01-05-2017, 08:58 AM
It's a cultural thing in the western world for many parents to baptize their children, even if you aren't active in church or have any pronounced Christian faith.

Baptism is a requirement for confirmation if the child himself or herself wants to do that in his or her teens.
I don't even know what confirmation is.

It might be a cultural thing, but my parents simply don't care about religion, so why would they want me and my brother to partake in a religious ritual and thus get our names attached to a church?

My parents didn't even marry through a church.

01-05-2017, 10:18 AM
I don't even know what confirmation is.

It might be a cultural thing, but my parents simply don't care about religion, so why would they want me and my brother to partake in a religious ritual and thus get our names attached to a church?

My parents didn't even marry through a church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation

Candy Kappa
01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Confirmation is pretty big in Norway, primarily due to the huge money sums the kids can rake in, since it's customary to give gift to the Confirmist. So some kids do baptize just to do it.

Although Civil Confirmations are gaining in popularity, it's what I did when I was 15.

01-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Confirmation is pretty big in Norway, primarily due to the huge money sums the kids can rake in, since it's customary to give gift to the Confirmist.

Or any gift. A lot of teenagers in Sweden do Lutheran confirmation in the Church of Sweden because of getting a moped. Sinc the Church of Sweden mostly baptizes infants, most are already baptized.