PDA

View Full Version : The Eastman/Laird split and sale

RaphaelsIsolation
12-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know anymore details on the sale that Laird bought out Eastman?

It states in the Ultimate Visual History that he bought out Eastman in 1999, and that Eastman kept a small piece until 2008.

Anyone know anything else about it? How much he got for his stake? etc?

TMNT from 1998-2001 is very very scarce and not much info on anything until the fall time of Vol 4.

CyberCubed
12-22-2016, 07:32 PM
More or less after the failure of the Next Mutation series in 1997-1998, which Kevin had a hand in, he shifted focus to Heavy Metal magazine and sold the rights to Peter. Kevin didn't really have anything to do with TMNT in that time, as in 2001 Peter Laird started Volume 4 of the comics and then the 4kids cartoon began in 2003.

Kevin only returned to the franchise around 2011 when IDW asked him if he wanted to get involved, and he said yes.

RaphaelsIsolation
12-23-2016, 07:32 AM
Yeah I knew all of that Cube. I'm interested in the 1999 buyout, is their an article somewhere I don't know about? How much did Kevin sell his stake for?

Just stuff like that I'm curious about. It doesn't really matter at this point but I'd like to know.

Andrew NDB
12-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know anymore details on the sale that Laird bought out Eastman?

It states in the Ultimate Visual History that he bought out Eastman in 1999, and that Eastman kept a small piece until 2008.

I'm not sure what "small piece" that would be. As far as we've ever been told Kevin Eastman sold his half of the rights to Laird in 2000 and said "that's that" with the TMNT, until shortly before IDW got going.

MikeandRaph87
12-23-2016, 12:36 PM
December 8th,2000 was the official sale date. Peter's first movevwas to remove Venus. Kevin told me he kept a 5% fincial stake in all sales and got one of every single thing TMNT produced. Kevin tried to sale that on Ebay but it never hit the miniumum. I know its not much to add, but its all I know. I got the Eastman info from the man himself.

Roseangelo
12-23-2016, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure what "small piece" that would be. As far as we've ever been told Kevin Eastman sold his half of the rights to Laird in 2000 and said "that's that" with the TMNT, until shortly before IDW got going.

He still had a small piece that allowed him some amount of residuals. This was mentioned as an aside when the 2007 movie came out. And then there was a press release on Mirage's website when the buyout became 100%.

I've never seen any numbers regarding either sale to Peter.

Andrew NDB
12-23-2016, 01:04 PM
He still had a small piece that allowed him some amount of residuals. This was mentioned as an aside when the 2007 movie came out. And then there was a press release on Mirage's website when the buyout became 100%.

The timing of this makes me wonder if this was Peter (and/or Gary Richardson) pushing Kevin to lose that last little bit of his rights because of the Viacom/Nickelodeon deal. I also wonder how on the up and up the whole last thing was... i.e., if Kevin had known that his last little bit of rights to TMNT was the one thing holding up the deal with Viacom/Nickelodeon, he'd have probably been able to ask for and get quite a bit more money than whatever it was he got out of Peter.

Or maybe the deal with Peter in 2000 was just, "I sell you my half of the TMNT rights now, but for 8 years I am allowed to collect residuals for my work." And 2008 rolled around and that expired.

oldmanwinters
12-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I'd totally pay money for a tell-all book on the behind-the-scenes politics at Mirage. Perhaps Steve Murphy would be the ideal guy to write it or else provide the core memoirs.

RaphaelsIsolation
12-23-2016, 03:28 PM
I'd totally pay money for a tell-all book on the behind-the-scenes politics at Mirage. Perhaps Steve Murphy would be the ideal guy to write it or else provide the core memoirs.

Yeah I'm big on that stuff, I'd love to know more about it. Just what happened... stories... background arguments... anything really. Like what was going on behind the comic book this whole time. I'm sure there's enough for a book.

You know they probably had a couple bad fights and made up ya know?

I mean they are writing issues, then they are each doing separte issues, then they are together for RTNY then apart for a while, then together.

Just weird.

Tetsu Deinonychus
12-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Here's an interview with Eastman on "The Comics Journal" that covers a lot of that stuff. Although, half of it also focuses on Eastman's ambitious but failed comics company, Tundra, as well.

PART 1 (http://www.tcj.com/the-kevin-eastman-interview-part-i/)
PART 2 (http://www.tcj.com/the-kevin-eastman-interview-part-2/)

thebrownranger
12-24-2016, 07:46 PM

What ever happened to Murphy? Anybody have any idea what he's doing nowadays? I remember meeting him at NYCC '08. He was so distant from the rest of the Mirage crew.