PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about guys/men who don't like sports?

Prowler
12-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Many people all over the world love watching sports, me included. Been an avid football(soccer for some people) watcher since I was a kid. I've never really cared much to watch games of volleyball and handball, and only watched about 30-40 basketball games on TV in my whole life, but I like learning about sports and seeing good plays.

Even though tons of women like watching sports, it's associated with masculinity. Therefore many men who don't like sports are subjected to "really?" types of reactions form others when they reply "actually, I don't like sports" to the "so what's your favourite team?" question.

I personally couldn't care less if a guy(or a woman) like sports or not. As long as they respect me liking them and don't act pseudo-intellectualish about it, it's fine. I also find it funny how people use liking sports asa barometer for manliness when most avid sports watchers are probably couch potatoes. I'm far from being an athletic guy, so no way I'd make fun of someone who doesn't like watching sports on TV. It's like people miss the fact that just because someone doesn't watch ball games doesn't mean they don't like other types of sports, or that they don't engage in physical activities. And speaking of that, if you're a guy and suck at sports you're also bound to get made a fun a bit when you're younger.

As an anime fan, I notice from convos with many anime fans that the majority of them don't like sports as a whole. Honestly, I can't help but think that this is society forcing labels on people "you're either a nerd or a jock!" type of thing. I like video games, anime, heavy metal ,jazz and also watching football/soccer on tv. It just makes me a more well rounded individual with diverse tastes.

So, what's your take on this matter? And people who don't like sports, mainly guys, do you get looked at weirdly by others for not liking them? And what doesn't appeal you about them, exactly?

Cure
12-26-2016, 09:18 AM
I have never been given any problem for not liking sports.

TurtleTitan97
12-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Yeah, the same goes for me. Not a big sports fan.

plastroncafe
12-26-2016, 09:47 AM
I really don't think anyone cares if a person doesn't like sports. It's only when they become anti sport that there's usually an issue. People just love to yuck another person's yum.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
12-26-2016, 10:52 AM
It takes a brave male to say that he doesn't give a flying frak about watching sports of any kind. I am that brave male.

kaptainmyke
12-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Nope. No chill / Zero chill on the sports over here.

TheSkeletonMan939
12-26-2016, 11:04 AM
I was given sh!t for not liking sports in middle school.
I guess my dislike stems from never being much of a team player.

Prowler
12-26-2016, 11:17 AM
I really don't think anyone cares if a person doesn't like sports. It's only when they become anti sport that there's usually an issue. People just love to yuck another person's yum.
Well, there seems to be a vocal minority of non-sports fans who like to refer to it as Panem et circenses(bread and circus) and saying they're for the simple-minded .Simply because lots of people like sports and tend to get absorbed in them and possibly forget about more important things at the end of the day.

I was given sh!t for not liking sports in middle school.
I guess my dislike stems from never being much of a team player.
I was given sh!t when I was a kid/teenager for having zero athletic ability. Gym class wasn't very fun, since I was always the worst or one of the worst guys in class at most sports and everyone expected you to be as good as Ronaldinho or Michael Jordan. :roll:

Wesley
12-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Doesn't bother me. I'm not a big fan of sports myself. I'm a casual fan. I like watching football and gaa matches every now and then but don't have any interest in other sports such as rugby and boxing.

CyberCubed
12-26-2016, 12:40 PM
I don't watch/follow any sports at all. Sports was basically a thing before TV shows/movies/cartoons/videogames took off in popularity when your average person needed something to watch to root and cheer for.

ToTheNines
12-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Sports was basically a thing before TV shows/movies/cartoons/videogames took off in popularity when your average person needed something to watch to root and cheer for.

Yes, television shows and movies were never popular until recently and no one watches sports anymore.

Cure
12-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Sports just stopped existing.

sdp
12-26-2016, 03:41 PM
I enjoy watching a few Olympic sports every 4 years but I'm a very casual watcher of the Olympics. I used to think I hated sports but I wat'ts thinking of team sports which I don't like at all, maybe I'll enjoy an arcade team sports game from time to time but never liked them not even as a kid and you can probably guess correctly that I was terrible at them.

But I do like sports, I enjoy running, martial arts, swimming among other physical activities that don't involve putting a ball on some goal. I didn't use to consider them sports until recently even if I've always been a fan of them. I still don't like to watch said activities outside say the Olympics, I rather do them myself.

Powder
12-26-2016, 04:10 PM
I dislike sports & nobody has ever cared for the most part. I don't usually get along very well with people who are heavily into sports, but it's not that I judge them for it or whatever.

Mzx10484
12-26-2016, 04:10 PM
I don't watch sports, but I do sports for myself, to be consistent with body and mind. To answer your question, if someone looks at me weirdly because I don't watch soccer (except, more or less, world cup every 4 years), I look at this person and ask: What is your physical capacity? Sport is about accomplishment for me, not about entertainment. It is not important to sit in front of a TV and talk about the accomplishments of others. It is important what you do.

IndigoErth
12-26-2016, 06:02 PM
I would not at all mind being with a guy who doesn't sit yelling at the tv every weekend as if they could hear them. :trazz:

I respect that my father loved his football (U.S.), and in particular when his Eagles were playing, but that yelling and carrying on gets old. Fast.

Storm Eagle
12-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Hi. I'm Storm Eagle, and I'm a guy who doesn't follow sports.

If you have a problem with it, then you can go f*** yourself.

There. I said it.

Splinter the boss
12-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Everyone is different, I don't mind it. I have friends who don't watch sports.

Spike Spiegel
12-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Never was much of a sports guy myself, but I have worked in a part of the media industry that centers around sports, which helped me pay for graduate school. I respect the cultural impact/financial opportunities that sports can provide to athletes and the people who make them possible.

With that said, I don't care much for the elitist, dudebro culture that often comes with the territory. I also see some merit to the whole "bread and circuses" argument.

Having worked around college sports specifically, I was made well aware of the obscene amounts of money that go to coaches, administrators, etc. even as the students drown in debt and many of the instructors/profs make considerably less.

DestronMirage22
12-26-2016, 07:25 PM
I'm someone who doesn't like sports, so I don't care if others do or don't.
It shouldn't matter to anyone if one person likes something or not; we're all different and we each have our own opinions, nobody should be judged by difference of interests.

PApagreg
12-26-2016, 11:58 PM
I prefer playing sports over watching them(even if I kinda suck at playing sports) however I do love sports anime.

Prowler
12-27-2016, 06:08 AM
I prefer playing sports over watching them(even if I kinda suck at playing sports) however I do love sports anime.
It's interesting. I've noticed that many people dislike sports anime. Both people who like sports and those who don't. People who don't like sports don't care if they're less realistic in an anime. People who like sports find sports anime too unrealistic to enjoy them.

I personally like sports anime. Captain Tsubasa is forever the classic sports anime/manga. It is unrealistic as hell with each player having special shots that go for hundreds of km/h, but it's fun as hell. I also love Slam Dunk and like Kuroko no Basket. And I liked major despite knowing jack about baseball and most likely being unrealistic as hell as well.

Sports anime/manga also tend to have good character development as far as anime goes.

blindturtle02
12-27-2016, 08:25 AM
I have never been given any problem for not liking sports.

Yeah, same here.

PApagreg
12-28-2016, 07:00 PM
It's interesting. I've noticed that many people dislike sports anime. Both people who like sports and those who don't. People who don't like sports don't care if they're less realistic in an anime. People who like sports find sports anime too unrealistic to enjoy them.

I personally like sports anime. Captain Tsubasa is forever the classic sports anime/manga. It is unrealistic as hell with each player having special shots that go for hundreds of km/h, but it's fun as hell. I also love Slam Dunk and like Kuroko no Basket. And I liked major despite knowing jack about baseball and most likely being unrealistic as hell as well.

Sports anime/manga also tend to have good character development as far as anime goes.

Never really cared for Kurko no Basket but I did love Slam Dunk, you should check out Ping Pong The Animation its only eleven episodes

CyberCubed
12-29-2016, 01:25 AM
Watching scripted sports in TV shows and movies is even worse. Sadly no matter what franchise I watch there's always some point in it there's some sort of sports game going on and you have to sit through it. Kind of the same thing with racing scenes in movies/shows, etc.

plastroncafe
12-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Sports are just another fandom.
Which is why I find it so funny when fannish people are so vocally against them.

I know more than a couple of previously anti-sport people, both male and female, who have gotten very heavily into sports thanks to the fandom mindset.

It's usually soccer for the dudes, and ice hockey for the ladies.

Prowler
12-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Sports are just another fandom.
Which is why I find it so funny when fannish people are so vocally against them.

I know more than a couple of previously anti-sport people, both male and female, who have gotten very heavily into sports thanks to the fandom mindset.

It's usually soccer for the dudes, and ice hockey for the ladies.
Of course. Many guys don't realise that obsessing over the history of a certain sport and various clubs is actually a type of nerding as well. They just don't 'realise it because society doesn't look down on someone who is very knowledgeable about sports, which is amusing considering many big sports enthusiasts just watch them and aren't exactly in shape or good at them. I love football/soccer but SUCK at it and the last time I played it must have been a decade ago. Yet, people will think I'm weird for playing a lot of video games but won't for knowing which team won the 1981 European Cup Winner's Cup or lots of details about the foundation of a Greek sports club.

Watching scripted sports in TV shows and movies is even worse. Sadly no matter what franchise I watch there's always some point in it there's some sort of sports game going on and you have to sit through it. Kind of the same thing with racing scenes in movies/shows, etc.

I've never watched a live action movie about sports except Shaolin Soccer and some Chinese movie about Tibetans wanting to watch the 1998 World Cup.

As I've said, I like sports anime/manga.

Liking sports isn't always a good thing, though. When your team loses you'll get moody. Plus, I've seen people getting upset at their friends and even severing relationships with relatives and such due to both parties supporting a fierce rival side of the other.

In case you've heard people mentioning how fierce and nasty football/soccer rivalries in Europe and South America can be... well there's a reason behind that stereotype, I won't deny it.

Candy Kappa
12-29-2016, 01:25 PM
I don't think any more or less about people regarding their taste or lack of in sports.

I personally don't have much attachments to any sport genre. I find football boring and most ball sports besides volleyball which is fun to play but not watch. I used to watch some American Football as a kid, but beyond the tackles and the 3d animated players that did wacky things between matches it wasn't all that.

Rugby was fun to play back in my grade school years cause we basically played with no rules cause no one knew the rules :lol:

I'm more interested in Martial Arts, and even then I usually find the sports variants of the various schools/styles (kendo, sports Ju-Jutsu, etc) a bore to watch.

Powder
12-29-2016, 01:34 PM

I hate how many anime series do this, there's often times a baseball or track & field episode, if not one with various local Olympic events. ZZZZZ

Andrew NDB
12-29-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't have any interest in watching, like, NFL or NBA stuff. And watching baseball is about as much fun as watching paint dry (playing it? sure, that's fun).

It's not even games of skill, or games with teams that have players that are representing their home states... players are bought and traded across the whole country freely (not just their home state) and the resulting "teams" are just a study of which states had the most money to buy or keep the best players at the most opportune times. Which is a contest in... nothing. Nothing but economics. People are like, "Whaat? You hater!! How can you not be proud of the Seahawks! They're representing your state!" They're not. Not remotely. But good luck trying to explain that to any rabid, season passes fan.

MMA is always interesting. And I've always been a big boxing fan.

Prowler
12-29-2016, 03:50 PM
I don't have any interest in watching, like, NFL or NBA stuff. And watching baseball is about as much fun as watching paint dry (playing it? sure, that's fun).

It's not even games of skill, or games with teams that have players that are representing their home states... players are bought and traded across the whole country freely (not just their home state) and the resulting "teams" are just a study of which states had the most money to buy or keep the best players at the most opportune times. Which is a contest in... nothing. Nothing but economics. People are like, "Whaat? You hater!! How can you not be proud of the Seahawks! They're representing your state!" They're not. Not remotely. But good luck trying to explain that to any rabid, season passes fan.

MMA is always interesting. And I've always been a big boxing fan.
here in Europe Soccer had more parity before the 90s. Nowadays it's mostly Spanish, German, English and iIalian clubs who have any chance at any winning the Champions League. No way a Romanian or a Belgian club could do that now.

Also, there used to be a foreign players limit per league. That hasn't existed since the early/mid 90s so now you'll have cases of Portuguese teams with only like two Portuguese players and the rest all Brazilian, Argentinian and Serbian. Not to mention national teams forcing naturalizations of mercenary players. Per example, guys who aren't accepted by Brazil's national team(very hard to get into) so they'll naturalise themselves, let's say, Croatian or something in order to play in the World Cup someday. Pretty stupid.

Sports always start off asa working class pass time but eventually become a big business. Sadly, European Soccer has been getting more and more americanised lately.

Never cared for boxing. I tried to get into MMA by watching some UFC events back in Lesnar's day but it didn't hold my interest for long. Some fights were fun but too many of them had too much of "hugging in the corner" and I also never recognised over 90% of the card every time I watched a new event.

Andrew NDB
12-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Never cared for boxing. I tried to get into MMA by watching some UFC events back in Lesnar's day but it didn't hold my interest for long. Some fights were fun but too many of them had too much of "hugging in the corner"

That's true in boxing, too. But when there's a great fight, it's a great fight.

That last Pacquiao-Marquez fight is probably the best one I've seen in years. Good grief. Pacquiao lost, but what a fight. Bloody as hell too. Knockout, no bullsh*t waiting-for-decision.

Prowler
12-29-2016, 04:50 PM
That's true in boxing, too. But when there's a great fight, it's a great fight.

That last Pacquiao-Marquez fight is probably the best one I've seen in years. Good grief. Pacquiao lost, but what a fight. Bloody as hell too. Knockout, no bullsh*t waiting-for-decision.
Boxing's offensive is all on the punching. MMA at least is more diverse as do fighters come from more diverse fighting backgrounds.

Tbh, I prefer watching fights in movies and such than I do in real life. The closest thing to a combat sports I enjoy is pro wrestling. Because it is choreographed to entertain the viewer.

plastroncafe
12-29-2016, 04:52 PM
I prefer my fighting to take place while the combatants hold sticks and have knives strapped to their feet.

That's some good ol' time hockey, eh.

ToTheNines
01-01-2017, 02:06 PM

This is mainly why I'm not a passionate fan anymore.

I was a casual fan as a little kid, even caught a few Bears and Cubs games on Chicago before we moved to West Virginia. At some point in high school, I became a rabid fan of the 4 main sports, but 5 years later all of my favorite WVU players were gone and half the people on the field were younger than me.

By the time I hit 23, all of my favorite pro players have either retired or been traded a million times over. I still keep up with the Cubs and Blackhawks, and will watch a Bears game if nothing eise is going on, but you couldn't pay me to watch the Bulls at this point.

DisKosh
01-01-2017, 09:50 PM
I used to like them (mostly football and cricket - yes, I know what a crumpet is :P ) when I was younger but high school really put me off.

When I was a kid I tried to play football with the boys but no one took me seriously partly because I was a girl and partly because I wore a skirt (not my choice, my mum made me).

It's a difficult subject to discuss. Sometimes I've told people politely that they don't interest me only to be treated like I think I'm above them. Then again one of my ex-friends started ranting about how useless sports are and if he had a kid, he'd rather they'd pick science than sports (the arts are more his forte). I tried to tell him that some people just enjoy sports and that they can bring a lot of good but he only kept calling sports fans 'meatheads'.

Yeah, just each to their own, right?

Utrommaniac
01-01-2017, 10:02 PM
A man who doesn't like sports is high on my "yes" list.
I don't care for sports, especially the sporting industry, and I think college football is a blight on academia, especially in the bigger colleges (part of the reason for their massive tuition).

So it's practically a non-issue in my mind for men to not like sports.

TurtleWA
01-01-2017, 11:02 PM
I watched sports back when I was in school but usually only the ones I played. I could relate and found it interesting to study techniques seasoned professionals utilized. I think it's easier to publicly state indifference for something like sports now that I'm older. As a teen forget about it.

Now if I try to watch sports it's the opposite of interesting. I can't get invested in game play with all the commercial interruptions. And the announcers sharing info about athletes in order to try to have me invested on a personal level feels forced. Can only hear about a "Cinderella story" so many times. I've had only Netflix and Hulu for the past five years and don't even miss the sports. Miss the local news though.

Jephael
01-02-2017, 12:10 AM
My nephew is getting into sports, which I'm cool with but at the same time I don't wanna see him turn into another crazy jock type like some of my cousins have become over the years.

Prowler
01-02-2017, 12:01 PM
A man who doesn't like sports is high on my "yes" list.
I don't care for sports, especially the sporting industry, and I think college football is a blight on academia, especially in the bigger colleges (part of the reason for their massive tuition).

So it's practically a non-issue in my mind for men to not like sports.
I like sports but I can take a hint when someone is not interested in them. I have lots of online contacts who aren't into sports at all, so I never bring up the subject when I talk to them.

My nephew is getting into sports, which I'm cool with but at the same time I don't wanna see him turn into another crazy jock type like some of my cousins have become over the years.
What do you mean by that? Someone who obsesses over them and cant' talk about anything else?

plastroncafe
01-02-2017, 12:16 PM
No one likes a one-note fanboy.
Regardless of their preferred fandom.

Prowler
01-02-2017, 03:40 PM
No one likes a one-note fanboy.
Regardless of their preferred fandom.
Yeah it's fine to have a passion or two, but it shouldn't define you, imo. One should know how to talk about other things as well.

It's because of many "one-note fanboys/fangirls" that many people look down on big video game/anime/wrestling fans, I wager. The thing is, being an outspoken sports fan is considered more socially acceptable even if you're a couch potato who never exercises. Funny how things work, eh?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-05-2017, 06:06 AM
With all these doping scandals in later years, I understand people disliking sports.

plastroncafe
01-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Doping, the consequences of doping, and the physical trauma of some sports in general.

The concussion scandal in the NFL, for instance.

ProactiveMan
01-06-2017, 12:37 AM
Where I'm from, it doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman, some people will think you're a wet blanket if you don't have any interest in sport. If you don't want to participate in football tipping and have no interest in watching a particular annual horse race, people think you're a party pooper.

I don't care if people like or don't like sports. As long as there is something we can talk about, it doesn't matter.

mrmaczaps
01-06-2017, 02:13 PM
I don't watch any pro or college level sports. I think they're over paid children. There are more important things in life. But then again, my entire family hates my comics collection...

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-21-2017, 05:02 AM
Doping, the consequences of doping, and the physical trauma of some sports in general.

The concussion scandal in the NFL, for instance.

Individual sports are mostly affected, like cross-country skiing and track and field athletics. I prefer watching team sports like soccer, ice hockey and handball instead.

shuriken
02-03-2017, 03:17 AM
This topic is funny because I didn't expect there to be many sports fans on this website, mean I started coming here to talk about TMNT:lol:
Check the sports thread, it's like the weakest ongoing thread here, like yelling into the void.
Anyway I don't care if a man or woman doesn't like sports. I have one roomie who is super into different music (very eclectic to say the least) and another that is striving to become a sports announcer/analyst and he's all into sports. kinda wanna get music guy (Fritz) a SPORTS! t-shirt and Sports guy (Jordan) a MUSIC! shirt to be quasi ironic.
I love me some boxing, hockey, basketball and the occasional soccer and football game, but I try not to bring it up in conversation if no one else is interested.