PDA

View Full Version : Older games you didn't play until years after they came out and yet enjoyed them

Prowler
12-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Things age. Especially video games. Lots of classics have been important in their heyday but have aged poorly, but some others are timeless. So what are some games you didn't get the chance to play until years after they came out and still managed to enjoy then a lot?

The NES Mega Man games immediately spring to my mind. Growing up, I had only played Mega Man 2 on the SNES. For Christmas 2007 I got the Anniversary Collection for the GC and thus was able to play MM1, MM3, MM4, MM5 and MM6 for the first time ever. And I loved every of those games except for 6. Mega Man 3 is one of my favourite NES games alongside Mega Man 2. And I also have a soft spot for MM5, honestly preferring it to MM4.

Genesis/MD's Sonic games are another. I'm from a SNES and majorly Nintendo household, so I grew up mostly with Mario. I played a bit of Sonic 1 at a Genesis my brother bought years after it came out but had foggy memories of it. But with Sonic's Mega Collection I got to play Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. I really liked Sonic 2 a lot, and it's the only classic Sonic game I go back to occasionally.

I didn't get the chance to play the Street Fighter Alpha series and Third Strike until last year. I've enjoyed both a lot. Third Strike is indeed a great game that sadly didn't seel very well.

As for beat 'em ups, I didn't have the chance to play Turtles in Time until like 2009. it's a fun game for what it is and hasn't aged poorly, imo.

When it comes to Nintendo, my first Zelda was NES Zelda and then Ocarina. I also played a bit of Majora's before ever trying A Link to the Past out. It was only around 2002 or so that I got my hands on ALttP for the first time ever. And only played it all the way through around 2011-2012 and I must say I loved it. Then again I guess Nintendo is good at making timeless games, especially Mario and Zelda ones.

Allio
12-27-2016, 01:54 PM
The original Shanta, Spyro 3, Silent Hill

those are the first that comes to mind.

AT-Man
12-27-2016, 02:49 PM
Super Metroid became my favorite SNES game when I played it for the first time about 7 years ago. Also the Zelda games for GB and GBC didn't disappoint me the slightest.

Prowler
12-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Metroid became my favorite SNES game when I played it for the first time about 7 years ago. Also the Zelda games for GB and GBC didn't disappoint me the slightest.
I've gotten the Zelda GBC games from the Nintendo 3DS shop. Same for Super Metroid. But I'm early in Link'a Awakening and Super Metroid(stuck) still.

CyberCubed
12-27-2016, 02:55 PM
The Metal Gear Solid series. I didn't get to fully get into it until around 2007-2008 which was fairly "late" for the old games at the time.

Also I didn't play most of the NES and SNES Mega Man's either until around 2005-2006 or so, which again is nearly 15-20 years after they came out.

Cure
12-27-2016, 02:57 PM
I don't really play games that are older than a few months unless it's a rerelease or remake. I'm too occupied with current games so if I miss them, I miss them.

CyberCubed
12-27-2016, 02:59 PM
I don't really play games that are older than a few months unless it's a rerelease or remake. I'm too occupied with current games so if I miss them, I miss them.

What about classic games from the 80's and 90's? They're easy to get into because most of them are so short and only take a few hours to beat, besides RPG's.

Prowler
12-27-2016, 03:08 PM
The Metal Gear Solid series. I didn't get to fully get into it until around 2007-2008 which was fairly "late" for the old games at the time.

Also I didn't play most of the NES and SNES Mega Man's either until around 2005-2006 or so, which again is nearly 15-20 years after they came out.
I still need to play Mega Man X series.

Btw, I didn't like MM7 and MM8 much.

Understandable. I missed every PS1 and Microsoft console exclusives due to being mostly a Nintendo household. So I don't think I'll play those consoles classics unless thye get remade one day and are also available on a platform lie eSteam, per example. I might play Symphony of the Night since it's 2d thus means it aged better than most early 3d games.

What about classic games from the 80's and 90's? They're easy to get into because most of them are so short and only take a few hours to beat, besides RPG's.
Well that is debatable. NES games can be pretty hard. I was never able ot beat the first ever CastleVania game, per example. And I'm not very fond of the game, anyway.

Cure
12-27-2016, 03:12 PM

Especially not those games. I make it an effort to actively avoid them.

Wesley
12-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

Phantasy Star IV
River City Ransom
Tales of the Abyss
Broken Sword
Final Fantasy VI

Storm Eagle
12-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Things age. Especially video games. Lots of classics have been important in their heyday but have aged poorly, but some others are timeless. So what are some games you didn't get the chance to play until years after they came out and still managed to enjoy then a lot?

The NES Mega Man games immediately spring to my mind. Growing up, I had only played Mega Man 2 on the SNES. For Christmas 2007 I got the Anniversary Collection for the GC and thus was able to play MM1, MM3, MM4, MM5 and MM6 for the first time ever. And I loved every of those games except for 6. Mega Man 3 is one of my favourite NES games alongside Mega Man 2. And I also have a soft spot for MM5, honestly preferring it to MM4.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you there. Mega Man 2 came out in 1989 but I didn't play it until 1992, when my cousin lent me his copy for the NES. When I learned that MMAC was coming out, I thought I had to get it so I could try the other games. It's the same with the Mega Man X Collection.

Also, both StarTropics games. The first came out in 1991, the second in 1994, and I found both at a TRU in 1999 for $4 each. I was curious about them, and with their price tags, I couldn't resist.

Powder
12-27-2016, 08:15 PM
I jumped on the Valve train VERY late. L4D this year, HL a year or two prior, Portal/T42 an additional year or two behind that, even. I was missing out on some really great stuff.

There are tons of "classics" I've caught up with in recent years, too many to list, really.

ssjup81
12-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Chrono Trigger for me. Great game.

CyberCubed
12-27-2016, 10:53 PM
Especially not those games. I make it an effort to actively avoid them.

So you've never bought any Virtual Console games you never played before? I didn't play Super Mario RPG till it was released on the Wii Virtual Console way back in 2008 or whatever it was, and I really enjoyed it. Never owned it back on the SNES.

I mean the only really dated games are PS1 and N64 games obviously, but aside from those a lot of games from the 2D era or the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era still hold up.

sdp
12-27-2016, 11:07 PM
I thought the title meant playing games that were before your time, for example I bought an Atari Flashback around ten years ago and it was my first time experiencing Atari games and as basic as they were I found some really fun ones, I can't really remember their names but I had a lot of fun with them.

But old games even if we were alive we just never played? All the time, when I have time I like checking out old NES games that I never played and to me it's like playing a "new" NES game in the present, same with other consoles and it's great, you get nostalgic about say the PS2 era and you can play a great game you never tried and get the best of both worlds.

I do this in PC all the time as well, I've never bought a game for PC that is new, I'm the exact opposite of Cure. I buy older games like 2-3 year old games super cheap and my computer runs them without a problem. It's almost like that xkdcd comic. I mean I don't really play games that often so when I do I have a huge backlog and tons of amazing games I missed so I prefer to buy and play those.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cutting_edge.png

Prowler
12-28-2016, 05:59 AM
So you've never bought any Virtual Console games you never played before? I didn't play Super Mario RPG till it was released on the Wii Virtual Console way back in 2008 or whatever it was, and I really enjoyed it. Never owned it back on the SNES.

I mean the only really dated games are PS1 and N64 games obviously, but aside from those a lot of games from the 2D era or the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era still hold up.
I still need to play Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario games.

I missed every xbox exclusive game ver since I've never owned one. Same for Sony console exclusives except for the PS2.

I own KOTOR in my Steam library, which apparently was one of the best Xbox games. I'll play it someday.

Spike Spiegel
12-28-2016, 06:18 AM
Dead Space (I think it came out in '08, I played it in 2011)

Super Metroid (though I still prefer the controls of Zero Mission and Fusion overall)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (played the "Greatest Hits" version before Arkham City came out)

Chrono Trigger on the DS

KOTOR (I and II) and Battlefront II

Toonstruck

Street Fighter Third Strike

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex on PS2.

The early 90s Star Trek games on PC (Judgment Rites and 25th Anniversary)

Aliens vs. Predator (2000) on PC and Aliens vs. Predator (2010) on PS3

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (SNES)

Resident Evil 5

Silent Hill 2

Parasite Eve

Marvel vs Capcom 3

Tomb Raider: Legend and Anniversary. I also like the 2013 reboot but waited until it got down to $20.

TurtleTitan97
12-28-2016, 06:24 AM
Splinter Cell (2002)
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Beyond Good & Evil
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Jet Set Radio
Psychonauts
Final Fantasy 7
Turtles in Time
Streets of Rage 2
Grim Fandango
LoZ: Twilight Princess
LoZ: Wind Waker
Ghostbusters (2009)
L.A. Noire

Cure
12-28-2016, 09:31 AM
So you've never bought any Virtual Console games you never played before?

I have not. Get over it; it's almost like we're two different people.

tmnt transformer
12-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Shell, Where do I start with this. I started gaming with sonic & Knuckles on the genesis. Which can be considered strange considering that I was about 10 then, and that game came out in 1994. I was born in 1997, and a lot of my gaming xp has been with classic games.

Eiko
12-28-2016, 04:51 PM
The Mega Man X series 1 to 3 just fantastic.:)

oldmanwinters
12-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Some of the games that have become my favorite that I didn't get to play at length until about 15 years after their release:

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 (Gamecube, 2003, 2004)
NiGHTS into Dreams (Saturn, 1996)
Contra (NES, 1987)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES, 1987)
Gunstar Heroes (Genesis, 1993)
Dynamite Headdy (Genesis, 1994)
Mega Man and Mega Man 6 (NES, 1987, 1993/1994)
Mega Man X2-ad nauseum...

More recent games that took me a while to play at length included the Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. series.

PApagreg
12-28-2016, 06:59 PM
Dark Souls, didn't care much for Demon Souls but after watching Yathzee talk about I decided to pick it up and now I'm a fan

CyberCubed
12-29-2016, 12:54 AM
Oh the Dark Souls series too which I didn't play till this year.

I got Bloodborne earlier this year to try out the series, and aside from some early frustration it turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time and I beat it twice. I immediately bought Dark Souls III when it came out and loved it.

Then I went back and got Dark Souls for PS3 and Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin. Played them both back to back and loved them too.

I now wonder where these games have been all my life. Can't believe I didn't touch the series till this year.

chrisdude
01-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Sonic CD. I didn't have the Sega CD, as a kid, and I suppose I dismissed the game as something I couldn't play. Discovering it on PS3, was amazing. Finding another game that was every bit as good as my favorite Sonic game (Sonic 2), was a rare kind of joy.

I also didn't have NES or Super NES, growing up. So, when my friend showed me NES Remix, I was actually discovering a lot of cool stuff. I had no concept of what games like Excitebike, Baloon Fight or Donkey Kong Jr actually were.

CyberCubed
01-01-2017, 12:00 PM
A lot of those NES games had been re-released tons of times over, on the virtual console and in other collections.

chrisdude
01-01-2017, 12:28 PM
A lot of those NES games had been re-released tons of times over, on the virtual console and in other collections.Wii U is my first Nintendo home console.
Unless you count the used GameCube I bought for 20 bucks because some goober left the GBA player attached.

Prowler
01-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Sonic CD. I didn't have the Sega CD, as a kid, and I suppose I dismissed the game as something I couldn't play. Discovering it on PS3, was amazing. Finding another game that was every bit as good as my favorite Sonic game (Sonic 2), was a rare kind of joy.

I also didn't have NES or Super NES, growing up. So, when my friend showed me NES Remix, I was actually discovering a lot of cool stuff. I had no concept of what games like Excitebike, Baloon Fight or Donkey Kong Jr actually were.
I, too, never played Sonic CD. And honestly, from what I read, that game seems to be quite overrated. many people say it has bad level design.

I might try it out someday but hardly a priority of mine.

DestronMirage22
01-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Sonic CD is free on the app store. SEGA made it that way to get more people into Sonic for when the new games come out. Forwarning you guys; they added ads to it. There's always a catch.

DestronMirage22
01-01-2017, 07:34 PM
I never knew about the Mother series until a few years ago, and its become my favorite video game series ever. I had a reproduction NES cartridge of Earthbound made, and it's the pride of my game collection (aside from my japanese version of Marvel Super Heroes for the Sega Saturn of course :P).

chrisdude
01-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Sonic CD is free on the app store. SEGA made it that way to get more people into Sonic for when the new games come out. Forwarning you guys; they added ads to it. There's always a catch.I bought it when it came out. I think it was worth it. The controls really well for touch, and it comes with an Apple TV version, if you're into that. I think it launched around the same time it hit PS3, because when I think about it, I beat that game on my phone before my PlayStation.

Prowler
01-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Some of the games that have become my favorite that I didn't get to play at length until about 15 years after their release:

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 (Gamecube, 2003, 2004)
NiGHTS into Dreams (Saturn, 1996)
Contra (NES, 1987)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES, 1987)
Gunstar Heroes (Genesis, 1993)
Dynamite Headdy (Genesis, 1994)
Mega Man and Mega Man 6 (NES, 1987, 1993/1994)
Mega Man X2-ad nauseum...

More recent games that took me a while to play at length included the Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. series.
Never played Contra(Probotector here in Europe) but I did play a bit of its DS remake some years ago. And I liked it.

Powder
01-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Didn't play any DOOM until early 2016, boy did I miss out on that.

Prowler
01-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Didn't play any DOOM until early 2016, boy did I miss out on that.
I played Wolfenstein 3D for the first time ever back in 2009 or so but God did that game age poorly.

Only played a bit of the original Doom thus far.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-05-2017, 05:18 AM
A lot of NES and SNES-games.

CyberCubed
01-06-2017, 01:36 AM
Mass Effect 1 didn't come out on PS3 till like 2012 or whatever it was, so I didn't play it till then. It was pretty dated gameplay wise compared to 2 and 3, but I still enjoyed it.

ProactiveMan
01-11-2017, 02:34 AM
Super Castlevania IV. I played it for the first time five years ago and really got into Castlevania after that.