PDA

View Full Version : So why did Korea get the jump on airing the episodes first? (Potential Spoilers)

Coola Yagami
01-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Anyone know the story behind this?

Jester
01-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Not sure. Part of me wonders is Standards & Practices made them change things late in the game due to...well...things. Might see if Brandon Auman will answer questions on FB.

ToTheNines
01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
This just proves that Coola is a troll.

Jester
01-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I'm not completely sure of that. I know the question has been on my mind since the 'leaks'.

JH24
01-03-2017, 01:55 PM
It does make me wonder if Nickelodeon in each country can act independently or if they have to follow "instructions/rules" from USA based Nick. (They have the headquarters in the United States?) Because otherwise Nick USA could have said to wait airing those episodes before they aired in the United States. But I have no idea how these kind of things work.

IMO I think they'll only generate more hype because everyone who saw these episodes in Korean would definitely want to see them again in English. And others who avoid watching them will likely hear some good things about them. But the reasoning why they aired them in the first place is interesting.

ToTheNines
01-03-2017, 01:56 PM
@Jester It's a fair question, but one that no one here has any idea how to accurately answer. Even the creative team is probably in the dark on this.

The fact that he made this thread mere minutes after you locked the thread in the QCS section tells me he just wants to further antagonize those of us who are waiting.

plastroncafe
01-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Were they leaked?
Or were they legit aired on Nick!Korea?

And aren't they also animated in Korea?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
01-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Half my prediction has come true. I'm batting 500 so far.

neatoman
01-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Were they leaked?

India, actually.

Jester
01-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Were they leaked?

Pretty sure it legit aired there. And you're probably right about it being animated there...most shows are. Almost makes me wonder what the typical release window is for Nick's show in South Korea...ad in how long after they air stateside do they typically air there.

Coola Yagami
01-03-2017, 02:41 PM
This just proves that Coola is a troll.

No, it's a legit question that noone answered in the locked thread because it was locked before anyone could. I just find it weird since it never happened before with any of the other seasons.

And yes, as far as I know they were aired on regular Korean tv, which makes me wonder now if this has happened before with all the long breaks on the previous seasons.

ToTheNines
01-03-2017, 02:45 PM
India, actually.

Also Canada and New Zealand.

Coola Yagami
01-03-2017, 05:12 PM
So I guess not even Nick itself (or at least the American branch) knows? That's....weird.

PApagreg
01-03-2017, 05:39 PM
The fact that he made this thread mere minutes after you locked the thread in the QCS section tells me he just wants to further antagonize those of us who are waiting.

How, if the people who want to wait for new episodes don't want the risk of getting spoiled then why did click on a thread whos topic is "the korean episodes".

Jephael
01-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Part of me wonders if Standards & Practices made them change things late in the game due to...well...things. Might see if Brandon Auman will answer questions on FB.

Considering what the network censors have already allowed on this show, I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

Coola Yagami
01-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Considering what the network censors have already allowed on this show, I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

They can't. It's still an American cartoon made for American audiences. They wouldn't purposely do something they know wouldn't make it to the final cut.

Jester
01-03-2017, 07:42 PM
My brain goes back to Insane in the Membrane from 4Kids TMNT. It cleared S&P but then things changed and it was deemed to much. It aired in Oz before here, if I remember right.

CyberCubed
01-03-2017, 07:48 PM
"Insane in the Membrane" aired on Cartoon Network later on, if I remember correctly. It was also on the Season 4 DVD that came out, so it was legally released in the U.S.

Storm Eagle
01-03-2017, 07:54 PM
"Insane in the Membrane" aired on Cartoon Network later on, if I remember correctly. It was also on the Season 4 DVD that came out, so it was legally released in the U.S.

It is on the DVD set, but whenever did it air on the Cartoon Network? I know it aired on Nicktoons though.

PApagreg
01-03-2017, 08:09 PM
It is on the DVD set, but whenever did it air on the Cartoon Network? I know it aired on Nicktoons though.
2k3 used to be on Miguzi

Storm Eagle
01-03-2017, 08:14 PM
2k3 use to be on Miguzi

I remember, but I want to know if he or anyone might know the date.

ssjup81
01-03-2017, 08:42 PM
What's Miguzi? I thought the 2k3 series during its original run, was only aired on Fox.

victory_angel
01-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Miguzi was a line up of shows that is similar to the toonsmi block on cartoon network

CyberCubed
01-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Cartoon Network aired reruns of the 2k3 series weekdays for about a year or two.

Ashwolf
01-03-2017, 11:04 PM
it also aired on cw for a few years but that was mainly starting with ff, if i remember right

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
01-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Maybe the TMNT are more popular in South Korea?

ssjup81
01-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Maybe they air everything in one go after dubbing is finished.

01-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Maybe they air everything in one go after dubbing is finished.

Aren't they still recorded in English first?

Vicky82
01-04-2017, 07:12 AM
South Korea Nickelodeon probably got fed up with US Nickelodeons ****** schedule and decided to air them anyway.

01-04-2017, 07:23 AM
South Korea Nickelodeon probably got fed up with US Nickelodeons ****** schedule and decided to air them anyway.

Is it only in the USA where TV-series now air with episodes-break-episodes-break over and over again all the time?

ssjup81
01-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Aren't they still recorded in English first?Yeah, I would think so. I meant when Korea finishes its dubbing process after receiving and translating it, maybe they air it all in one go.

Vicky82
01-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Is it only in the USA where TV-series now air with episodes-break-episodes-break over and over again all the time?

No UK have to wait for US to air them first. Back in 2014, Nick UK had the last 4 episodes of season 3 scheduled to air before the US but with only a few days to go they changed it and aired repeats instead.

ssjup81
01-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Is it only in the USA where TV-series now air with episodes-break-episodes-break over and over again all the time?I think it's a Nickelodeon thing. Rugrats AGU and Rocket Power years ago had eps that aired outside of the US before the US did.

01-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I would think so. I meant when Korea finishes its dubbing process after receiving and translating it, maybe they air it all in one go.

Or maybe all episodes are without any voices, and a papers is written in English with dialouges which any language can add when recording their own voices.

ssjup81
01-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Or maybe all episodes are without any voices, and a papers is written in English with dialouges which any language can add when recording their own voices.Yeah, that makes more sense.

01-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Check out this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnQY891jw4

Sabacooza
01-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Check out this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnQY891jw4 Yeah, that's BS. I also read that Greenblatt the creator of Harvey Beaks said Nickelodeon is a terrible company to work for. If they're this ****** with scheduling and letting episodes air over in Korea really early before they air in the country of origin, I'm inclined to believe him.

I also read they will put shows in dumb time slots so they fail so they have an excuse to cancel them. They don't want anything competing with the Sponge apparently.

Vicky82
01-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Apparently I heard Steven Universe episodes got leaked before they were supposed to air. I'm not sure if they were aired in another country or on the Internet though.

I don't watch Steven Universe but it's quite funny that 2 shows in a week getting leaked before they aired in the US.

ToTheNines
01-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Yeah, that's BS. I also read that Greenblatt the creator of Harvey Beaks said Nickelodeon is a terrible company to work for. If they're this ****** with scheduling and letting episodes air over in Korea really early before they air in the country of origin, I'm inclined to believe him.

I also read they will put shows in dumb time slots so they fail so they have an excuse to cancel them. They don't want anything competing with the Sponge apparently.

But... why? Wouldn't it make sense to have multiple successful shows? Why even approve the creation of a show in that case?

01-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Hopefully just a rumour.

Redworld96
01-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Apparently I heard Steven Universe episodes got leaked before they were supposed to air. I'm not sure if they were aired in another country or on the Internet though.

I don't watch Steven Universe but it's quite funny that 2 shows in a week getting leaked before they aired in the US.

But I've read that, apparently, it was the Cartoon Network App who uploaded the episodes before. So I guess its fine? :-?

plastroncafe
01-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Steven Universe is a weird situation.
First of all each episode is under 12 minutes long, and they often get released by Cartoon Network in clumps...sometimes with no notice.

If you're like me, and don't have cable, you can purchase the seasons on streaming services, but those services won't just put up individual episodes. Amazon at least, likes to post them as pairs.

So if the latest Steven Bomb has five episodes, you'll be waiting for the next Steven Bomb before you can see the fifth episode of the last Steven Bomb.

Because of that...there's a whole lot of leaked/streaming going on.

CyberCubed
01-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Cartoon Network did this all the time with Young Justice too. They damn near got the show cancelled because of it and the toyline bombing.

Coola Yagami
01-04-2017, 02:22 PM

They probably don't want to interrupt their Spongebob marathons.

01-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Why would Nickelodeon be so obsessed with Spongebob?

plastroncafe
01-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Because they make money hand over fist from that property.

Honestly?
I think Nick has the same problem that most cable/network stations have these days:
Risk Avoidance.

They want as much bang as their buck will allow, and so they're not going to go out on a limb for something if it doesn't immediately return on their investment.
And that's just for adults. Kids are even worse, because they have a tendency to get bored by things...at the drop of a hat.

SO why put more investment into something with diminishing returns, when you can pump more money into something that's a sure thing.
Sponge Bob is a sure thing. Kids love it, and they grow up to be tweens, teens, and 20 somethings who love it. It doesn't, to my knowledge, have a coherent story arc, so you don't have to worry about what episodes air when.

You get something like TMNT, or say Korra...something with a more linear plot, and syndication becomes an issue.

01-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Because they make money hand over fist from that property.

But once it isn't popular, something else will come, like TMNT growing in popularity having become more popular than Heman by 1989, only to have been killed by the Power Rangers by 1994 and so on. That shouldn't bother Nickelodeon as long as they can get the licenses.

Autbot_Benz
01-04-2017, 03:07 PM
fyi stay away from the Wiki's about TMNT season 4 episode list they have added the episode synopsis for each of them that have aired in south korea. Thankfully I exited before seeing any.

Nick should really make up for this and do a TMNT marathon and just air all the new episodes that have been shown in South Korea in one day. I know they won't but it would be nice.

Jephael
01-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Nick should really make up for this and do a TMNT marathon and just air all the new episodes that have been shown in South Korea in one day. I know they won't but it would be nice.

The really frightening thing is according to Wikipedia, the next new episode is the only one with a set release date for here in the US. There's no way of knowing when the following three will be airing.

Sabacooza
01-04-2017, 03:15 PM
But... why? Wouldn't it make sense to have multiple successful shows? Why even approve the creation of a show in that case?I wouldn't even try to understand it. Common sense is severely lacking in this day and age.

PApagreg
01-04-2017, 03:26 PM
They probably don't want to interrupt their Spongebob marathons.

Or Loud House marathons(though Loud House is a really good show)

01-04-2017, 03:34 PM
The really frightening thing is according to Wikipedia, the next new episode is the only one with a set release date for here in the US. There's no way of knowing when the following three will be airing.

Let's guess:

"Tokka vs. the World": 5 February 2017
"Tale of Tigerclaw": 30 April 2017
"Requiem" 27 August 2017
"Owari" 10 September 2017

First season 5 episode (if it'll become produced at all): 24 September 2017. Season 5 and the entire series may then end by 2019-2020.

:)