PDA

View Full Version : Activision lost the rights to publish TMNT games

ColinStein
01-05-2017, 11:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5ybaW6V.jpg

As the story goes, it seems that several Activision licensed games have been pulled from digital stores, including both TMNT games they published: Out of the Shadows and Mutants in Manhattan. Neither of the games I liked, enjoyed, or finished. Different websites and sources are assuming it's because it's the new year and they let the licenses go.

So Who would you like to make new TMNT games? I remember the rumor of Rocksteady working on one and that would be cool.

Source-ish
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/4/14172096/platinum-games-ninja-turtles-mutants-in-manhattan-tmnt-removed

(And if this is already a thread somewhere else, DAMN IT! I looked and missed it. Sorry.)

Candy Kappa
01-05-2017, 11:07 AM
bummer, haven't gotten the last game yet.

Cure
01-05-2017, 11:09 AM
That's too bad.

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Activision also lost the rights to the SpiderMan games, Which make sense since Insomniac Games has a new Spider-Man gaming coming out this year.

I would love to see Insomniac Games do a TMNT game.

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 11:23 AM
So Who would you like to make new TMNT games? I remember the rumor of Rocksteady working on one

That would never happen.

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 11:31 AM
That would never happen.
I would like to see Insomniac Games do it, They have a great track record, and they are releasing the new SpiderMan game this year.

oldmanwinters
01-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Speaking of rights, no one has botched this story worse than Game Rant, who is apparently under the impression that the TMNT is owned by Marvel:
https://gamerant.com/activision-spider-man-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-digital/

Anyone who wanted to buy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan or either of the two The Amazing Spider-Man games will find themselves disappointed as Activision has been removing these titles from the digital shelves over the last few days, most likely due to licensing issues with trademark holder Marvel

So far Activision has remained silent as to the why of it all, though speculation points toward a licensing issue with Marvel, the owner of both franchises.

Why Marvel keeps demanding these recalls is somewhat uncertain, though in the case of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan it could very well be that many considered it to be one of the worst games of 2016. In fact, it seems to be common for Marvel video games too be rather less than expected. Though there are many possible reasons for this, a clue may lie in an interview given by TQ Jefferson, Marvelís VP of games production, back around the time the comic-book publisher ended their partnership with Sega.

Having Activision pull their titles from Steam and the like every time a game bombs seems to be a counter-productive strategy, though, as all it does is once again draw attention to games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan, which most seem to had forgotten about except for a short entry in the annual hall of shame articles. Though Marvel may think that out of sight is out of mind, they could also find that gamers have long memories.

PApagreg
01-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Whoever it is I hope they give platinum another chance in making a TMNT game

oldmanwinters
01-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Got my fingers crossed for Capcom to make a new TMNT 2D fighter!

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 12:20 PM
And I doubt anybody "lost" their license. Probably they got the license for X # of years, months, and 1/1/2017 was the end date, with the option for Activision to pay X number of dollars to renew it for another year. They didn't, because nobody bought "Out of the Shadows" or "Mutants in Manhattan." Nobody just gets a license for something forever.

CyberCubed
01-05-2017, 12:36 PM
TMNT is probably only going to have mobile phone games for the forseeable future. With the Nick cartoon ending in the next few years and these games aimed at older fans like in the OP failing, they're not going to bother making anything else.

ColinStein
01-05-2017, 12:57 PM
That would never happen.

Yea... We'll probably never get a game with as much respect the Arkham series got.

I think another WayForward TMNT game could be cool. Something that wasn't limited to a super young audience. Maybe something in the vein of Double Dragon Neon.

What kind of game would be best for TMNT? They did that Smash Bros clone awhile ago from Ubisoft. There's been fighting games, beat 'em ups, side scrollers. I think beat 'em ups has always been the best games. Maybe an open world?

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 01:09 PM
What kind of game would be best for TMNT?

If not an open sandbox game, I'd like to see a return to the style of the very first NES game. You know, an overworld, different styles of adventuring/action as things go on (maybe the default being something like the most recent Ninja Gaiden games). Anything, anything but another lame button-mashing Final Fight clone like the last 50 TMNT games have been.

But then, TMNT games don't really sell. So we'll probably get Final Fight clone #51 next time around. Cheap, quick, easy to throw out there.

Powder
01-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I think another WayForward TMNT game could be cool. Something that wasn't limited to a super young audience. Maybe something in the vein of Double Dragon Neon.

Wayforward has made some amazing games, none of them being their TMNT titles. I'm assuming we got one of their C-teams or something, 'cause I expect wayyyyy better from them. I'd definitely be open to one developed by different people within the company.

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 01:27 PM
How about a TMNT game done by Telltale? Maybe set in the IDW universe.

CyberCubed
01-05-2017, 02:07 PM
No. TellTale games aren't real games.

ColinStein
01-05-2017, 03:55 PM
If not an open sandbox game, I'd like to see a return to the style of the very first NES game. You know, an overworld, different styles of adventuring/action as things go on (maybe the default being something like the most recent Ninja Gaiden games). Anything, anything but another lame button-mashing Final Fight clone like the last 50 TMNT games have been.

I like that. Or like Mario 3? I felt like Mutants in Manhattan almost did an open world... but in a weird way. Wasn't it open world, then wait for a "mission" then that "mission" unlocks the level, then goes back to this weird semi-open world if there were still levels in that environment-area-ish to play?

Wayforward has made some amazing games, none of them being their TMNT titles. I'm assuming we got one of their C-teams or something, 'cause I expect wayyyyy better from them. I'd definitely be open to one developed by different people within the company.

Yea, they made one TMNT game. I think I Redboxed it out of curiosity? My friend and I actually had a good time playing the Batman: The Brave and The Bold game they made. But those are side scrollers, I think I'm sticking to my vote for a Double Dragon Neon re-skinned.

TellTale makes stories, not games. I guess if choose your own adventure counts as a game...?

Powder
01-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Yea, they made one TMNT game. I think I Redboxed it out of curiosity? My friend and I actually had a good time playing the Batman: The Brave and The Bold game they made. But those are side scrollers, I think I'm sticking to my vote for a Double Dragon Neon re-skinned.

2, actually. They did a plug & play sorta thing for the 4kids series.

DevilSpooky
01-05-2017, 05:42 PM

An evolved version of one of the oldest video game genres in existance is not a real game now? :trolleye:

TigerClaw
01-05-2017, 05:47 PM
An evolved version of one of the oldest video game genres in existance is not a real game now? :trolleye:
Yeah, Point and Click Adventures are real games too, they are interactive.

robb0226
01-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Give me some side scrolling beat-em up with 4 player local/online co-op with RPG elements. Sort of a blend of TMNT arcade games, Shovel Knight, and River City Randsom. With some good people working on it, something simple like that would work in my mind. :tgrin:

Ninjinister
01-05-2017, 06:28 PM
2, actually. They did a plug & play sorta thing for the 4kids series.

I feel like if you take into consideration what it is, they did amazing work with that. It's a plug 'n' play so if you expect anything blockbuster status, it's not gonna happen... but it had nice graphics and didn't play like garbage.

Got my fingers crossed for Capcom to make a new TMNT 2D fighter!

Sadly (and I do mean that, because this would be the best thing ever for me), this is very unlikely to happen. Capcom hasn't been doing superb financially as of late, to the point where Street Fighter 5 only happened because Sony financed it. They've canned every Mega Man project in the past few years that hasn't been a rerelease or mobile game (or both), Resident Evil 6 was considered a low point in not only the franchise's history but gaming history overall, and Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono can't even get the Darkstalkers project he wants to do off the ground. Capcom barely does fighters outside of Street Fighter these days anyway, and even less so licensed fighters anymore. The Marvel vs. series only keeps happening due to its legacy as well as the fact that Marvel/Disney is, like Sony, very likely footing some of the bill.

2D licensed fighters are dead overall anyway... you might get some anime fighters from the likes of Bandai-Namco, but that's about it. Even the Smash-esque platform fighter is dwindling when it comes to licensed fighters... I can only think of one that was released in the last few years. Pretty much the only recourse I could see is if Bandai-Namco got the license somehow (and even then it wouldn't be handled by their top-tier teams like Tekken and SoulCalibur) or if somehow an indie developer got a crack at this. And even in these two cases, I doubt it'd be passable.

So yeah, if Activision has indeed dropped or tanked the license, I am disappointed that this'd be the first "era" where we didn't get some sort of fighting game. Because of who I am, I'd prefer a s**t fighting game to no fighting game.

TurtleTitan97
01-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Can't say I'll shed any tears over this. Out of the Shadows was a disappointment, and I had high hopes for Mutants in Manhattan before the reviews came in. Which is a shame considering PlantinumGames did a great job on Transformers: Devastation.

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 07:55 PM
2D licensed fighters are dead overall anyway...

And are just recycling the same sh*t over and over again. Since Virtua Fighter and Tekken and even Mortal Kombat (up until the last couple games, when they reverted) raised the bar to 3D... Capcom is still sitting there peddling their 2D-in-disguise fighters. They look and play like every Capcom fighter you've ever played since 1992. Booooring.

Whatever happened to Tekken X Street Fighter? Unlike Street Fighter X Tekken it was supposed to allow full 3D motion. Was looking forward to that.

CyberCubed
01-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Guys, the Japanese game industry, outside of Nintendo, is practically dead at this point. Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco, etc. are all nothing more than shadows of their former selves. Even Nintendo is struggling despite their modern games still being excellent. Konami barely even makes games anymore and the MGS series is practically on life support now. All Capcom has are fighters and their hopes to reinvent Resident Evil. Square is basically a publishing arm now, FF 15 bombed in Japan.

Nowadays all the big games come from the west like Naughty Dog, Bioware, EA, Rockstar, Activision, Ubisoft, etc.

This isn't the 90's anymore, people. Or even the early 2000's.

PApagreg
01-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Guys, the Japanese game industry, outside of Nintendo, is practically dead at this point. Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco, etc. are all nothing more than shadows of their former selves. Even Nintendo is struggling despite their modern games still being excellent. Konami barely even makes games anymore and the MGS series is practically on life support now. All Capcom has are fighters and their hopes to reinvent Resident Evil. Square is basically a publishing arm now, FF 15 bombed in Japan.

Nowadays all the big games come from the west like Naughty Dog, Bioware, EA, Rockstar, Activision, Ubisoft, etc.

This isn't the 90's anymore, people. Or even the early 2000's.

I'm pretty sure Atlus and Platinum are still going strong

Andrew NDB
01-05-2017, 10:22 PM
FF 15 bombed in Japan.

Really? I'm interested in this.

PApagreg
01-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Well maybe "bomb" is too strong of a word but FF has seen better days

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/final-fantasy-15-tops-japan-sales-its-first-week-figures-are-significantly-low-572904

oldmanwinters
01-06-2017, 01:00 AM
Sadly (and I do mean that, because this would be the best thing ever for me), this is very unlikely to happen. Capcom hasn't been doing superb financially as of late, to the point where Street Fighter 5 only happened because Sony financed it. They've canned every Mega Man project in the past few years that hasn't been a rerelease or mobile game (or both), Resident Evil 6 was considered a low point in not only the franchise's history but gaming history overall, and Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono can't even get the Darkstalkers project he wants to do off the ground. Capcom barely does fighters outside of Street Fighter these days anyway, and even less so licensed fighters anymore. The Marvel vs. series only keeps happening due to its legacy as well as the fact that Marvel/Disney is, like Sony, very likely footing some of the bill.

2D licensed fighters are dead overall anyway... you might get some anime fighters from the likes of Bandai-Namco, but that's about it. Even the Smash-esque platform fighter is dwindling when it comes to licensed fighters... I can only think of one that was released in the last few years. Pretty much the only recourse I could see is if Bandai-Namco got the license somehow (and even then it wouldn't be handled by their top-tier teams like Tekken and SoulCalibur) or if somehow an indie developer got a crack at this. And even in these two cases, I doubt it'd be passable.

So yeah, if Activision has indeed dropped or tanked the license, I am disappointed that this'd be the first "era" where we didn't get some sort of fighting game. Because of who I am, I'd prefer a s**t fighting game to no fighting game.

As the old saying goes, "you can never step into the same river twice!"

CyberCubed
01-06-2017, 01:35 AM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322896

Console gaming in general is dying in Japan. They prefer playing games on handhelds like 3DS or mobile phones. Hence why Nintendo's next console is a handheld hybrid.

Spitfire
01-06-2017, 08:14 AM
I find it odd Ninja Turtles is a blockbuster franchise and yet to receive a decent game since the original heyday. It commands the merchandising power that almost rivals Star Wars. It's a literal license to print money. If you give the Turtles to a triple A game developer they could easily make a title that gets Arkham series recognition. I throw that out specifically because gameplay wise I think that series mirrors the elements a Ninja Turtle game needs. Action, stealth, and open-world with clever ways to navigate. Batman was in the doghouse video game wise before the Arkham games. Goes to show it just takes one good studio to turn that around.

PApagreg
01-06-2017, 09:26 AM
You know, I want to see what a TMNT Souls like game would look like. Its never going to happen but I'm curious to see what it looks like.

TigerClaw
01-06-2017, 09:28 AM
TMNT needs the right game developer that can take it seriously.

The problem they had with Mutants in Manhattan was that it wasn't made by the primary developers of Platinum Games, It was made by different division of Platinum Games whose previous game was poorly received.

sdp
01-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Like it or not the new movie failing is causing all of this. Nick on the verge of cancellation? Activision not renewing the license? They don't see money on the franchise anymore. I don't see anyone picking up the license anytime soon.

oldmanwinters
01-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Like it or not the new movie failing is causing all of this. Nick on the verge of cancellation? Activision not renewing the license? They don't see money on the franchise anymore. I don't see anyone picking up the license anytime soon.

Indeed, for better or worse, most of entertainment culture is a film-dependent world!

CyberCubed
01-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Well the Nick cartoon had a good run, although I wish it got at least 7 seasons. It'll have 124 episodes by the time Season 5 ends, so it did last quite a while. Too bad it didn't reach 150 episodes.

The IDW comics are still going strong and the main series will easily reach issue #100, we're only up to issue #66 now. In fact I predict the IDW comics will have a 10-15 year run.

AquaParade
01-06-2017, 01:03 PM
This is excellent news. Now there's a chance the rights end up in much better hands.

TMNT have a pretty reputable legacy in the gaming industry. People remember the Konami beat em up's from back in the day with fondness. No guarentee's, but at least now there's a fair chance that they end up in good hands.

CyberCubed
01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Konami's 2k3 games were a mixed bag, then Ubisoft dropped the ball, and then Activision did.

We're not exactly swimming in quality games since the 2000's.

John Pannozzi
01-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Konami's 2k3 games were a mixed bag, then Ubisoft dropped the ball, and then Activision did.

We're not exactly swimming in quality games since the 2000's.

People liked Ubisoft's 2007 TMNT Game Boy Advance title. I'd argue their console 2007 TMNT game was also pretty good.

Powder
01-06-2017, 10:45 PM
Totally, I've replayed both a whole bunch. The DS one, on the other hand... :tlol:

CyberCubed
01-07-2017, 01:02 AM
All the 2D TMNT 2k3 and movie games on the GBA and DS were pretty great. They were the best of all the post 2000 TMNT games.

Donatello19
01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
I actually got Mutants In Manhattan for Christmas and just finished it last night, I liked it a lot honestly. Don't really understand why everyone hates it, but then again I'm not that big on video game related stuff anyway.

TigerClaw
01-08-2017, 05:27 PM
I actually got Mutants In Manhattan for Christmas and just finished it last night, I liked it a lot honestly. Don't really understand why everyone hates it, but then again I'm not that big on video game related stuff anyway.
Most of the criticism I head has to do with the game getting repetitive.

PApagreg
01-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Just watch Vegita playing the game to see what everyone's gripes are

ePXVlnd2iwg

ColinStein
01-09-2017, 01:34 PM
It is a pretty game... That's about all I got.

Bry
01-09-2017, 06:20 PM

If they really hung the entire property's current viability on that stinker of a movie franchise, then it might just be for the best if TMNT has another time-out. Maybe there'll be a corporate shuffle and someone else with better instincts will get a shot at managing things right.

I'm curious to play "Mutants in Manhattan", but there's no way I'm paying full price for it. Maybe I'll pick it up if it shows up in a pawn shop eventually.

CyberCubed
01-09-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm curious to play "Mutants in Manhattan", but there's no way I'm paying full price for it. Maybe I'll pick it up if it shows up in a pawn shop eventually.

You can literally find it for $20-30 online.

Bry
01-09-2017, 08:09 PM
You can literally find it for $20-30 online.

You have no idea how cheap I can find most games for at pawn shops. :tlol: I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up for half that, in time.

Ninjinister
01-09-2017, 11:28 PM
As much as I was disappointed with the two Nick-based games, I'm sad that we didn't get a chance to fight April Derp and Mega Shredder.

You have no idea how cheap I can find most games for at pawn shops. :tlol: I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up for half that, in time.

Canada must be a magical land if you can find anything for a system within the last two generations that isn't absolute garbage or one of those yearly revision sports titles.

oldmanwinters
01-09-2017, 11:32 PM
As much as I was disappointed with the two Nick-based games, I'm sad that we didn't get a chance to fight April Derp and Mega Shredder.

Haha, totally!

I would have loved a Season 4 inspired game with space adventures!

Ninjinister
01-10-2017, 01:01 AM
Haha, totally!

I would have loved a Season 4 inspired game with space adventures!

Closest we got was Battle Match.

TigerClaw
01-10-2017, 05:50 AM
Amazon has it, but in a variety of prices.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles%3A+Mutants+i n+Manhattan&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ATeenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles%3A+M utants+in+Manhattan

Bry
01-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Canada must be a magical land if you can find anything for a system within the last two generations that isn't absolute garbage or one of those yearly revision sports titles.

You'd be surprised! As long as it's not too recent and isn't notably rare, a lot of really good, fairly recent games sell for dirt cheap used. There's a lot of that stuff in the mix too, but there's also a surprisingly wide variety of quality games at my local pawn shops.

I've stopped buying games and movies new entirely. Just be a little patient and you can find them for 1/4 or less of their original price.

pferreira
01-12-2017, 08:05 AM
No. TellTale games aren't real games.I couldn't agree more. The console industry in general wants to make movies more than games.

We're not exactly swimming in quality games since the 2000's.I really liked the 2003 game. Battle Nexus tried to change things and failed. Haven't played the third game yet.

You can literally find it for $20-30 online.But will it work on Steam since they removed it?

Amazon has it, but in a variety of prices.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles%3A+Mutants+i n+Manhattan&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ATeenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles%3A+M utants+in+ManhattanAmazon don't have the PC version on their site any more.

Andrew NDB
01-12-2017, 10:04 AM
I couldn't agree more. The console industry in general wants to make movies more than games.

I've been noticing that more and more every year.

sdp
01-12-2017, 12:51 PM
I've been noticing that more and more every year.
The trend started during the PS1 era but man has it been annoying for a decade now, cinematic games are terrible since they tend to sacrifice too much for a story that isn't that great, go ahead and watch many of those "movies" like Uncharted the movie on youtube and tell me that's a good story.

But will it work on Steam since they removed it?

Yes they still work and you'll always be able to download it, with that said the prices of them rose since the title became removed since demand went up. If I didn't buy it during the winter sale last month I won't buy it for much more since it's a mediocre game after all.

The Deadman
01-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Movie sales dont affect video game sales, nor do they increase the possibility of a video game being made unless it's a tie in.

sdp
01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Movie sales dont affect video game sales, nor do they increase the possibility of a video game being made unless it's a tie in.

It counts as a tie-in; It doesn't have to be based on the actual movie but the same franchise. A successful movie will boost sales for other media of the same IP, the marketing is already there.

CyberCubed
01-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Cinematic games like Uncharted are great and good games. Its all the open world games with tedious collect-a-thons and repetitive quests and pacing that need to go.

There are more open world games now than ever before and they're all copy/paste.

Andrew NDB
01-12-2017, 02:27 PM
The Final Fantasy games have suffered greatly for this since around X. No more overworld map, piloting airships around the world... just running from Point A to Point B down corridors to get to the next FMV sequence. The illusion of leveling. Little to no sidequests, or extremely menial ones.

myconius
01-12-2017, 09:43 PM
There are more open world games now than ever before and they're all copy/paste.

sad but very true.

slingtheory
01-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Actually glad to see Activision go. Maybe the next publisher the tmnt finds a home with will put a little more resources and effort behind their projects

Ninjinister
01-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Actually glad to see Activision go. Maybe the next publisher the tmnt finds a home with will put a little more resources and effort behind their projects

Yeah the only TMNT game of theirs I liked to any degree was Mutants in Manhattan.

I miss the Activision of old. Pitfall is still my jam.

The Turtle Terminator
01-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Will the titles still work if I bought them on disc?

Andrew NDB
01-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Of course!

You people are acting as if Activision has been fired, or "left" in some way. They had a license! It expired, like it was always going to! The license they had wasn't profitable enough for Activision so they didn't want to renew it any further! Shesus...

CyberCubed
01-13-2017, 03:50 PM

???

Old NES licensed games still work, what kind of question is this? Physical games will always be fine.

You can play Batman NES based on the 1989 movie with Michael Keaton Batman right now in the year 2017 if you wanted.

Bry
01-15-2017, 07:21 PM

h0tNw4jNp28

Cure
01-16-2017, 04:21 PM
There are disc games that are online only that don't work anymore because the servers have been shut down so it's a valid concern. Cut the guy some slack for asking, Jesus.

Coola Yagami
01-17-2017, 07:10 PM
There are disc games that are online only that don't work anymore because the servers have been shut down so it's a valid concern. Cut the guy some slack for asking, Jesus.

This is news to me since I never really thought of that. So I assume games like phantasy star online and those RE online games for the PS2 are now pretty much useless.

CyberCubed
01-17-2017, 07:26 PM
This is news to me since I never really thought of that. So I assume games like phantasy star online and those RE online games for the PS2 are now pretty much useless.

Its mostly for online only games that have no single player mode. Obviously games with single player modes will work forever even after the multiplayer is shut down.

Even Nintendo shut down the Wi-fi for all their Wii and DS games. You can't play Smash or Mario Kart online anymore on Wii or DS...but you can still play them in single player or local multiplayer of course.

pferreira
01-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Yes they still work and you'll always be able to download it, with that said the prices of them rose since the title became removed since demand went up. If I didn't buy it during the winter sale last month I won't buy it for much more since it's a mediocre game after all.

There are disc games that are online only that don't work anymore because the servers have been shut down so it's a valid concern. Cut the guy some slack for asking, Jesus.This is what I was getting at. I wanted to buy a retail copy, of course this involves activating it on Steam so wondered whether it would still be accepted by Steam. Amazon don't sell it any more that's what got me thinking this was a problem.

just running from Point A to Point B down corridors to get to the next FMV sequence. The illusion of leveling. Little to no sidequests, or extremely menial ones.Yeah I know. Episodic games annoy me the most because of that which is why I'm not a fan of Telltale.

LeotheLateBloomer
01-21-2017, 12:47 PM
I really liked the 2003 game. Battle Nexus tried to change things and failed. Haven't played the third game yet.

I like the 2003 game as well. Love Mike's "Eat Feet" line! Battle Nexus is fun with four players but playing by yourself can get boring. Mutant Nightmare is only fun for a little bit.

pferreira
01-26-2017, 11:06 AM
I like the 2003 game as well. Love Mike's "Eat Feet" line! Battle Nexus is fun with four players but playing by yourself can get boring. Mutant Nightmare is only fun for a little bit.With Battle Nexus I get the impression the developers listened to the fans and then proceeded to fix everything that actually worked in the first game thereby ruining it.

THGhost
01-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Good! :tcool:

Maelxich
03-27-2017, 01:21 PM
I hope whoever gets it gives platinum games another shot there seemed to be a lot of issues with that game like them promising 60 fps and it being 30 weird choices when all they had to do was making transformers devestation with turtle switching and combo specials like out of the shadows did but keep the idw designs

A rerelease of the arcade games like final fight double impact would be great if they can strike a deal with Konami and even get some concept art etc as unlockables

A fighter would be nice as well as a batman tmnt team up game based on the crossover comic

All in all the one I want most is another platinum game and hope the new owner of the license realizes why no one like mutants in manhattan

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 01:45 PM
A rerelease of the arcade games like final fight double impact would be great if they can strike a deal with Konami

Regular people don't want that or care about that.

Cryomancer
03-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Metroid-ish TMNT has only been done like what, twice now? And both were at least alright. I'd like to see it done better still.

Also still holding out the impossible dream of Super Robot Wars but TMNT. Probably any kind of decent strategy game, really. I'd play TMNT Disgaea or XCOM.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Metroid-ish TMNT has only been done like what, twice now? And both were at least alright.

TMNT 1 on NES and what's the second one? One of the Gameboy ones?

Cryomancer
03-27-2017, 02:13 PM
TMNT 1 on NES and what's the second one? One of the Gameboy ones?

I was thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue for Gameboy and Wayforward's semi recent Danger of the Ooze. TMNT 1 has some shades of it too, yeah.

TigerClaw
03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
I think what people want, is a TMNT game that plays like the original games.

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 02:39 PM

No, normal people don't want TMNT: Final Fight Clone Game #32. Only nostalgiacs want that, and only because that's what TMNT 2-27 were like.

I'd love to see a kind of remake of TMNT 1 on NES with 3D maps and even more involved gameplay.

Cryomancer
03-27-2017, 02:45 PM

Nobody in the TMNT fandom can even agree on what the word "original" means let alone what they want.

TigerClaw
03-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Nobody in the TMNT fandom can even agree on what the word "original" means let alone what they want.
What I'm saying is, I think people want a TMNT game that's 2D and be traditional, There been a lot of Retro style games out there,

Andrew NDB
03-27-2017, 03:03 PM
What I'm saying is, I think people want a TMNT game that's 2D and be traditional, There been a lot of Retro style games out there,

For... nostalgiacs. No mass market appeal, niche low-cost, low-profit market only.

TigerClaw
03-27-2017, 03:05 PM
For... nostalgiacs. No mass market appeal, niche low-cost, low-profit market only.
They should make a TMNT game like that Scot Pilgrim game, which pays homage to 8-bit video games.

DestronMirage22
03-27-2017, 03:06 PM
I'd love to see a kind of remake of TMNT 1 on NES with 3D maps and even more involved gameplay.

Me too. The 1st one was actually my favorite of them all. In the end, it wasn't that hard to beat, and the difficulty just added to what made it a good game.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-27-2017, 03:35 PM
They should make a TMNT game like that Scot Pilgrim game, which pays homage to 8-bit video games.

I think we should be wanting something new as opposed to a return to the old days. Just a standard 2D beat em up won't cut it.

TigerClaw
03-27-2017, 03:55 PM
I think we should be wanting something new as opposed to a return to the old days. Just a standard 2D beat em up won't cut it.
They tried a few times doing a 3D TMNT game, and many of the reviews were hating on them, They need to make a TMNT game that gives people what they want, and not half ass it.

MikeandRaph87
03-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Anything reminiscent to the side scroll beat'em ups would be awesome. When I think vidro games that is what first comes to mind. As a superhero title it serves best in that vein. Good characters to serve as bosses also make the game.

oldmanwinters
03-27-2017, 05:56 PM
I was thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue for Gameboy and Wayforward's semi recent Danger of the Ooze. TMNT 1 has some shades of it too, yeah.

Yeah, that's probably the only game I can think of that truly plays in the "Metroidvania" style. TMNT1 on NES strikes me as somewhat unique but fundamentally an action platformer.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-27-2017, 08:31 PM
They tried a few times doing a 3D TMNT game, and many of the reviews were hating on them, They need to make a TMNT game that gives people what they want, and not half ass it.

Because they were simply beat em ups and nothing more. You can only get away with it for so long. The best game would be to incorporate different aspects, elements, and possible other genres into one cohesive game like the Batman Arkham series, for example.

I do like Andrew's idea, though. It'd give the game a Breath of the Wild type of feel to it.

Cryomancer
03-28-2017, 01:09 AM
If you want more brawling TMNT games, look into OpenBOR. There's a bunch. Some are even pretty alright.

Andrew NDB
03-28-2017, 01:50 AM

Correct.

What people? The 30 year olds who are waiting for some kind of replication of "Turtles in Time" yet again, or some generic hipster/nostalgiac Final Fight clone again, like all of the other games in the 90s? No.

Current fans have no idea what kind of TMNT game they want, because there has been no kind of "good" TMNT game in the present or foreseeable past. You come at it with an innovative vision and the fans will rally.

Maelxich
03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
I am a huge fan of platinum games and the Arkham series mutants in manhattan should have been my dream game and out of the shadows should have been at least a decent arkham clone most action games now are anyway. Both games had major hiccups though like platinums weird design ideas like ninjutsu with cool down instead of a classic super move or power up meter their other games are none for and out of the shadows was a buggy short game

People have been asking for arkham and dmc style tmnt games for a while we just got poor attempts

Correct.

What people? The 30 year olds who are waiting for some kind of replication of "Turtles in Time" yet again, or some generic hipster/nostalgiac Final Fight clone again, like all of the other games in the 90s? No.

Current fans have no idea what kind of TMNT game they want, because there has been no kind of "good" TMNT game in the present or foreseeable past. You come at it with an innovative vision and the fans will rally.

I agree somewhat people were a little disappointed in both mutants in manhattan and out of the shadows for what kind of games they were I liked both as I think tmnt can fit most genres and fit those two the best the fan base is divided in this way however I think out of the shadows had a great idea have an optional arcade style mode for the fans for that classic tmnt gameplay

AquaParade
03-28-2017, 01:42 PM
The opportunity with Platinum games was as great of a shot as you could hope for, when it comes to getting tmnt back into the gaming world.

Perfect developer for the game, great look taken from the current comics. Too bad it was low-effort project, because it sure dampens future prospects.

Powder
03-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Too bad it was low-effort project, because it sure dampens future prospects.

It's really unfair that the TMNT keep getting most companies' "C-Team"...

TigerClaw
03-28-2017, 03:34 PM
The opportunity with Platinum games was as great of a shot as you could hope for, when it comes to getting tmnt back into the gaming world.

Perfect developer for the game, great look taken from the current comics. Too bad it was low-effort project, because it sure dampens future prospects.
The problem is, the game was developed by a different devision of Platinum Games, It wasn't the team that made games like Bayonetta or Transformers Devastation, It was the team who made The Legend of Korra, Which was poorly received.

When you have a game being developed by a team of a game that gotten a ton of bad reviews, that new game is gonna suffer the same fate.

Andrew NDB
03-28-2017, 03:43 PM
It's really unfair that the TMNT keep getting most companies' "C-Team"...

It's sort of a self-defeating circle. The next TMNT game will get another C team and another low budget because the previous games did badly, and the game after that will get the same treatment because of the same reasons.

Cryomancer
03-28-2017, 04:12 PM
It's too bad, since hearing "Platinum is making TMNT" and "Wayforward is making TMNT" were great things to hear and then oh right it's not gonna get the time/money it needs to actually be good.

TigerClaw
03-28-2017, 04:30 PM
It's too bad, since hearing "Platinum is making TMNT" and "Wayforward is making TMNT" were great things to hear and then oh right it's not gonna get the time/money it needs to actually be good.
Cause they will have the other division who had done previous bad games work on it, TMNT needs a developer that actually cares, and puts a lot of time and effort to make a game that everyone and the critics will love, and not make a game that's just a cash grab.

Cryomancer
03-29-2017, 12:38 AM
Cause they will have the other division who had done previous bad games work on it, TMNT needs a developer that actually cares, and puts a lot of time and effort to make a game that everyone and the critics will love, and not make a game that's just a cash grab.

Sounds to me like, especially since it's Activision that was doing this at the time, more of a publisher problem. If the publisher gives the devs 100 bucks in September and says "have it out by Christmas" or whatever, there's only so much they can do.

mikezilla2
03-30-2017, 04:08 AM
so who has them now ?

pferreira
03-30-2017, 08:19 AM
Regular people don't want that or care about that.No, you don't care. There's a difference...

I'd love to see a kind of remake of TMNT 1 on NES with 3D maps and even more involved gameplay.Considering TMNT 1 is seen as quite poor you're in the minority there.

For... nostalgiacs. No mass market appeal, niche low-cost, low-profit market only.Yeah because cared about games like Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Freedom Planet etc. Andrew you may know a lot about TMNT but your knowledge of what people want to play leaves a lot to be desired... :roll:

LeotheLateBloomer
03-30-2017, 12:21 PM
What he means is that if you take the basis of the NES game and possibly translate it into a 3D game and maybe expanding upon it, it can turn out to be interesting. You just need to execute carefully.

The ability to play as your favorite turtle and explore around the city and enter different buildings, sewers, facilities, water, etc. is actually a great idea for a game alongside fighting enemies. It can also provide us with some challenging puzzles that can keep us on our toys. The dam level challenge may be annoying in the NES game but if you take that idea, bring it into a 3D space, and tweak it a bit, it gives us a sense of variety to add to the game. Sort of like the Riddler challenges from Batman Arkham City. It gives a variety of things and activities to do. Options.

TigerClaw
03-30-2017, 12:23 PM
What he means is that if you take the basis of the NES game and possibly translate it into a 3D game and maybe expanding upon it, it can turn out to be interesting.

The ability to play as your favorite turtle and explore around the city and enter different buildings, sewers, facilities, water, etc. is actually a great idea for a game alongside fighting enemies. It can also provide us with some challenging puzzles that can keep us on our toys. The dam level challenge may be annoying in the NES game but if you take that idea, bring it into a 3D space, and tweak it a bit, it gives us a sense of variety to add to the game. Sort of like the Riddler challenges from Batman Arkham City. It gives a variety of things and activities to do. Options!
And maybe drive around the city in the Turtle Van.

LeotheLateBloomer
03-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Well I'd rather it'd be a stealth vehicle but you get what I'm saying. Turtle Van could be an alternative skin though.

Prowler
04-01-2017, 03:38 PM
The 1st TMNT NES game done right would make a pretty damn good game. Fix the controls, especially the god damn jumping, and don't respawn enemies. There. Suddenly the game seems a whole lot smoother, right?

AquaParade
04-04-2017, 02:13 PM
I'd like to see a tmnt rpg in the style of FFXV or even Persona. Turn-based or not, I think that direction could provide a chance to feel like you're playing as the whole team, and also allow for a focus on story and characters.

Maybe something like X-Men Legens, even.

Andrew NDB
04-04-2017, 02:46 PM
I'd like to see a tmnt rpg in the style of FFXV or even Persona. Turn-based or not

Now we're talking. That'd be a hell of a thing to see. Not turn-based, though... that would seem odd in a TMNT game. The action needs to flow.

Prowler
04-04-2017, 06:16 PM
What about asandbox GTA like TMNT game with Sleeping Dog's combat system?

sdp
04-04-2017, 10:51 PM
sandbox games are expensive, it'll never happen.

Another Smash Bros. or Power Stone clone should be a good fit for TMNT. It's been done before with Smash Up and Mutant Melee but they both failed to live up their potential but it's there.

pferreira
04-06-2017, 08:01 AM
I'd like to see a tmnt rpg in the style of FFXV or even Persona. Turn-based or not, I think that direction could provide a chance to feel like you're playing as the whole team, and also allow for a focus on story and characters.

Maybe something like X-Men Legens, even.A TMNT RPG would be interesting and fun.

slingtheory
04-06-2017, 10:22 AM
sandbox games are expensive, it'll never happen.
I'd say if they do a sandbox game it should be something they should build up to. Iike maybe the first game is set in a small area which gives you limited area to explore . If it sells well aND you get to do a sequel you upgrade to like a handful of hub worlds and if you manage to do a third you've proved theres enough interest in your series to justify doing a fully free roam new york complete with tmnt vehicles and buildings and sewers you can enter