PDA

View Full Version : LGBT in TMNT

CyberCubed
01-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Who are all the canon LGBT characters in TMNT?

The only one I know of is Lindsey's girlfriend from the IDW comics who worked for Null. Are there any others?

Prowler
01-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Shredder and Krang from the FW series, obviously. :tsmile:

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Vernon, from the OT.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Vernon, from the OT.
I know you're probably messing but I doubt he is gay. He seemed to have a thing for April. I suppose he could be bi, but just gay? Doubtful. In that Donatello's Degree episode he was eagerly waiting for April to give him mout to mouth lol

Plus he also seemed to have a thing for that woman in the Turtles in the Orient Express train.

Anyway, I don't think there's many confirmed LGBT characters in the TMNT universe.

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 12:48 PM
I know you're probably messing but I doubt he is gay. He seemed to have a thing for April. I suppose he could be bi, but just gay? Doubtful. In that Donatello's Degree episode he was eagerly waiting for April to give him mout to mouth lol

Plus he also seemed to have a thing for that woman in the Turtles in the Orient Express train.

Anyway, I don't think there's many confirmed LGBT characters in the TMNT universe.

LGBT stands for: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans*gender.

Utrommaniac
01-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Sally has been confirmed a lesbian, but only by the creators.

Given how Ma'riell described Ch'rell, I'm pretty sure he was several levels above being another ordinary loyal soldier for Krang.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 01:01 PM
LGBT stands for: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans*gender.
I know. Like I said, I suppose he could be bi at best. He did seem to find females attractive.

neatoman
01-07-2017, 01:09 PM
I guess the Cyber Shredder is technically trans?:lol:

As for any serious answers, I can't really think of any aside from Lindsey and her ex...

DestronMirage22
01-07-2017, 01:13 PM
That one lady from the Battle Nexus in Mirage Vol. 4.

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Considering her relationship with Leonardo, I think it'd be safe to say that Mirage's Radical was likely Pansexual.

Powder
01-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Michelangelo crossdresses a lot.

oldmanwinters
01-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Michelangelo crossdresses a lot.

Yeah, "Wedding Bells & Bytes" got very awkward.

ToTheNines
01-07-2017, 02:06 PM
4kids Don, for sure. Probably 4kids Leo.

Nick Mikey, 100%.

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 02:19 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that every version of Michelangelo is at least a least a 3 on the Kinsey.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 02:29 PM
I remember a gay user here saying that the only character he could see being gay in the TMNT world was 2k3 baxter.

Nick Mikey, 100%.
When has 2k3 Don ever shown interest in males? All i remember was him being friendly with April, which led people to believe he had a crush on her.

2k3 Leo? Why?

I think it's pretty safe to say that every version of Michelangelo is at least a least a 3 on the Kinsey.
If we're going down the stereotypical route then 87 Mike doesn't come across as liking males at all, imo. He's that chill popular dude type who'd be popular at school with girls.

neatoman
01-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Nick Mikey, 100%.

But what about...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bu6PwzRr0uw/hqdefault.jpg

Prowler
01-07-2017, 02:30 PM
This thread is so tumblresque.

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 02:33 PM
This thread is so tumblresque.

Spoken like someone who clearly never hangs out on tumblr.

80s Toon Mike was ripped pretty much straight from the character of Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Dude had absolutely no romantic storylines.

And being a 3 on the Kinsey doesn't mean one has to show attraction to dudes, or can't show attraction to women.
In my opinion any good version of Mike is at very least bi.
I'd consider him pan, given his relationship in the later Mirage books.

Raph, on the other hand. That's a one-turtle straight pride parade if ever there was one.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Spoken like someone who clearly never hangs out on tumblr.
Well someone had to say that :lol:

And yeah I know not all of tumblr is like that. But it seems to be a popular place for SJWs to congregate.

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Well someone had to say that :lol:

And yeah I know not all of tumblr is like that. But it seems to be a popular place for SJWs to congregate.

You say SJWs but what I think you mean are women.

CyberCubed
01-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Yeah, "Wedding Bells & Bytes" got very awkward.

I think the very first Michaelangelo crossdressing scene ever is in Season 2 of the original cartoon where he puts on the hawaiian hula dancer outfit to flirt with the plant mutant that Baxter and Shredder let loose on the city.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 02:40 PM
You say SJWs but what I think you mean are women.
I guess there's more women than men who fit into the "SJW" label, but no I don't think most women are like that at all.

neatoman
01-07-2017, 02:41 PM
tumblr, huh? Let's see what tumblr gives us...

http://nodelinquent.tumblr.com/
https://68.media.tumblr.com/30c3df678d13e86e57190792b16f974c/tumblr_odbaesDfVp1qhciipo1_540.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/c920c016f71b1378602b21f8566f2ffa/tumblr_odbaesDfVp1qhciipo2_540.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/2ff24ae78c9e6120cda5b11eab8019a4/tumblr_odbaesDfVp1qhciipo3_540.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/ed3d3fb77121aee81da64111674f3e4f/tumblr_odbaesDfVp1qhciipo5_540.pnghttps://68.media.tumblr.com/4099d4764a9f0aad1f8968bafee05366/tumblr_odbaesDfVp1qhciipo4_540.png

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 02:42 PM
I think the very first Michaelangelo crossdressing scene ever is in Season 2 of the original cartoon where he puts on the hawaiian hula dancer outfit to flirt with the plant mutant that Baxter and Shredder let loose on the city.

I wish I could remember which turtle dresses in drag for the Mirage Halloween one shot...

ToTheNines
01-07-2017, 02:44 PM
When has 2k3 Don ever shown interest in males? All i remember was him being friendly with April, which led people to believe he had a crush on her.

2k3 Leo? Why?

4kids Don was super gay for Adam in season 5. And he was always carrying his little man-purse.

4kids Leo just sets off my gaydar, sometimes. Especially with Usagi at Christmas.

80s Toon Mike was ripped pretty much straight from the character of Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Dude had absolutely no romantic storylines.

He and Kala were a thing.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 02:45 PM
4kids Don was super gay for Adam in season 5. And he was always carrying his little man-purse.

4kids Leo just sets off my gaydar, sometimes. Especially with Usagi at Christmas.

He and Kala were a thing.
What about Leo and Karai. Doesn't that set off your "straight-dar" :P?

ToTheNines
01-07-2017, 02:50 PM
I didn't perceive that as romantic. He didn't seem to give a rats ass when she ended up with Chaplin.

Either way, could be bi.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 02:51 PM
I didn't perceive that as romantic. He didn't seem to give a rats ass when she ended up with Chaplin.

Either way, could be bi.
Well i suppose in the 87 toon his behaviour around Lotus was way less subtle.

ToTheNines
01-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Agreed.

I also think Karai and Shini are gay. I'll probably think of a few more.

CyberCubed
01-07-2017, 02:57 PM
I called Karai and Shinigami being lesbians from her first episode.

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 03:04 PM
So much bi-erasure, so little time.

ToTheNines
01-07-2017, 03:08 PM
I called Karai and Shinigami being lesbians from her first episode.

I called Karai back in season 1. Remember her outfit in "Karai's Vendetta"? I'm surprised her jean jacket didn't have "BUTCH" stenciled on the back.

But yeah, Shini is totally in love with her.

IndigoErth
01-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Raph, on the other hand. That's a one-turtle straight pride parade if ever there was one.
I dunno... If people want to point at Leo and Usagi, gotta be said that Raph's certainly got his own far longer and closer bromance with Casey, but maybe the interspecies thing gets in the way. :trazz:

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 03:54 PM
I dunno... If people want to point at Leo and Usagi, gotta be said that Raph's certainly got his own far longer and closer bromance with Casey, but maybe the interspecies thing gets in the way. :trazz:

I could see that with Mirage, for certain.

DestronMirage22
01-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Here we go: the first confirmed LGBT TMNT character: E'ro'chk/Soowiiksa.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/3/3d/Soowiiksa.png/revision/latest/top-crop/width/195/height/195?cb=20151003150241
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/a/a2/E%27ro%27chk.png/revision/latest/top-crop/width/195/height/195?cb=20151003150722
As seen in the second picture, she has wifes.

CyberCubed
01-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Did you guys notice I made the thread title rhyme? I did that on purpose, I bet you guys all thought that was clever, right? :thumbsup:

Candy Kappa
01-07-2017, 05:05 PM
I wish I could remember which turtle dresses in drag for the Mirage Halloween one shot...

Leo was dressed as a old lady in the Don't Judge A Book short.

IndigoErth
01-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Did you guys notice I made the thread title rhyme? I did that on purpose, I bet you guys all thought that was clever, right? :thumbsup:
Have a cookie.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x3eXtdboomI/maxresdefault.jpg

https://youtu.be/x3eXtdboomI

Jester
01-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Have a cookie.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x3eXtdboomI/maxresdefault.jpg

https://youtu.be/x3eXtdboomI
VKcAYMb5uk4

sdp
01-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Every single character is gay, have you guys not checked fan-art on tumblr?

PApagreg
01-07-2017, 07:39 PM
I called Karai back in season 1. Remember her outfit in "Karai's Vendetta"? I'm surprised her jean jacket didn't have "BUTCH" stenciled on the back.

But yeah, Shini is totally in love with her.

Well she was riding a motorcycle so I can understand why she has some heavy clothing though I do agree that Shini wants some of that Hamato carpet

Also 2k3 Leo always struck me as asexual.

ToTheNines
01-07-2017, 08:36 PM
I thought he was acting pretty gay towards Casey in the beginning of "Dragon's Brew". But yeah, he's certainly an eccentric dude.

4kids Mikey seemed pretty asexual though. He maybe made a few innocuous remarks about April's looks, but never really showed any interest in anyone the whole series.

PApagreg
01-07-2017, 08:41 PM
I thought he was acting pretty gay towards Casey in the beginning of "Dragon's Brew". But yeah, he's certainly an eccentric dude.

4kids Mikey seemed pretty asexual though. He maybe made a few innocuous remarks about April's looks, but never really showed any interest in anyone the whole series.

He seemed to act more "edgy" towards Casey in that episode(just rewatched the episode) than wanting to f$%k him. As for Mikey never thought of him as asexual but thats not too far out

MsMarvelDuckie
01-07-2017, 09:00 PM
My breakdown-

87 toon: Leo Raph and Mikey- 100% straight (April, Lotus, Mona Lisa, Kala, Buffy Shellhammer, and even Irma) Don- POSSIBLY bi or asexual- closest we ever get is his getting more friendly with Irma in later season eps like Donatello's Degree and Invasion of the Turtle-Snatchers.

4Kids: all more or less straight- Leo seems interested in Karai, Mikey only crossdresses when the others FORCE him to and always protests (same goes for 87- and I suspect they only make him do it because he's the only one capable of pulling off such a ruse due to his girlish scream) Don had that brief crush on April. Raph and Joi; otherwise we got nadda.

Nick- so far all four turtles have proven distictly straight; Mikey has a thing for Renet AND Shini, Raph has Mona Lisa again, Leo/Karai sort of have something, and of course Donnie's gaga for April. Karai could be bi, and Shini as well.

Ulisa
01-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Hmm, I'd say the only ones that I thought of as being bi or gay were probably Karai and Shini from the Nick series. The other series either struck me as straight or asexual.

Though, Sam Riegel did state at Saboten Con a few years ago that with 2k3 Donatello, he played him as homosexual because "I assume all my characters are homosexual unless I'm told otherwise."

Prowler
01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
My breakdown-

87 toon: Leo Raph and Mikey- 100% straight (April, Lotus, Mona Lisa, Kala, Buffy Shellhammer, and even Irma) Don- POSSIBLY bi or asexual- closest we ever get is his getting more friendly with Irma in later season eps like Donatello's Degree and Invasion of the Turtle-Snatchers.

4Kids: all more or less straight- Leo seems interested in Karai, Mikey only crossdresses when the others FORCE him to and always protests (same goes for 87- and I suspect they only make him do it because he's the only one capable of pulling off such a ruse due to his girlish scream) Don had that brief crush on April. Raph and Joi; otherwise we got nadda.

Nick- so far all four turtles have proven distictly straight; Mikey has a thing for Renet AND Shini, Raph has Mona Lisa again, Leo/Karai sort of have something, and of course Donnie's gaga for April. Karai could be bi, and Shini as well.
I don't see what makes you think 87 Don might be bi considering he hasn't shown any interest in any male. And the closest thing he showed to an interest was blushing after April kissed him or something. Also remember that episode where, at the end, the Turtles argue who April winked at at the end of the emission and then it turned out to be Splinter? All four Turtles argued she winked at them.

And ofc the Irma chemistry thing in Donatello's Degree.

So yes, I'd say straight.

He got lucky he didn't consume that love potion thing, though. But I'm sure he'd be straight.

Coola Yagami
01-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Pretty sure two hot girls can be childhood friends and not be gay for each other. I know karai and shini are hot and evil and dressed in black and all that, but don't ship them as gay just because you wish they were.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Pretty sure two hot girls can be childhood friends and not be gay for each other. I know karai and shini are hot and evil and dressed in black and all that, but don't ship them as gay just because you wish they were.
There's this believe held by many that all chicks are somewhat bi and like to make out with each other at parties and **** whilst drunk.

What Hollywood does to people's perceptions...

Utrommaniac
01-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Well, this thread is going exactly as I thought it would.

Personally, I take Leonardo to be extremely ace. His relationship with Karai is not even all that romantic, at least in 23K. He feels a more moral need to "save" her from Shredder's influence than hopes of a relationship with her. Which is good, because 23K Karai seems like she's in her mid 20's.

Coola Yagami
01-07-2017, 09:54 PM
There's this believe held by many that all chicks are somewhat bi and like to make out with each other at parties and **** whilst drunk.

Yep. I heard that and knew a pair like that, but other than that I know tons of girls that are close friends but 100% straight. I think between Hollywood and some of us wishing that certain hotries would go down on each other, most people are too quick to assume some friends just have to be gay for each other.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Yep. I heard that and knew a pair like that, but other than that I know tons of girls that are close friends but 100% straight. I think between Hollywood and some of us wishing that certain hotries would go down on each other, most people are too quick to assume some friends just have to be gay for each other.
They're like Jerry Seinfeld, who imagines girls are always talking smack about others and having lingerie pillow fights when they're alone together.

PApagreg
01-07-2017, 10:15 PM

Oh come on Coola, you mean to tell me with the scenes you saw with Shini and Karai, you don't think Shini wants to be more then friends. I'm just saying Shini looks like she wants to be more closer, now I'm not sure whether or not Karai share those feeling but Shini does look like she wants some.

Prowler
01-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Tbh I kinda like how TMNT doesn't seem to be as relationship heavy as other franchises. I kinda like the idea of the Turtles being asexual. That or simple forever single/alone. Dunno why but I do.

plastroncafe
01-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Leo was dressed as a old lady in the Don't Judge A Book short.

THANK YOU!
That was going to drive me crazy all night!

Though, Sam Riegel did state at Saboten Con a few years ago that with 2k3 Donatello, he played him as homosexual because "I assume all my characters are homosexual unless I'm told otherwise."

This...right here is an awesome quote.

I'm with Riegel on this one: everyone is default bi until proven otherwise.

Tbh I kinda like how TMNT doesn't seem to be as relationship heavy as other franchises. I kinda like the idea of the Turtles being asexual. That or simple forever single/alone. Dunno why but I do.

This for me is one of the things that makes "Sons of the Silent Age" one of my favorite Mirage books. Not that they all aren't hyper aware of the fact that they're not human, and even if they love like humans, they're still...not humans. And April's realization that some of Raph's more erratic behaviors stem from him dealing with it.

It's why I prefer the turtles be in a universe lacking in other mutants.

Coola Yagami
01-08-2017, 12:14 AM
Oh come on Coola, you mean to tell me with the scenes you saw with Shini and Karai, you don't think Shini wants to be more then friends. I'm just saying Shini looks like she wants to be more closer, now I'm not sure whether or not Karai share those feeling but Shini does look like she wants some.

Not particularly. I mean girls usually naturally act more affectionate than guys. Guys can't even hug without saying 'no homo' for fear of their masculinity being put into question.

ToTheNines
01-08-2017, 04:55 AM
Cody Jones might have been gay. He was always ducking Starlee's attempts to be with him.

Guys can't even hug without saying 'no homo' for fear of their masculinity being put into question.

That's not true.

ToTheNines
01-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Don had that brief crush on April. Raph and Joi; otherwise we got nadda.

Don had Adam from the Ninja Tribunal. His interactions with April never seemed romantic to me, and he didn't care when she went for Casey.

Mikey has a thing for Renet AND Shini

And Bradford... and Leatherhead....

neatoman
01-08-2017, 05:27 AM
Cody Jones might have been gay. He was always ducking Starlee's attempts to be with him.

Maybe he's just not into blue chicks?

AlessandraDC
01-08-2017, 07:51 AM
I think the only confirmed character is Lindsay in IDW. I could see some of the boys being bi, pan, or demisexual, but of course, nothing confirmed.

Ceres
01-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Krang no doubt could be a bisexual, seeing as he had a thing for Shreeka in the past and his current partnership with Shredder conducts that he has a gay root too.

To the topic Karai/Shinigami...its all different views, they can be like best friends from childhood or lesbians, either way is possible, to rule one out however is not really a solution. In the end everything stays a headcanon until the creators state it.

plastroncafe
01-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Not particularly. I mean girls usually naturally act more affectionate than guys. Guys can't even hug without saying 'no homo' for fear of their masculinity being put into question.

A yup.
Women and girls are allowed to be affectionate towards each other.

Physical affection does not not always a sexual attraction make,

Krang no doubt could be a bisexual, seeing as he had a thing for Shreeka in the past and his current partnership with Shredder conducts that he has a gay root too.

To the topic Karai/Shinigami...its all different views, they can be like best friends from childhood or lesbians, either way is possible, to rule one out however is not really a solution. In the end everything stays a headcanon until the creators state it.

I don't believe that using human sexual orientations or even human genders really works for alien creatures.

DisKosh
01-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Nick Mikey seems to have a crush on Leatherhead (although it would be ****ed up if it were reciprocated). I think it's cute, like a kid having a crush on their baby sitter or something. :)

I don't think you can really pin a sexuality or gender onto it but 2003 Mikey doesn't care about gender roles which is refreshing. He doesn't mind dressing up in female clothing, in fact he appears to enjoy it. That alone isn't really enough to pin down a specific gender but he could be non-binary preferring he/him pronouns.

In the 2003 series Casey and Raph sometimes seem more like a couple than friends. There's this one episode where they're standing there and Casey's arm's draped casually over his shoulder like an old couple. It's really sweet. :)

Ceres
01-08-2017, 09:54 AM
A yup.
Women and girls are allowed to be affectionate towards each other.

Physical affection does not not always a sexual attraction make,

I don't believe that using human sexual orientations or even human genders really works for alien creatures.

So this whole thread would lead ad absurdum seeing as this also goes for mutants and whatever else creatures there is in the TMNT universe

plastroncafe
01-08-2017, 11:04 AM
So this whole thread would lead ad absurdum seeing as this also goes for mutants and whatever else creatures there is in the TMNT universe

I would say that's likely true for non-Terran characters, but the turtles and any home-grown mutants are still steeped in human culture. Enough that I think it could be argued that such designation/categories would be applicable.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-08-2017, 03:08 PM
I don't see what makes you think 87 Don might be bi considering he hasn't shown any interest in any male. And the closest thing he showed to an interest was blushing after April kissed him or something. Also remember that episode where, at the end, the Turtles argue who April winked at at the end of the emission and then it turned out to be Splinter? All four Turtles argued she winked at them.

And ofc the Irma chemistry thing in Donatello's Degree.

So yes, I'd say straight.

He got lucky he didn't consume that love potion thing, though. But I'm sure he'd be straight.

Notice I said POSSIBLY bi/asexual- other than the one or two incidents with Irma and April, he really didn't seem to have ANY interest in females, which would perhaps indicate he had "other" interests, or none at all.

Don had Adam from the Ninja Tribunal. His interactions with April never seemed romantic to me, and he didn't care when she went for Casey.

And Bradford... and Leatherhead....

In the first few episodes (before April and Casey even met, and in a few before they became a "thing", Don's interest in her was hinted at being more than just admiration or friendship over mutual interests (science), as he seemed to spend the most time with her. So there has always been speculation that he had a mild crush. Note the word MILD. He eventually moved on, though even in Wedding Bells and Bytes he seemed to still have feelings for her beyond mere friendship.

Mikey- Leatherhead and Bradford? SERIOUSLY??!! Bradford was just plain hero-worship, which is a whole different thin. And Leatherhead is clearly just a BFF situation- nothing more than a platonic "big brother" kind of thing. You've been on Deviant Art, haven't you?

Nick Mikey seems to have a crush on Leatherhead (although it would be ****ed up if it were reciprocated). I think it's cute, like a kid having a crush on their baby sitter or something. :)

I don't think you can really pin a sexuality or gender onto it but 2003 Mikey doesn't care about gender roles which is refreshing. He doesn't mind dressing up in female clothing, in fact he appears to enjoy it. That alone isn't really enough to pin down a specific gender but he could be non-binary preferring he/him pronouns.

In the 2003 series Casey and Raph sometimes seem more like a couple than friends. There's this one episode where they're standing there and Casey's arm's draped casually over his shoulder like an old couple. It's really sweet. :)

No, that's not a "crush", Mikey views him as a "big brother" more than anything. Possibly also feels a sense of responsibility toward him since he felt guilty when LH ended up trapped in Dimension X, but it is clearly platonic. He's just very demonstrative with his affection, unlike his brothers- he's a hugger.

In all the eps where he has to "play dress-up". Mikey in 2k3 seems to be annoyed by the fact that HE always plays the "girl" part, which seems to indicate that he may feel it makes him appear gay. (Could be a cover-up, but in his case, I doubt it- he's too open with his thoughts and feelings most of the time for that to be a real possibility.) He also seems to like Sydney, once he realized she wasn't just "a monster". The fact that he never really gravitates toward anyone of either gender in 2k3 may have just been due to lack of options, though his apparent vanity (especially in FF season) and insistence that he's the "cute/good-looking" one makes me think he would be a total ladies' man if given half a chance....

Raph and Casey are an interesting study in machismo stereotypes. On the one hand, there COULD be something going on there that neither wants to admit to, but on the other, it generally looks like nothing more than a couple of guys showing their friendship in the only way acceptable to either.

Andrew NDB
01-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Not touching this thread with a ten foot pole.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Uh, I think you just DID!! :trazz::tlol:

PApagreg
01-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Not touching this thread with a ten foot pole.
I think commenting on it not only metaphorical counts as touching it but caressing it

As for 2k3 Don didn't he also have a crush on that alien chick or the mutant chick or am I remebering it wrong

As for Shini and Karai even in terms of girls being more affectionate towards another you gotta admit there is something between them

https://secure.static.tumblr.com/897506b3971b66f4a6d0e4db4b9c8832/gagnwst/vK5obzq59/tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1845nuijrttwo00k4g4oc8 ksc_640.gif

ToTheNines
01-08-2017, 06:17 PM
I used to think IDW Mike and Woody could be gay, but that was back in like 2011/early 2012.

Mikey- Leatherhead and Bradford? SERIOUSLY??!! Bradford was just plain hero-worship, which is a whole different thin. And Leatherhead is clearly just a BFF situation- nothing more than a platonic "big brother" kind of thing. You've been on Deviant Art, haven't you?

Dude, he went so far as to spitefully unfriend him on Facebook after being wronged by him. That's love lol.

He totally wanted to peak under that hakama.

As for Shini and Karai even in terms of girls being more affectionate towards another you gotta admit there is something between them

https://secure.static.tumblr.com/897506b3971b66f4a6d0e4db4b9c8832/gagnwst/vK5obzq59/tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1845nuijrttwo00k4g4oc8 ksc_640.gif

Yeah, it dosen't even have to go as far as Nieli or Yeo, but either the animators or story board team thinks Shini loves Karai.

Andrew NDB
01-08-2017, 06:18 PM
All right, I'll nudge it. Not up on all the different orientation terms, but for Mirage...

Leo, Mike, Don, and Raph are all straight. And yes, that means they might bone alien or mutated chicks. I'm pretty sure Laird or Eastman would say the Turtles wouldn't do human chicks, but then there's the Leonardo-Radical issue that squeaked by under Murphy's sole watch... so that happened and I'm grudgingly OK with it remaining.

There.

Louis Braunze seemed kind of... questionable, in Volume 2. And who knows what Rat King is.

IndigoErth
01-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Yeah, agree, typing out a reply counts as fondling the thread.

As for 2k3 Don didn't he also have a crush on that alien chick or the mutant chick or am I remebering it wrong
That blue(?) alien warrior, I think? Who fought the current ruler of her people to take over the position for the better.

but then there's the Leonardo-Radical issue that squeaked by under Murphy's sole watch...
Historically... definitely human fever in that one. lol Has he ever been into anyone who isn't human?

Andrew NDB
01-08-2017, 06:22 PM
That blue(?) alien warrior, I think? Who fought the current ruler or her people to take over the position for the better.

Jhanna? She's in Mirage, too. Mike Dooney character. But not blue in that. And will have a big return in "Origin."

ToTheNines
01-08-2017, 06:28 PM
There's also this scene:

7K7hL_p0kXQ

Historically... definitely human fever in that one. lol Has he ever been into anyone who isn't human?

In "Beyond the Known Universe", he flirts with that alien woman before getting chased off by her man.

He wanted to slay Venus pretty badly in TNM.

That's all I got.

CyberCubed
01-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Come to think of it, a lot of the one-shot human characters in the original cartoon, especially the ones played by Cam Clarke or Rob Paulsen were probably gay.

Cam and Rob would always put on this flamboyant accent when playing one-episode human characters in the OT. The fat ship guy in "Funny, they shrunk Michaelangelo" comes to mind, as well as the guy who had wax paint model robots of a whole bunch of TMNT related characters.

Prowler
01-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Isn't Cam Clarke gay, though? I dunno if Rob Paulsen is, however. never heard anything about him being gay or not. But Paulsen has a very suitable voice for cartoon characters.

ToTheNines
01-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Clarke is, Paulsen is not.

But yes, cubed, Monroe Q. Flem was absolutely gay.

ABrown
01-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Dr. Abigail Finn - http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Abigail_Finn

snake
01-09-2017, 12:51 AM

Oh yeah, totally. You just know.

CyberCubed
01-09-2017, 01:12 AM
I remember when Fast Forward was originally airing people thought Serling was gay. I'm not sure its possible for there to be homosexual robots, but then again Futurama has those.

ToTheNines
01-09-2017, 03:01 AM
And Star Wars.

Utrommaniac
01-09-2017, 11:32 AM
I've realized both of those examples are gold-plated. Hmm.

Andrew NDB
01-09-2017, 01:05 PM

http://cdn.attackofthecute.com/December-12-2011-03-55-26-technohell1.jpeg

MsMarvelDuckie
01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
OMG!! I forgot about Finn! Yeah SHE was for sure. And I had forgotten Don's fling with Jhanna too. Yeah he's straight in 2k3. Raph might be questionable though.

Mikey gay for Bradford?! Uh, no. Strictly hero-worship. Granted, that can often border on a "love obsession" of sorts, but it is more a case of wanting to be LIKE someone, or even to be in their presence a lot, not to be WITH them in that sense. There is a difference.

Hmm, I might say bi for Vernon, because if he wasn't walking both sides of the street I don't know who WAS! The pink shirt and purple suspenders and his preening like a peacock, and girly scream whenever exposed to actual danger gave him away. He certainly fawned over Burne enough....

Andrew NDB
01-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Hmm, I might say bi for Vernon, because if he wasn't walking both sides of the street I don't know who WAS! The pink shirt and purple suspenders

Lots of dudes in business wear pink shirts that aren't raging homosexuals. It goes well with a gray suit.

Powder
01-09-2017, 02:19 PM
I remember she tried to make the argument that Donatello was gay for wearing purple, now this. How ignorant.

These threads are never a good idea. This forum is incapable of merely stating the facts when asked about orientations in the the turtleverse. It immediately spirals into shipping, adult head-canon, stereotyping, etc.

Prowler
01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
I remember she tried to make the argument that Donatello was gay for wearing purple, now this. How ignorant.

These threads are never a good idea. This forum is incapable of merely stating the facts when asked about orientations in the the turtleverse. It immediately spirals into shipping, adult head-canon, stereotyping, etc.
Yeah honestly Vernon doens't come across as gay to me just because he wears pink.

I wonder if people thought Bret Hart was gay back in the day...

plastroncafe
01-09-2017, 02:34 PM
I agree, the stereotyping is a bit much.

What people wear doesn't easily illustrate their sexual preferences.
Well...lemme rephrase that, it doesn't usually.
There are certainly some very specific articles of clothing that go above and beyond making clear what trips a person's trigger, but most of the time average day-wear is not of that ilk.

Sure, these days pink is back to being a masculine color, but in the 1980s it wasn't. Kind of like how these days anyone can have ear piercings, but in the 80s, "Left was right, but right was wrong."

Vernon was the straight media's perception of an effeminate man, ie: a gay dude.

We can argue "Facts" about a character, but let's be honest...just because Leo crushed on Karai doesn't mean he's straight. It means he crushed on a female character.

Because he wore pink?
No.
Because he greased himself up before rolling around on a mat with other muscle bound and equally greased men for money?
Maybe.

There are two places I can regularly see folks like that, wearing stuff like that:
Pride and the WWE.

Andrew NDB
01-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Sure, these days pink is back to being a masculine color, but in the 1980s it wasn't.

https://whiteelephantintheroom.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/don-johnson-20080122-366588.jpg

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/c_limit,w_680/f_auto,fl_lossy,pg_1,q_auto/pzlldkknwugfxras8yjf.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/de/15/a7/de15a7742461f9b546d8ab0907e6ce01.jpg

plastroncafe
01-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Wow, you found those fast, Andrew.
Personal collection?

I'd argue that all three are examples of hyper masculine straight dudes, and are exceptions that don't disprove the rule.

Prowler
01-09-2017, 02:42 PM
I agree, the stereotyping is a bit much.

What people wear doesn't easily illustrate their sexual preferences.
Well...lemme rephrase that, it doesn't usually.
There are certainly some very specific articles of clothing that go above and beyond making clear what trips a person's trigger, but most of the time average day-wear is not of that ilk.

Sure, these days pink is back to being a masculine color, but in the 1980s it wasn't. Kind of like how these days anyone can have ear piercings, but in the 80s, "Left was right, but right was wrong."

Vernon was the straight media's perception of an effeminate man, ie: a gay dude.

We can argue "Facts" about a character, but let's be honest...just because Leo crushed on Karai doesn't mean he's straight. It means he crushed on a female character.

Because he wore pink?
No.
Because he greased himself up before rolling around on a mat with other muscle bound and equally greased men for money?
Maybe.

There are two places I can regularly see folks like that, wearing stuff like that:
Pride and the WWE.
Yeah wrestling and mma are considered gay by some. I guess they think it'd be a good idea for combat sports to be practised whilst wearing raincoats... sounds very practical.

As for pink makign a comeback as a masculine colour, in my country, wiggers wore pink for a while in the mid-late 90s. You'd see a big group of them all wearing pink. It was a hilarious sight. Gangsta urban youth wearing pink. What a visual.

neatoman
01-09-2017, 02:44 PM
http://cdn.attackofthecute.com/December-12-2011-03-55-26-technohell1.jpeg

Didn't you already know about her?

plastroncafe
01-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Yeah wrestling and mma are considered gay by some. I guess they think it'd be a good idea for combat sports to be practised whilst wearing raincoats... sounds very practical.

There's wearing a uniform for a sport, ie: a wrestling singlet.
And then there's being The Rock, and wearing bikini briefs.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about seeing the skin, I'm just saying...I've been to fetish clubs were people don't show as much of it.

Prowler
01-09-2017, 02:47 PM
There's wearing a uniform for a sport, ie: a wrestling singlet.
And then there's being The Rock, and wearing bikini briefs.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about seeing the skin, I'm just saying...I've been to fetish clubs were people don't show as much of it.
The Rock must be a great cook for so many chicks to want to smell it.

ssjup81
01-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Wow, you found those fast, Andrew.
Personal collection?

I'd argue that all three are examples of hyper masculine straight dudes, and are exceptions that don't disprove the rule.It was the 80s, guys wearing pink shirts or pastels in general seemed common back then.

That aside, not counting the first season, Vernon just came across as wimpy and weak to me as a contrast to April and Irma, whom were way braver than him despite being women. I figured that was the point. Vernon did seem to have a thing for April some eps.

IndigoErth
01-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah, no matter his orientation, I mostly always took Vernon to just be a wuss who might have had an overly pampered childhood that left him childish and wimpy as an adult. He kind of reeks of someone who was influenced by snobby parents.

Princess Anri
01-09-2017, 06:59 PM
You want a fist in the mouth?

I've never even looked at another guy before.

CyberCubed
01-09-2017, 07:45 PM
There are a lot of offensive gay jokes in 80's and 90's movies in general. For some reason you could make fun of gays back then and it was considered acceptable.

Anyone remember in Adventures in Baby-Sitting, the "Thor is gay" line? And then the kid almost got beat up?

IndigoErth
01-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Unfortunately the growing up of society is a slow process.

(Though we seem to have started going in reverse now that offending and humiliating people then labeling them as "too sensitive" for reacting is 'in'.)

Andrew NDB
01-09-2017, 08:26 PM
There are a lot of offensive gay jokes in 80's and 90's movies in general. For some reason you could make fun of gays back then and it was considered acceptable.

More recently than that. I seem to recall even in The Fast & The Furious, Vince tells Brian: "Why don't you try Fat Burger from now on? You can get yourself a cheese and fries for 2.95, f****t!"

MsMarvelDuckie
01-09-2017, 09:06 PM

No I never said Donatello was gay for wearing purple- pay attention next time. I made the observation that some fans have pegged him as such because of it and some of his personality traits. It's all over Deviant Art and Inkbunny. Apparently Donnie is the least masculine one, according to them, and some associate the purple with that. (Then there's the purple Teletubbie, who actually IS. Might have something to do with that conception.)

Yeah honestly Vernon doens't come across as gay to me just because he wears pink.

Vernon wasn't just the pink shirt though. It was the overstyled hair, the constant concern for ruining his "good looks" and his squeamishness and lack of masculinity. It's true he tried to get April to kiss him once or twice, but he had no interest in any other women- not even Burne's girlfriend whom he simply ignored. I suppose these days he might be considered a metrosexual but in the 80's?! Yeah he was pretty ambiguous at best. Never saw him as fully straight even as a kid. Too many "unmanly" traits in how he acted and talked. (In particular his aversion to doing anything that might get him hurt or dirty. Or maybe he was just a germophobe a la Monk. I dunno he just seemed really effeminite.)

Prowler
01-09-2017, 09:21 PM
I don't understand why several people consider Donatello "the least masculine Turtle". I mean why? So because he's tech savy that means he's not as good of a fighter? In the FW series he surely didn't seem to have issues with fighting. In fact, Raphael was the one less eager to fight of all of them "Do we really have to?". In 2k3, Donatello might not be so outspoken but that doesn't make a man gay. He doesn't come across as unmanly in the TMNT movies and the Mirage comics I've seen/read.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Probably has more to do with general nerdiness than anything. Or his pacifistic tendancies. And maybe his lack of interest in dating/girls up until Nick? I think some fans just consider him the "safe" one, ie he is less likely to go gaga over a female (Nick notwithstanding) and to be the one you could just hang with as a male friend.

At any rate he's definitely the one least hyper-masculine unlike Raph.

plastroncafe
01-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Cultural mileage may vary, but here in the States...yeah, Donnie doesn't rank very highly against the yardstick that is the American Concept of Masculinity.

Compare what you would consider his strongest traits against the criteria for "Manliest Movies" and you're not going to see a whole lot of overlap.

And particularly in the 80s, anyone who didn't measure up was either a "girl" or a "f@g."

Both of which are equally as loathsome.

Prowler
01-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Cultural mileage may vary, but here in the States...yeah, Donnie doesn't rank very highly against the yardstick that is the American Concept of Masculinity.

Compare what you would consider his strongest traits against the criteria for "Manliest Movies" and you're not going to see a whole lot of overlap.

And particularly in the 80s, anyone who didn't measure up was either a "girl" or a "f@g."

Both of which are equally as loathsome.
But movies like Predator and men like Schwarzenegger aren't really what your typical male is. I've never taken part in a guerrilla war nor do am I roided freak bodybuilder. Am I unmanly and gay? :lol:

Just because Donatello wouldn't play the main role in Predator doesn't mean he's unmanly. I could see the Mirage Turtles in Fight Club or in a movie like Das Boot, though.

plastroncafe
01-09-2017, 10:02 PM
But movies like Predator and men like Schwarzenegger aren't really what your typical male is. I've never taken part in a guerrilla war nor do am I roided freak bodybuilder. Am I unmanly and gay? :lol:

Very few men are like that, and yet movies of their ilk do very well. So well that they're considered by many, again I refer you to the thread, as the pinnacle of masculine behavior.

It's kind of why they're referred to as Male Power Fantasy.

Look at the PD Turtle movies...even there Donnie is a 'roided out freak of a body builder.

Just because Donatello wouldn't play the main role in Predator doesn't mean he's unmanly. I could see the Mirage Turtles in Fight Club or in a movie like Das Boot, though.

Fight Club is all about the deconstruction of the Male Power Fantasy.
In that movie? Donnie would be "Jack" and Raph would be Tyler Durden.
Actually...maybe that'd be Mike. He's way more charismatic.

And to be honest, I think more media should focus on Mike and Don.

Prowler
01-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Very few men are like that, and yet movies of their ilk do very well. So well that they're considered by many, again I refer you to the thread, as the pinnacle of masculine behavior.

It's kind of why they're referred to as Male Power Fantasy.

Look at the PD Turtle movies...even there Donnie is a 'roided out freak of a body builder.

Fight Club is all about the deconstruction of the Male Power Fantasy.
In that movie? Donnie would be "Jack" and Raph would be Tyler Durden.
Actually...maybe that'd be Mike. He's way more charismatic.

And to be honest, I think more media should focus on Mike and Don.
Well it depends on the individual. I personally wouldn't want to look like Schwarzeneger but I like reading and watching stuff about war and sports.

I wish I could invent just about anything like Donatello. Plus, it's not like eh sits back and never fights. He definitely is courageous... unlike 2k3 Mike at times who can be quite a chicken.

God don't mention PD Turtles. That s*it is an abomination.

IndigoErth
01-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Or his pacifistic tendancies.
That's mainly the part that I've assumed it to be. The least aggressive of the bunch and the least 'in your face' type, not fitting society's very limited idea/ideal of masculinity. And doesn't help that his demeanor exists alongside the clear contrast of Raph having more than his share of raw aggression - who, what, many might think he'd be leader if he wasn't so unhinged, but why... because aggression?

Side note - with regard to aggressiveness and masculinity in alpha/leadership, Reader's Digest has a nice article: Think You Know What “Alpha Male” Means? These Wolves Will Prove You Wrong (http://www.rd.com/advice/relationships/alpha-male-wolves/)

Donnie is the main grease monkey of the family though, what with the making of all those vehicles and whatnot; he's got his approved stereotyped 'manly traits' about him, while the others on the reverse have their "weak" points as well.

edit: Heck... get all four of them grimy like that and I doubt Raph will care much more than Donnie would. But in this case it's prob Leo and Mikey's turn to be stereotyped "less manly" as I could see both of them not wanting to be that filthy for no longer than they have to be. lol They've all got their stuff.

Prowler
01-09-2017, 10:40 PM
That's mainly the part that I've assumed it to be. The least aggressive of the bunch and the least 'in your face' type, not fitting society's very limited idea/ideal of masculinity. And doesn't help that his demeanor exists alongside the clear contrast of Raph having more than his share of raw aggression - who, what, many might think he'd be leader if he wasn't so unhinged, but why... because aggression?

Side note - with regard to aggressiveness and masculinity in alpha/leadership, Reader's Digest has a nice article: Think You Know What “Alpha Male” Means? These Wolves Will Prove You Wrong (http://www.rd.com/advice/relationships/alpha-male-wolves/)

Donnie is the main grease monkey of the family though, what with the making of all those vehicles and whatnot; he's got his approved stereotyped 'manly traits' about him, while the others on the reverse have their "weak" points as well.
Exactly.

Being overtly aggressive isn't a good sign. Raphael in many of his incarnations is way too impulsive. That's not being "manly". When i was a teenager I was also more impulsive and aggressive than I am today, but was way manlier when i was 14? Hell no.

Donatello is usually more calm and collected, like Leonardo is. Having a good control of your emotions and being rational is also considered "manly" am I right?

IndigoErth
01-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Donatello is usually more calm and collected, like Leonardo is. Having a good control of your emotions and being rational is also considered "manly" am I right?
Definitely.

Funny thing is, in that article I linked, the "alpha wolves" they studied, don't sound like Raph personalities...they sound a lot like Leo and Donnie types. :tcool:

The term alpha male connotes a man who at every moment demonstrates that he’s in control in the home and who away from home can become snarling and aggressive.

This alpha male stereotype comes from a misunderstanding of the real thing.

By observing wolves in free-living packs in Yellowstone National Park, I’ve seen that the leadership of the ranking male is not forced, not domineering, and not aggressive to those on his team.

“The main characteristic of an alpha male wolf,” the veteran wolf researcher Rick McIntyre told me as we were watching gray wolves, “is a quiet confidence, quiet self-assurance. You know what you need to do; you know what’s best for your pack. You lead by example. You’re very comfortable with that. You have a calming effect.”

The point is, alpha males are not aggressive. They don’t need to be. “Think of an emotionally secure man or a great champion. Whatever he needed to prove is already proven,” he said.

So all those guys out there trying hard to be hyper masculine and/or hyper aggressive and buying into that "alpha" thing... I guess they still have much to prove. Types like Donnie don't need to.