PDA

View Full Version : Rob Paulsen had stage 3 throat cancer in 2016

Autbot_Benz
01-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Rob just uploaded a podcast explaining why there was no talking toons in 2016. Its because he had stage 3 throat cancer. Thankfully he got treatment and is getting better. Wow I had no idea

http://podbay.fm/show/438294853/e/1484081415?autostart=1

Jester
01-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Powder just told me. Hope all is going well. I wondered if something was up, he's been looking frail lately.

ToTheNines
01-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Dang. I haven't kept up with Talkin Toons and didn't realize anything was up. So glad he's doing well, though. Truly a legend and a big part of my childhood (and adulthood, for that matter!)

He's gotta live long enough to voice Leo and Mikey, too.

oldmanwinters
01-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Oh, wow, I'm glad to hear things are looking on the positive!:teek:

IndigoErth
01-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Well that's sad to hear. Glad it was caught and he sounds like he's doing okay. Eesh, life can be pretty curly (edit: lol I mean cruelly) ironic... :ohwell:

CyberCubed
01-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Very sad. How does one get stage 3 throat cancer, is it from smoking I assume?

Utrommaniac
01-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Oh man, that sucks big time. While it's good that he's gotten better, this just feels like his days are numbered.

Much like how I feel about Michael York having amyloidosis.

MikeandRaph87
01-10-2017, 08:57 PM
I found a little more. It said here that he caught it in February of 2016 and beat it in July. I am surprised it never hit the news. Perhaps its because voice actors even the leites like Paulsen fly under the radar and we wanted to deal with it in private.
http://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/2016/12/21/53912/voice-actors-the-unseen-heroes-of-film-and-televis/

ranger_scout
01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Thank goodness he's doing better. I met him a few weeks ago and he was so friendly and just a delight to talk to.

MikeandRaph87
01-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Thank goodness he's doing better. I met him a few weeks ago and he was so friendly and just a delight to talk to.

Lucky! He never comes anywhere never where I live. Could you tell he had any medical treatment? Jester did say he looked pale in photos.

IndigoErth
01-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Much like how I feel about Michael York having amyloidosis.
:( Sad, didn't know that. That one's definitely a given and what my dad died from 14 months ago, one month after finally being diagnosed. It's life expectancy can be really short and not a cure in sight.

For Rob I suppose it depends on the specifics and I hope it was a more easily curable variety that hasn't spread. That would have been heartbreaking had Donnie had to be recast for the loss of his actor. So glad that isn't the case.

Andrew NDB
01-10-2017, 09:13 PM
That one's definitely a given and what my dad died from 14 months ago, one month after finally being diagnosed.

Very sorry to hear that, Indigo.

ranger_scout
01-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Lucky! He never comes anywhere never where I live. Could you tell he had any medical treatment? Jester did say he looked pale in photos.

I was just so happy to meet him that I didn't notice at all.

Autbot_Benz
01-10-2017, 09:48 PM
I met Rob back in 2014 when he did a small Animaniacs live in Ventura where I live. He was super nice chatted with him for a minute and got a pic with him.

ProactiveMan
01-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Poor guy - it must be really frightening for a voice actor to be diagnosed with throat cancer. It would be scary for anyone, but even beating it could potentially end your career.

TheBlueTurtle1
01-11-2017, 04:34 AM
shocked, glad he's going to be ok.

ssjup81
01-11-2017, 07:01 AM
I can't help but wonder what caused it. Was he a smoker? Regardless, I'm glad he fought against it. Would be sad to lose one of my all-time favs.

TheBlueTurtle1
01-11-2017, 07:07 AM
I can't help but wonder what caused it. Was he a smoker? Regardless, I'm glad he fought against it. Would be sad to lose one of my all-time favs.

I was actually saying to my brother a few months back, how thin he was looking, I guess the signs he was unwell were there. Just glad he's getting better.

MikeandRaph87
01-11-2017, 08:52 AM
I was actually saying to my brother a few months back, how thin he was looking, I guess the signs he was unwell were there. Just glad he's getting better.

It was probably due to radiation therapy treatment. I respect him for keeping it to himself during the cancer fight, but we would give this unsung piece of Generation Y's childhood a mountain of support.

plastroncafe
01-11-2017, 08:58 AM
As we say in my family: F*ck Cancer

Jester
01-11-2017, 10:24 AM
He said in the podcast that he kept it private because he didn't want pity, since he's 60 and lived a good life. On the day he got his diagnosis, he went on, thousands of others, including children were getting similar and in some cases worse news. He now sees this as a way to be a voice and help to others with cancer. Glad he seems well, aside from fried salivary glands and a lack of taste, both things he's working to fix as well.

God speed, Rob. May your road to recovery continue.

CyberCubed
01-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Dammit, I don't want to think of the original TMNT cartoon staff dying off. It was sad enough when James Avery died a few years ago.

Darth Knuckles
01-11-2017, 11:32 AM
That is crazy to hear! Rob Paulsen is one of my all time favorite voice actors (of course being a TMNT fan) and with how terrible last year was for people passing away, I did not need to hear this. Wishing Rob the best of luck in his recovery and beating this cancer.

ranger_scout
01-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Poor guy - it must be really frightening for a voice actor to be diagnosed with throat cancer. It would be scary for anyone, but even beating it could potentially end your career.

I know. Had it permanently affected his voice, it would've been like 20 years ago when Julie Andrews developed hoarseness in her voice during the Broadway run of Victor/Victoria. She had surgery to remove non-cancerous nodules from her throat and her beautiful singing voice we all knew and loved was gone forever. She was heartbroken over this and tried to have fixed, but she never accomplished this. Nowadays, she mainly focuses on writing children's books and she also has a new Netflix show for kids in the works.

MikeandRaph87
01-12-2017, 08:43 PM
I know. Had it permanently affected his voice, it would've been like 20 years ago when Julie Andrews developed hoarseness in her voice during the Broadway run of Victor/Victoria. She had surgery to remove non-cancerous nodules from her throat and her beautiful singing voice we all knew and loved was gone forever. She was heartbroken over this and tried to have fixed, but she never accomplished this. Nowadays, she mainly focuses on writing children's books and she also has a new Netflix show for kids in the works.

Paulsen sampled his WB! characters to prove he hasn't lost the voices.

Left you a request, Ranger.

Jephael
01-12-2017, 09:50 PM
"Faith... kindness... passion... humor... oh and Cheez Itz."

Man I've missed this guy!!!

myconius
01-12-2017, 10:38 PM
:( Sad, didn't know that. That one's definitely a given and what my dad died from 14 months ago, one month after finally being diagnosed. It's life expectancy can be really short and not a cure in sight.

For Rob I suppose it depends on the specifics and I hope it was a more easily curable variety that hasn't spread. That would have been heartbreaking had Donnie had to be recast for the loss of his actor. So glad that isn't the case.

i'm very sorry for your loss.

Jester
01-13-2017, 05:44 AM
"Faith... kindness... passion... humor... oh and Cheez Itz."

Man I've missed this guy!!!

And when he said it my brain went here:
JA7CFHpok3M

FredWolfLeonardo
01-14-2017, 02:04 AM
Glad he's feeling well now. It would've been a tragedy if the cancer got the better of him.

Since it says that he got it around about early 2016, does that mean he was still doing some of his work of voice roles at the time? I think there were episodes of the Nick show in production at that time.

Vicky82
01-14-2017, 03:31 AM
Glad he's ok.

Glad he's feeling well now. It would've been a tragedy if the cancer got the better of him.

Since it says that he got it around about early 2016, does that mean he was still doing some of his work of voice roles at the time? I think there were episodes of the Nick show in production at that time.

As I follow them on Twitter, they do Tweet when they are at recordings. They only do recordings on Mondays sometimes Tuesdays.

Greg and Rob do tweet when they at recordings sometimes and Rob was definitely doing recordings between Feb and July but this was also the time Sean Astin's Mother had died, so Sean was off for a couple of months. So voice recordings did go quiet for a bit except for Greg Cipes tweeting that he was doing recordings.

I remember that Rob Paulson accidentally tweeted a list of voice actors for this 2nd crossover and Sean and Seth weren't on the list. That was in March because it was just before the 1st crossover aired

Even when recordings had finished in September, Rob was still there at least a couple of weeks doing recordings/ADR.

victory_angel
01-15-2017, 02:09 AM
Anyone think this might be one of the reasons behind the current hiatus and news reguarding future seasons.

I mean Rob would have been in touch with nick about his treatment. So the production staff would have put a pause on anything production wise so they could figure out what needs to be done. They would continue recording season fifve as planned and bring Rob in when he was able. But they don't want to go forward with anything beyond that if there isn't anything concrete.

we all know season 5 is in the can and any further seasons are uncertain. But let's say for the sake of possibility they do get season 6. If Rob suddenly needs to retire as the voice of Donatello they are going to need to find someone to take Rob's place and that's easier to plan out when things aren't in production.

Shark_Blade
01-15-2017, 03:42 AM
I thought he died ... what with Carrie Fisher and all other deaths recently.

Nice that he's recovering.